• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 8 + XL (PS3) / CE (PSV/PS4) |OT| Don't Pursue Lu Bu (In Next Gen)

dhlt25

hyped haven't play a dynasty warrior game since the DW3 days on PS2 I think. Just bought a used copy of 8 for $15 on gamefly and will get a digital version of XL. Also bought sengoku barasa since I'm in the mood for hack and slash.

molnizzle

This series has always seemed silly to me so I've never actually given it a chance. One of my buddies swears by it though, so this one has my attention.

Is this not cross-buy, though? $100 to play native versions on both PS4 and Vita seems like way too much. Is there any bundle or other type of discount for getting both versions?

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
how long are these games?

hawk2025

Hey guys, so what do we know about the PS4 version?

Since the game is out in Japan, do we know how exactly it runs? Resolution, framerate, etc? I read a couple of impressions in this thread but nothing too conclusive so far.

I can't find a ton of info :(

coughlanio

Haven't played a Musou game in nearly 15 years, would the upcoming PS4 release of 8 be a good place to get on the wagon? I'm currently downloading Next on Vita (was free on PS+). Is it considered a good entry in the series?

Haven't played a Musou game in nearly 15 years, would the upcoming PS4 release of 8 be a good place to get on the wagon? I'm currently downloading Next on Vita (was free on PS+). Is it considered a good entry in the series?

Personally I really dislike next because of the terrible minigames. They should have let you disable them. Also duels in that game are the worst ever:(

Tabby

Next is pretty terrible, the mini games and gimmicks bring the game down.
If you're looking to jump on I'd recommend DW8 on the PS4, or Warriors Orochi 3.

Aerocrane

DW Next is a bit gimmicky as it is trying to use as many of the Vita's features as possible. It has some pretty silly (and really boring) minigames that use the touchscreen and the gyroscope and really annoying duels with enemy characters where you have to use the touchscreen. Other than that the gameplay is quite similar to Dynasty Warriors 7. Dynasty Warriors 8 adds some new mechanics to the combat as shown in the OP, and the PS4 version includes the story mode so it would be a good place to get back in to the series.

hamchan

DW8 is considered the best of the series from the last generation, so it's definitely worth jumping on. DW Next is alright but like others have said, filled with gimmicky stuff.

Lu Xun and the WU Tang Clan or bust.

200px-Luxun-dw3concept.jpg

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Man, I want to buy this JUST because it fixes DW8's absolutely horrific weapon upgrading system, which killed a lot of my enjoyment of the game. Like, all the new changes and additions are awesome of course, but I kinda feel like I'd be paying for a patch. :lol

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Hey guys, so what do we know about the PS4 version?

Since the game is out in Japan, do we know how exactly it runs? Resolution, framerate, etc? I read a couple of impressions in this thread but nothing too conclusive so far.

I can't find a ton of info :(

Not much needs to be said, really- the frame rate is still all over the place but better than the PS3 version, enemy pop-in is gone so there's huge amounts of characters on-screen, and the game looks good in 1080P but the added blur/fog field of view effect can be annoying, but can be turned down or off entirely.

The game came out in Asian territories last year and is very much a launch game PS3 port-up. Don't expect to be blown away by the visuals but you will definitely appreciate the improvements.

And check Youtube. There's plenty of 1080P game play vids up. Might need to search under the Japanese name "Shin Sangoku Musou 7 With Moushouden.

cripterion

Thinking of getting this game on ps4 once it hits the psn store but what's up with the big ass map in the UI? Also this thing should be a crossbuy between PS4/Vita, not shelling another 50 bucks to play the same thing on portable especially since we have remote play :/

dreamfall

Welp, I'll have to roll into a BestBuy and hope for the best tomorrow!

I'm excited to have the DW series now on PS4, but it'll be a pain trying to find it in store especially with Amazon missing it :/

Dezzy

I rented DW8 for 360 a while back, and it was the first DW I've ever played. I only played for less than an hour or so. It felt like it was all just slashing away mindlessly at tons of enemies, and nothing more. DW8 CE being on PS4 kinda makes me want to try it again though. Is there more to the game than it looks like at first glance?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Had a ton of fun with this over the weekend. Game runs great in split screen aside from the last, burning village section of the Duon Zhuo death mission, where it dropped to something like 10FPS.

Trophies look impossible.

DryvBy

PS4 peoples! I'm going to be tearing it up this week if anyone wants a co-op buddy! You can add me: DryvBy.

And my cousin Seaya1. He bought a PS4 specifically to play this in 1080p/60fps.

I rented DW8 for 360 a while back, and it was the first DW I've ever played. I only played for less than an hour or so. It felt like it was all just slashing away mindlessly at tons of enemies, and nothing more. DW8 CE being on PS4 kinda makes me want to try it again though. Is there more to the game than it looks like at first glance?

DW7 was my first game in the series. It's mindless to a point. It's one of those games that needs to be experienced with a friend. You sort of make your own fun with the game. It's very mindless sometimes and not for everyone. I typically don't like these games (I hated 99 Nights or whatever on 360). But DW just has a cool cast. I've played through 7 almost enough to Platinum trophy it. I have a few others and the NEXT version on Vita. They're all the same style of games just with new characters and leveling aspects. It's best played with a friend.

EGOMON

Don't know about co-op. I do believe you might need to have the stages unlocked for both people (which was the case for WO3) but never tried DW8's co-op.

There's loot in forms of weapons. Every officer drops a random weapon upon defeat while playable officers drop their own weapon upon defeat.

All come with a random assortment of skills which you can use to fuse with other weapons and such.

I own WO3 and i absolutely love it but not having a proper co-op online turned me off form getting DW8 XL :(

cripterion

PS4 peoples! I'm going to be tearing it up this week if anyone wants a co-op buddy! You can add me: DryvBy.

And my cousin Seaya1. He bought a PS4 specifically to play this in 1080p/60fps.

DW7 was my first game in the series. It's mindless to a point. It's one of those games that needs to be experienced with a friend. You sort of make your own fun with the game. It's very mindless sometimes and not for everyone. I typically don't like these games (I hated 99 Nights or whatever on 360). But DW just has a cool cast. I've played through 7 almost enough to Platinum trophy it. I have a few others and the NEXT version on Vita. They're all the same style of games just with new characters and leveling aspects. It's best played with a friend.

People around here saying it's 30 fps even on ps4...

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Since people keep on asking, the TL;DR version is:

The Vita version has framerate issues and muffled sound quality. Weakest 'warriors' port on the Vita, but with that said everything is intact.

The PS4 version has a framerate similar to the PS3 version, but with improved visuals and no enemy pop-in. There's a foggy/blurry background effect that most hate. You can turn it off in-game.

If you have to choose between the two, get the game on PS4. You can always do remote play on Vita anyway.

And if any reviewers bash the PS4 version for that background effect, let 'em have it.

PS3 and Vita share the same list I believe. PS4 is separate.

Also found the Vita version size from the Asian release: it is 3.2GB.

I might go physical... :S

Plus remember when they release the Japanese voices DLC (yes they are doing this again), it'll probably be another GB.

I've never played Dynasty Warriors. I enjoy character action games. I'm currently playing Infamous: Second Son, South Park, Thief and Tomb Raider.

Should I buy DW8 for PS4/Vita? Guide me, DynastyGAF.

BadAss2961

The PS4 version has a framerate similar to the PS3 version, but with improved visuals and no enemy pop-in. There's a foggy/blurry background effect that most hate. You can turn it off in-game.
Which is?

How often and how much does it drop from 60? Just talking single player.

Top Bottom