• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earth Defense Force 4.1 |OT| In a not-too-distant future, 2025 A.D.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ranger can stll easily get totally swamped if the insects suddenly decide to charge you (trying to farm level 2 on inferno is still tricky with lv 47 weapons)

D43M0N

Neo Member
I also just want to say bravo to whoever did the netcode for this game - I'll get laggy matches locally in Battlefront, but importing this to Australia from the US and presumably playing with a bunch of US based players has resulted in little to no lag at all.

antitrop

♪♪ To save our Mother Earth from any alien attack
From vicious giant insects who have once again come back
We'll unleash all our forces, we won't cut them any slack
The EDF deploys! ♪♪

BBboy20

The EDF deploys! ♪♪
Able to do beck and call with your AI teammates is genius.

Rymuth

The EDF deploys! ♪♪
♪♪ We are prepared for any alien threat
The Navy launches ships, the Air Force sends in jets
And nothing can withstand our fixed bayonets
The EDF deploys! ♪♪

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Getting some annoying AI behaviour - the usual one where a flying enemy just gets trapped on the opposite side of the map and you have to coax it out to kill it. Also the huge tripods just seem really difficult to kill if you don't have rockets - even my AF20 didn't seem to reach when they were standing tall.

The level where you have about ten
mechs and a ton of godzillas
was quite frustrating too - the framerate was just hideous for most of the level.

eastx

Just got a PS4 so I can play this at last! I also play EDF2 on Vita, but I'm more excited for 4.1.

Also the huge tripods just seem really difficult to kill if you don't have rockets - even my AF20 didn't seem to reach when they were standing tall.

Those are Deroys. I haven't fought the EDF4 versions in a while, but I seem to remember that their feet are vulnerable, aren't they?

Rymuth

Just finished Mission 30 - goodness me, that was genuinely intense. Not since Bloodborne did I feel this unnerved. I love how gargantuan and pitch black hese caverns are.

Tizoc

I've been on media blackout for this game but holy crap
IT HAS A MANUAL
AN ACTUAL HONEST TO GOD MANUAL

Mupod

ok I was definitely wrong about Fencer. I was just dash cancelling with the wrong weapons.

I haven't played much lately due to Xenoblade, SF5, and work. I jumped back in last night for a bit of bug shooting but I was having tons of trouble with mission 29 (hard). I tried Ranger and couldn't deal with the hordes of bugs and ships at the end, Wing Diver couldn't even get close to the columns of Hectors. But the Fencer's mortar combined with dash cancelling using a spear/hand cannon was more than enough.

The hand cannon dash movement is ridiculously fast and feels great. The hordes of bugs just could not even catch me and I'd pop one every time I dashed. The cannon is a little tough to hit with at range but satisfying when it lands, and it's 600 damage. After clearing 29 I was then able to go back and farm Inferno mission 2 with Fencer easier than I have with any other character so far.

Just need to find myself a bigger hand cannon - I have a 2000 damage one but its recoil is too much to facilitate 'skating'. Curious if there's an even better gun to dash cancel with.

I think I will still have an issue with fencer in 'cave' levels, I had issues with swarming last time and those hammers simply weren't doing the job. There's one coming up and I found some weird backwards-hitting hammers so we'll see.

eastx

Would you guys recommend grabbing EDF2 on Vita or this one?

They both deserve your love, but EDF 4.1 is way better in most respects. Graphics of course, loading times, cinematics can be turned off, split-screen, and most importantly, people can join in-progress multiplayer lobbies.

The Vita games don't let people join lobbies of in-progress games, so you can never get into a game unless the host sits around waiting for other players. It's a ghost town, sadly.

Has anyone bought any of the DLC? I was wondering what the weapons/vehicles looked like.

I bought the decoys and two of the tanks, but I haven't used the tanks yet. Everyone says the decoys are pretty useful, and two classes get to use them.

eastx

Is there splitscreen play? Will buy asap if so.

Pfft, can't read the two most recent posts before commenting... :p

Shame the EDF games never allow the second split-screen player to use his or her own profile and earn Achievements/Trophies. Sandlot is so behind the times in many ways.

Kumquat

Mission 77, the one with the brain over the giant canyon is the best farming level I have found. Pretty easy to do on inferno, especially if you have an Air Raider with the Railgun or a Fencer Air raider combo with his awesome missile launchers. Mostly big enemies and a bit of air. Easy to do on inferno and farm and since the mission won't end until you shoot up the brain you can collect all guns dropped easily.

.hacked

This is my 1st EDF game and I am loving it. Got 2 copies and been playing the online coop with my bro and we are having a blast. I have been playing the Wing Diver while my brother has been playing the Ranger.

o3JCgc4.jpg

So much fun!

eastx

This is my 1st EDF game and I am loving it. Got 2 copies and been playing the online coop with my bro and we are having a blast. I have been playing the Wing Diver while my brother has been playing the Ranger.

That's a great setup. You should dual-monitor Dariusburst on PC too!

bobawesome

Everything about this game looks amazing. I wish I could convince my brother to pick up a copy so we could play together.

