• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EarthBound |OT| Look at the sun. Face the sun and smile.

Damn it Nintendo. I don't own a Wii U but love everything EarthBound. I wish Nintendo had an account system JUST so I could buy EarthBound to help show them that people DO love the series and want more of it here in the US. I will definitely buy it when I pick up my Wii U later in the year.

mantidor

Ah, you newbies are in for such a treat. To be young and playing it for the first time again *swoon*

In another topic, I wrote a rather lengthy post in another topic describing in many ways there is congruity between gameplay and the stories themes, so take a gander if you want to maybe have your eye opened in a few ways about just how superbly crafted the title can be.

You owe me a copy! :p

heh ok honestly, if we were to wait until Nintendo implements gifting we'll be waiting for a long time. It's kind of expensive for me right now but I will get it eventually.

Fuck.

I'm furious. Every time I download something from the eshop it defaults to my external drive for some stupid reason. And then I don't remember to manually move it to my flash internal and so I play it and it crashes. Even if I have restore points and saves, they ALWAYS GET WIPED.

I was up to the arcade (which took me an hour or so...first time) and lost it all.

This has happened before, too. So mad. Any game off of the USB drive freezes.

What's wrong with your external? Is it powered properly? (i.e. are you using a Y-Cable if it's not plugged into an outlet?)

legacyzero

Banned
*Ness casts PSI NeoGAF!*

SWISH. SWISH... BOOM

EDIT: So how's all the noobies liking the game so far? Truly a legendary game.

PKrockin

I'm almost certain that it's the original game fully intact, just based on what Bill Trinen said.

Of course, confirmation would be nice. Anyone get to the Sky Runner part yet? Did they change the music? (admittedly that part is a few hours into the game so I doubt anyone is there yet unless they've been playing all day).

To be honest it'd be kind of silly if they did change anything. It's all pretty much fair use and parody. Dali's Clock might be the one exception, I don't know.

I read a comment on the Miiverse suggesting the music when you sleep at the hotel didn't sound like he remembered. It'd be nice if someone could confirm that (I'm starting my playthrough later)

Amir0x

Banned
You owe me a copy! :p

heh ok honestly, if we were to wait until Nintendo implements gifting we'll be waiting for a long time. It's kind of expensive for me right now but I will get it eventually.

If you have a way for me to give you a copy without gifting, I'm game. The only thing I can think of is like paypal-ing you $10 bucks, but you'll have to wait til Thursday if you want it that way :p

morikaze

Banned
I read a comment on the Miiverse suggesting the music when you sleep at the hotel didn't sound like he remembered. It'd be nice if someone could confirm that (I'm starting my playthrough later)

The first 10 notes are taken from the Beatles' song Good Morning so that would make sense...

Sbik

Neo Member
The players guide pdf file has the scan of scratch and smell cards too. I still remember that weird addicting smell. So much nostalgia :)

Muskweeto

I haven't played this since I was a kid, I'm enjoying the shit out of this right now.

I wish I didn't remember the ending so I could experience it again for the first time, but I guess being able to remember it after all these years just shows how good it was.

Aeana

I've been wanting to replay EB for a while, and ever since it came out on Japanese VC I've been holding out. Sadly I'm in the middle of SMT4, so it has to wait a little longer. (._. )

Shahadan

Anyone new to playing the game should make an effort to not only talk to many NPCs, but to also stop and read whatever signs (including bulletin boards) that are around. The game's writing is just flat-out fun to read regardless of the context.

I'm doing it ! Which is a nice change from Dream Team where I avoided everything like plague. EB does it like it should be done!

Also is it supposed to be hard? I've died 4 times already and I'm only at the Giant Step :lol:

PKrockin

Never played this (or any JRPGs really) so how sustainable of a strategy is Auto Battle?

Auto Battle simply uses physical attacks and heals when HP is low. It usually works okay for random battles but not bosses or certain encounters. I hope you're not planning on using it as a replacement for actually playing the game. Overall the game isn't very difficult, grindy or obtuse like other JRPGs can be. There are a few difficulty spikes early in the game (the Sharks and Peaceful Rest Valley specifically), but after that the game is somewhat easy.

