• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 8 + XL (PS3) / CE (PSV/PS4) |OT| Don't Pursue Lu Bu (In Next Gen)

Sora_N

What's up with the water in the Vita version? Unless you look at it from a certain angle it's just a solid block of colour.

imLhGO1.jpg

IlUnX8y.jpg

8kUrvXz.jpg

Every stage? Damn. that's disappointing

As someone who loves edf and other dumb fun games, I feel like I should like dynasty warriors games but I have been pretty bored in the past by them

yeah thats something else i wanna discuss.

STAGE DESIGN.

is it me or have the last few DW stages been....ho hum?

Hu Lao Gate was always the one stage you could count on to be the definitive grinding area or at least one of particular epic scale.

but ever since dw 6, i dont know if they hired new people or whatever, but everything has gone down the shit.

The Yellow Rebellion was also another stage i could count on for whacky or non-sequitur gameplay, but now its just....boring.

STAGE DESIGN.

is it me or have the last few DW stages been....ho hum?

It's not just you. Though they may look better, the PS3 generation of DWs have some weak stages compared to the majority of the PS2 generations stages.

Heck, if you got the DW3 Fan Castle DLC in DW7, it was like night and day to how well designed that one stage is compared to most of the default ones.

I want to say there are many reasons. Troops having less presence than before, no more personalized events (everybody having a unique taunt against Sima Yi in DW3 Wu Zhang), less reason to explore maps (hidden life max ups), and no more changes in music depending on situation (victory theme when you have the overwhelming advantage, boss theme when you approach the enemy commander, etc).

Tagyhag

It's not just you. Though they may look better, the PS3 generation of DWs have some weak stages compared to the majority of the PS2 generations stages.

Heck, if you got the DW3 Fan Castle DLC in DW7, it was like night and day to how well designed that one stage is compared to most of the default ones.

I want to say there are many reasons. Troops having less presence than before, no more personalized events (everybody having a unique taunt against Sima Yi in DW3 Wu Zhang), less reason to explore maps (hidden life max ups), and no more changes in music depending on situation (victory theme when you have the overwhelming advantage, boss theme when you approach the enemy commander, etc).

Ugh I remember that, back then the games had more love put into them.

Still fun but it really is missing that spark of uniqueness, I feel like all the stages just blend in. Battle of He Fei is a huge example of this.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

The sacrifices of development costs.

Yaqoub

A friend and I picked this up on PS4 in hopes to co-op all the stories. Problem is the random disconnects that won't even allow us to complete a single stage. Sometimes we get lucky and finish one level but then it goes nuts disconnecting continuously.

Did Tecmo Koei mention if it'll be addressed in a patch soon? DOF doesn't bother me as much as this since I can still play the freaking game with DOF enabled...

On the bright side I haven't had this much fun playing a DW game in a long time, but that's maybe because I've taken a very long break since my last one (DW6 which I haven't played much because I thought it was boring).

Tried tweeting at US/EU TK twitter accounts maybe they acknowledge the online/DOF issues. :/

Giolon

A friend and I picked this up on PS4 in hopes to co-op all the stories. Problem is the random disconnects that won't even allow us to complete a single stage. Sometimes we get lucky and finish one level but then it goes nuts disconnecting continuously.

Did Tecmo Koei mention if it'll be addressed in a patch soon? DOF doesn't bother me as much as this since I can still play the freaking game with DOF enabled...

On the bright side I haven't had this much fun playing a DW game in a long time, but that's maybe because I've taken a very long break since my last one (DW6 which I haven't played much because I thought it was boring).

Tried tweeting at US/EU TK twitter accounts maybe they acknowledge the online/DOF issues. :/

Tecmo hasn't said anything about anything. A shame about the multiplayer troubles. I was able to co-op through most of the Story mode with a friend on the PS3 vanilla version w/o any trouble.

I'm kind of worried I won't have any knowledge of the characters or history. I took one class in college on Chinese history but we just grazed over the ROT3K period. Da fug is lu bu

Firstly Lu Bu's is known to be the most dangerous warrior during that time period, though that title goes to Guan Yu later on.

As for not knowing the history etc that wont be a problem,, storymode is set up so that it will tell you what's happening as you progress on a nation basis, it won't go too deep into characters themselves (as there are loads to cover) with some obvious exceptions but key events etc are covered.

Yaqoub

Tecmo hasn't said anything about anything. A shame about the multiplayer troubles. I was able to co-op through most of the Story mode with a friend on the PS3 vanilla version w/o any trouble.

*sigh*

It's so much fun with a friend when it works.

Hope they address these disconnects soon. Playing solo isn't as enjoyable.

