• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EarthBound |OT| Look at the sun. Face the sun and smile.

I think you need to be level 8 or 9. I died level 7 but when I came back at level 9 I stomped him.

EarthBound is like that. Stats/abilities gained when leveling aren't random IIRC, and certain levels are set up to give you insane buffs. One level can make all the difference. Feels really good to hit those specific levels.

IrishNinja

bought today...havnet had a chance to do this since earthbound first launched, felt good. i was debating a replay on my RGB SNES but off TV play & save states means this one might win, heh.

ps can anyone put a mr saturn on top of my luigi hat?

Davey Cakes

If you go into Frank at level 8 you will win, pretty much guaranteed.

It might take some Shark grinding but it's worth it for newcomers. I remember when I first played the game in the 90's, I feared Frank (or any upcoming boss, really) until I hit level 8 and one-shot him.

Now, those people who do low-level runs and take him on at Level 3 are wizards. Then again, at that point it's like playing with a deck of cards. You have to rely on luck.

I think you need to be level 8 or 9. I died level 7 but when I came back at level 9 I stomped him.

Grind some sharks first, and bring burgers. You'll be fine.

Have you considered leveling?

It's not really hard, there's no real skill to learn. Gain some levels and buy better equipment.
Lucked out and beat him and his robot at level 7 but it took quite a few tries. Restore points are great. Kind of my first JRPG experience so I see what this 'grinding' is all about.

Lucked out and beat him and his robot at level 7 but it took quite a few tries. Restore points are great. Kind of my first JRPG experience so I see what this 'grinding' is all about.

Restore points are a great time saver in this game, but I think they are actually making the game a bit harder in a way. When using restore points you'll have to grind for experience instead of playing the same level several times (and dying) in order to beat some of the bosses.

kizmah

Yeah, I'm having some trouble with Frank as well. I guess I just have to grind some more. His sharks are no match to me anymore so I'll just keep dropping them. Game is fun so far. It's nice to just wander around and talk to the npc's. And the music is just plain awesome. VC and off-tv play are a match made in heaven.

lol i remember having trouble with Frank back when i played it on the SNES. if you grind a lot, you should be find for most of the game.

Eusis

I went with default character names and... default alternatives for the food/favorite. I stuck with pasta because I love pasta in general, but to mix things up I went with "Hammer" as my favorite thing. Seemed more appropriate to the attack if nothing else.

I named my dog Frank, after Frank Zappa, the Shark's boss is also called Frank and then a Frank moved into my town in New Leaf. Ah, the synchronicity of life!

This game is amazing. So much personality and charm and humour, its beautiful.

How is Mother on the NES? The story for it sounds interesting.

Davey Cakes

Mother is the hardest game in the series, but it's worth checking out if you're a fan of Earthbound. The story is kind of simple but I do think it has some intriguing aspects.

The game has a similar quirkiness to it at parts. One of the things I noticed is that it has a creepier and more cryptic vibe than Earthbound. It certainly has a unique atmosphere.

Sipheren

Banned
Loving this game, just came across a pencil in the ground, not sure what the deal is with it yet.

So far, this is the best game I've played on the Wii U.

Impossiburu

Neo Member
Never beat this game. Borrowed it from a friend as a kid, never had enough time to clear it. As time went on, I tried a few ROMs but wished I was playing it on a TV.

Here we go.

antitrop

lol i remember having trouble with Frank back when i played it on the SNES. if you grind a lot, you should be find for most of the game.
Frank is probably one of the most difficult bosses in the game. Even upon replays sometimes it felt like I was just barely scraping by with him.

Damn I've been wanting to play this since it's got the ridiculous hype surrounding it but alas no Wii U and don't see myself getting one for sometime, it'd be awesome if Nintendo released this on the 3ds. Hope everyone else enjoys it as I'll be reading impressions.

Davey Cakes

Frank is probably one of the most difficult bosses in the game. Even upon replays sometimes it felt like I was just barely scraping by with him.
Frank is cake at the right level. Basically, it helps to grind.
One PK Rockin' will do him in.

