• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earth Defense Force 4.1 |OT| In a not-too-distant future, 2025 A.D.

Risette

A Good Citizen
btw, for those who don't know, mission 15 is best for farming (at least on early levels)

kill the AI soldiers at the start (feels bad killing them but they will fire on the ant piles and mess stuff up!) and just keep firing on the ant piles. you can afk this if you tape down your fire button.

https://youtu.be/aS7gbQIPdH8 made a short vid of it (JP ver, haven't got eng ver yet)

btw, for those who don't know, mission 15 is best for farming (at least on early levels)

kill the AI soldiers at the start (feels bad killing them but they will fire on the ant piles and mess stuff up!) and just keep firing on the ant piles. you can afk this if you tape down your fire button.

https://youtu.be/aS7gbQIPdH8 made a short vid of it (JP ver, haven't got eng ver yet)
Thanks for that. I was looking for a good level to farm. I'm struggling a lot with my Ranger on Hard in the late 20s now and my Wing Diver needs some help too

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Doable on harder levels with a weak character? I've got lv 35-ish weapons from farming level 2 on inferno, but I only have about 599 health so acid ants can one-shot me.

Edit: nope, getting my ass handed to me on inferno even with level 46 weapons. I'm just too weak

Game is great I don't understand why it doesn't have drop in and out multiplayer. Waiting in a lobby suck sometimes. I wish my Japanese game save would have transfered over to the English version but oh well.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Just found out you can use the touchpad to say various phrases

So now I run around shouting EDF constantly
is there an option to turn this off in the US ver? I assume not since it wasn't in JP ver, but you never know.

I pulled out the touchpad ribbon on my DS4 because the way I hold my controller (I play one-handed) made it so my screen was constantly blocked by message prompts x_x

is there an option to turn this off in the US ver? I assume not since it wasn't in JP ver, but you never know.

I pulled out the touchpad ribbon on my DS4 because the way I hold my controller (I play one-handed) made it so my screen was constantly blocked by message prompts x_x
That's hardcore.

antitrop

Is there any efficient way to move faster than normal walking speed?

I've been tilting the camera to the side and rolling like an idiot because it clearly makes you go much faster, but it's ridiculous.

Rymuth

play wing diver!
"When the wing divers get here, the bugs don't stand a chance because the bugs don't have the ability to fly."
"Wing Divers are here, the bugs are finished! Because they can't fly!"
"Wing Divers fly, they're the bugs natural enemy because they can fly."

Delivered with SO much earnestness that I can't help but love it! Embrace dat cheese, EDF!

dkoy

I think we should start a support group.

If you do I don't need it any more. I bit the bullet and bought it and no regrets so far 10 missions in.

Personal class rankings: Wing Diver = Air Raider > Ranger > Fencer.

Fencer is faaar too difficult for me to use. Dash cancelling is fast but hard to control and the weaponry suffers from the same problem. That being said it does seem like the class with the highest skill ceiling.

mcz117chief

If you do I don't need it any more. I bit the bullet and bought it and no regrets so far 10 missions in.

Personal class rankings: Wing Diver = Air Raider > Ranger > Fencer.

Fencer is faaar too difficult for me to use. Dash cancelling is fast but hard to control and the weaponry suffers from the same problem. That being said it does seem like the class with the highest skill ceiling.

I take it you bought the digital version? I am a sucker for physical so I will have to wait for pay pretty crazy prices for importing from Americas.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So if you play splitscreen local coop, it does seem like both players share the weapons pickups - or is it just that any weapons go to player 1's profile, no matter who picks them up? I can live with that.

Tried out wing diver in coop today and starting to like it. Swooping over ants and kicking their asses with the rapier is a lot of fun, and simoly moving around the mao more quickly than the ranger is a breath of fresh air. But I haven't found any weapons I like as much as a nice AF20 or a hi level grenade launcher or rocket launcher.

bede-x

So if you play splitscreen local coop, it does seem like both players share the weapons pickups - or is it just that any weapons go to player 1's profile, no matter who picks them up? I can live with that.