Biker19

Banned
Sometimes I wonder if more is really better, though I do not know if it was not a problem with the ps360 version, since I only really played DW2 and Gundam 3 before going DW8/PS4.

IMO, it really is. The more, the better! :)

With PS4 now here, Tecmo Koei can now make a proper next-gen DW game with as much enemies & NPC's on the screen along with having even more better graphics that they want without raising budgets, due to PS4 being much more powerful and developer friendly than PS3 is, & because of development costs being the same as PS3's.

Timu

Gonna buy this today hopefully(if any of my stores even have it) and this will be my 1st Dynasty Warriors game ever.

Parakeetman

Gonna buy this today hopefully(if any of my stores even have it) and this will be my 1st Dynasty Warriors game ever.

Hope you enjoy it! Great game with lots of content. Already spent more time with it than I did with Infamous Second Son which had cleared last night.

SmokyDave

Really looking forward to grabbing this on Friday.

Quick question (I apologise if it's been asked a thousand times), am I right in thinking there's no touchscreen / gyro stuff in the Vita version? I'd assume not because it's a multiplat, but I'd like to be sure. Really bummed me out in DW: Next.

Hystzen

The biggest gimp map wise is Hei Fei they keep playing down Zhang Liao and his bro team fucking up Wu. In DW2 Zhang Liao was like a more hyper strong Lu Bu he would mess you up but each new release getting weaker and weaker.

Quick question (I apologise if it's been asked a thousand times), am I right in thinking there's no touchscreen / gyro stuff in the Vita version? I'd assume not because it's a multiplat, but I'd like to be sure. Really bummed me out in DW: Next.

Yup, Vita version is pure button-mashing Dynasty Warriors goodness. No touch screen/backtouch/gyro controls in it!

Those touch screen bits really put me off in Next, too.

There is some touchscreen stuff in the vita version to replace what would be R3/L3 commands, nothing obtrusive and gimmicky like next. You can tap the map to change the map view, or press the character portrait to go rage mode, or the KO count to summon your horse (or hold to get on while running). It's all actual useful stuff that works.

SmokyDave

Yup, Vita version is pure button-mashing Dynasty Warriors goodness. No touch screen/backtouch/gyro controls in it!

Those touch screen bits really put me off in Next, too.
Thanks man, that's great news!

I tried to look past the gimmick stuff in DW: Next but it got really draining after a while. Can't wait to download this and get some 'proper' warrioring done.

There is some touchscreen stuff in the vita version to replace what would be R3/L3 commands, nothing obtrusive and gimmicky like next. You can tap the map to change the map view, or press the character portrait to go rage mode, or the KO count to summon your horse.
Ah, I can definitely live with that. Cheers!

Tabby

Thanks man, that's great news!

I tried to look past the gimmick stuff in DW: Next but it got really draining after a while. Can't wait to download this and get some 'proper' warrioring done.

Ah, I can definitely live with that. Cheers!
Tell us what you think.
I'm not sure if I should get the Vita version or if I should wait until I get a PS4.

Lucifon

I was considering picking up the Vita version but that horrible water screenshot above is putting me off. Is the Vita version in need of a patch? What kind of multiplayer options does it have?

DryvBy

I need some DW8 friends. I have a few but I need more.

PSN: DryvBy

And let me know you're from GAF. I get request all the time and I delete them if they're not someone I know or GAF.

SmokyDave

Tell us what you think.
I'm not sure if I should get the Vita version or if I should wait until I get a PS4.
I'll try, but I'm shit at giving impressions for franchises I like, they're almost overwhelmingly positive.

I intend to double dip. Vita first, and then PS4 version when I know I'll have some time to play it.

Parakeetman

Tell us what you think.

The PS4 version I can tell you right away its pretty nice. Look at my past post video to give you an example of how it looks in action, around the 3 minute mark is where shit gets hilarious. Footage from the JP version. Set the YT quality to 1080p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybWx0QJiAB4

Unless you need to play it right now would suggest the PS4 one.

Just finished the Wu campaign (my main Kingdom) on the Vita. Thanks again, Sophia, for cementing my purchasing decision! Moving on to Wei shortly.

As regards performance, I haven't found anything unplayable, except for Rage mode. Without fail. On the Vita the added effects just slow it down to uncontrollability. Granted, Rage mode is more or less automatic, but it would be nice if I could, I don't know, perform some combos during it.

This might sound stupid but can DW8 Vanilla PS3 and DW8XL coop together on Vanilla content?

I have DW8 PS3 and was thinking of picking this up on Vita just to couch coop on 2 different screens (with one account on PS3 and the other on Vita). Would I need to buy XL PS3 as well for this to work?