Bless you Sandlot and XSEED

This has now become our family game. Currently my wife and 12 year old are playin' (^_____^)

Also, the voice overs are on point! lol

"Best.haunted-house.ever"

"my gun is bored!"

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Bless you Sandlot and XSEED

This has now become our family game. Currently my wife and 12 year old are playin' (^_____^)

Also, the voice overs are on point! lol

"Best.haunted-house.ever"

"my gun is bored!"

"In seven years, they have e-volved" has become a meme in our house.

Finally beat the game. I have to say for such a B movie tier story the arc of it is actually really fun. The flow of the story, from the initial resurgence to the first major invasion, to the counter attacks and the desperation as Earth crushes beneath the onslaught was just great.

I love how even the operators begin to freak out. The one girl
sobbing how she doesn't want to die.
The very last mission where they think all is lost and then you hear "
Wait, someone is still fighting? Storm team is still fighting
!" was such a fuck yeah I am moment.

Just got this game today. It has a full color manual and a sweet reversible cover!

Good going, XSEED. I haven't even played the game yet and I'm already happy with my purchase.

Mupod

GIANT INSECTS.

How does one dash cancel?

It's dependent on equipped weapons. The way I do it is I equip the spear that launches you forward in my left hand, and a handcannon on the right. Those super fast firing javelin launchers work well in the right hand too and you can shoot like 300 before reloading. I prefer the handcannons as they do a ton of damage and feel good to shoot.

You cancel the dash animation by firing the right weapon, then immediately dash again. When the right weapon is reloading, the spear I mentioned works well to keep you moving until you can fire the cannon again. I posted it on this page already but here's an example of me using it to stay alive on Inferno:

https://youtu.be/L37z9XPnLtA

EGOMON

This game now officially my third most played game on PS4 holy shit so damn good and addicting i can't believe so many people are missing this game and best thing is the netcode i mean i have yet to notice a lag and i play with people from all over the world kudos to Xseed

GIANT INSECTS.

It's dependent on equipped weapons. The way I do it is I equip the spear that launches you forward in my left hand, and a handcannon on the right. Those super fast firing javelin launchers work well in the right hand too and you can shoot like 300 before reloading. I prefer the handcannons as they do a ton of damage and feel good to shoot.

You cancel the dash animation by firing the right weapon, then immediately dash again. When the right weapon is reloading, the spear I mentioned works well to keep you moving until you can fire the cannon again. I posted it on this page already but here's an example of me using it to stay alive on Inferno:

https://youtu.be/L37z9XPnLtA

Thanks!

I still haven't found a class I'm in love with. The vanilla solider is okay, but I've played him so much in the Vita version I'm looking for change. The Ranger doesn't start out with anything all that good and his "limp" cannon is a little booty (to be fair, they said it's for support), the Winger is fun but I'm not feeling the weapons, and the Lancer has the coolest shit but is too slow. I'll try and do that dash canceling stuff. Should help to cull the slow movement thing.

Mupod

Thanks!

I still haven't found a class I'm in love with. The vanilla solider is okay, but I've played him so much in the Vita version I'm looking for change. The Ranger doesn't start out with anything all that good and his "limp" cannon is a little booty (to be fair, they said it's for support), the Winger is fun but I'm not feeling the weapons, and the Lancer has the coolest shit but is too slow. I'll try and do that dash canceling stuff. Should help to cull the slow movement thing.

I keep going back to Ranger. I like the dash cancel movement of Fencer but Ranger gets all the fun weapons like snipers and crazy fast rockets. Fencer is also complete garbage in tunnel missions, I was playing exclusively on Hard for a while and had to turn it down to make it past one of those.

I played Wing Diver a lot early on but it gets too risky later. Hectors were murdering me instantly.

Have not even TRIED air raider yet.

KDR_11k

Air Raider is very different to all the other classes because his main ability is dropping vehicles. Those are often tough to learn but they can be pretty amazing, especially because a high level vehicle also comes with high level HP so you can start higher difficulties long before you've done much armor grinding (an 8000 HP tank with a 4000 HP piercing railgun? yay!). The limpet launchers are the most versatile weapons in the game, infinite range, high precision, AOE and low risk of self damage. The damage against heavy enemies isn't great but you can usually summon a railgun tank to snipe those targets. And keep an eye out for his larger multi-person vehicles, they can be insanely powerful even with only one player manning them and hopping from station to station.

The Raider suffers a lot underground because vehicles and airstrikes don't work there but the Splendor variants of the Limpet guns are great for shredding EVERYTHING in tight tunnels with none of the risk of large grenades or missiles.

He's meant for support and has plenty of items only for that (devices that heal, refill Wing Diver energy, reduce incoming damage, increase outgoing damage or create force fields that stop enemy fire) but he's not required to be support-only. Also there are launchable sticky versions of those support devices, they can be stuck to your summoned vehicles for a constant damage boost or armor buff.

Where can I get this in Europe?

Only as an import but I think there are import listings even on Amazon. I got the Vita game from there.

Top Bottom