• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 8 + XL (PS3) / CE (PSV/PS4) |OT| Don't Pursue Lu Bu (In Next Gen)

Is there any point to playing the older story modes in the PS4 version? I'm assuming there's no way to reverse import my save and get credit for them if I ever get a copy of the PS3 vanilla game.

esterk

Why shouldn't I pursue Lu bu
df5b600922a991db68e09dc12babdb2e5605d9823a9865df2db1d4ada8a7dec0.jpg

Lu Bu is notorious for being a badass in the series and most of the time if you fight him early on, you will die.

BadAss2961

I say let him fight Lu Bu with his raw character.

You cut through hundreds of enemies thinking you're unstoppable. Then you run into Lu Bu, hit him, then watch as he doesn't flinch before he one-shots you. Game over... It's like a rite of passage for every DW player.

Why shouldn't I pursue Lu bu

Cause we wouldn't want you to rage quit after losing a stage cause Lu Bu one-shot you.

Is there any point to playing the older story modes in the PS4 version? I'm assuming there's no way to reverse import my save and get credit for them if I ever get a copy of the PS3 vanilla game.

I believe you'll still need to unlock the character (get their first playable stage) in story mode in order to use them in free mode still for the Vita/PS4 version.

Unless they made everyone unlocked from the start.

I've got a random musou question? How come they pronounce Cao Cao's name now (sauw sauw) and not (cow cow)? I've played DW3, WO2 and WO3 and it's always been the later. Why did they change this?

BadAss2961

Dat minute long musou.
I've got a random musou question? How come they pronounce Cao Cao's name now (sauw sauw) and not (cow cow)? I've played DW3, WO2 and WO3 and it's always been the later. Why did they change this?

I think they switched it to the correct pronunciation. The damage is already done though -- i'll always call him Cow Cow.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

That's actually a closer approximation to what his name is actually supposed to sound like.

I have to admit, though, the crappy B-movie dialogue and botched pronunciations of the early DW games did have an amusing appeal to them, kinda like Resident Evil. I always did change the voices to JPN if I had the chance, however.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
That's actually a closer approximation to what his name is actually supposed to sound like.

I have to admit, though, the crappy B-movie dialogue and botched pronunciations of the early DW games did have an amusing appeal to them, kinda like Resident Evil. I always did change the voices to JPN if I had the chance, however.

I remember for the older games the type of voice acting they gave wang jian made me very, very, sad lol

Dat minute long musou.

I blame the old school challenge mode for finding the musou pots in the crowd of people

Cow Cow do you intend to end it here at Chan Ban?

Why is this simple plain uninteresting dialog forever impeded into my head?

I just don't know.

South Eastern winds? Zhuge Liang! He is a devil!

But it's Dynasty Warriors... I don''t care how nonsensical the story is. I care much more about the amount of content the game has and how the cutscenes and situations will change from character to character. Faction based stories are more coherent, but they're also very limiting compared to the old arrangement. Instead of a huge number of different story combinations, you get the same story over and over again, battle for battle.

Remember how just about every character even had their very own set of CG cutscenes? The old formula was worth it on that alone.
The series is based on historical characters and there's only one way things actually turned out, everybody got fucked, Sima Yi won, it might not be as fantastical but the series has gotten completely out of hand in terms of having any semblance of sanity and it's high time they rein it in. Not saying it should be like Romance of the Three Kingdoms though.

I'm probably late on this realization but there's also a question attached to it.

I only just noticed DW8 XL CE on the PS4 doesn't include the vanilla DW8 trophies and only seems to include the XL trophies. Is there a reason for this?

BadAss2961

The series is based on historical characters and there's only one way things actually turned out, everybody got fucked, Sima Yi won, it might not be as fantastical but the series has gotten completely out of hand in terms of having any semblance of sanity and it's high time they rein it in. Not saying it should be like Romance of the Three Kingdoms though.
Well... After dozens of games based on the same shit, historical accuracy has to take a backseat. lol

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I enjoyed it a lot but watch the original 2 movies instead of the butchered Western release (in which they tried to put the content of both movies into one).