So got my Vita version (Europe), did the NA version get updated and the ability to upload the save data become available ("cloud") or do I just save the vanilla version's data?

Would be rather annoying if I had to wait for vanilla's update even though I've already got the game.

So got my Vita version (Europe), did the NA version get updated and the ability to upload the save data become available ("cloud") or do I just save the vanilla version's data?

Would be rather annoying if I had to wait for vanilla's update even though I've already got the game.

Vanilla 8 on ps3 got an update to allow the save data upload. It's an option in the save menu. It's possible you already got it and didnt realize it if you have auto updates one.

OSHAN

I just went to my local store to buy it and they won't sell it to the 4th; it's the street date they have in their system.

No Gamestops have it in stock around me.

Amazon only has the import.

What is up with this PS4 release?

Hollycat

I bought DW8 complete for vita last night. My god the framerate is awful, I wish I could return or upgrade to the PS4 version.

I recommend waiting for a patch before buying the vita version. The freakin intro cutscene lagged! The cutscene to introduce the Wei storyline LAGS.

I'm talking 10-15 fps, when not in combat. In the field it actually does better. I can't believe these horrible textures are causing slowdown though. It seriously barely looks better than Warriors Orochi 2 on PSP, and doesn't look as nice as DW NEXT

Also it's weird that on startup it asks you to locate old save data on Vita when A: 8 was never released on Vita seperately, and B: Deleting a game deletes the save on Vita.

Vanilla 8 on ps3 got an update to allow the save data upload. It's an option in the save menu. It's possible you already got it and didnt realize it if you have auto updates one.

You are correct =D, gonna have fun now =)

I bought DW8 complete for vita last night. My god the framerate is awful, I wish I could return or upgrade to the PS4 version.

I recommend waiting for a patch before buying the vita version. The freakin intro cutscene lagged! The cutscene to introduce the Wei storyline LAGS.

I'm talking 10-15 fps, when not in combat. In the field it actually does better. I can't believe these horrible textures are causing slowdown though. It seriously barely looks better than Warriors Orochi 2 on PSP, and doesn't look as nice as DW NEXT

Also it's weird that on startup it asks you to locate old save data on Vita when A: 8 was never released on Vita seperately, and B: Deleting a game deletes the save on Vita.
Oh man =/ is there an ETA for a patch?

Kysen

So glad I went for the PS4 version, works with remote play too.

codhand

at first i was all like, We must fall back.

but now im all like, Isn't there anyone who can provide me with a decent challenge?

If it works like how the PS4 version does, then this is to import PS3 DW8 data. On PS3 I went to my save, hit square and uploaded it to Koei's server. When I started up the PS4 game I said yes to create a save then yes when asked to locate old data. It grabbed my PS3 8 save and imported my progress into my newly created PS4 version save.

SmokyDave

Hmmm. I might be better off getting the PS4 version and playing it over Remote Play then.

So glad I went for the PS4 version, works with remote play too.
I have probably played more using remote play than I have on the TV. It's so nice :D. My only gripe there is that I wish controls were like the Vita version instead of using the virtual l/r 2/3s on the backpad.

Hollycat

If it works like how the PS4 version does, then this is to import PS3 DW8 data. On PS3 I went to my save, hit square and uploaded it to Koei's server. When I started up the PS4 game I said yes to create a save then yes when asked to locate old data. It grabbed my PS3 8 save and imported my progress into my newly created PS4 version save.

On Vita it only searched my memory card.

codhand

Story > select Clan > Online > select a level > Recruit (gives you also the option to invite a friend)

Pretty self explanatory unless I misunderstood.

Good luck surviving the random disconnects :(

Thanks! yeah, just didn't know what Clan meant i guess / never noticed it. Double Dragon Neon has really bad disconnect issues, so I'm prepared, plus hoping for a patch.

Onto Wei. I'm really liking the revamped story mode so far; it gives you a chance to try out characters you never would otherwise.

And I pursued Lu Bu in the first two missions. Good times. Cao Cao's new EX attacks seem custom-built to pursue Lu Bu. At Hulao Gate, fighting Lu Bu with Xiahou Dun was harder, but I was backed up by premiers of the Coalition. Wonder if my successfully taking him out here changes anything?

Onto Wei. I'm really liking the revamped story mode so far; it gives you a chance to try out characters you never would otherwise.

And I pursued Lu Bu in the first two missions. Good times. Cao Cao's new EX attacks seem custom-built to pursue Lu Bu. At Hulao Gate, fighting Lu Bu with Xiahou Dun was harder, but I was backed up by premiers of the Coalition. Wonder if my successfully taking him out here changes anything?

It changes some lines in a later chapter I believe, but nothing really.

Top Bottom