• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA up for Worst Company in America for 2nd year in a row

ubercheez

The poll speaks for itself, stop trying to justify it.

If you think that BoA is worse than EA, then vote on it. Not amount of logic is going to change that fact.

Yeah, I love the contradictory logic people are using to avoid admitting that they really don't give a shit about social issues compared to video games.

JABEE

The poll speaks for itself, stop trying to justify it.

If you think that BoA is worse than EA, then vote on it. Not amount of logic is going to change that fact.

Nope.

I don't think EA is worse than BoA, but EA deserves this award. All the time people avoid voting for independent candidates because they don't believe that there vote would matter.

I'm okay with people voting in with a different criterion on a poll silly enough to award a steaming pile of shit to the losing company. EA deserves to be mocked. BoA executives deserve to be in prison.

Gatombre

Neo Member
I'm okay with people voting in with a different criterion on a poll silly enough to award a steaming pile of shit to the losing company. EA deserves to be mocked. BoA executives deserve to be in prison.

This sums it up right here. Nobody but gamers cares about video games and in all honesty they don't matter in the slightest. BoA has done a lot more to actually hurt people. They deserve something a little more serious than a "Golden Poo Award," so who cares if EA gets that particular honor?

I'm still a little surprised, though, since last year's "win" was very clearly based on gamers being upset about Mass Effect 3's ending.

McNum

This sums it up right here. Nobody but gamers cares about video games and in all honesty they don't matter in the slightest. BoA has done a lot more to actually hurt people. They deserve something a little more serious than a "Golden Poo Award," so who cares if EA gets that particular honor?

I'm still a little surprised, though, since last year's "win" was very clearly based on gamers being upset about Mass Effect 3's ending.
Simcity, probably.

I EA wants to stop "winning" this, they'll have to stop releasing products that players, especially those that like single player games, will object to just before the poll.

Mindlog

Simcity, probably.

I EA wants to stop "winning" this, they'll have to stop releasing products that players, especially those that like single player games, will object to just before the poll.
Object? Didn't they buy it in record numbers?
If only we had banded together... we could have solved the financial crisis with our votes...
We're going to fix EA now though. That's why I voted for them.
Did you see the letter!

wildfire

Banned
Ok seriously if we are talking about who is truly the worst, Goldman Sachs wins by a large margin. I couldn't even begin to list the criminality of that company. Goldman Sachs is literally a full fledged criminal enterprise. The fact that they weren't even on the list shows how above it all that company is.

Goldman Sachs? That's not what the anagram HSBC stands for.

daycru

Indeed. People losing homes and more or less lives but lets all cry and complain because we didn't like the ending to what more or less comes down to a toy. I weep for the future of this country/world.
Opposed to crying about a web poll that means nothing? I weep for the future of this country/world?

Indeed. People losing homes and more or less lives but lets all cry and complain because we didn't like the ending to what more or less comes down to a toy. I weep for the future of this country/world.

yeah, if bank of america got a fake poop from the internet they'd really stop and rethink their inhuman policies

If only we all had voted for BoA we could have gotten those people back into their homes.

McNum

Object? Didn't they buy it in record numbers?
Yes, and then found out that what they bought and what they expected it to be did not line up. To have a big outrage you need a lot of people actually playing the game, too. Just like Mass Effect 3 sold well and then was complained about due to that ending, so was Simcity bought by many who then couldn't play due to the online DRM and saw features disappear as well as the simulation break down in critical areas, notably traffic.

ElfArmy177

Bunch of children... Its really pathetic how most people don't even know why they voted EA. Your ending wasn't what you wanted, yet the rest of the game that cost millions to make was intact. SimCity was broken for a little while, yet you got a free game and its fully functional now.

EA may be the most well known in the gaming community, and also the most talked about.. But the most evil? Really? Seeing as most gamers are under the age of 25 though it doesn't surprise me.

I'm sure it means nothing, but when they get mocked for it and change their strategy, you really think no one is gonna get laid off to "improve their image" to a bunch of kids that really don't care that much?

Kusagari

If I had voted in this stupid thing, I would have voted for EA just because they actually care enough to issue a response. Reading Peter Moore try to defend EA's shit policies is funnier than giving companies ruining peoples lives a fake poop trophy.

Wynnebeck

Banned
What is there to learn from a mockery of an internet poll? They shouldn't even bother to dignify this with a response.

Internet poll it may be, to be deemed the worst company in America by votes of consumers online for the 2nd year in a row looks bad to any company, especially when you are competing with other major companies in the US. I wouldn't be surprised if Bloomberg and the rest picked up the news and let people know.

