• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 8 + XL (PS3) / CE (PSV/PS4) |OT| Don't Pursue Lu Bu (In Next Gen)

I posted this in the other warriors thread but, am I the only one here who really dislikes the new VO for Zhang Liao?
Yeah doesn't really suit him, but then again we had the same VA for several titles that it makes it plain weird.
wait, they released the vita version w/o the patch? or is it a second patch people are talking about?

Just for info:
v1.02 is released on January 17th
v1.03 is released on February 25th

The v1.03 is supposed to be the latest update of DW8XL CE Vita which eliminates all lags and framerate problem in the game..

I Confirmed it from the feature of the game itself from the JP ver. changelog.

1.02 changelog:
http://translate.googleusercontent....g=ALkJrhjPqShcFfWlZ2ZJwKR77b0FMbGtJA#p9353b85

The NA ver. include all feature from v1.02 (Custom playback and a save feature on the menu screen of the free mode)

1.03 changelog:
http://translate.googleusercontent....er103/&usg=ALkJrhjR2PkDbj_GqfUaHLVpvdk1g4ctmg

There is NO filter feature on the weapon selection screen and weapon store of the NA ver..
on 1.03 jp ver, you can filter the weapon using the L button.. (L1 on PS3).
Just look at the 1.03 changelog above if you want to see the filter feature screenshot.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/728615-dynasty-warriors-8-xtreme-legends-complete-edition/68893322

New DLC Weapon announced for Japan. I hope the gap to get the Stone Pillar and these aren't too long.
20140410_3.jpg

20140410_4.jpg

Lianshi getting a possibly fast/mobile weapon intrigues me.

It's going to be interesting to see where all these DLC (there's already 8 of them now announced) will actually go to.

I posted this in the other warriors thread but, am I the only one here who really dislikes the new VO for Zhang Liao?

It's different and he sounds less threatening now, lol.

I kinda got used to it but still it was hard to get used to.

So does the filter system work like I'm understanding? Players can select 1 (or multiple) weapon element(s) and have it show only weapons with that? If so, it'll make fusion soooooo much faster :D.
Lianshi getting a possibly fast/mobile weapon intrigues me.

It's going to be interesting to see where all these DLC (there's already 8 of them now announced) will actually go

The Flame Blade and Twin Fans going to Quan and Xiao seem almost like a given.
They are better fits and it would remove 2 of the 6 weapons generics use from being EX weapons.
Speaking of which, I sooooo want Ping to get his DW5 Zanbatô back. ;__;

I hope the Pillar goes back to Meng Hou.
The gloves moveset just don't feel right for him. I like the grabs and whatnot, but they'd feel better on a new character. Meng Hou's old gloves moveset fit him much better with the wilder attacks (C1 Animal Run, Crossbody Blocks, Cannonball Splashes, etc...). If the Pillar doesn't go to him, I can easily see them adding a new clan member to put it on.

I could see them giving Suo the Sabatons.
They fit him well since his Ex and Musous are more focused on kicks anyways (unless they changed them / I forgot something).

Lian Shi with the Mandarin Duck Hooks works well considering her relationship with SSX.
However, I could also see them leaving the crossbow on her and putting them on someone new.

Same goes for the Bladed Crossbow and Yueying.
She already has her classic Scythe and it doesn't need to be replaced.

I hope we get brand new characters for the Rotating Crossbow and Eimei Piercers.

Hmmm Ambition mode's framerate is more tolerable for the current version of DW8 on Vita.

Will the DLCs bought from the PS3 version be downloadable via the next patch or waiting for something to be enabled?

The Flame Blade and Twin Fans going to Quan and Xiao seem almost like a given.
They are better fits and it would remove 2 of the 6 weapons generics use from being EX weapons.
Speaking of which, I sooooo want Ping to get his DW5 Zanbatô back. ;__;

I hope the Pillar goes back to Meng Hou.
The gloves moveset just don't feel right for him. I like the grabs and whatnot, but they'd feel better on a new character. Meng Hou's old gloves moveset fit him much better with the wilder attacks (C1 Animal Run, Crossbody Blocks, Cannonball Splashes, etc...). If the Pillar doesn't go to him, I can easily see them adding a new clan member to put it on.

I could see them giving Suo the Sabatons.
They fit him well since his Ex and Musous are more focused on kicks anyways (unless they changed them / I forgot something).

Lian Shi with the Mandarin Duck Hooks works well considering her relationship with SSX.
However, I could also see them leaving the crossbow on her and putting them on someone new.

Same goes for the Bladed Crossbow and Yueying.
She already has her classic Scythe and it doesn't need to be replaced.

I hope we get brand new characters for the Rotating Crossbow and Eimei Piercers.

Yeah, those all make sense. (Too much sense for Koei to probably go with all that). Would be really nice for Sun Quan, Xiaoqiao and Guan Suo to get the new DLC weapons.

I think the Rotating Crossbow will probably go to a new add in Jin. Dunno about the Eimei Piercers.

Wonder if they'll do the whole weapon changing in DW8E or just wait to DW9.

Hmmm Ambition mode's framerate is more tolerable for the current version of DW8 on Vita.