Protip: you won't lose money stored in the ATM.

mantidor

If you have a way for me to give you a copy without gifting, I'm game. The only thing I can think of is like paypal-ing you $10 bucks, but you'll have to wait til Thursday if you want it that way :p

Paypal doesn't work for me, maybe an eShop prepaid card? All I would need would be the code, I'm not in the States but my WiiU is configured as if it was. Nintendo sucks with their no gifting, the damn Wii has it already!

But there's no rush really, I appreciate the effort from a fan who wants to spread the word about the game, if we can't work anything I'll be getting it next month anyway since I will also have to get Pikmin 3 digitally and will fill my account with moneys for that. I'll probably end up buying an overpriced eShop card online.

XqqZduil.jpg

Joining the family.

Shahadan

You know what is the most mind blowing thing for me? It's how the game highlights how a good sound design and art can change everything. (edit: well I might as well say atmosphere)
I mean, I had seen screenshots and found the game unappealing visually, but now that I've tried it, I'm completely hooked.

Also I'm loving the fights probably because of the sound design too. I thought I didn't like these types of fights but now I realize it was mostly because of art and sound, like in Dragon Quest. I never could get into it.
Don'y know if that makes sense for anyone.

Amir0x

Banned
Paypal doesn't work for me, maybe an eShop prepaid card? All I would need would be the code, I'm not in the States but my WiiU is configured as if it was. Nintendo sucks with their no gifting, the damn Wii has it already!

But there's no rush really, I appreciate the effort from a fan who wants to spread the word about the game, if we can't work anything I'll be getting it next month anyway since I will also have to get Pikmin 3 digitally and will fill my account with moneys for that. I'll probably end up buying an overpriced eShop card online.

Unfortunately, the prepaid cards only come in $20, $35 and $50 formats. I had already thought about that long ago since I knew gifting was up yet :(

Shahadan

Unfortunately, the prepaid cards only come in $20, $35 and $50 formats. I had already thought about that long ago since I knew gifting was up yet :(

You can still give away premium discount codes if you have a black Wii U! Put that credit card to work! :lol:

trixx

Repost, posted in the wrong thread

Here's my thoughts so far(im a new player)..
From my perspective so far I think the game is alright I'm thinking the beginning is a little slow like most rpg's. The music and artwork are great and I like the fact that you can sneak up to get the first hit on enemies which I presume this is one of the first games to have this feature. Can't say I'm a big fan of the battles though, pretty much plays like most rpg. To be fair though there are only a handful of turned based battle systems that I have actually enjoyed, usually the ones that are more interactive.

Is there a way I can download the guide on my phone.

Going to continue playing now

Also one more thing... narrowly missed hitting the target =/

PBalfredo

So far one of my favorite things has been just watching the EarthBound Miiverse and seeing the reactions of all the people who are playing for the first time.

PKrockin

Repost, posted in the wrong thread

Here's my thoughts so far(im a new player)..
From my perspective so far I think the game is alright I'm thinking the beginning is a little slow like most rpg's. The music and artwork are great and I like the fact that you can sneak up to get the first hit on enemies which I presume this is one of the first games to have this feature. Can't say I'm a big fan of the battles though, pretty much plays like most rpg. To be fair though there are only a handful of turned based battle systems that I have actually enjoyed, usually the ones that are more interactive.

Is there a way I can download the guide on my phone.

Going to continue playing now

Also one more thing... narrowly missed hitting the target =/

Guessing you bought yourself a "shooting" weapon like a yo-yo? Those have a higher miss rate than "bashing" weapons like bats, so I prefer bats.

The appeal of the battles, to me, isn't the core mechanics themselves but the bizarre enemies, psychedelic visuals, variety of battle music, and conveniences like auto-winning, on-screen enemies and the rolling HP meter.

Shahadan

So far one of my favorite things has been just watching the EarthBound Miiverse and seeing the reactions of all the people who are playing for the first time.

I'm surprised at how active it is for a VC games released a few hours ago. Then again it's America and europe combined.

