• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EarthBound |OT| Look at the sun. Face the sun and smile.

L Thammy

The only thing that's annoyed me a little so far is those damn spores that you get, it makes traveling a pain and fights go terribly. Then you have to walk all the way back to the hospital. Also disliking how it seems Ness always seems to miss his hits...

But everything else in the game has been incredible so far, it's pretty tough, and this is my first play through of the game ever so I guess we'll see how it goes!

I actually didn't mind the spores. If I recall correctly, it rotates your controls instead of randomizing them. So try rotating the controller so that the D-pad works normally (from your perspective).

As far as Ness... For one thing, stick to baseball bats. Weapons determine accuracy, and almost all of the "standard" weapons have very good accuracy.

How I receive money from Dad? Just from walking, or battles? Or somethong else?

Battling. You get money from defeating enemies like in any other RPG, but you don't pick it up right away.

Is there any way to turn off the WiiU remote screen while I'm playing on the TV?

Are you playing with the GamePad? Then no, it'll turn back on as soon as you press a button. If using a Classic Controller or Pro Controller, go to Home and Controller Settings on the left to turn off the screen.

Tiktaalik

Grinding to beat Frank isn't necessary. Equip your self with the best weapons. Fill your item slots with Hamburgers (like 6 at least). Be extremely conservative in play style and heal with Hamburgers often.

Fandangox

This is one of my favorite games ever. I had my Wii U in a storage (along most of my things), as soon as I heard EarthBound was on VC I rushed there through mud and rain to get the thing out of the storage and used the $30 promotion eShop credit purchase and install it.

Managed to just play it a bit, playing EarthBound on the gamepad felt very surreal. Unfortunately, due to everyday shenanigans I cannot play it at the moment, so had to put the whole thing on the storage again.

Will really look forward to be able to this again. At least I can browse Miiverse on the phone and see how new players react to the game.

NotLiquid

Grinding to beat Frank isn't necessary. Equip your self with the best weapons. Fill your item slots with Hamburgers (like 6 at least). Be extremely conservative in play style and heal with Hamburgers often.

It's recommended to do so in order to have PSI Rockin' by the time you get to the Sanctuary immediately afterwards. The enemies in that area are in a brutally large quantity and the Titanium Ant boss and Cop Endurance that follows require some good stats to live through. The game doesn't give you much time to breathe so it's good to come prepared for those.

Fandangox

I struggle to buy this game for $9.99. Seems like it is $9 overpriced. Besides I have a huge backlog.

Its really worth it in my opinion. Some people on GAF were even expecting it to be priced around $15-20 I believe.

Of course I got it "free" thanks to the SMTxFE credit thing. Plus had $5 from the Deluxe promotion lying around since near launch.

If you have never played it I recommend you give it a try.
If you have already played it, then you know how the game is, so you can decide if $9.99 is a good value.

Eusis

Some friendly advice, DO NOT FIGHT ANY TREE ENEMIES OR ELSE YOU ARE SCREWED.
Correction: never, EVER beat them before any other enemies in combat. And you should probably make sure your HP is high before doing them in.

Like said they teach you about rolling HP, so you button mash to the victory message and you're safe. Hell, given it's largely automated (though I did pick Fast text) you'd probably survive regardless so long as the prior conditions I mentioned are met (beat last/decent amount of HP left.)

Eusis

Why does it seem $9 overpriced? It's a fantastic game and I don't feel that there is anything comparable to it for $.99
And most of those are in crazy sales: I could try to argue Alpha Protocol was a better value at $2... but you only had like one day EVER to get it for $2. Unless he's thinking of RPGs that went for $1 like Zeboyd's, but I doubt that had even close to the same number of man hours put into it (though it also doesn't help that Earthbound had to go for the most insanely overboard text system ever. Something's fucked if it can be repurposed as an emulator for the prequel or the game itself.

Anyways, just seems like some have really crazy views on value. I can understand finding $10 too much after several $8 games, or $8 itself being too high, but when you start expecting it to be a $1 like Angry Birds or something then I think you're just being crazy.

Qurupeke

I beat the Titan ant easily and I continue. I think I'll grind as much as I can and I'll explore everything. Until now, Iblike it very much. It has a superb atmosphere, humour and a nice vibe.

I have memories of seeing dozens of boxes of Earthbound in a clearance bin in an electronics store years ago. They were priced at $ 10.00. Shoulda picked em up...

eXistor

Oh, I'm ready.

H95ee6q.jpg

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
Are you playing with the GamePad? Then no, it'll turn back on as soon as you press a button. If using a Classic Controller or Pro Controller, go to Home and Controller Settings on the left to turn off the screen.

Thanks. Seems like a feature that would have been there day one.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Did they have to alter the music at all, due to the legal issues? Or is it all there as originally presented?

I wish I hadn't of missed this game during the SNES days - it is so charming. The graphics are pretty terrible (for SNES) but they work.

With all the interesting retro work coming out of indies these days I wonder if games like this will start to move us past "what looks the best" arguments.

Chojin

Did they have to alter the music at all, due to the legal issues? Or is it all there as originally presented?

As far as I can tell its the same. I noticed the "monty python" sample even though thats really public domain. But all the other songs and sound effects sound exactly like they did back in the day.

Eusis

Also, a word of advice to those of you playing for the first time: Stay away from the yo-yo.
On that note, I was surprised the yo-yo stayed in given it was edited to "island star" in StarTropics. I'm guessing the $2 really may have been to iron out miscellaneous licensing issues. Or the trademark died for good in Canada sometime in the last few years, whichever.

Neiteio

Oh, I'm ready.

H95ee6q.jpg
This is INCREDIBLE. :O

Also, I just purchased this game and watched the attract video at the title screen. The graphics look GREAT. I'm really surprised how well this game upscales... or did they up-res the graphics? SNES games don't usually look too hot on an HDTV, but Earthbound looks excellent.

Yes Boss!

This is INCREDIBLE. :O

Also, I just purchased this game and watched the attract video at the title screen. The graphics look GREAT. I'm really surprised how well this game upscales... or did they up-res the graphics? SNES games don't usually look too hot on an HDTV, but Earthbound looks excellent.

It is being upscaled by the Wii U to either 720 or 1080p (whatever you have set). Wii U actually does a very good job in this department.

Redberyl

Neo Member
Loving this game so far, actually prefer to play it on the gamepad rather than the tv, sounds are great out of the pad's speakers

Neiteio

It is being upscaled by the Wii U to either 720 or 1080p (whatever you have set). Wii U actually does a very good job in this department.
I wonder what the WiiU could do for SNES titles with heavily pre-rendered graphics, namely the DKC trilogy? Now there's a series that looks like hot garbage on an HDTV. If someone would come up with a way to properly display the DKC trilogy on an HDTV, I wouldn't need to keep a spare SDTV lying around!

kizmah

About four hours in right now and I am loving it. Did some grinding to beat Frank wich was kinda tedious but it payed of on my way to the Giant Step. Titan ant just got crushed! I'm really liking the atmosphere and the humor.

Btw, playing this off-tv only with nice headphones on. Best feature on Wii U by far!

Top Bottom