• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EarthBound |OT| Look at the sun. Face the sun and smile.

PKrockin

Weird, is it possible that they adjusted it for the rom dump to the Wii U? I have played through the game probably 10 times previously on the SNES and never encountered that kind of miss rate with a bat. I mean, there is definitely more misses in Earthbound than your standard JRPG, but man, that is just terrible.
I highly doubt that. And I was playing for an hour or two earlier and I missed as much as I remember. The miss rate is just high enough to fall into confirmation bias where you remember the misses and forget the hits.

I'm on level 6 and can't beat the shark guys 'cause I can't get a hit in. Even the crows from the beginning sometimes kill me before I stop missing.
The crows are hard to hit because of their very high speed, but if you can't hit the Sharks you have the worst luck.

I'm on the fence with this one. I'm not a big fan of turn-based RPGs in addition to being pretty bad at them, but this seems like a game I could still enjoy. How deep are the RPG elements, and would someone like me with little experience in the genre be able to handle the difficulty?

From the looks of it, you seem like a pretty big Nintendo fan, dude. Don't miss out on (imo of course) the greatest game they ever had anything to do with.

The difficulty is manageable if you don't mind a little grinding and make sure to spend your money on upgrading your equipment whenever you can. My GF's only experience with video games is playing OoT and button mashing on Street Fighter and she loves Earthbound and MOTHER 3.

For the people struggling at the beginning of the game: beat up some dogs and crows and eat their cookies.

I highly doubt that. And I was playing for an hour or two earlier and I missed as much as I remember. The miss rate is just high enough to fall into confirmation bias where you remember the misses and forget the hits.

The crows are hard to hit because of their very high speed, but if you can't hit the Sharks you have the worst luck.
This game sounds insane.

MAX PAYMENT

First time player. Wtf at the difficulty right off the bat. I couldn't avoid fighting like 3 dogs and 3 birds right as pokey was following me. I died. Seems like a weird first impression.

Cbajd5

It occurs to me how easy it would be for Nintendo to put Earthbound Zero on VC. Much easier than getting Mother 3 out, even. It's translated by Nintendo and all ready to go.

Isn't there a problem in that it's titled Earthbound too? The "Zero" was added by the people who dumped the ROM in order to differentiate from the official SNES game.

Although they could just do the same change. Otherwise it'll be confusing.

The cracked bat. Is there another bat in Onett town to get? I haven't been to any shops yet, just wanted to try and level up a bit. I have the
baseball cap from the lookout though
, still getting slayed.

Yes, go to the drugstore. See if it makes any difference. You'll need it anyway.

Tiktaalik

First time player. Wtf at the difficulty right off the bat. I couldn't avoid fighting like 3 dogs and 3 birds right as pokey was following me. I died. Seems like a weird first impression.

You shouldn't die that early. Strikes me as really bad luck with your encounters. If you see too many baddies on the screen at once, back away and the game will refresh the enemies.

This is a super necessary tactic to learn to beat the game.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Isn't there a problem in that it's titled Earthbound too? The "Zero" was added by the people who dumped the ROM in order to differentiate from the official SNES game.

Although they could just do the same change. Otherwise it'll be confusing.

Yeah that is a small problem. They could retitle it - they don't even need to change the title screen necessarily (several games were labelled differently on the VC menu: Dracula X was called Castlevania Dracula X, Super Mario Bros 2 Japan version was called The Lost Levels, etc).

Or they could just leave it as is. They have Sonic the Hedgehog for both Genesis and Master System. Different games. People don't seem to be confused.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
The cracked bat. Is there another bat in Onett town to get? I haven't been to any shops yet, just wanted to try and level up a bit. I have the
, still getting slayed.

Call your dad at the phone in the Hotel to cash in on any money you're owed, head the Drugstore, and buy yourself the Tee Ball Bat. It'll really help.

RagnarokX

Grinding to beat Frank isn't necessary. Equip your self with the best weapons. Fill your item slots with Hamburgers (like 6 at least). Be extremely conservative in play style and heal with Hamburgers often.

Hell, I beat him last night at level 5 or 6 with the cracked bat.

Cbajd5

Yeah that is a small problem. They could retitle it - they don't even need to change the title screen necessarily (several games were labelled differently on the VC menu: Dracula X was called Castlevania Dracula X, Super Mario Bros 2 Japan version was called The Lost Levels, etc).

Or they could just leave it as is. They have Sonic the Hedgehog for both Genesis and Master System. Different games. People don't seem to be confused.

