• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 8 + XL (PS3) / CE (PSV/PS4) |OT| Don't Pursue Lu Bu (In Next Gen)

matmanx1

The PS4 version I can tell you right away its pretty nice. Look at my past post video to give you an example of how it looks in action, around the 3 minute mark is where shit gets hilarious. Footage from the JP version. Set the YT quality to 1080p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybWx0QJiAB4

Unless you need to play it right now would suggest the PS4 one.

Fun video. Is that Lu's EX move you were doing there at the 3 minute mark? Looks pretty crazy. I've barely scratched the surface of this game.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
The PS4 version I can tell you right away its pretty nice. Look at my past post video to give you an example of how it looks in action, around the 3 minute mark is where shit gets hilarious. Footage from the JP version. Set the YT quality to 1080p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybWx0QJiAB4

Unless you need to play it right now would suggest the PS4 one.

Holy shit! How do I do that attack thingy at the 3 minute mark?

Hollycat

I really miss how in DW4 going after certain enemies or being in one specific location at a special time could drastically change the battles.

Please someone tell me I'm not just being Nostalgic here and that DW4 was the bomb.

I think they've accidentally put the preorder DLC up for free on the EU PSN store. I nabbed them just incase because free costumes are better than no free costumes. I swear they did this with DW8 as well. Seems a bit odd for it to happen to both games.

Have they released any really good dlc stages for 8? I remember for 7 they basically remade dw2 by releasing all of its stages as dlc and that they had a bunch of stages from other games. I never played them, but I've heard great things about their quality. I'd like to nab some this go round.

It changes some lines in a later chapter I believe, but nothing really.

That's good enough for me, All I want is acknowledgment from Lu Bu! Hah.

Because the proportions of the UI seem to be perfectly preserved regardless of the game being on a 42" IPS or a 5" OLED, the map is actually a bit too small for the Vita. The zoomed-in map is useless, too. Is there any way to make the zoomed-in map not turn when you turn? Make it absolute, not relative?

I really miss how in DW4 going after certain enemies or being in one specific location at a special time could drastically change the battles.

Please someone tell me I'm not just being Nostalgic here and that DW4 was the bomb.

DW4 was a mixed bag for me in terms of stage design.

While I can't remember too many instances, there are a couple I recall that fit your description. If you were playing the Wei side on Mt. Jieting and managed to kill the Shu hostage before he escaped back into the enemy camp, I think the entire Shu army went on the offensive, whereas they would just sit back if the exchange was performed without bloodshed. Another, if I recall, is during the Yellow Turban Rebellion, and depending on who you did not kill (Zhang Bao/Liang), they would appear as the boss of the following stage. Heck, Zhang Jiao appears with Zhang Lu in a Wei extra mission mission if he's alive.

On the flipside, I think they HAD to be a bit more creative with the scenarios because all the maps were basically permutations of the same half a dozen or so general maps. (e.g. Guan Yu's Escape uses a portion of the Battle of Xu Chang map)

So I downloaded XL CE, and I can only play the tutorial and read the timelines that much. Will it keep downloading the rest if I put the console in sleep mode? There's no progress bar anymore so I can't tell if it's working.

Tabby

Onto Wei. I'm really liking the revamped story mode so far; it gives you a chance to try out characters you never would otherwise.

And I pursued Lu Bu in the first two missions. Good times. Cao Cao's new EX attacks seem custom-built to pursue Lu Bu. At Hulao Gate, fighting Lu Bu with Xiahou Dun was harder, but I was backed up by premiers of the Coalition. Wonder if my successfully taking him out here changes anything?

I've always found fighting Lu Bu on Wei's storyline easy, it's only on Shu that I've had a problem.

Hollycat

DW4 was a mixed bag for me in terms of stage design.

While I can't remember too many instances, there are a couple I recall that fit your description. If you were playing the Wei side on Mt. Jieting and managed to kill the Shu hostage before he escaped back into the enemy camp, I think the entire Shu army went on the offensive, whereas they would just sit back if the exchange was performed without bloodshed. Another, if I recall, is during the Yellow Turban Rebellion, and depending on who you did not kill (Zhang Bao/Liang), they would appear as the boss of the following stage. Heck, Zhang Jiao appears with Zhang Lu in a Wei extra mission mission if he's alive.

On the flipside, I think they HAD to be a bit more creative with the scenarios because all the maps were basically permutations of the same half a dozen or so general maps. (e.g. Guan Yu's Escape uses a portion of the Battle of Xu Chang map)

Additionally it had not only a LuBu story mode, but also a YELLOW TURBANS story mode AND Meng Huo story mode.
It also had a character creator with 2 unique attack types.
I believe it introduced gradual leveling as well which was pretty neat.
On some stages beating officers in a certain order or killing over a thousand grunts will kill the enemies morale, causing all the peons to flee before you.