The Sim City moderators seem to be in full force after EA's prestigious win. Ironically they are allowing personal attacks on Moore and Bradshaw, but locking any thread that attacks EA.

Here are a couple of fun comments from a mod:

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9431335.page
Ethice
And I'm still gonna lock it. When you attack Lucy Bradshaw or Peter Moore, we leave it to our PR division, but when it's about EA, it's off-topic and my business

There is a difference between personal attacks and attacking a big company.

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9431366.page
Ethice:
Do you people have nothings else to than waiting for the game you hate?

The game is still broken, btw.

If I had voted in this stupid thing, I would have voted for EA just because they actually care enough to issue a response. Reading Peter Moore try to defend EA's shit policies is funnier than giving companies ruining peoples lives a fake poop trophy.

Yep. I remember someone in this thread saying EA wouldn't respond to them winning this time. Welp, he was wrong.

Bunch of children... Its really pathetic how most people don't even know why they voted EA. Your ending wasn't what you wanted, yet the rest of the game that cost millions to make was intact. SimCity was broken for a little while, yet you got a free game and its fully functional now.

EA may be the most well known in the gaming community, and also the most talked about.. But the most evil? Really? Seeing as most gamers are under the age of 25 though it doesn't surprise me.

I'm sure it means nothing, but when they get mocked for it and change their strategy, you really think no one is gonna get laid off to "improve their image" to a bunch of kids that really don't care that much?

You have literally no idea what you're talking about in any way.

RetroStu

Banned

Actually the average age for a gamer today in 2013 is 35 according to research, gaming is much more of an adult industry today than it used to be, probably because of the sums of money involved.

As for EA, they have the worst practices in the industry imo BUT....they do make good games imo.

is this serious? This company has given us: Dead Space, Mirror's Edge, Bad Company, Battlefield 3, Crysis, Need For Speed and an endless amount of good sports games....worst company in America? What a joke!

vireland

Wait, so the sims are actually sims in Simcity? Because at launch, despite what EA advertised, the people in the game were just pathfinding. They leave one house go to a job, and return to a DIFFERENT house with a different family and no one seems upset about that in-game. It's a problem. There are all sorts of other very problematic artifacts caused by the pathfinding instead of a real simulation in this game.

So that's fixed? If so, bravo. But, I'm very skeptical it has been fixed since it's at the core of the game design (which EA must have known and still advertised the game as one where you could zoom in to a single sim and watch their lives when they HAVE no "life" because they just wander from place to place at different times).

Sim City was broken for a LITTLE WHILE? Yea, ok. Check out the OT and tell me that. And how nice that EA offered a free game but refused to grant refunds. And who is worse in gaming for consumers than EA? Not even Activision can touch EA.

And change their strategy being a negative? Yes, because their current strategy was paying off so well that they closed studios, requested their CEO to resign, and are nickling amd diming everyone. Yea, good show.

ElfArmy177

You have literally no idea what you're talking about in any way.

you really don't think ea is gonna do something to improve its image that may relate to people losing their jobs? Since people say they are the "most evil company in America" even more so than banks or comcast, you really think it wont be reported on at all?

ElfArmy177

Actually the average age for a gamer today in 2013 is 35 according to research, gaming is much more of an adult industry today than it used to be, probably because of the sums of money involved.

As for EA, they have the worst practices in the industry imo BUT....they do make good games imo.

age wise, I stand corrected. Just looked it up.

you really don't think ea is gonna do something to improve its image that may relate to people losing their jobs? Since people say they are the "most evil company in America" even more so than banks or comcast, you really think it wont be reported on at all?

EA already responded with Peter Moore and it was a 'ead we're not gonna change shit'. And what would EA do in response to this that would cost jobs? Please do tell.

McNum

Should probably note that the vote isn't for "Most Evil", but for "Worst". I mean EA wouldn't stand a chance in Most Evil, I'd imagine, there are much better candidates for that.

But "Worst" as in "Does not deliver the goods or services in a quality matching the expectations of the consumers"? Yeah, about that... I can see EA being nominated on that category. I mean a bank being scummy is sort of within expectations for banks, as sad as that may sound, and some bullshit is definitely expected when dealing with them.

When it comes to entertainment, people don't want bullshit. They want entertainment, they want stuff that just works and can amuse them somehow. They don't want to buy a product that tells them that for some reason they can't use it until <parameter:string> time has elapsed. They want to use it now, and if they can't the product is clearly defective. You don't have nearly as much leeway when it comes to people's leisure time.

So, EA is the "worst" because they bring bullshit into what should be the bullshit free zone. At least that's how I'd imagine it has gone. Could be wrong, but it seems likely.

