• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EarthBound |OT| Look at the sun. Face the sun and smile.

Neiteio

Wait, what's this about the guide being available digitally?? Is that the original Nintendo Power player's guide that released with the original game? Is it a separate purchase/download?

Mother is the hardest game in the series, but it's worth checking out if you're a fan of Earthbound. The story is kind of simple but I do think it has some intriguing aspects.

The game has a similar quirkiness to it at parts. One of the things I noticed is that it has a creepier and more cryptic vibe than Earthbound. It certainly has a unique atmosphere.

I like it, but it definitely feels pretty archaic by today's standards. It requires a lot of patience.

The quirky humor from EarthBound is present in the first Mother as well, and the music is pretty good.

It can be tough at times, there's a lot of random encounters especially with things that will wipe you quickly. Dialog is great but its nowhere near Earthbound. The music however, is probably my favorite of all time on NES. Its not chiptune badass rocking like Castlevania 2 or Megaman 2 but that music, oh man. If you ever get a chance try to listen to the Mother soundtrack with vocalizations as well. It's just a good time.

Thanks guys. I'd love to try it out one day, you hear me Nintendo!!

D-e-f-

Banned
About four hours in right now and I am loving it. Did some grinding to beat Frank wich was kinda tedious but it payed of on my way to the Giant Step. Titan ant just got crushed! I'm really liking the atmosphere and the humor.

Btw, playing this off-tv only with nice headphones on. Best feature on Wii U by far!

Can't say that enough.

Wait, what's this about the guide being available digitally?? Is that the original Nintendo Power player's guide that released with the original game? Is it a separate purchase/download?

http://earthbound.nintendo.com/playersguide/
(optimized for viewing in the Wii U browsers!)

PDF version:
http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Super-Nintendo/EarthBound-771110.html

it's a scanned version of the original.

edit: it's right there in the OP ... :p

eXistor

Where did you get those awesome Starman figures? I'd pay quite a bit for one of those.

Oh I did pay quite a bit for them :p These are not all of them, I have a bunch more scattered around my gameroom.

I just got them on eBay. They're going for quite a bit more these days though.

The skate punk is attacking!
Just missed!
Ness attacks!
Just missed!
Just missed!
Ness attacks!
Just missed!
Just missed!
Ness attacks!
Just missed!
Just missed!
Ness attacks!
Just missed!
Just missed!
Ness attacks!
Just missed!

This is a lesson in how some RPGs stretch out their length in ridiculous ways.

I got dat bat and I'm cracking dudes. Should I be using a yo-yo? I just assumed the bat was more expensive and better.

The yo-yo has it's perks but it's way less accurate than the bat. Stick with the bat and it's upgrades, you'll be better off than with a yo yo.

gogojira

Ah, good. Haven't done too much yet just wandered around Onett and killed the bad dude in the arcade. Friggin loving it so far (only ever played and beat Mother 3). I sort of want to turn on Smash Melee and play the Onett stage just so I can compare the environments.

Eusis

I wonder what the WiiU could do for SNES titles with heavily pre-rendered graphics, namely the DKC trilogy? Now there's a series that looks like hot garbage on an HDTV. If someone would come up with a way to properly display the DKC trilogy on an HDTV, I wouldn't need to keep a spare SDTV lying around!
They'd need to add bilinear filtering, similar to many earlier TG16 games and which the Vita has the option for. Kind of ironic though that many TG16 games had it with the argument that it's necessary for HDTVs, but for the visuals most of those had and games like Earthbound have it's not REALLY necessary, just a matter of preference. Meanwhile DKC... yeah, those are games that NEEDED it.

gogojira

So that Wii U EB guide can't be used while playing the game, right? It's strictly optimized for use with it. I don't really plan on using it, but I wanted to check it out so I just pulled up the browser and went to the site taking me out of the game.

Would've been neat to have it running on the Gamepad while I play.

Eusis

So that Wii U EB guide can't be used while playing the game, right? It's strictly optimized for use with it. I don't really plan on using it, but I wanted to check it out so I just pulled up the browser and went to the site taking me out of the game.

Would've been neat to have it running on the Gamepad while I play.
Not unless you're using a separate tablet that won't mess up the guide. The Wii U will only actively run one application at a time, so no web browsing on the game pad while playing on the big TV.
Slingshot misses a lot, isn't it? :/
That's what I was thinking, though the sand lot bat did for me too. I've gotta check the stats on those again.

For the newcomers:

You don't ever really need to grind in this game. If you fully explore every area, and don't actively avoid fights (I'd say as long as you fight around 80% of the enemies you end up casually running into..) you'll end up even somewhat overleveled.

That said, the very beginning really is one of the most difficult parts, and if you're completely new to the genre, a little grinding in Onett would makes things a lot more bearable. Just don't get too turned off by the first few hours because the battles eventually get much deeper as well as less unforgiving.

Oh, and never buy or equip a yo-yo or slingshot, no matter how good the stats look. Just don't!

gogojira

Not unless you're using a separate tablet that won't mess up the guide. The Wii U will only actively run one application at a time, so no web browsing on the game pad while playing on the big TV.

That's what I was thinking, though the sand lot bat did for me too. I've gotta check the stats on those again.

OK, just making sure there was no additional features built into the release. Not a big deal, I don't intend to use it regardless. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

gogojira

For the newcomers:

You don't ever really need to grind in this game. If you fully explore every area, and don't actively avoid fights (I'd say as long as you fight around 80% of the enemies you end up casually running into..) you'll end up even somewhat overleveled.

