• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EarthBound |OT| Look at the sun. Face the sun and smile.

Yeah it can be, but don't be afraid to use damaging items like bottle rockets and health and pp up items, it'll help narrow down your inventory. Problem in this game is that you can get in the habit of backtracking to farm butterfly spawns to give you free pp and in turn free hp when it really isn't necessary, don't be afraid to waste items instead.

It's a hard habit to break...

Qurupeke

On Threed:
You play as Jeff now! Heh. It was really shocking when I went to the hotel to heal after exploring the graveyard and zombies got to me.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I entered those caves near Onett a boy, but came out a man.

Great place to level up.

I read about this game on a magazine, in Italy, in between 1994 and 1995. I fell in love with the preview and really wanted it. In the end, I managed to convince my parents to buy it for Christmas in 1995, spending a little fortune at the time.
It was the version with the guide, the smelly postcard and everything.

I played it for months, enjoying every minute of it. No other game got me hooked like that, maybe only FF7 and Diablo.

Great game, I miss that sense of amazement coming from the simple yet genius mechanic the game had, like ordering pizza and getting an allowance.

I remember it fondly, one of the greatets and most ambitious projects of all time.

Davey Cakes

Beat Frank at level 5. I dunno why people think you have to grind to level 8...
You don't have to. For new players it's just a guarantee of a one-shot situation.

When I first played the game I got to Level 8 just because I feared being beaten. I was a little more sensitive back then, as I was only 8-years-old.

Of course, when PK Rockin' obliterated Frank, I was surprised. "That wasn't so bad!"

Other than just making that boss easier, grinding to Level 8 for Frank also sets you up to be better equipped for the rest of Onett. You won't just have an easier time with Frank, but the rest of the enemies and bosses as well.

On Threed:
You play as Jeff now! Heh. It was really shocking when I went to the hotel to heal after exploring the graveyard and zombies got to me.
That's one of my favorite parts of the game. It's just kind of awesomely creepy.

Being led by the mysterious lady, going into the hotel, hearing that the music is different.

Good stuff.

Qurupeke

this game is creepy sometimes...
Sometimes? I think it's very dark, even though it seems kiddie and "happy". For example:
After Twoson:
Happy Happy village is a super creepy place. A seemingly normal village... That a man controlled by a statue of a devil controls everyone and there are many cultists. Moreover, they even kidnap a little girl.

kinggroin

Banned
Defeated Barf Bag McVomit.

Love the Threed theme song. Ultra creepy and reminds me of 90s Sierra point and click games for some reason.

cacildo

i needed a new game for the weekend. It was this or asssassins creed 3 for 40$

but this game was too expensive for a snes game!!

but i got it anyway. This game is great. Damn you nintendo for makin me and a lot of people spend 10$ on a snes rom and feel great about it.

Ondore

I think I'm actually over-leveled - I've never had Ness hit L30 before Dusty Dunes Desert before.

I'd like to thank those Struttin' Evil Mushrooms in Milky Well for forcing me to backtrack like six times before I just started abusing restore points.

Davey Cakes

but i got it anyway. This game is great. Damn you nintendo for makin me and a lot of people spend 10$ on a snes rom and feel great about it.
The game will last you way more than a weekend, at least. It's 20-30 hours if you go for absolute full enjoyment.

People overblow the "$10 rom" thing. Just because EB on the Wii U is a 35mb download of an 18-year-old game doesn't mean that it lacks value. The work was still put into it way back then (especially considering the flop), and Nintendo still put effort into getting the Player's Guide up online for free. It's a good value considering the quality of the game and the pricier alternatives.

Be glad you did this. You could have spend 40,- on an Assassins Creed "Rom" instead.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Yeah I'm struggling to slow down and make this gem last.

I really hope this game does well and convinces Nintendo to really dig deep into their catalog.

Yanksfan

Oh my god what is the point of the run feature honestly

It is useless. I never use it.

Thanks. Beating those motherfuckers' asses now.

Good to hear man.

Going to the newest shops and getting the best available equipment should always outprioritize going around and fighting enemies, the other way around just ends up making things unnecessarily harder for yourself.

This is the truth. Always do this in a new area.

First time player and loving this game. The combat system is my only issue with the game, thus far.

Love the game, but yeah the combat hasn't aged very well, it gets better later as you get more HP/party membets though. Still, compared to Mother 3's more fluid and clever battle system, its just not as good..

Weird, must be my nostalgia goggles, but I still have no problem with EB's combat system. I enjoy it actually, still to this day.

D-e-f-

Banned
Yeah I'm struggling to slow down and make this gem last.

I really hope this game does well and convinces Nintendo to really dig deep into their catalog.

