• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EarthBound |OT| Look at the sun. Face the sun and smile.

EDarkness

I picked up my copy a little while ago. Kinda came out of nowhere, but I'm glad Nintendo released the game. It's one of the few classic games I never got a chance to play, but always wanted to.

Cody_D165

Banned
I made it to Twoson today. Making a commitment to finish this game. I've never had a copy of my own to play all the way through. Loving it offscreen on the Gamepad, too.

The Hermit

Don't have a WiiU, but when I get it this will be a sure buy.

To the newcomers, enjoy this masterpiece. I won't spoil, but i have to say that the final boss made me feel unlike any game before or after. Everything is really unique.

And the music...

I bought it, but my brother wants buy it, and I want another copy because we're that legit serious about showing Nintendo we want more Mother.

So is there any way to purchase an eShop title multiple times? I literally just want to throw all of my money at EarthBound, but Nintendo isn't letting me.

xourtney

Neo Member
I'm so excited to start playing this once I get back home! The SNES cart I have erased the bottom two saves a few years ago (my save was #3, banana flavored--barely out of the first town) and I haven't gone back to it since. :( I guess these things happen with mega old SNES games.

Does this give Earthbound a Miiverse channel or is there another place to post Earthbound drawings?

kingslunk

Question: Can you look at the guide on the controller at the same time you play? or do you have to pause the game and look?

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Been playing this on and off pretty much all day. So glad they finally rereleased this.

I'd like to know this. Anyone?

I can confirm that the Frank music, at least, is unchanged. Haven't gotten far enough in to see whether the Sky Runner music or Dali's Clock have changed or not.

For what it's worth, the Japanese release had no changed music and only a few changed lines of text (nothing related to censorship or copyrighted stuff, but some lines were rewritten for no apparent reason).

FlynnCL

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really interested if anything has changed at all. Also, I remember when I played Earthbound my attack / favourite thing was PSI Love. Heh.

http://earthboundcentral.com/2013/05/mother-2-wii-u-animation-changes/

Here's a possible change if it made it to the US release. Some PSI moves like Rockin' and Starstorm has a fade effect so it'd be less "flashy", probably to make sure they don't repeat a Porygon episode.

Huh, that's really cool. I like that effect.

Also keep your sanity and don't read the comments. For the love of god.

...woah, you weren't kidding.

I totally understand why they did it and I don't blame them for it or anything, but man, the altered PSI effects look so much worse than the originals. It's a shame.

Einbroch

Banned

Tiktaalik

Alright I've decided to buy the game again even though I bought the cart back in '95 to support the Earthbound series and encourage Nintendo to pay more attention to it.

Plus I'm interested to play along and share my experiences with other GAFers that are maybe playing for the first time. I hope lots of people decide to jump in.

Will pick up tomorrow/later today when I get paid, wooo. I didn't play this on the SNES myself, though I did check in on my bro while he played through it from time to time so I basically know the plot. Finally tried to play through it myself last year and kept getting obliterated by
the Kraken
, so I stopped lol.

Looking forward to it.

DJ88

Just played through to end of that cave.

2 things.

First, I love the music in this game!

And second, nothing feels better than watching the enemies that used to be way stronger than you run in fear and get stomped without even going into a battle.

Tiktaalik

This is kind of more of a general Virtual Console question, but is there a way to turn off the gamepad screen? I'm finding it really distracting to watch the TV but see the action on my gamepad at the same time. It seems that there's an option to disable the gamepad screen, but it turns back on as soon as you press a button. I guess that's for Netflix.

Next time I play I guess I'll dig out my wiimote and pro controller, but I for now I'll turn off the TV and play gamepad only.

Joqu

Ah, you newbies are in for such a treat. To be young and playing it for the first time again *swoon*

In another topic, I wrote a rather lengthy post in another topic describing in many ways there is congruity between gameplay and the stories themes, so take a gander if you want to maybe have your eye opened in a few ways about just how superbly crafted the title can be.

Reposting from an older thread:

I feel like Miiverse is really going to enhance the experience of replaying this. Also, it's a really cool thing that they're reprinting the manual. I loved that thing, especially the little fake newspapers.

I'm going to put a link to your posts in the OT if you guys don't mind. :)

I drew this on the EarthBound Miiverse! :)

uYfqwTc.png

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/Dreweyes

Same with your Miiverse drawing if that's okay for you, you did a great job!

Burning Justice

the superior princess
This is kind of more of a general Virtual Console question, but is there a way to turn off the gamepad screen? I'm finding it really distracting to watch the TV but see the action on my gamepad at the same time. It seems that there's an option to disable the gamepad screen, but it turns back on as soon as you press a button. I guess that's for Netflix.

Next time I play I guess I'll dig out my wiimote and pro controller, but I for now I'll turn off the TV and play gamepad only.

You can press ZR to enter the Virtual Console menu, then click the right stick, and while you're holding the right stick, press B. That won't turn it off completely, but it will replace it with a message telling you how to enable the screen again.

Tiktaalik

You can press ZR to enter the Virtual Console menu, then click the right stick, and while you're holding the right stick, press B. That won't turn it off completely, but it will replace it with a message telling you how to enable the screen again.

Nice thanks. Yeah that's not perfect but a bit better. I don't know why they don't at least have an option to turn it off completely. Maybe in a future patch...

Muskweeto

Going back to the one-handed game-play discussion:

Did you know you can configure the game controls to use the Wiimote in the vertical position by starting the game with the Wiimote and holding down the "2" button.

Then just press "A" and go to the controller config screen, press "+" to switch to vertical then configure the buttons to your liking.

You all may already know this, but I was blown away when I found out.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Nice thanks. Yeah that's not perfect but a bit better. I don't know why they don't at least have an option to turn it off completely. Maybe in a future patch...
If you have a pro controller (or any other conpatible controller for that matter) you can use that. Then click home go to controller settings and click the option to turn off the gamepad screen.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Going back to the one-handed game-play discussion:

Did you know you can configure the game controls to use the Wiimote in the vertical position by starting the game with the Wiimote and holding down the "2" button.

Then just press "A" and go to the controller config screen, press "+" to switch to vertical then configure the buttons to your liking.

You all may already know this, but I was blown away when I found out.
Didn't know this, nice find.

derwalde

I really want to read what newcomer Gaffers think of this game.

I played about 1,5hrs yesterday. Its a lovely game. The artstyle is incredible cute, the dialogues are funny and i really like the music. The overall atmosphere is just unique.

The battle system feels antiquated but in regard to the age of the game thats ok i guess (although the images of your enemies are funny as hell sometimes).

Im looking forward playing it further!

Fandangox

I played about 1,5hrs yesterday. Its a lovely game. The artstyle is incredible cute, the dialogues are funny and i really like the music. The overall atmosphere is just unique.

The battle system feels antiquated but in regard to the age of the game thats ok i guess (although the images of your enemies are funny as hell sometimes).

Im looking forward playing it further!

Battle gets more quick-paced once you get most of your party members.

jepense

You can turn off the screen completely in controller settings in the home menu I think.

Robin64

I forgot to mention, I had a moment last night where the mirroring of TV on the GamePad actually felt great.

I usually play with the pad in my lap, so don't really see it unless I look down. But then my first critical hit happened and SMAAAAAAAASH, the TV flashed bright green and suddenly I was aware of this big flashing green light in my lap too. It really added to the feeling of that critical hit and felt like a very basic version of that Light Thing that Microsoft demoed.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
It's surprising enjoyable to miiverse screenshots of good/funny bits. All garlic diet for life!

Top Bottom