The first could work, definitely.

Second is more a matter of Sonic being pretty popular. That is, less people would be confused and less people would care less if they messed up because it's still Sonic. I'd imagine people who downloaded the NES version would be pretty upset if they wanted the SNES version.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The first could work, definitely.

Second is more a matter of Sonic being pretty popular. That is, less people would be confused and less people would care less if they messed up because it's still Sonic. I'd imagine people who downloaded the NES version would be pretty upset if they wanted the SNES version.

Actually I'd think the average person who'd buy Earthbound is far, far more informed about the games in the series than the average person who'd buy Sonic games.

But they should label it as something unique, and I'm sure they would if they were to release it.

For that matter, they should release Star Fox 2 as well. It's not a great game (I've played through it), but it's complete, and Nintendo should do it just to have it out there.

trixx

I've died countless amount of times so far definitely one of the more difficult rpg's I have played since I'm usually dying to the regular enemies. Ness can't even run, and it sucks when your out of psi
Trying to rescue paula, level 16

Oh my god what is the point of the run feature honestly

Cbajd5

Actually I'd think the average person who'd buy Earthbound is far, far more informed about the games in the series than the average person who'd buy Sonic games.

But they should label it as something unique, and I'm sure they would if they were to release it.

For that matter, they should release Star Fox 2 as well. It's not a great game (I've played through it), but it's complete, and Nintendo should do it just to have it out there.

Maybe, but there's still the uninformed people to worry about. Like the people who'd see it in the Wara Wara Plaza or whatever.

Also I agree about Star Fox 2.

, still getting slayed.

Going to the newest shops and getting the best available equipment should always outprioritize going around and fighting enemies, the other way around just ends up making things unnecessarily harder for yourself.

PKrockin

Sounds like you had awful, awful luck. Take your dog with, and you can scroll enemies off the screen.
Call your dad at the phone in the Hotel to cash in on any money you're owed, head the Drugstore, and buy yourself the Tee Ball Bat. It'll really help.
No need to call dad, money is deposited as soon as you win an encounter.

Juice

This game is still so magical. Been playing on my GamePad the last few days.

I played it in ROM form now and again years ago, but only ever beat the game on my SNES. I think something about playing the ROM, where I had cheats and speed controls ruined the incentive structure of the game for me. This is fantastic, meanwhile.

It occurs to me how easy it would be for Nintendo to put Earthbound Zero on VC. Much easier than getting Mother 3 out, even. It's translated by Nintendo and all ready to go.

I'd really like this to happen. Hopefully there's enough interest from this release to make them consider it.

Who in this thread is playing Earthbound for the first time?

Yo. I was aware of the series through Smash Bros. and stuff but because the game was never realeased here until now and second hand copies go for so much I simply never got around to playing it/had a chance to do so until now.

Javier

I arrived at Frank at Level 10, and I didn't even grind. I just fought pretty much everything along the way. I think I only died twice before reaching Frank.

Started today and played up until Twoson. Never had much experience with RPGs but I'm having a lot of fun so far. And from what I know of the game as well as from screens/trailers, it's just going to get better from here... Aw yeah.

Stoze

So happy reading expressions here. I would love to wipe my memory of Earthbound and play it for the first time. It's just such a surreal game, and even though I only first played it like 4 or 5 years ago, it feels like I had played it at a really young age. It really makes you feel like a kid again.

I'm looking forward to everyone's impressions later in the game. It really just gets better and more magical as you go along, and ends on an insanely high note. The music gets even better too, some of the last tracks in the game are way ahead of their time.

Wish I had a Wii U, but I will never lose my SNES cart.

One of the best games of all time. As much nostalgia is attached to this game, and how apparently that is a terrible argument, I just hope you all enjoy this game as much as I did.

I got stuck as a kid somewhat early on and my SNES cart gave out a couple years ago a bit after I unlocked Poo :(. I shall complete it one day

Fandangox

First time player and loving this game. The combat system is my only issue with the game, thus far.

Love the game, but yeah the combat hasn't aged very well, it gets better later as you get more HP/party membets though. Still, compared to Mother 3's more fluid and clever battle system, its just not as good..

iirate

I just grind sharks until I can afford all the gear I need, have never paid attention to my level at that part. Normally Frank and Titanic Ant are pushovers and the police gauntlet is a little harder.