You can get both versions of the film in the west, in the UK anyway. The 2 movie version, which is awesome, and the condensed one (which is horrible).

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Welcome to
Wu
It'll stop...mostly. Some of the other factions have the same. It's just part of the story.

Yeah, it was just so jarring at first. Could the characters be saved at all? I noticed in the gallery, there's some battles I skipped with "???" on them.

I believe you have to command the bodyguards to do something (their skills so far is what I have done) and you'll gain some leadership exp.

Not sure if there are any other ways to gain leadership.

Yep, easy as pie after I took your advice. Got to level 99 leadership experience in about 12-14 battles.

At least we're not seeing Sun Jian alive during Wu Zhang Plains. Man those early Dynasty Warriors games were weird.

It's kind of funny. Although the designs and weapons are more fantasy based now than before, the storyline actually sticks much closer to the novel, history, and some other sources in some cases, than in the older games.

The last Dynasty Warriors game I played was number 4 on the PS2. I see that they've made the story more grounded in actual history, but is it just me or do the battles not seem as epic as they were in the early PS2 games? The maps seem a lot smaller, and I remember how excited I used to be to get a horse and charge across the map to relieve a surrounded unit. Now I don't even use the horse at all. I also remember fighting elephants as well lol

matmanx1

Would you guys recommend the movie Red Cliff?

Red Cliff is excellent, assuming the 2 disc version. I was actually recommending it to a friend of mine the other day who is a Dynasty Warriors fan but has never really known the historical significance behind the games.

I bought this game on Saturday from Gamestop. It's the best looking one ever, no question, but I am not a fan of the blur (Depth of Field?) and hope the patch to turn it off comes soon.
Otherwise I find this version to be quite excellent!

Giolon

Yeah, it was just so jarring at first. Could the characters be saved at all? I noticed in the gallery, there's some battles I skipped with "???" on them.

The last Dynasty Warriors game I played was number 4 on the PS2. I see that they've made the story more grounded in actual history, but is it just me or do the battles not seem as epic as they were in the early PS2 games? The maps seem a lot smaller, and I remember how excited I used to be to get a horse and charge across the map to relieve a surrounded unit. Now I don't even use the horse at all. I also remember fighting elephants as well lol

Battles that say ?? on them have special objectives in them that may allow a character to live through the battle and/or appear in later battles. Once you complete a story line, all of the ?? will be revealed to see the what the objective is. When you complete all of them within a story, it will open a hypothetical path (vs the historical path) for the Story.

I still use Horses a lot, especially since you can call & auto-mount now. Some battles really do require the speed you need to get to Officers or bases in time to save them.

Loving this game, cant wait for the patch to fix DOF. It would be nice to be able to move the hud elements around, the map is huge and I wanna push it more into the corner. Played some split screen, wished we could do a vertical split but it wasnt too bad.

Let the grind commence!

Sophia

Battles that say ?? on them have special objectives in them that may allow a character to live through the battle and/or appear in later battles. Once you complete a story line, all of the ?? will be revealed to see the what the objective is. When you complete all of them within a story, it will open a hypothetical path (vs the historical path) for the Story.

I still use Horses a lot, especially since you can call & auto-mount now. Some battles really do require the speed you need to get to Officers or bases in time to save them.

Several of the Wu stages are like that. You simply can't make it unless you use a horse. Effectively mandatory for some hypothetical objectives.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Dat minute long musou.
I dunno if the recent ones can do this (I haven't played this series since the last PS2 game) but it was neat when you could equip the right combinations of items to give you musou gain even when performing a musou attack. I think I had musou meter gain+, and a lightning element, and for some reason whenever enemies hit the ground, the AOE lightning proc would generate musou for me, even during a musou move. This was pretty OP with Sima Yi, as in a crowded stage like Wu Zhang plains, with enough enemies around, I'd be holding down the circle button for like fucking 3 minutes. Shit was crazy. I think I did this in DW3XL (The best one).