ZeroGravity

Any decent business in this position would look at the results, see that people continue to vote them worse than companies who do far more harmful damage in the world, and understand that there's probably a legitimate reason for that and see it as a chance to change for the better.

EA won't do that, of course.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Seriously? What, just because they won on the next page, everyone can no longer read? Let me say it again for you guys.

Guys, here's the thing. This internet poll is for consumer outcry. I don't bank with BoA, and I never will, and there are plenty with me. As a consumer, BoA is not an issue to me specifically. In the bigger picture, I don't even have to worry about calling BoA a bad bank because they have the Federal Government of the United States doing that for me already. If they keep being shitty even with The Man on their case, there's jack shit this poll can do. I doubt anyone who matters at Bank of America even knows this poll exists.

Now on the other hand, EA is salvageable and what's more, this poll is visible to their executives who have to deal with shareholders who are investing in a company that thrives on consumer happiness (i.e., entertainment). I voted for EA for one reason: they can be told. I don't buy the games they have ruined (except for Medal of Honor, but that's more because the chaps at Danger Close are cool dudes), and I do want them to wake up and smell the entertainment roses, as do most consumers who have had to deal with their dreadful ideas which hinder enjoyment of the few free hours people have each day. EA is not the most evil corporation in the US, not by a longshot, but most of those companies are beyond our reach and far beyond this tongue-in-cheek internet poll. EA at least reacts (hilariously, I might add), and there's the chance that they might take the criticism to heart and see the game biz as a business of making people happy rather than a business of just making money.

That's what this poll is about, not some sort of terrible FINAL JUDGEMENT where we all turn our noses and hate on the winner and wish them a plague upon their household, but rather point out the company that's making our day-to-day lives a bit shittier because of their inane anti-consumer practices and ask them to step up, senpai. It's something that can be reconciled, not like Bank of America's track record. That shit is in a whole different league!

So chill out bros, this isn't a morality poll, this is a consumer satisfaction poll, and guess what, I consume EA's products, not BoA's. Same with the most of the rest of you.

Dr. Ecco

Neo Member
Most of you oh so offended over EA winning a shitty internet poll will probably go back home today to play videogames instead of going to the streets to claim social justice, you are just a bunch of hypocrites.

antitrop

Most of you oh so offended over EA winning a shitty internet poll will probably go back home today to play videogames instead of going to the streets to claim social justice, you are just a bunch of hypocrites.

That's not really what a hypocrite is, though.

RetroStu

Banned

Do you want people protesting in the streets over this or something?

But voting for BoA on an internet poll surely shows they're the fighters for freedom, social justice and equality.

Tain

hey am I forgetting anything or is the EA stuff mostly about Mass Effect 3's DLC, ending, and the Sim City situation? do they do shitty things to their employees or is it just laughable game release stuff?

i don't see much reason to care about this poll but EA winning sure does make it and consumerist's readers look like a joke

ElfArmy177

EA already responded with Peter Moore and it was a 'ead we're not gonna change shit'. And what would EA do in response to this that would cost jobs? Please do tell.

Man I don't know, I just really love gaming and all this negativity that spews from the gaming community about their own hobby is terrible. EA makes some great games and sure they don't always work as expected, but they fix it. Just like they fixed the mass effect ending for people or gave out a free game for sim city.

All people do is complain about gaming now, its very rarely positive comments or news. I'd like to protect my hobby not announce how evil and horrible it is to the world.

I'm sure negative press will lose some sales for ea, just like negative press lost sales on SimCity. Granted sim sim city deserved that at first. Negative press or lost sales are never good for developers.

hey am I forgetting anything or is the EA stuff mostly about Mass Effect 3's DLC, ending, and the Sim City stuff?

i don't see much reason to care about this poll but EA winning sure does make it and consumerist's readers look like a joke
the free to play garbage in Dead Space 3 is pretty bad.

also there's the thing where Peter Moore said people voting for EA are homophobes. which certainly didn't help their case.

hey am I forgetting anything or is the EA stuff mostly about Mass Effect 3's DLC, ending, and the Sim City situation? do they do shitty things to their employees or is it just laughable game release stuff?

According to the Consumerist, nearly all of the stuff they got in favor of EA was about their practices of buying out and destroying smaller companies, the SimCity fiasco, and microtransactions. Absolutely none of it was (like EA wants to pretend) about Mass Effect 3's ending or LGBT characters.

Gatombre

Neo Member
If I ran EA, the lesson I would take away from this - once I was done laughing at it - was to keep in mind when the voting would happen. I would then do anything that might upset gamers a week in advance of the voting.

This would ensure that they'd all forget about it completely by the time the poll opened.

Top Bottom