The weapon goes to the class that picked it up, but it's all saved to the same profile. So if there's two of you, let's say a Ranger and a Fencer and you each pick up a weapon, both classes will get one weapon. If you were doing the same in split screen online on the 360 version, both classes would get two weapons.

Thewonandonly

Quick question do you guys know if I earn medals for playing online. I played some matches as a wind diver and checked my medal count and it didn't show any new ones only the ones from solo. Do I have to create a lobby to earn the medals or something.

JPS Kai

I tried Wing Diver but the aiming seemed off. When I'm flying up or down, my shots seem to go off screen up/down too. Is that just a 'quirk' of the class?

Wish there was a sprint button on the ranger.

Your sprint button is rolling sideways.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Is it possible to edit the selection of prefab messages in the radial menu? My favorite ones I have to navigate 3-4 menus in the heat of it, kind of a pain.

antitrop

"When the wing divers get here, the bugs don't stand a chance because the bugs don't have the ability to fly."
"Wing Divers are here, the bugs are finished! Because they can't fly!"
"Wing Divers fly, they're the bugs natural enemy because they can fly."

Delivered with SO much earnestness that I can't help but love it! Embrace dat cheese, EDF!
I love every line of dialogue in this game.

Flunkie

Banned
Is there any efficient way to move faster than normal walking speed?

I've been tilting the camera to the side and rolling like an idiot because it clearly makes you go much faster, but it's ridiculous.
This is an unavoidable casualty of the controls. I would have hoped they'd make jump and dodge separate on PS4.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This is an unavoidable casualty of the controls. I would have hoped they'd make jump and dodge separate on PS4.

I just wish they'd add a sprint button. Maybe temper it by adding an energy bar like the wing diver that depletes as you run. Or don't let you fire when sprinting. Or pause any reloads while sprinting. But without it, it gets frustrating to mop up weapon drops and especially annoying if you accidentally left an enemy the other side of the map and have to walk all the way back. I don't mind him being slow while fighting, just the between parts.

Wing diver is great fun to swoop about but I'm not a big fan of her weapons so far.

Mupod

I just wish they'd add a sprint button. Maybe temper it by adding an energy bar like the wing diver that depletes as you run. Or don't let you fire when sprinting. Or pause any reloads while sprinting. But without it, it gets frustrating to mop up weapon drops and especially annoying if you accidentally left an enemy the other side of the map and have to walk all the way back. I don't mind him being slow while fighting, just the between parts.

Wing diver is great fun to swoop about but I'm not a big fan of her weapons so far.

I prefer the playstyle of Ranger and I get why you can't really run faster, it would break the balance horribly. But it makes traversing these huge maps tedious.

Wing Diver solves that problem but yeah the overheat system is kind of annoying. I found this massively damaging short range (about 90m) burst laser that I really like using though. Two-shots flying saucers on hard, 3 shots to kill a nest, 20 ammo before having to reload. I basically swap between Wing Diver and Ranger depending on the mission.

Haven't touched the vehicle guy and Fencer seems completely crap. I got some decent Fencer gear out of mission 2 on Hardest and still can't really see the point of the class.

blahness

Apparently online is already dead in 2 so I wonder how healthy the online portion is in 4.

Online is not exactly dead in 2. Almost every time i check, I see several rooms that are full or open and waiting. I would not expect a lot of people picked up either game TBH.

I prefer the playstyle of Ranger and I get why you can't really run faster, it would break the balance horribly. But it makes traversing these huge maps tedious.

Wing Diver solves that problem but yeah the overheat system is kind of annoying. I found this massively damaging short range (about 90m) burst laser that I really like using though. Two-shots flying saucers on hard, 3 shots to kill a nest, 20 ammo before having to reload. I basically swap between Wing Diver and Ranger depending on the mission.

Haven't touched the vehicle guy and Fencer seems completely crap. I got some decent Fencer gear out of mission 2 on Hardest and still can't really see the point of the class.
I'm not a veteran or anything, but the Fencer might be the secret best class. Dash canceling makes him almost as fast as the Wing Diver. The added armor almost makes him OP. Dash cancel and pretend you're playing Virtual On. Profit.