I remember for the older games the type of voice acting they gave wang jian made me very, very, sad lol
:p
The only thing I don't understand is, if it wasn't the correct pronunciation, why did it take nearly 5 or 6 different sequels to get it right?
Beats me. I guess they finally got tired of all the complaints in the mail, and whoever is in charge decided to give a shit.

Parakeetman

I dunno if the recent ones can do this (I haven't played this series since the last PS2 game) but it was neat when you could equip the right combinations of items to give you musou gain even when performing a musou attack. I think I had musou meter gain+, and a lightning element, and for some reason whenever enemies hit the ground, the AOE lightning proc would generate musou for me, even during a musou move. This was pretty OP with Sima Yi, as in a crowded stage like Wu Zhang plains, with enough enemies around, I'd be holding down the circle button for like fucking 3 minutes. Shit was crazy. I think I did this in DW3XL (The best one).

:p

Beats me. I guess they finally got tired of all the complaints in the mail, and whoever is in charge decided to give a shit.

I mean seriously all the other characters who are chinese speak normally, yet someone felt that it was necessary to make one guy have some sort of "asian english" accent...

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm kind of worried I won't have any knowledge of the characters or history. I took one class in college on Chinese history but we just grazed over the ROT3K period. Da fug is lu bu

Red Cliff is really damn good. I even liked the SSX sappy side story, xP. My biggest gripe is that I wish Cao Cao's troops got more focus than being generic villians.

That's actually one thing DW7 certainly did greatly. I loved Wei's story mode in that game. It is nice to see them as actually people and not just "the evil ones who must be defeated". Here's to hoping it's as good in 8.

Sophia

There's one specific ability I like that increases the item drop rate significantly. So I can pick up musou restoring items while I'm in a raged Musou attack. It's AWESOME!!!

Parakeetman

I will be the one to pursue and defeat lubu

lu-bu-o.gif

I'm kind of worried I won't have any knowledge of the characters or history. I took one class in college on Chinese history but we just grazed over the ROT3K period. Da fug is lu bu

Considering how little resources we have in the US for that kinda stuff, dont sweat it. The game itself is a combination of all sorts of things plays, books, actual history etc of the three kingdoms period. So its not like its 100% accurate. If anything will at least drive an interest to look up information and such. I dont think there really are that many fans who were originally well versed in Chinese History before playing Dynasty Warriors.

Its kind of like Japan with the Samurai Warriors series, people may know some stuff about what happened, but they dont know all the fine details or everyone who appears. Outside the big names like Nobunaga, Hideyoshi, Tokugawa.

hamchan

Yeah I really got into the Three Kingdoms period after playing Dynasty Warriors 4 back in the day. But since every side seemed to win the story mode in that game I did my own research to find out the actual history. I still haven't bothered to read the actual Romance of the Three Kingdoms book though.

Yep, that's the whole hypothetical or what-if battles.

Any of the XL additions laser beam guys?

Yu Jin: spear using guy with elements
Zhu Ran: FIRE BOW
Fa Zheng: Cloth traps
Chen Gong: Shadow soldiers
Lu Lingqi: That cross halberd thingy

So I guess the closest will be Zhu Ran but nothing like Zhuge Liang's laser beams.

I will be the one to pursue and defeat lubu

I mean it's not impossible, but it just takes forever. It isn't hard if you abuse the whole storm rush. Amusing he doesn't weapon switch before hand.

I'm really hoping Chaos difficulty brings a challange. The game seems far too easy with good weapons and item set ups. We will see.

Well if Chaos is too easy, try Ultimate difficulty. Death by a million arrows, woo.

Yeah I really got into the Three Kingdoms period after playing Dynasty Warriors 4 back in the day. But since every side seemed to win the story mode in that game I did my own research to find out the actual history. I still haven't bothered to read the actual Romance of the Three Kingdoms book though.

They got rid of the whole every kingdom wins in the end for the historical story modes now. Though some of the kingdom stories ends in some weird places.

Shengar

Its going to be the usual. Every named character blocks and then getting juggled forever by enemies till you die.

Why you forgot ARROWS?
Dem goddamn ARROWS. It worse when you get hit you don't get staggered by it because it means stream of ARROWS will deliver death unnoticed.

Top Bottom