• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends announced for PS3/PS4/Vita

Yawnier

Banned
People are jumping the gun in this thread. This is the announcement for Japan, where DW8 is PS3 only. Not to say it will be ported, but it's a possibility. They patched the slowdown if I'm not mistaken so they care to some extent.

I would say its more or less because 7: Xtreme Legends and 7: Empires didn't come to the 360 in any territories (even NA and Europe) at all.

It can still very much so be ported to the 360, but man Koei do some weird things as of late.

Peff

I would say its more or less because 7: Xtreme Legends and 7: Empires didn't come to the 360 in any territories (even NA and Europe) at all.

It can still very much so be ported to the 360, but man Koei do some weird things as of late.

Sure, but both of those were really low budget affairs with no dub and IIRC english-only text for Europe. It's hard to say for sure but DW8 seems to have performed better than other entries in the series, so we'll see what they do.

Shengar

The lack of Liao Hua and Sima Fu makes me sad.
Wuth Sima Fu, they could cook up some interesting bickering with his older brother right.

meppi

There's only two certainties in life. One is death and the second is that a new Dynasty game will be announced every 3-4 months tops. ;)

Will buy. DW8 is fantastic.

Shit, this or Warriors Orochi?

A month ago I would have said Orochi because of the amount of content. But, I tried to go back to DW7 the other day, and honestly, the base gameplay (combat) of DW8 just flows a lot better than DW7, which now feels really slow in comparison. (Orochi 3 and DW7 are similar gameplay-wise, that's why I bring it up).

Here's hoping we get a new Orochi based on the DW8 engine.

Who am I kidding, it's Koei. Of course it's coming

Haven't touched DW since DW5/DW5:Empires and Warriors Orochi but why are they stuck in pre HD console era? Just keep the XL/Empire modes in the main title and add more chars as DLC or save them for the next title. I'm wondering how much money they make from all of these releases.

Because Dynasty Warriors is to Asia as yearly Madden roster updates are to America. There are people who will line up to buy it no matter how lazy it gets.

*Probably buying the first Musou game on PS4*

Niahak

Even though I'd prefer Cheng Pu to Zhu Ran, these are both good additions. Chen Gong is a particularly good pick since they can add some cool events with both Cao Cao and Lu Bu.

I'm waiting for a price drop on 8, but I really enjoyed 7. I'm looking forward to hearing more about this one.

Ah, so it's worth keeping the original then?

Generally, the original game would have the whole story mode while XL doesn't. Before it was better to keep both games so you could play with all the content.

What's the difference between dw8 and dw8xl?

XL will add more to the base game, think of it as an expansion pack. More stages, changes to the battle system, etc, etc.

Sure, but both of those were really low budget affairs with no dub and IIRC english-only text for Europe. It's hard to say for sure but DW8 seems to have performed better than other entries in the series, so we'll see what they do.

Only WO3 and DW7E were dub-less. DW7XL had a retail release and a full dub and everything.

There are people who will line up to buy it no matter how lazy it gets.

Just from the initial information, DW8XL looks like it has much more additions than what DW7XL had.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Scans are of course out.

Chen Gong looks just like that concept art pic we had when he won the Famitsu poll down to his B-grade villain mustache.

His weapon sounds pretty cool, as it sounds like he summons troops with his normal attacks and uses them to attack in his charge moves. Unique.

Zhu Ran is quite a pretty boy~

Damn, Koei must be pretty darn pleased with the sales of Toukiden to put Warriors Orochi, Samurai Warriors and Dynasty Warriors (again) on Vita. Hopefully they all look as good as DW Next and Toukiden did.

Yawnier

Banned
Zhu Ran doesn't look that pretty boyish to me, I dunno.....

They nailed Chen Gong's look though, he will fit in just fine with Lu Bu.

Koei warriors have more info, from their forums:
陳宮 (公臺)
Chen Gong (Gongtai)
A Han magistrate who initially helped Cao Cao but eventually left him to become Lu Bu's strategist. When Lu Bu's force was defeated in Xiapi he was captured, and afterwards he asked for himself to be executed.
Weapon: Tactic Scroll
[#1 in Famitsu's DW8 Most Wanted Poll]

朱然 (義封)
Zhu Ran (Yifeng)
Wu general who was study friends with Sun Quan. Was recommended to succeed Lu Meng when the latter was dying. Famous for setting fire on Shu camps in the battle of Yiling.
Weapon: Blaze Bow
[#4 in Famitsu's DW8 Most Wanted Poll]

(Seiyuus [JP VAs] are not yet announced at this point)
At least 2 or more unannounced brand-new characters are to be expected, with a possibly high reference to Famitsu's DW8 Most Wanted Poll

New Gameplay Features

Challenge Mode is returning
The mode will now reward a certain useful item when new records are set
Online Ranking is also returning