That said, the very beginning really is one of the most difficult parts, and if you're completely new to the genre, a little grinding in Onett would makes things a lot more bearable. Just don't get too turned off by the first few hours because the battles eventually get much deeper as well as less unforgiving.

Oh, and never buy or equip a yo-yo or slingshot, no matter how good the stats look. Just don't!

So I guess if I'm absolutely loving the beginning I should be good then? That's nice to know. It'll be interesting to see how this stacks up to Mother 3. Does Earthbound have the rhythm fighting system where you can fire off numerous attacks in one round?

The music is good. SO GOOD.

So I guess if I'm absolutely loving the beginning I should be good then? That's nice to know. It'll be interesting to see how this stacks up to Mother 3. Does Earthbound have the rhythm fighting system where you can fire off numerous attacks in one round?

The music is good. SO GOOD.

Yes,if you loved M3 then you are really in for a treat. I'm curious to know the opinions of people who only got to play this after M3, so I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Unfortunately it doesn't have the combo system of M3, but overall I think the battle system in Earthbound is a bit more solid for... reasons that I can't seem to put a finger on. I think EB is a little more consistent as an RPG whereas M3 ended up having spurts of dungeons and fighting in between story-heavy segments or exploration-focused areas. Don't get me wrong, I love Mother 3, but EB seems.. a little more comfortable being a videogame, if that makes any sense.

Should I buy again the bat I had? Or wait to find/buy the next weapon ?

Did you sell it for a yo-yo or slingshot instead? If so then yes, I would recommend replacing it with the best available bat ASAP to save yourself some frustration.

FSLink

Banned
Also guys,

Mayflash SNES/NES adapter + SNES controller = way to play this game for sure.

Using the adapter + a Super Famicom controller I have to play it. :p

IceCold

Amazing game and series. I've never played Mother but I've finished Mother 2 and Mother 3. The ending of Mother 3 actually made me teary eyed and that has never happened to me in a game.

PKrockin

How is the Miiverse community doing compared to other releases?
It already has more posts than all the other VC games except Super Mario World and most of the ones offered for $0.30. Most people haven't made it to Threed yet.

I don't think I've seen a single negative post about the quality of the game, just some about the price. Everyone seems to love it. They're not getting stuck very often either.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Just made it to twoson. My impressions: best 9,99€ I've spent in a game. From dialogs to the sound, the game oozes with charm and identity. Pretty amazing and I can't believe we didn't get a localized version in Europe, it just makes no sense for a cult title like this.

Ondore

For what it's worth:
- Normal bats and frying pans miss 1/16 of the time (6.25%), though the RNG in this game is brutal and frequently stacks up misses
- Slingshots and yo-yos miss 1/4 of the time (25%).
- The Casey Bat mentioned earlier misses 3/4 of the time, but its high offense means it can usually trigger auto-wins with green swirls which is handy for Sword of Kings hunting

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
A trick I learned from my cousin a long time ago.

After you beat the boss of a cave, everything will run away from you so it makes it incredibly easy to get the jump on all the monsters of that cave. It's so easy to level up this way it's almost an exploit. When I did this, the rest of the game, the next dungeon always got easy.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It occurs to me how easy it would be for Nintendo to put Earthbound Zero on VC. Much easier than getting Mother 3 out, even. It's translated by Nintendo and all ready to go.

Davey Cakes

The Casey Bat mentioned earlier misses 3/4 of the time, but its high offense means it can usually trigger auto-wins with green swirls which is handy for Sword of Kings hunting
That's another neat thing about the battle mechanics in this game.

Fandangox

That's another neat thing about the battle mechanics in this game.

Yeah.

This is a good method for late in the game.

Very commonly used to get the swords of kings from the deluxe(?) Starmen late in the game in that one-time dungeon in stone-edge.

Yanksfan

No, I'm using a bat! I never hit.

Weird, is it possible that they adjusted it for the rom dump to the Wii U? I have played through the game probably 10 times previously on the SNES and never encountered that kind of miss rate with a bat. I mean, there is definitely more misses in Earthbound than your standard JRPG, but man, that is just terrible.

Who in this thread is playing Earthbound for the first time?

First time in 2013! Just hooked the SNES back up today after reading this thread and will put in an hour or two tonight after I put my youngest son to bed.

I'm on the fence with this one. I'm not a big fan of turn-based RPGs in addition to being pretty bad at them, but this seems like a game I could still enjoy. How deep are the RPG elements, and would someone like me with little experience in the genre be able to handle the difficulty?

Weird, is it possible that they adjusted it for the rom dump to the Wii U? I have played through the game probably 10 times previously on the SNES and never encountered that kind of miss rate with a bat. I mean, there is definitely more misses in Earthbound than your standard JRPG, but man, that is just terrible.

I'm on level 6 and can't beat the shark guys 'cause I can't get a hit in. Even the crows from the beginning sometimes kill me before I stop missing.

Yanksfan

I'm on the fence with this one. I'm not a big fan of turn-based RPGs in addition to being pretty bad at them, but this seems like a game I could still enjoy. How deep are the RPG elements, and would someone like me with little experience in the genre be able to handle the difficulty?

You will handle it no problem, I am confident of that. I had little JRPG experience when I first played it and had no issues at all. It doesn't really take any skill, it is about the experience. It must be calling to you in some manner if you're interested, so that means you will dig the atmosphere. You're gonna like what you play, I guarantee it.

I'm on level 6 and can't beat the shark guys 'cause I can't get a hit in. Even the crows from the beginning sometimes kill me before I stop missing.

With a bat, you should be hitting way more than that. Sorry to hear it has been that frustrating so far, but your odds of it improving should be high.

Top Bottom