Will the DLCs bought from the PS3 version be downloadable via the next patch or waiting for something to be enabled?

Not patch but supposedly whenever the DLC gets released (again) for the PS4/PSV versions, they should be free for those that already bought them the first time on the PS3 version.

I for some reason expect something to go wrong regarding this though, lol.

Manac0r

I only have access to a Vita, and was looking forward to this. But all the tales of poor FPS are putting me off, is it really that bad? Unplayable or just annoying?

Not patch but supposedly whenever the DLC gets released (again) for the PS4/PSV versions, they should be free for those that already bought them the first time on the PS3 version.

I for some reason expect something to go wrong regarding this though, lol.
>__< I have a similar feeling lol, they had better release all the weapons first.
I only have access to a Vita, and was looking forward to this. But all the tales of poor FPS are putting me off, is it really that bad? Unplayable or just annoying?
It's more annoying, in that sometimes the lag throws of the timing of my button presses so I use the wrong move, it's more a free mode/story mode problem. Not as bad in ambition mode, but hopefully the patch that gets rid of the lag comes out soon. Would like to play the new stories.

Hollycat

I miss the old SunshangXiang and Xiahou Dun hairstyles. :(

Edit: I cannot believe they didn't include the arrow-eye-eat-ambition-scene with Xiahou Dun in DW8.

Out of interest which stages have noticably bad frame rates in story mode on the Vita version? I'm playing the game on the Vita at the moment and haven't encountered any real instances when I'd say the frame rate was bad enough to ruin my enjoyment of the game. Its a pretty fun port so far, being able to take it to work with me to play a mission here and there is cool. Can't wait to get my hands on my import copies of Samurai Warriors 4 and Shin Gundam Musou now...

Out of interest which stages have noticably bad frame rates in story mode on the Vita version? I'm playing the game on the Vita at the moment and haven't encountered any real instances when I'd say the frame rate was bad enough to ruin my enjoyment of the game. Its a pretty fun port so far, being able to take it to work with me to play a mission here and there is cool. Can't wait to get my hands on my import copies of Samurai Warriors 4 and Shin Gundam Musou now...

Battle of Chibi will probably the absolute worst one. And not even when it's on fire.

Hollycat

Any levels with burning buildings will tank your fps. Louyang, the banquet, etc. Chi Bi is pretty bad too. Also anytime Taishi Ci appears on screen during a fire it slows a little. If you have more than 5 significant officers on screen, it tanks. If you have more than 5 significant officers on screen and are in a burning building and there are peons all around you, the game can actually go as low as 3 fps. Not even joking. It's only happened once, but it was absolutely terrible. This was on Chi Bi.

Jin

Vita means life. Vita also hates fire.

Anything with fire drops the FPS down to the 10s.

PS4 has the same problem with fire. Some of them very strange. In Hu Lao Gate if I play Zhang Fei and help the peasants in the burning city the framerate drop to single digits. However if I play someone else, like Xiahou Dun, the framerate doesn't go down that bad. But in general anything with fire shoots the framerate in the foot on the PS4.

Any levels with burning buildings will tank your fps. Louyang, the banquet, etc. Chi Bi is pretty bad too. Also anytime Taishi Ci appears on screen during a fire it slows a little. If you have more than 5 significant officers on screen, it tanks. If you have more than 5 significant officers on screen and are in a burning building and there are peons all around you, the game can actually go as low as 3 fps. Not even joking. It's only happened once, but it was absolutely terrible. This was on Chi Bi.

Cool, thanks. I just did Louyang and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Not great but still playable.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So I asked the local video game place to boot this up so that I could give it a try. Damn, this series got a lot more complicated since I last played it on PS2. Musou moves out the asshole, and "real time...weapon change!" (lol).

So I guess you can't shoot arrows anymore, huh?

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
This game an improvement? Think last one I played was 7, but didn't play it more than a few hours.

Jin

So I asked the local video game place to boot this up so that I could give it a try. Damn, this series got a lot more complicated since I last played it on PS2. Musou moves out the asshole, and "real time...weapon change!" (lol).

So I guess you can't shoot arrows anymore, huh?

Nope! If you're like me then no more sniping Lu Bu then running away rinse and repeat.

Hollycat

It really boils down to TK having no idea how to optimize in HD.
If you'll notice, their graphics have barely improved since the PS2 beyond plants and FOV. Seriously, go look at Sub HD Warriors Orochi 2 on PSP and compare it Dynasty Warriors 8 on PS3. The PS3 one looks a little better.
Another good example is DW 6 PS2 vs PS3. They look the same almost.

This game an improvement? Think last one I played was 7, but didn't play it more than a few hours.

Better than 6 and 7. Not as good as the WO series.

It really boils down to TK having no idea how to optimize in HD.
If you'll notice, their graphics have barely improved since the PS2 beyond plants and FOV. Seriously, go look at Sub HD Warriors Orochi 2 on PSP and compare it Dynasty Warriors 8 on PS3. The PS3 one looks a little better.
Another good example is DW 6 PS2 vs PS3. They look the same almost.