Story Mode will have a new playable storyline for Lu Bu's force
The story will much describe most of Lu Bu's lifetime, from serving Ding Yuan, to betraying him and going to Dong Zhuo, then killing the latter and becoming independent
There is also a what-if branch where Lu Bu's force will become dominating
Producer Suzuki said that by giving more focus on Lu Bu, they are going back to the roots of the Xtreme Legends expansions (could be referring to the first XL: DW3XL)

Commander/Ambition Mode will have a new goal in "Unification"
By playing more stages in the mode, there will be a new conquest ratio available which will determine if a region will be conquered

There will be new weapons (maybe referring to 6th weapons)
Characters may be having a 2nd EX attack (75% certainty)

Miscellaneous

DW8XL is claimed to be The Strongest Xtreme Legends
Since a PlayStation Vita version has also been announced, DW8XL will become available in 3 different packages
PS3 DW8XL standalone game (possibly may require Mixjoy/Remix to connect with vanilla DW8)
PS3 DW8-with-XL combined game
PSV DW8-with-XL combined game

All 3 package types will be available in physical disc(PS3)/cartridge(PSV) and digital download
Cross-platform play between PS3 & PSV versions are confirmed
Save data from PS3 vanilla DW8 can be brought over to not only PS3 DW8XL, but also the PSV version. Cross-platform save is also possible
High probability that bought DW8 DLCs might carry over to DW8XL
http://s13.zetaboards.com/koeiwarriors/topic/6986755/1/#post9260171

Hmmmm wonder if Koei will release the Vita version to the west...in all honesty I think a PSN release for that version will be more likely if this comes to the west.
Also Lu Bu what if campaign....at least we have more characters to switch in the story mode XD

Koei warriors have more info, from their forums:

http://s13.zetaboards.com/koeiwarriors/topic/6986755/1/#post9260171

Hmmmm wonder if Koei will release the Vita version to the west...in all honesty I think a PSN release for that version will be more likely if this comes to the west.
Also Lu Bu what if campaign....at least we have more characters to switch in the story mode XD

Super hyped.

It will be absolutely amazing if Koei releases the Vita version in the West since it's basically two games in one. I will buy them both.

Famitsu has their article up and while no new information, we get images!

BSh4fmC.jpg

Wouldn't surprise me if Lu Bu gets the cover for this round.

And Chen Gong again. So his scroll is the fat version, not the flowing one. Still looks pretty cool.

looks like the site is up and we have some audio for the new characters. Sadly i cant read kanji to tell who the Voices are for them. http://www.gamecity.ne.jp/smusou7m/#characters

Wikipedia's already updated with their voice actors lol
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynasty_Warriors_8
For Chen Gong's voice he is Hiromu Miyazaki most prominant role is apparently Anyamaru Tantei Kiruminzuu (TV) as Takao Yamada.

Tetsuya
Kakihara for Zhu Ran, he's done waay more roles then the voice actor above, and he also sounds awesome : "Kakihara is trilingual; fluent in German and Japanese and near-fluent in English."

ZhugeEX

Banned
Holy cow, already? I suppose 8 has been out for a while longer in Japan, but the US just got it last month...

Koei always release their games one after the other.

I mean Dynasty Warriors 9 (Shin Sangoku Musou 8) has already been announced as a PS4 launch title...

2_zpseb413cf4.jpg

:p

Anyway, all jokes aside. I'll be picking this up for Vita as i already have the main game on PS3.

Wikipedia's already updated with their voice actors lol
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynasty_Warriors_8
For Chen Gong's voice he is Hiromu Miyazaki most prominant role is apparently Anyamaru Tantei Kiruminzuu (TV) as Takao Yamada.

Tetsuya
Kakihara for Zhu Ran, he's done waay more roles then the voice actor above, and he also sounds awesome : "Kakihara is trilingual; fluent in German and Japanese and near-fluent in English."

Tetsuya is also a pretty good singer. Can't wait to see his song about setting everything on fire!

Koei always release their games one after the other.

I mean Dynasty Warriors 9 (Shin Sangoku Musou 8) has already been announced as a PS4 launch title...

2_zpseb413cf4.jpg

:p

Anyway, all jokes aside. I'll be picking this up for Vita as i already have the main game on PS3.

You had me fooled there. :p

ZhugeEX

Banned
Well i guess my joke kind of came true in a way haha.

Dynasty Warriors 8 XL is a launch title for PS4!

haha

mao2

Really? Is Dynasty Warriors a PS4 launch title?! Please, please don't do this to me..
Dynasty Warriors 8 with Xtreme Legends (Shin Sangoku Musou 7 with Moushouden) will be a launch title for PS4. It was announced at the SCEJA Press Conference.

Top Bottom