But yeah, the stage design was a little lacking except the one stage. The pyramid battle was the hardest in the history of the series. Raged max stat lu meng and Cao Ren come for your head.

I haven't played 5, but so far 4 is easily my favorite, and 7 my most hated. (how dare every character not have unique combat, WO2 did and it had over a hundred characters)

Twinduct

So quick question about the PS4 (it's semi on topic as it retains to this game).
With the Amazon PS4 digital store .. is it easier to buy games Digitally for the US PSN outside the US?

Specifically I mean can I create a US PSN account and buy the PSN stuff via Amazon (through Paypal) and once added to my US account, I play the game with my Non US account?

(Game is for some reason not priced in my region)

So quick question about the PS4 (it's semi on topic as it retains to this game).
With the Amazon PS4 digital store .. is it easier to buy games Digitally for the US PSN outside the US?

Specifically I mean can I create a US PSN account and buy the PSN stuff via Amazon (through Paypal) and once added to my US account, I play the game with my Non US account?

(Game is for some reason not priced in my region)

Pretty much, but what you have to do is set up a US shipping address. I used a public library in Denver. After that, you can use your credit card, as the billing address doesn't matter.

Twinduct

Pretty much, but what you have to do is set up a US shipping address. I used a public library in Denver. After that, you can use your credit card, as the billing address doesn't matter.

Ah thanks man. Sadly I jumped before posting. Doesn't seem like DW8 Complete there yet. But yeah for future reference!

Just a little factoid I learned yesterday. When I was playing as Wang Yujani I noticed that if you did her EX move (the triangle, triangle one) if you hold the last triangle attack the game zooms in on her a bit more and you can control the direction of the attack. Usually I'm used to mashing shit so I was shocked you could do it.

Just a little factoid I learned yesterday. When I was playing as Wang Yujani I noticed that if you did her EX move (the triangle, triangle one) if you hold the last triangle attack the game zooms in on her a bit more and you can control the direction of the attack. Usually I'm used to mashing shit so I was shocked you could do it.

She's not the only character that has special properties like that either. Some have moves that let you charge mid combo, or hit triangle multiple times to finish the combo.

Giolon

She's not the only character that has special properties like that either. Some have moves that let you charge mid combo, or hit triangle multiple times to finish the combo.

Yep. On Lu Lingqi, any move that causes her cross-spear to be thrown with Triangle, pressing Square will cause the weapon to return immediately and she'll do a dash attack. I love it.

Yep. On Lu Lingqi, any move that causes her cross-spear to be thrown with Triangle, pressing Square will cause the weapon to return immediately and she'll do a dash attack. I love it.

That's actually part of the weapon being part of the Shadow Dash (or whatever they call it) family like with the Double-Edge Trident or the Javelin.

The Cross-Spear's special ability is that you can semi control it when you use a charge move that tosses it out (C1, C2, C3, C4) with the left analog stick and move it to the side for a bit before returning back to her.

They game does kinda mentions the weapon's special properties when you are going through the weapon list.

does anyone else miss having to hunt down hp bonuses in hidden pots, or having to do comboes on generals to drop higher level loot?

cause i do!

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Holy shit! How do I do that attack thingy at the 3 minute mark?

Need to have the vertical meter filled up then push the L3 + R3 button then circle.

Oh wait you mean the jumping + circle button move when you have a musou gauge filled?

Fun video. Is that Lu's EX move you were doing there at the 3 minute mark? Looks pretty crazy. I've barely scratched the surface of this game.

If you mean the move I did from the air, its just another musou move that you can perform in the air. I think her EX move is a buff for herself and allies around her.

Zafir

Man, does anyone else have the problem where the PS4 fans ramp up on cutscenes sometimes? Was just giving my copy which arrived today a quick go, and the cutscene at the start of the Wei campaign sent them into overdrive. Then after that it was perfectly silent lol.

Edit: Seems like it aint just cutscenes either. Guess some sections really stress the console...

Returners

Anyone got tips for Challenge Mode?

I'm running Lu Bu through them all but can't clear Bridge Melee.

EDIT: More trophy sync info, Money/Leadership trophies unlocked on PS4 after playing a battle on after syncing from Vita.

does anyone else miss having to hunt down hp bonuses in hidden pots, or having to do comboes on generals to drop higher level loot?

Hunting down bonuses in pots, sure.

But comboing for higher bonuses? Wasn't that just in DW7? Regardless, I hated that system, especially since drops were the only way to increase stats in that game prior to XL. REALLY screwed over some movesets, like the club (Xu Zhu).

Which campaign should I do 1st? Or it doesn't matter.