Onett and part of Twoson are a bit tough and more grind-y because you're playing solo and have no backup. Things get a little more manageable when you have access to teddy bears and, of course, further party members.

I never understood people who died to Frank. Are you buying equipment at the drugstore? That's all I think you really need to die to not get killed.

Chojin

I named my dog Frank, after Frank Zappa, the Shark's boss is also called Frank and then a Frank moved into my town in New Leaf. Ah, the synchronicity of life!

This game is amazing. So much personality and charm and humour, its beautiful.

It can be tough at times, there's a lot of random encounters especially with things that will wipe you quickly. Dialog is great but its nowhere near Earthbound. The music however, is probably my favorite of all time on NES. Its not chiptune badass rocking like Castlevania 2 or Megaman 2 but that music, oh man. If you ever get a chance try to listen to the Mother soundtrack with vocalizations as well. It's just a good time.

I feel such an idiot. I grinded for hours in Threed in order to beat
Belch, before realizing that I could win easily just by using fly honey

Chojin

I feel such an idiot. I grinded for hours in Threed in order to beat
Belch, before realizing that I could win easily just by using fly honey

Hee hee :) I can tell you're not using the guide. Which is 100 percent totally okay. But yeah there's funny things like that in the game.

I've never played a JRPG before aside from some ToS on GCN.

Would I like this?

Well Tales games and Earthbound are like on completely different spectrums of the JRPG genre. How do you feel about non-voiceacting, witty dialog with turn based battles?

Davey Cakes

I've never played a JRPG before aside from some ToS on GCN.

Would I like this?
It's hard to say since you haven't played JRPGs. The gameplay of Earthbound is mostly that of a classic RPG, with a few twists here and there in terms of presentation.

The game is driven mostly by the story, setting, characters, and writing overall. But, obviously you'll be in a fair amount of battles especially if you choose to grind.

In my opinion, the game sells itself in all areas, with the battle system being a mere device to break things up. Because of this, a non-RPG person might go either way on the game.

Mostly when you talk to an EB fanatic, the combat mechanics are the last things that come up. That said, you'd probably still have to appreciate them on some level.

jdforge

Banned
Thanks yeah it's mostly the amount of time that's usually required to get the most out of RPG's is why I've stayed away.

But hearing so much positive things about this game it's really tempting to give it a try.

Davey Cakes

Thanks yeah it's mostly the amount of time that's usually required to get the most out of RPG's is why I've stayed away.

But hearing so much positive things about this game it's really tempting to give it a try.
I always forget how long EB is. It's probably one of the shorter RPGs I know of, at least for its era. Possibly in the 20-hour range?

But, a lot of the time could be spent enjoying aspects of the game's world (e.g. talking to NPCs, exploring the towns to see what buildings you can go into, etc.) rather than just battling and dedicating yourself to leveling up. EB is very balanced in the sense that your character's level progression is a small part of a bigger experience. It's not a game where all the focus is put into bettering your character, getting loot, and being the strongest.

It's also a game that I could see being played over a long period of time. Some games are really tough to get into after a break, but I feel like if you took a break from EB, then read the Player's Guide for the area that you're in, you could get back into the groove and remember better where you are and where your characters stand.

Maybe you should watch the eShop Trailer in the OP or look at some other media to get an idea of what EB is like. Maybe go to Earthbound Central and check out some of the articles pertaining to the game.

Yanksfan

Wow, I cannot believe it finally has been officially re-released. I don't have a WiiU (this is the first game I really want for it), but like others have stated, I wish there was an option for me to buy it now. I would love to show my support for it and have it ready to download once I do get a WiiU. I am really surprised to see that they even put the guide out digitally. That is awesome.

I read through the entire thread this morning, I am really looking forward to the discussion that will come from newcomers experiencing it for the first time and grizzled veterans rediscovering the magic that this game possesses.

I am going to hook up my SNES and play along, methinks. There is too much goodness going on in here not to join in.

