• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EarthBound |OT| Look at the sun. Face the sun and smile.

Desiato

Played Mother 2 for the first time a couple of months ago with the 30 yen promotion. Really cool game, full of character. Great to see Nintendo of Europe and America acknowledging its existence again.

Joqu

I went with Love instead of Rockin to have it be just like it was in Mother 3. I kind of regret it but oh well! I'm not going to restart now.

Also, is there a way to buy this twice on the same machine?

I'm pretty sure there isn't. There wouldn't need to be one since games are shared between users.

Nintendo should add the option to gift games already, I want to spread the love. They had one with the Wii!

I went with Love instead of Rockin to have it be just like it was in Mother 3. I kind of regret it but oh well! I'm not going to restart now.

I'm pretty sure there isn't. There wouldn't need to be one since games are shared between users.

Nintendo should add the option to gift games already, I want to spread the love. They had one with the Wii!

If they added a gift option I swear I'd gift at the least two copies to GAF members. EarthBound needs all the support it can get!

Fou-Lu

I probably shouldn't buy it yet after the hit my wallet has taken from the Steam sale... But fuck do I love this game.

I managed to play a little bit last night and can already tell I'm really going to like the writing in the game; a couple of lines from the dog got a good chuckle out of me.

Joqu

If they added a gift option I swear I'd gift at the least two copies to GAF members. EarthBound needs all the support it can get!

Same here.

I really don't get why there isn't a gift option anymore. And I doubt they are planning to add one seeing that the 3DS doesn't have one either.

Hopefully Miiverse does a good enough job at selling the game to people, I want an official Mother 3 release dammit!

RazorK1d

The soundtrack is still as godly as I remembered it back in 1996 when I got it. I'm so glad I can play it again legally (my old snes cart's save battery died). What would make this perfect is if I could play this on my 3DS on the go as it's gonna take me forever to finish this again.

Chill Dude

Neo Member
The soundtrack is still as godly as I remembered it back in 1996 when I got it. I'm so glad I can play it again legally (my old snes cart's save battery died). What would make this perfect is if I could play this on my 3DS on the go as it's gonna take me forever to finish this again.

I couldn't agree more can't wait to play the hell out of this after I finish work however would love it to be 3DS cross play. One advantage to the Wii U though is that at least I can continue whilst watching TV or lying in bed ;)

$10!

I know it's a classic but that's kind of pricey.

A loose cart easily goes for between $150-200 and a copy of the player's guide in good condition averages close to $200 as well. So, regardless of some folks personal budget preferences for their downloadable games, 9.99 for a legit way to play the game + a free digital copy of the original player's guide is definitely not "pricey." Really don't see what's so hard to get about this.

Rich!

My crew:

Rich
Arse
Wanka
Batman
XBone

Favourite food: Weed
Favourite thing: Boobs

First time playing Earthbound. I've finished Mother 3 multiple times and absolutely love it, so we will see if this stacks up to it for me.

so far so good

First time through this game!! Lots of fun, with some hilarious writing! Reminds me a lot of the writing in Paper Mario and M&L series.

Game is no slouch, getting my butt kicked early on just exploring Onett. Is there a preferred level to fight Frank? What items should I stalk up on early in the game!?

Chojin

What do game overs do exactly? I got reseted to the last save point but the enemies I defeated are still gone.

You lose half your cash on hand. I think the money in the bank is okay. You're revived with full health but whatever PP you had and you have to get the rest of the gang out of the hospital.

Also this whole day at work I'm humming the Twoson theme. God I love this game so much. It's bringing back so many great feelings.

Chojin

6991 posters in the Miiverse community.

So much loooooove.

Agreed, a bit of FUD pops in once in a while, but for the most part its very positive and its just so awesome how much I love Miiverse. It's infinitely a much better experience than when I first played on my SNES back in the day. I get to see how much other people are enjoying the game, its not like something I could really tell my friends at school because nobody gave a shit about the game at all when I was in high school. Seeing so many people play it for the first time and the delight they have for it is priceless. I'd say worth two bucks ;)

Just made it to the third town. The game is really good, and pretty damn hard compared to how console RPG usually are. Without save states I'd be in trouble.

Edit: third town, sorry

Chojin

Just made it to the fourth town. The game is really good, and pretty damn hard compared to how console RPG usually are. Without save states I'd be in trouble.

I've debated on whether to use save states or not. But after last night I'm not going to go that route. Dying isn't a HUGE issue, sure you have to trudge through a dungeon again and fight some enemies over but its really that type of game it is, its very much in the Dragonquest line of RPGs where you keep at it, sure its a grind but thats the type of game it is.