Not gonna spoil anything, but as an incentive to the newcomers I just want to let you know that you should be looking forward to one of the greatest final boss battles of all time, as well as the greatest ending in videogame history /hype

Raitaro

Not gonna spoil anything, but as an incentive to the newcomers I just want to let you know that you should be looking forward to one of the greatest final boss battles of all time, as well as the greatest ending in videogame history /hype

Please stop making me want to actually turn on my Wii U again to buy this game with posts such as these, I beg of you!

No, I won't be tempted. The Gamepad will be dead anyway! I won't be able to add money to my Dutch account here in the UK anyway(?)! I won't like the game anyway...!

...Sigh...

Now I want to buy it and spend the entire day playing it!

Earthbound is one of those games that has always eluded me somehow, but that always remained appealing to me because of its charm. I never owned the original and some 8 years ago I tried to purchase a complete in box copy through Ebay from a seller in Germany (with a quite acceptable price of around 80 euros I believe), but this had to be the one bloody time that a game never showed up and I never got my money back...

Coreda

Cross-posting from another thread:

Coreda said:
There's a Ustream channel Hobonichi Live I found which had a live playthrough of Earthbound/Mother 2 by it's designer Shigesato Itoi, archived on Youtube (thank god).

itoimother3playthrougnzs45.png

Only in Japanese, but this is the right thread for it. Sorry if posted before.

Muskweeto

This, so much this.
Anyone who says this is not exaggerating, it is REALLY good.

Prax

This game was wonderful.
I was one of the people who was just incredibly CHARMED by the graphics when I first read about it in Nintendo Power and knew I had to buy it.
I made the right choice. It was incredible. Ther is so much quirky heart in the game.

And I think it may have in a way spoiled me for other RPGs to this day.

Lucent

Dunno if it was mentioned, but if anyone was having trouble, you can always be revived after death and retain all your experience and stuff. Just deposit all your money in the ATM before running off to fight stuff. That way, you won't have any money taken from you when you are revived. At least this way you can gain progress.

Gonna probably buy this tomorrow even though I have the cartridge from yearrrrs ago. I still have the guide, too, but it's been pretty damaged over the years. No box any longer either. =( I just want to do my part to who them we really wanted this. Would love a release of Mother 3. I actually wish this was released on 3DS as well though as it'd be awesome to have one of the best RPGs ever on the go.

This game was wonderful.
I was one of the people who was just incredibly CHARMED by the graphics when I first read about it in Nintendo Power and knew I had to buy it.
I made the right choice. It was incredible. Ther is so much quirky heart in the game.

And I think it may have in a way spoiled me for other RPGs to this day.

Agreed on all points. Me and my brother bought this on a whim when it when the boxed sets were stacked on an end cap at Best Buy for $30. Amazing price for an SNES back in the day (Chrono Trigger and Mario RPG were like $80 each...). The way they made the sprites and the environments are very well done and keep the game from really ever aging for me. Just looks like a cartoon. I love the music and the humor, too. The story is great to me. Just four friends coming together on a great adventure across varied locales and so many odd characters. It was in a modern setting, which was very odd for an RPG. I want more games like this. I wish this became a more regular series that actually got localized here.

With the trees I suggest using the screen scroll trick (run from the enemies until they're offscreen a bit, then come back and hope they disappeared).

One thing that is annoying about this game is inventory management. My inventory is always full and I have to ditch some items that could have been useful in order to have more room.

D-e-f-

Banned
hahaha - shit yeah! don't fall over, little guy!

thanks Def! also i cant remember if i mentioned this, but i finally got to play through Terranigma about a month ago, fantastic game!

hells yea! virtual five! *slap*

That is the next game that Nintendo needs to throw onto the VC globally :) (bummer that Square is involved now ...ugh)

aceldama

Banned
One thing that is annoying about this game is inventory management. My inventory is always full and I have to ditch some items that could have been useful in order to have more room.

Yeah, inventory management is a real pain in the ass, especially late in the game. A lot of this has to do with my conservative play style, of hating to ever discard an item, but I would end up with only 1 or 2 open spots for health items, because of all the items I felt were necessary to your character (between weapons, clothing, charms, etc.). By far the most frustrating part of the game.

Stoze

Yeah it can be, but don't be afraid to use damaging items like bottle rockets and health and pp up items, it'll help narrow down your inventory. Problem in this game is that you can get in the habit of backtracking to farm butterfly spawns to give you free pp and in turn free hp when it really isn't necessary, don't be afraid to waste items instead.

Top Bottom