Amir0x

Banned
You can still give away premium discount codes if you have a black Wii U! Put that credit card to work! :lol:

Like I would ever support the system that forced Nintendoland upon me. Fuck that shit. I'll take the less gig system and just use my own HDD and avoid forced games especially ones that are mini-game compilations. Pass! Of course I didn't really have a choice in the matter since my fiancee got one for me as a gift last year, but she made the right choice >:)

If someone comes up with a good solution to dish out the EB games minus gifting, send me a message with the idea. I'd love to be able to get more people into EB.

Wow, this news caught me completely off guard. Totally not expecting Earthbound to be released this early. Can't wait to finally play through it for the first time. Super excited!

Happy Video Game Nerd:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ4AictvRdU

Clan of the Grey Wolf:
History of the game:
Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvyb_oNybOI
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHKnwAihIro
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Enx7nXRHcJw

They are not reviews, as much as they are retrospectives and love letters to the game and its creator (they do contain spoilers though for your new people)

Just found myself watching through all of those. Very insightful! Thanks for that!
I've always been aware of the franchise but never really bothered to look further into it...especially considering I'm from the UK.
And we all know how great Earthbound did in Europe.......

This will be a definite purchase for me when I plan to pick up a WiiU in the coming months or most likely next year.

trixx

I also must add that i love the dialogue and yea the enemies in this game are hillarious

"kids like you should be at home pleaying Nintendo games"

fighting the cops lol

Posted in the price whining thread by mistake...this game is so great.
Grinding to level 8 in Onett, doing auto battle while reading this thread. Today's a great day.

Codeblue

Onett is fine

Sorry it took me so long. There were a bunch of neat little things they added like the flying saucer loading animation so I took a super quick video.

It's a little hard to see but the table of contents read:

1.Intro
2.Manual
3.Strategy
4.Chart

Hope that helps! Let me know if you need pictures as well.

oatmeal

Banned
What's wrong with your external? Is it powered properly? (i.e. are you using a Y-Cable if it's not plugged into an outlet?)
Not sure. I have a Y cable for it. Maybe I need a new drive. But still, why does it default to the external drive when downloading?

kingslunk

Sorry it took me so long. There were a bunch of neat little things they added like the flying saucer loading animation so I took a super quick video.

It's a little hard to see but the table of contents read:

1.Intro
2.Manual
3.Strategy
4.Chart

Hope that helps! Let me know if you need pictures as well.

Thanks a ton sir! You went above and beyond with the video. I assume you need to be connected to the internet?

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh, the guide is not "optimized" for the gamepad at all. It's reaaaaally slow, and I always get "page not found" errors. :/

Eusis

Ugh, the guide is not "optimized" for the gamepad at all. It's reaaaaally slow, and I always get "page not found" errors. :/
Once you try this on an iPhone or whatever you'll take it back: it fits perfectly on the GamePad, whereas the iPhone's just an embarrassment, maybe it's better on iPhone 5 but probably not enough to be usable. Nexus 7's OK, but it can only be used adequately when horizontal. Yeah, it REALLY should be faster, but I guess it performs well ENOUGH for them.

Lynd7

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but the European site has a normal PDF download of the guide.

Amazing game, I played it on my SNES for the first time this past year and can't wait to play it again on the Gamepad. Maybe I'll get the Sword of Kings this time.

Does the player's guide have to be viewed through the 'net browser? I noticed the download was bigger than usual so was hoping it'd be tied to the app/rom somehow.

Still keeping my cart (heard some of the Psy effects were modified/toned down a bit?) and guide (with its beautifully intact scratch and sniff cards) but this is gonna be a treat in 1080 on my TV or in bed on the Gamepad.

jepense

Bought! I know I don't have time to play it right now, but have to show the support. First-time euro here, by the way. I'm so looking forward to this.

L Thammy

Reposting from an older thread:

EarthBound's still my favourite game ever, so I guess I should try to explain the appeal too. A lot of people seem to reduce the game to just the ending. I don't think that's right.

To start off, understand that it's not that great on paper, it's more about the experience. It doesn't have the most detailed graphics on the SNES. It doesn't have a particularly advanced battle system. It's probably better than most RPGs of the time in terms of gameplay, but it's quite accurate to call it a Dragon Quest clone. But it's a unique game within that rather traditional form.