I won't disparage anyone from using save states of course, but for me its about picking yourself back up, heading back in and growing stronger for it.

PKrockin

If you keep your money in the bank you basically can't lose any progress if you die, unless you use rare items. The money you gained from enemies before you died should cover the costs of healing the party and then some, and you keep all the experience you gained. You also don't have to worry about saving all the time.

Kurtofan

You lose half your cash on hand. I think the money in the bank is okay. You're revived with full health but whatever PP you had and you have to get the rest of the gang out of the hospital.

Also this whole day at work I'm humming the Twoson theme. God I love this game so much. It's bringing back so many great feelings.

Oh I lost some moneys then, thanks :( oh well it's better than losing all progress I suppose, less stressing.

Chojin

Oh I lost some moneys then, thanks :( oh well it's better than losing all progress I suppose, less stressing.

Earthbound is a life simulator. Don't carry cash around or you'll get mugged. Keep it in the bank until you really need to use it. There's rare times when you need to be carrying a bunch of cash on you anyway.

But yeah, death is not the end and its not like Final Fantasy or a bunch of other Snes games back in the day where if you didn't save you were screwed. It's not a cakewalk either, it has the right amount of skill, grinding and of course luck to proceed.

Tiktaalik

If you keep your money in the bank you basically can't lose any progress if you die, unless you use rare items. The money you gained from enemies before you died should cover the costs of healing the party and then some, and you keep all the experience you gained. You also don't have to worry about saving all the time.

Yeah the only time I ever feel the urge to reset after dying is if I used a bunch of expensive and rare items (ie. Cup of Lifenoodles) in a battle.

B-Dex

zlCfzRDkYrU-Zy6bvg

Naar

I remember I kept reading about a cave at the beginning of the game that made people quit the game because it was hard?

Is it the one called "Giant something"? because I died there many times and its only 30 minutes or so into the game. When I noticed I didn't really lose anything when I died, I just took it as an opportunity to rush the area and keep leveling up since it has good EXP there

Glad everyone seems to be enjoying what has been my favorite game since 1995. The whole wii u community sharing thing is honestly the most tempting reason to buy a wii-u for me personally since the thing was announced, but I can't get one just yet. I still wish there was some way to purchase this game and show my support, after everything us EB fans have suffered through over the years...

You can use savestates on VC games? Is that only on Wii-U? How many slots do they give you per game?

Jrs3000

Glad everyone seems to be enjoying what has been my favorite game since 1995. The whole wii u community sharing thing is honestly the most tempting reason to buy a wii-u for me personally since the thing was announced, but I can't get one just yet. I still wish there was some way to purchase this game and show my support, after everything us EB fans have suffered through over the years...

You can use savestates on VC games? Is that only on Wii-U? How many slots do they give you per game?

Yes, only one save state per game.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Ramblings:

I have the opportunity to play this game for the first time since I first dabbled with it in 1995. Obviously I've known how to run the game on an emulator since the 90s, but that's an unpleasant experience IMO. I never bothered, and hoped to come across a cheap cart someday. We all know how likely that was.

Playing this game on Wii U now and I am loving it so much. Honestly though, it also makes me angry I didn't pay attention to it back in the day. I was that guy: totally into jRPGs, pouring over Nintendo Power - I should have known better than to ignore it. But despite a school buddy bringing over the cart and eagerly demoing the game for me, my reaction was "meh". I never attempted my own playthrough. The fates dangled this masterpiece in front of my face, and I said No. :(

I didn't dislike it back then, it just wasn't what I was looking for. I think I understand those dismissive magazine reviews at the time. I don't think a lot of westerners were looking for a post-modern, trend-bucking, comedy jRPG back then. We were still getting our clutches into the genre - we need to get the self-serious epics out of our system before an irreverent and humorous non-epic became appealing. At least that's how I felt.. (I know some of you lucky ones got the memo 18 years ago). After the height of melodramatic anime doofusry in the XIII games, a game like this is greatly appealing, much more than in 1995.

And it's funny to come back and play it with entirely new eyes, with the new awareness that it is a beloved GOAT masterpiece. I didn't know it was supposed to be that good in its day... When I ignored it, and thought of it in my rearview mirror, I imagined it was, at most, the StarTropics of SNES. A good game, but just a silly romp. I didn't know it was a rival to the golden age jRPG crown along with FFVII and CT. Surely not something that would be pricey and rare to pick up down the line...