Evolved1

I'm not a veteran or anything, but the Fencer might be the secret best class. Dash canceling makes him almost as fast as the Wing Diver. The added armor almost makes him OP. Dash cancel and pretend you're playing Virtual On. Profit.

How do you do that. I only tried the fencer the one time and he was just too slow. Grabbing drops was the worst part. Don't mind being slow in combat, but grabbing drops is just raaarwr.

Vashzaron

How do you do that. I only tried the fencer the one time and he was just too slow. Grabbing drops was the worst part. Don't mind being slow in combat, but grabbing drops is just raaarwr.

Easiest to do it with is equip a Melee weapon and a Javelin catapult.
What you do is Dash > Use Javelins (or other compatible weapon) > Repeat.

A ton of different weapons that allow you to do this though at varying speeds. Personal favorites is dash canceling by attacking with those giant handcanons or regular blast spears (piercing weaponry is very nice.)
Not as fast as Javelins but once you know how to control that recoil in addition of constantly dashing everywhere into optimal piercing spots the damage output plus the speed you move around at is awesome. It just makes me want to never play Ranger again.

Evolved1

Easiest to do it with is equip a Melee weapon and a Javelin catapult.
What you do is Dash > Use Javelins (or other compatible weapon) > Repeat.

A ton of different weapons that allow you to do this though at varying speeds. Personal favorites is dash canceling by attacking with those giant handcanons or regular blast spears (piercing weaponry is very nice.)
Not as fast as Javelins but once you know how to control that recoil in addition of constantly dashing everywhere into optimal piercing spots the damage output plus the speed you move around at is awesome. It just makes me want to never play Ranger again.

Thank you... I'll try this.

Mupod

dash cancelling is the only way I was even able to stand moving around on the class but it's certainly not fast. I roll around like Sanic on Ranger too and I'm certainly not slower than a fencer. Maybe I'm doing it wrong? Will give it another shot later, a video might help.

To be clear I play a lot of mech games and I loved the idea of the fencer class. But so far the weapons just fundamentally aren't working out for me. You need a melee weapon equipped to dash, ok, but it takes too much effort to safely land a hit with one without dying yourself. I do like the idea of having two weapon sets as you can adapt to close or long range fighting. For example I ran around with:

Javelin/Hand Cannon
Lock-on missile/Big-ass mortar

And I would swap based on range. I only used the hand cannon up close because it was just better than the javelin in every way except raw damage. It worked well on mission 2 but the entire purpose of me building up Fencer was to use it on that underground ambush level where I just got DESTROYED - so much for being the close combat class. Worked poorly on Hectors too, handcannon DPS was too low and I'd get murdered up close. For clarification I always play on Hard, and if I can't beat the level I go back and farm an earlier stage on hardest/inferno.

I just really need the mobility of ranger/wing diver, in particular moving while shooting. Also Ranger in particular gets access to some completely batshit guns like the x20 grenade launcher, and you can just go into any level with the right tool. I feel boring just playing the 'EDF guy' but silly weapons are a big part of what I love about this game.

Vashzaron

I just really need the mobility of ranger/wing diver, in particular moving while shooting.

Ya need to learn how to Dash Cancel while at the same time attacking enemies. You can be attacking and dodging enemies constantly and indefinitely (depending on weapon loadout) with good awareness and knowledge of the map "layout."

Pretty much Fencer is probably the hardest class to play and takes the most effort but if you know how to play him it's probably the best in most situations.

I don't also wanna be that guy but there is some disparity between weapon types usefulness that becomes much more apparent the more down the difficulties you go.
Things like Fencer's automatic weapons. Designed to be used near/mid range but forces you to be moving at a snails pace.
Without a good shield (and even then doesn't work if you allow yourself to be swarmed) moving slow / standing still is the secret phrase for kill me in higher difficulties.

Top Bottom