• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends announced for PS3/PS4/Vita

sensui-tomo

Oh, Japan. :c What does this mean for us? Dx

it means that it might look a little nicer(maybe) and be able to hold more peons on screen with less lag, what i'd like it to mean... locked 60 fps but i wont hold my breath till dw9 when they know the ps4 a bit more. oh and it means if we get ps4s that we trade in our ps3 versions of the game to get ps4 versions(not the actual ps3 mind you cause there are still great games on it)

Niwa

it means that it might look a little nicer(maybe) and be able to hold more peons on screen with less lag, what i'd like it to mean... locked 60 fps but i wont hold my breath till dw9 when they know the ps4 a bit more. oh and it means if we get ps4s that we trade in our ps3 versions of the game to get ps4 versions(not the actual ps3 mind you cause there are still great games on it)

Well yeah, cool. But I was like, when will we get this game :cccc Thank you anyways.

Happy about the Vita release. Koei has a problem of trying to change the DW formula when it comes to handhelds, when all I ever really bloody want is a portable proper DW. None of the board game, tiny map, gimmick-laden crap. Just give me more Dynasty Warriors!

Warriors Orochi 2 on PSP was a great move, and I'll be all up in DW8XL Vita.

Hnng!

With all the cross-platform releasing (and cross-buy discount), hope they implement cloud saving or at least some way of transferring(transfarring?) the save data. It just makes sense.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Happy about the Vita release. Koei has a problem of trying to change the DW formula when it comes to handhelds, when all I ever really bloody want is a portable proper DW. None of the board game, tiny map, gimmick-laden crap. Just give me more Dynasty Warriors!

Warriors Orochi 2 on PSP was a great move, and I'll be all up in DW8XL Vita.

Me too :) Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate is coming to PS Vita as well this month in Japan which is great because it's a proper musou game and none of that tiny map gimmicky stuff.

No overseas announcement of WO3 Ultimate or DW8XL just yet :(

But the PS4 announcement of DW8XL means that it's highly likely going to come overseas now :)

Cross save between everything and I'll triple (or quad) dip on them Koei!

I imagine that we'll probably get DW8XL in the west on hopefully all three platforms around the time the PS4 version comes out in Japan. Gives them enough time for localization and to sit on whatever DLC gets released so they can slowly stagger them out as we all complain that we want more DLC.

I am super hype at getting a second EX move for everybody.

adixon

Using just lighting effects for hit effects is interesting, not sure I've seen that before.

This announced for ps4 as well, right? (Thread title is confusing.) I'm trying to see everything that was announced for ps4 and vita last night, and gaf is churning so fast it's hard to find anything.

The thread was created when the game was first announced. Today it was announced as a Japanese PS4 launch (day or window?) title.

dakkumauji, it may be helpful to update the OP with the PS4 info and see if a mod could fix the title.

It says bodyguard general system in the forum link.

So nothing like the old 4 - 8 bodyguards that could be leveled like in the older games.

Am I the only one who missed having bodyguards (max level + bg manual) of doom in 3?

ZhugeEX

Banned
It says bodyguard general system in the forum link.

So nothing like the old 4 - 8 bodyguards that could be leveled like in the older games.

Am I the only one who missed having bodyguards (max level + bg manual) of doom in 3?

no, it means that you can take an Ally (So any playable character) as a bodyguard/ally with you to increase bonds. You could do this in 8's ambition mode. But in XL you can do this in free mode as well.

Also did you guys notice the new horse mechanics in the video. The horse actually looks a bit more realistic now. A bit...

I wonder what will happen with the DLC. I don't think the ps3 dlc will be compatible. So here's to hoping that they do what they did with SSM6+XL's PC release and include the already released dlc on disc.

I want dem weapons, stages, music and outfits mang!

Oh and please have Dual Audio on disc, kthx.

ZhugeEX

Banned
PS4 screenshots-
Bear in mind this is a PS3 game on PS4 with a few tweaks.

55w6.jpg

04yx.jpg

q5tq.jpg

Can view them in 1920x1080 here- http://gematsu.com/gallery/dynasty-warriors-8-xtreme-legends/september-10-2013/
Can we edit the title please!!!!

...I haven't even finished DW8 yet man, if/when this releases in the west then I am conflicted either I get it on PS3 or wait for DW9 to come later whenever I pick up a Playstation 4. LOL the fuck am I saying, me skip a Dynasty Warriors release, that's never going to happen so PS3 it is.

Yawnier

Banned
I agree as well. But that's an official Koei screenshot from Koei themselves.

Game does look better than that. Must just be a bad screenshot.

Here is the PS3 scene in motion- http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=XFKYx3Uizx8#t=939

Wow, even on shitty Youtube 360p it doesn't look nearly as bad as that screenshot there. It must have been compressed about twenty or so times or something. That PS3 screenshot legitimately looks like a later PS2 game, I wish I was joking here.

#teamrigged

ZhugeEX

Banned
Wow, even on shitty Youtube 360p it doesn't look nearly as bad as that screenshot there. It must have been compressed about twenty or so times or something. That PS3 screenshot legitimately looks like a later PS2 game, I wish I was joking here.

#teamrigged

I agree again.

What's very funny is that exact screenshot is the only screenshot that looks worse than all other DW8 official PS3 screenshots. And it's the exact same one used for PS4....

I'm with you #teamrigged.

A little late and probably buried under all this PS4 news, but the popularity poll results are out and shows which three characters will get costumes.

Spoiler Alert: It's not hard to guess who.