Graphically, the game has a very simple look, a lot like Charlie Brown. It's sort of an interesting thing considering the game's setting. Most of the time it's not set in the real world; it's set in a cartoonish version of it. Not a particularly serious or dark place. But the game starts off warning you of a future where "all is devastation" - a very real threat that does show itself in the game. It's the same sort of contrast as some of the creepier Pokemon or a Kirby final boss has with the rest of its setting. It makes sense; the same HAL that makes Kirby worked on this game. The APE that worked on this game became the Creatures Inc that makes Pokemon, which has some other similarities (boy hero in a red cap and psychic powers).

The gameplay is somewhat more streamlined than other RPGs of its day. You could perform almost any action (except ringing your bicycle bell, which is useless) with just your left hand on the SNES controller. You can destroy weaker enemies instantly without a fight, avoid the stronger ones - there's no random battles - or chase away the weak ones. There's no overworld. But, at its core, it's a Dragon Quest knockoff. Not even an active time battle system.

But the bread and butter of the game is probably in the NPCs. Talking to everyone you meet is probably the best way to experience the game. Again, on paper, it doesn't seem impressive. They're just the standard JRPG guys who aimlessly wander a single spot and spout two pieces of text at most. Those lines might help flesh out the setting, they might be a hint. Or they might have nothing to do with you at all. It might be a joke, an odd comment, or it might even be a threat.

The man behind EarthBound is Shigesato Itoi. Some say that Nintendo can make another game without him, but it's actually rather absurd. Itoi isn't a game designer. He's a guy who does a lot of things. Based on what I've read: he wrote the lyrics to songs, books, blogs. He wrote the tagline to Miyazaki movies and did the voice of the father in My Neighbour Totoro. He's an influential gourmet in Japan and has appeared as a guest critic in Iron Chef. He came up with the name "Gameboy". He's gone gold mining - unsuccessfully. He's worked with Cirque de Soleil and followed them to North America.

Fundamentally, this is a game from an interesting guy who meets a lot of people, not a game designer. And that's a big part of it. The people in the game world don't necessary exist for you. But they're interesting. They can be silly, gloomy, informative, or weird. It's a good experience to talk to them. And, oddly enough, they might be inspired by real people.

The music's another distinctive thing. Not sure if there's any other game that sounds like it. It also shows off how difficult it is to peg the game as any particular thing. Some songs are goofy. Others are serious and cool. There's also plenty that have more soft and nostalgic.

And, of course, there's other little weird things. Most of the status ailments are non-traditional. Enemies will occasionally do completely useless things in the middle of battle. You can find burgers in trash cans. You can converse with animals through your psychic powers.

Story's a hard thing to dissect since people always look for something different. I don't think Itoi's ever been considered a novelist, though I seem to recall hearing that he's written at least one book, and I know he's collaborated with the novelist Haruki Murakami. I think you can get the most out of the story through an appreciation of subtlety. There's a lot of things that are lightly or indirectly explained, and I believe it's intentional. The villain, for example, largely acts through servants, puppets, and warnings from knowledgeable allies.

"The War Against Gigyas!" is a constant thing overarching the story. But it mainly takes the forefront towards the end. The game is linear and the bulk of it is paced in an episodic way: a bunch of largely unrelated things, but always distinct and interesting in their own regard. I think that people who like EarthBound have strong recollections of the locations. I think that the most interesting are
Happy Happy Village
Threed
Saturn Valley
Moonside
, and
Magicant
Stonehenge
, the
Lost Underworld
, the
return to Onett
, and the
Cave of the Past
might also be memorable locattions to some, though you don't spend a lot of time there, so most have probably forgotten them.

Speaking personally, I felt a great sense of adventure with this game. It's not a huge environment, but every one is filled with its own little quirks and some distinct experience. When it adds up, it makes the world feel larger than the size of the map.

...I should stop making gigantic posts.

I feel like Miiverse is really going to enhance the experience of replaying this. Also, it's a really cool thing that they're reprinting the manual. I loved that thing, especially the little fake newspapers.

Top Bottom