The best part about playing this game now, is that it doesn't feel like an "old school" RPG at all. It feels very streamlined and new - it solves jRPG problems that most jRPGs still have. (like the instant win over underpowered enemies). It feels very fun to play, very Nintendo. And I think it was a forerunner to streamlining jRPGs that I previously thought hadn't begun until games like Super Mario RPG, FFVIII, Paper Mario, etc.

And that soundtrack. There is stuff here I have never heard anywhere on SNES, and I've listened to a lot of SPCs in my day. Reggae hospital music? Wild.

It makes me want to buy the cart :p
complete in box :p

F#A#Oo

Banned
First time experiencing this franchise. I'm having a blast.

Thanks to those fans who made Nintendo do this.

I'm not sure now why this franchise failed. Sometimes the gaming public can be so fickle.

BocoDragon

First time experiencing this franchise. I'm having a blast.

Thanks to those fans who made Nintendo do this.

I'm not sure now why this franchise failed. Sometimes the gaming public can be so fickle.

1995 was still the territory of "Western gamers don't play RPGs... usually".

I think if it were released post-FFVII it would have been a hit. Definitely post-Smash Bros games.

The failure of Mother 2 in the west was probably taken as market gospel long after it should have been. Certainly, by the time of 2006, Nintendo could have sold Mother 3 in the west.

Shahadan

Certainly, by the time of 2006, Nintendo could have sold Mother 3 in the west.

Gba was mostly dead by then. Sure they could have ported it to DS, but that would have made minimal returns since it wouldn't have sold that much, and most importantly it had not franchise potential as Mother 3 was the last entry, period.

BocoDragon

Gba was mostly dead by then. Sure they could have ported it to DS, but that would have made minimal returns since it wouldn't have sold that much, and most importantly it had not franchise potential as Mother 3 was the last entry, period.

I suppose you're right. If you have to translate a game on a dying platform, it's not worth it.

It's just a shame that you could release a GBA game at the time (Drill Dozer) and you could release an English translated RPG on DS (Magical Starsign)... and fan favorite Mother 3 was unreleased in the midst of those. I feel if you had a time machine you could sacrifice those two games for a Mother 3 release... :p alas.

Shahadan

I'm curious to see what they'll do next if Eathbound sells rather well, although Wii U could automatically prevent that from happening.
Iwata hinted last year they might still release Mother 3 in the west. I just wonder where. GBA titles (except those ambassador titles) are still not on 3DS and may not even happen, and releasing it would be weird since 3DS owners don't have access to Earthbound. Releasing it on Wii U would be even weirder as it would be the only gba title on there.

Then again we got another Sin&Punishment spawning from a VC success. And bombed, but still.
Maybe some sort of remake.

It's weird he talked about Mother 3 and 6 months later we get an Earthbound announcement. I kinda don't believe Miiverse has that much power. Maybe something is in the works, if you're willing to be optimist :lol:

I'm curious to see what they'll do next if Eathbound sells rather well, although Wii U could automatically prevent that from happening.
Iwata hinted last year they might still release Mother 3 in the west. I just wonder where. GBA titles (except those ambassador titles) are still not on 3DS and may not even happen, and releasing it would be weird since 3DS owners don't have access to Earthbound. Releasing it on Wii U would be even weirder as it would be the only gba title on there.

GBA for WiiU VC is already confirmed.

1995 was still the territory of "Western gamers don't play RPGs... usually".

I think if it were released post-FFVII it would have been a hit. Definitely post-Smash Bros games.

The failure of Mother 2 in the west was probably taken as market gospel long after it should have been. Certainly, by the time of 2006, Nintendo could have sold Mother 3 in the west.

To be fair, I wonder if it's so much about Earthbound's market failure as it is about Mother 3's themes and references making Nintendo's lawyers timid. Think about it: A 2006 GBA game whose colorful graphics would have tricked unsuspecting parents into buying their children a game with some 'adult' themes and some other material, namely the group of transvestites, that could have had those same parents screaming about Nintendo corrupting their young ones with hints of homosexuality. It might never have happened, but one wonders if Nintendo's executives feared the damage to their brand image enough that they went silent on the title.

oatmeal

Banned
I beat the big Ant, whatever it was called to get to the giant foot.

I'm enjoying the atmosphere and the setting more than I am the combat...which I feel feels sloppy. Doesn't seem like a lot of the enemies give you a chance to get in a sneak attack...and the actual fighting is really bizarre, I never know who's turn it is when I'm selecting my action. Seems like you preload it before getting attacked. But sometimes I'll make an attack based on my HP, but by the time my attack happens, the enemy has hit me with a big hit and I need to refill...but it's already too late.

Or am I just doing it wrong?

Top Bottom