1. Zhao Yun
2. Wang Yuanji
3. Xu Shu
4. Guo Jia
5. Diaochan
6. Guan Yinping
7. Lu Xun
8. Sima Yi
9. Xiahou Dun
10. Zhong Hui
11. Ma Dai
12. Cao Pi
13. Wang Yi
14. Xiahou Ba
15. Ling Tong
16. Wen Yang
17. Jia Chong
18. Jiang Wei
19. Zhang Liao
20. Yue Jin
21. Lu Bu
22. Ma Chao
23. Guan Xing
24. Xing Cai
25. Daqiao
26. Cao Cao
27. Jia Xu
28. Sima Zhao
29. Zhang Chunhua
30. Sima Shi
31. Cai Wenji
32. Sun Shangxiang
33. Gan Ning
34. Li Dian
35. Zhenji
36. Lu Su
37. Zhang Bao
38. Xiahou Yuan
39. Zhou Yu
40. Lianshi
41. Bao Sanniang
42. Zhuge Liang
43. Guan Ping
44. Sun Ce
45. Lu Meng
46. Zhou Tai
47. Xiaoqiao
48. Zhuge Dan
49. Zhang He
50. Liu Shan
51. Zhurong
52. Han Dang
53. Deng Ai
54. Yuan Shao
55. Liu Bei
56. Guan Yu
57. Yueying
58. Guo Huai
59. Pang Tong
60. Zuo Ci
61. Wei Yan
62. Pang De
63. Xu Huang
64. Sun Quan
65. Dong Zhuo
66. Sun Jian
67. Guan Suo
68. Dian Wei
69. Zhang Jiao
70. Meng Huo
71. Taishi Ci
72. Cao Ren
73. Huang Zhong
74. Zhang Fei
75. Ding Feng
76. Xu Zhu
77. Huang Gai

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I knew I was wise to hold off on 8! Will definitely pick up the PS4 version when it hits (if it doesn't come to the west I'll cry.) it's 8 combined with Xtreme Legends, right?

Has Koei released any non-burnt footage of the PS4 version? The press conference lighting for that demo was so bad.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
How is Huang Gai less popular than Xu Zhu?

Wait, let me rephrase that: how is anybody less popular than Xu Zhu, but especially Mr. Bombs-and-bludgeons?

Creaking

How is Huang Gai less popular than Xu Zhu?

Wait, let me rephrase that: how is anybody less popular than Xu Zhu, but especially Mr. Bombs-and-bludgeons?

Huang Thighs keeps going on about how he's such a veteran and how old he is. He and Huang Zhong both. It's one thing to be one-note, but when your note is about being old? At least Xu Zhu is dopey.

ixix

Having skipped the last couple of Dynasty Warriors releases I was unaware that they had replaced Huang Gai's bonk-bonk-boom cudgel and cartoon bomb moveset with one in which he hits peeps with a kayak strapped to his arm.

I formally withdraw my disbelief at the popularity poll. He deserves last place. New Huang Gai sucks.

That kayak is awesome dammit.

It's basically a surfboard that causes huge waves and stuff.

Huang Gai sucks though.

Those poll results are pretty interesting. They really show how much the pretty boys dominate DW.

ixix

That kayak is awesome dammit.

It's basically a surfboard that causes huge waves and stuff.

Huang Gai sucks though.

Old Moveset:
Could use bombs to forcibly dismount allied generals, allowing Huang Gai to steal their horse and/or elephant.

New Moveset:
Makes Huang Gai look like he is suffering from a late-onset mid-life crisis and is desperately trying to look cool by engaging in Xtreme sports to which he is completely ill-suited. All he is missing for maximum pathetic-ness is a ponytail and a red Corvette with a "HUNG GAI" vanity plate.

Don't defend the kayak. You are enabling the self-destructive behavior of a man who desperately needs an intervention. We can but hope that this latest poll serves as a wake-up call.

I think that's awesome XL will be on PS4. Makes me all the more sad Samurai Warriors 4 is only PS3/Current Gen.

Stinks, because the DW games come out far more frequently, which means it'll be a long damn while before we see SW on PS4/XB1

I'm guessing we'll see the SW characters in a Warriors Orochi first for PS4.

Creaking

Having skipped the last couple of Dynasty Warriors releases I was unaware that they had replaced Huang Gai's bonk-bonk-boom cudgel and cartoon bomb moveset with one in which he hits peeps with a kayak strapped to his arm.

I formally withdraw my disbelief at the popularity poll. He deserves last place. New Huang Gai sucks.

The Kayak is better than what he had in 6 and 7. Bland cloned movesets based on Xu Zhu's giant club, which looks ridiculous on anyone else, Huang Gai included.

But yes, I miss his old cudgel, shield, and bombs.

ixix

The Kayak is better than what he had in 6 and 7. Which is to say bland cloned movesets based on Xu Zhu's giant club, which looks ridiculous on anyone else.

His cloned moveset wasn't indicative of him being caught in a self-flagellating shame spiral though.

It wasn't great, but it didn't break my heart into a million little pieces to see him that way.

The people who like you for your ill-advised aquatic adventures aren't really your friends, Huang Gai. There are still people who love you. Come back to us.

ixix

We're kind of dancing around the Nanman war elephant in the room here: Three Kingdoms-era China has no social support structure in place for aging generals to speak of, and feelings of profound social isolation amongst that demographic are at epidemic levels.

It's society's fault that Huang Gai turned out this way. We may as well just admit it.

Hate all you want on the Arm Blade, I'm still going to surf around Ancient China on it.

----------------------------------------------------------

More importantly, primarily reports from KoeiWarriors state that Yu Jin is getting added.

Top Bottom