Think it was on only when they started development on vanilla 8 they decided to make an engine that's suited to HD as well =/

Is there no way to contact someone about patch info? I'm pretty confused as to why they even released both versions without the most recent patches and it makes me wonder if we'll even get them.

Also, anyone know if saves are region free? I'm guessing not.

How do you combine weapons for skills? Or should I just sell all my level 1 and 2 weapons

Don't remember the names of them, but there are three options in the blacksmith. (you might need to raise the blacksmith's level in Ambition mode up first)

The first one is useless and no one cares about it.

The second one is like WO3's where you choose one weapon as its base and another to add its skill on it expect what skills get added is random and you can't delete skills off the base. It uses weapon materials.

The third and superior one is the same idea expect you can choose what you add from the second weapon onto its base and it uses the gems you find in free and ambition mode. I don't know if you can delete skills off the base weapon but I imagine you can.

I think just keep whatever level 1 and 2 weapons that have skills you want to keep as fusion fodder.

Don't remember the names of them, but there are three options in the blacksmith. (you might need to raise the blacksmith's level in Ambition mode up first)

The first one is useless and no one cares about it.

The second one is like WO3's where you choose one weapon as its base and another to add its skill on it expect what skills get added is random and you can't delete skills off the base. It uses weapon materials.

The third and superior one is the same idea expect you can choose what you add from the second weapon onto its base and it uses the gems you find in free and ambition mode. I don't know if you can delete skills off the base weapon but I imagine you can.

I think just keep whatever level 1 and 2 weapons that have skills you want to keep as fusion fodder.

you can sell crappy weapons.

then you have reforge by taking 3 weapons of varying skills and levels and get 2 random weapons of varying skills/level.

the more lucrative option is TEMPERING. you have a weapon and you can add a 2nd weapons attritubes to that one.

Not you cant delete unwanted skills. Thats why the hard part of tempering a weapon isnt just finding a weapon with the attributes you want, but without any you do. Some people spend hours refreshing the merchant in story mode trying to find a lvl 3 or 4 weapon with BLANK attributes so they can pick and choose the attributes to put on it.

Now, the 2nd weapon's attributes get added onto the 1st weapons up to a maximun of 6. the 1st weapon does not lose any previous attributes, and the remaining slots are filled with any unique attributes the 2nd weapon has. IF the 2nd weapon has more attributes than the 1st weapon has free slots, then the unique attributes of the 2nd weapon are added onto the 1st randomly.

What are the best attributes?
Well, now that you know how to build your weapon of choice, you might be wondering what attributes you should put on your weapon.

For a Chaos run, I recommend choosing 6 attributes from the following:

Cyclone, Slash, Thunder, Induction, Explosive, Flash, Flurry, Velocity, Thorns, Jubilation

Personally, my default setup is [Cyclone, Slash, Induction, Explosive, Thorns, Jubilation]. However, I may make changes depending on the weapon's moveset. For example, I'll use Velocity on weapons with really slow attacks (Great Sword, Crossbow, Spinner, Club, etc.) and remove Thorns. Velocity is also great for weapons where the best attack comes late (C5 or C6) because it provides quicker access and less chances of interruption. If I'm using a Dive-type weapon, then I can replace Thorns with something else.

At the end of the day, it's up to you to decide what you want. The "right" attributes are usually based on your playstyle, which differs from person to person. For an "optimized" playstyle, the correct set of attributes is dependent on the weapon's moveset. It's always better to get feedback from an entire community when it comes to this topic, so ask away on the forums.

taken from gfaqs

How many levels in the blacksmith do I need for tempering?

30. Dont level up the merchant.

for now, use the merchants ability to turn 1 weapon orbs into 2 facility orbs.

dont waste any on the teahouse yet. sending out soldiers to take over areas is a good idea since they bring back animals/weapon/facility materials. upgrading your farm will also bring in money that you can use to pay for the soldiers.

assign a character to the farm since they give items randomly. the horse stable is also a good one. feed animals vegetables only since its the cheapest. dont max out the merchant!

Had my first crash in story mode... the patch can't come soon enough! Assuming it addresses that of course, but I'll be fine with just the DOF fix.

Obscure, but does anybody in Australia know when the complete edition will be on the PS4 store? I'm ready to get on board but I'm preferring digital so far.

cripterion

It's that bad. I bought the vita version first and I no longer have any desire to play it. Framerate even horrible during cutscenes. And as others said, the sound as problems, I play with my vita linked to a mini Bose system and it's like the while sound for the game is muffled...

Waiting for the jp voice pack to play on ps4.

That doesn't sound like a legit reason with all other PS4 games not having that problem. Is it because this is a port and didn't bother getting permission for the old VA's?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
That doesn't sound like a legit reason with all other PS4 games not having that problem. Is it because this is a port and didn't bother getting permission for the old VA's?

Its not that simple when different companies deal with different VA / agreements etc. Licensing isnt exactly cheap and perhaps it did not fit into the budget to get a deal worked out allowing for such a thing. As stupid as it may sound. But thats just how it is with game development. Some things may not make sense but usually wind up having to do with money issues or legal stuff.

Top Bottom