Doesn't really matter. Try Lu Bu if you want to know why he is so feared.

Beware though, he really wants a decent challenge and may grow tired of your presence.

Oh, but you should do the tutorial if you haven't already.

Giolon

Which campaign should I do 1st? Or it doesn't matter.

Pick 1 faction to do a tutorial. Recommended order in DW7 was Wei, Wu, Shu, Jin IIRC. It's not a bad order IMO.

I'd play Lu Bu after playing at least 1 or 2 of the other campaigns.

Really though, you can play them in any order, just know that Jin takes place chronologically last.

Just got the game today (first time player) and tried out Xing Cai and Lu Lingqi and I think I'm in love. Xing Cai's EX attack when she surfs on the shield is so cool xD

Anyways should I play Ambition or Story mode first?

Timu

Doesn't really matter. Try Lu Bu if you want to know why he is so feared.

Beware though, he really wants a decent challenge and may grow tired of your presence.

Oh, but you should do the tutorial if you haven't already.

Pick 1 faction to do a tutorial. Recommended order in DW7 was Wei, Wu, Shu, Jin IIRC. It's not a bad order IMO.

I'd play Lu Bu after playing at least 1 or 2 of the other campaigns.

Really though, you can play them in any order, just know that Jin takes place chronologically last.
Thanks for the suggestions, starting the game now.=O

Iorv3th

So had 2 freezes tonight doing battle of chibi on wu co-op. When you get to the burning ships if you split up it's likely to freeze. We stayed together and no problems.

Be careful if any of you are doing local coop on that mission, make interim saves.

I've always found fighting Lu Bu on Wei's storyline easy, it's only on Shu that I've had a problem.

The Wei folk seem incredibly overpowered. Or maybe it's because I've already finished with Wu (just one run though) and I already have some stronger weapons. I'll see what happens when I play Shu.

New DLC Weapon announced for Japan. I hope the gap to get the Stone Pillar and these aren't too long.
20140410_3.jpg

20140410_4.jpg

There's a problem with the sound? Been perfect for me so far (PS3 version).

Sound on the Vita is pretty off. Nothing like Assassin's Creed: Liberation, but it's still pretty poor quality. Framerate on Vita seems to drop to single digits with enough enemies, a large enough field, and Rage mode.

Can a vanilla PS3 DW8 cross-play with Vita XL CE? I really want to play with a friend, but his buying both DW8 and XL on the PS3 seems egregious.

Ok i know that the combo system meant some characters were screwed because of their weapon .

But what i mean is that i miss the effort and immersion that came from trying your best to get a long combo going while getting attacked to make the enemies drop better stat bonus items or better weapons.

It made things more immersive i guess. The new system is nice. But i feel like things are slightly dumbed down and easier. the crafting system is a nice touch. but the weapon drop system is iffy.

this is specially apparent when i realized i was killing generals and AVOIDING the stuff they drop because all generals drop weapons and theres a limit to how many weapons you can have in the inventory. That ish is cray!

Ok i know that the combo system meant some characters were screwed because of their weapon .

But what i mean is that i miss the effort and immersion that came from trying your best to get a long combo going while getting attacked to make the enemies drop better stat bonus items or better weapons.

It made things more immersive i guess. The new system is nice. But i feel like things are slightly dumbed down and easier. the crafting system is a nice touch. but the weapon drop system is iffy.

this is specially apparent when i realized i was killing generals and AVOIDING the stuff they drop because all generals drop weapons and theres a limit to how many weapons you can have in the inventory. That ish is cray!

How in the hell do you even reach the limit in the first place? Combine/Reforge or sell, why are you keeping that many weapons?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

Agreed do miss that along with all the items and searching the map for stats increasing hidden stuff.

the game now is all about making that one OP weapon with the various skills. So its more collecting skills over weapons then combining them. which is throttled by the items you use as currency for the upgrades.

How in the hell do you even reach the limit in the first place? Combine/Reforge or sell, why are you keeping that many weapons?

ambition mode trying to get horses and level up the facilities. also to combine/reforge you need weapon mats, which don't drop from the ambition stages that require you to get new allies/fame. i used to solve this issue by selling weapons but then i got max money. I circumvented that problem by buying stats.

now that i maxed out most of the buildings i have enough weapon materials to break down stuff, but that thought that i have to go into ambition mode every while is always in the back of my head.

don't get me wrong i love dw8, it has drenched away the bad taste of DW6 (zhou tai with a chinese curved sword !? WTF WERE THEY SMOKING) and returned the series back to its former glory. But some of the design choices are still iffy.

I think they should stop trying to appeal to the fujoshi demographic with so many pretty boys and put some effort into the stage design and gameplay mechanics once again (bring back bodyguards dammit~!)

also PC

Top Bottom