So I've been playing for a bit now and I have to say I'm really enjoying this game. The dialogue is a hoot and the music is phenomenal (it's getting stuck in my head :p). It reminds me of Pokemon without the pokemonz. <3

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Oh my. As a European I'm playing this for the first time, and it's amazing.

jdforge

Banned
I always forget how long EB is. It's probably one of the shorter RPGs I know of, at least for its era. Possibly in the 20-hour range?

But, a lot of the time could be spent enjoying aspects of the game's world (e.g. talking to NPCs, exploring the towns to see what buildings you can go into, etc.) rather than just battling and dedicating yourself to leveling up. EB is very balanced in the sense that your character's level progression is a small part of a bigger experience. It's not a game where all the focus is put into bettering your character, getting loot, and being the strongest.

It's also a game that I could see being played over a long period of time. Some games are really tough to get into after a break, but I feel like if you took a break from EB, then read the Player's Guide for the area that you're in, you could get back into the groove and remember better where you are and where your characters stand.

Maybe you should watch the eShop Trailer in the OP or look at some other media to get an idea of what EB is like. Maybe go to Earthbound Central and check out some of the articles pertaining to the game.

Thank-you kindly Sir. I have taken your advice and I'm downloading the game as we speak.

I will play when the sun eventually goes away here in the UK.

Cheers :)

Hee hee :) I can tell you're not using the guide. Which is 100 percent totally okay. But yeah there's funny things like that in the game.

Yeah, no guide. But I should have tried the thing sooner, maybe playing CoD and AssCreed has really melted my poor brain. So far there hasn't been anything too difficult in this game, it's pretty well balanced - no handholding and nothing too obscure.

NotLiquid

How to beat Frank:

1. Buy the Tee Ball Bat from the Drug Store and get Mr. Baseball Cap from the kids in the secret hideout.
2. Grind to Level 8 and you can get him in two hits.
PSI Rockin' can get his robot in two hits as well.
3. Don't use the Pizza.
Save that for the Sanctuary Boss.

PBalfredo

Grinding up to level 8 to beat Frank, while it surely works, seems a bit excessive IMO. You should be fine at level 5, just bring lots of burgers and eat one whenever your health fall into the 20's. Frank's knife brandishing hits hard, but his insults are basically a wasted turn and he has low total HP. When fighting Frank's robot, remember that the robot always wastes a turn generating steam after he attacks.

L Thammy

I don't know the level, but always thought of it more as grinding for burgers than for level. Thankfully, it's the only time you really need to grind. In the harder areas you'll run into later
Peaceful Rest Valley, I'm looking at you
you can just run from the strongest enemies.

Are a lot of you guys playing this for the first time?

EarthBound is like that. Stats/abilities gained when leveling aren't random IIRC, and certain levels are set up to give you insane buffs. One level can make all the difference. Feels really good to hit those specific levels.

Don't quote me on this, but I seem to recall it being a controlled random sort of scenario. Guts, Vitality, and IQ affect some of your stat growths. There's ways to boost that stat. Also, if you have a condiment and eat a food, you can consume the condiment instead of the thing you're eating. So by eating Rock Candy (a stat boosting item) while stocked up on condiments, you can grind up on those growth stats.

That said, I didn't bother with any of this stuff when I was a kid. I just mashed A through most of the battles, and I still managed to get through without intentional grinding.

The only thing that's annoyed me a little so far is those damn spores that you get, it makes traveling a pain and fights go terribly. Then you have to walk all the way back to the hospital. Also disliking how it seems Ness always seems to miss his hits...

But everything else in the game has been incredible so far, it's pretty tough, and this is my first play through of the game ever so I guess we'll see how it goes!

ghibli99

Very cool that this came out! Definitely one of my favorite games. Would love to show my love for it again, but alas, no Wii U. :(

Qurupeke

How I receive money from Dad? Just from walking, or battles? Or somethong else?

I'm currently exploring Onett. Man, the people are awesome! So many references and funny moments. I had trouble with the Pongo guys, as they started to attack me all at once. I guess tbeir boss must be quite difficult at first, based on what GAF is saying.

Top Bottom