I would love it if they did some "premium" VC games in the form of newly localized "imports" with stuff like Marvelous (Aonuma's directing debut) for example. Will never happen of course.

Qurupeke

Super Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger, FF VI and of course this. No wonder the SNES is considered to have the best RPGs.

Btw, the Cave Boys are a real pain!

Yanksfan

This game is a bargain at 10 bucks. Well worth full asking 18 years ago and well worth a $10 premium now.

terrisus

This game changed my life, I'm glad a lot of you will finally play this masterpiece.

2nd-favorite game ever (behind only Chrono Trigger), and still have the SNES version and guide (and bought the Japanese version on GBA when it came out too).

Hope everyone enjoys it. An absolutely amaing game.

Yanksfan

Finally got some time to play. Got up to Frank and his boy toys and sent them packing with no problem. I never really paid attention to my level when I do this, but since there has been a lot of conversation on it, I was Level 6 and had no issues whatsoever. Just bash and PSI heal. Didn't even need to use any items.

2nd-favorite game ever (behind only Chrono Trigger), and still have the SNES version and guide (and bought the Japanese version on GBA when it came out too).

Hope everyone enjoys it. An absolutely amaing game.

I still can never fully decide between those two, FFVI and FFIV.

Emitan

Level her up first on the first mole in that cave right of Happy Happy. Just keep going in and out, get her to about 10. It will help a lot, Paula is really weak at first.

I just ran through that cave YOLO style and she somehow survived. Thank you based teddie bear.

Also Threed has lovely music.

Tiktaalik

Beat Frank at level 5. I dunno why people think you have to grind to level 8...

Soooo after I performed this feat and breezed through Giant Step I died 4 times in a row when fighting
the police

Ok Onett is still a tough part of the game.

*eats crow*

Tiktaalik

One thing that is annoying about this game is inventory management. My inventory is always full and I have to ditch some items that could have been useful in order to have more room.

Yeah this is probably the biggest flaw of the game. I like the idea of a constrained inventory, but it's just a bit too small, and at a few points in the game it's really painful to constantly shuffle things around.

PKrockin

^ Go to Giant Step and wipe out 4+ Attack Slugs with one PSI Rockin to gain another level or two.

I'd say parts of Onett and Peaceful Rest Valley are in the top three toughest points of the game.

Tiktaalik

On the topic of the inventory: Use your health items!

I feel like the game is paced such that it expects you to regularly use health items that you find around. If you grew up playing Final Fantasy games with infinite inventory and you're "saving stuff" for later expect to not be able to save health items you find due to already having health items. Don't use your PP on restoring your health. Use items you find.

Qurupeke

This is where I am. Keep catching a cold (from a UFO of all places) and can't cure myself before I die. What is the best plan of attack (besides get the cold remedy)?
Actually, you don't need a cold remedy. I used the PSI healing more.

So, every character is more than 30 level now. I'm on Saturns' town.

Yanksfan

On the topic of the inventory: Use your health items!

I feel like the game is paced such that it expects you to regularly use health items that you find around. If you grew up playing Final Fantasy games with infinite inventory and you're "saving stuff" for later expect to not be able to save health items you find due to already having health items. Don't use your PP on restoring your health. Use items you find.

Actually, you don't need a cold remedy. I used the PSI healing more.

So, every character is more than 30 level now. I'm on Saturns' town.

Good advice on both. And holy shit Qurupeke, how many hours have you put in the last few days? :D

Eat your food! The inventory is really not bad at all as long as you do this and remember to store away the story-related key items after you've finished using them.

Qurupeke

damn I forgot how over powered big bottle rockets are
just killed Belch with one and a freeze B
Hmm, about this battle...

At first, he beat me after many nauseous turns. Did he somehow recovered hp? On my second turn I easily beat him though on my second turn. What I did? ._.

Good advice on both. And holy shit Qurupeke, how many hours have you put in the last few days? :D

Haha, a lot surely. I'm really hooked on it. :p

Oh btw, I just realized I had skipped a sanctuary... Lilliput steps is a sanctuary, right? :/ I need to go back now...

Lucent

Just wanted people to know that someone on Kotaku complained about the $10 price point being too high and actually said something about iTunes doing it right with 99cent songs. I wanted to slap that person. =l

Amalthea

Banned
Just wanted people to know that someone on Kotaku complained about the $10 price point being too high and actually said something about iTunes doing it right with 99cent songs. I wanted to slap that person. =l

I was honestly expecting them to do a "Is Nintendo harming the business of poor, innocent Ebay scalpers by releasing Earthbound digitally?"-piece instead.

Eusis

... While ignoring that to buy an ALBUM (which is a more appropriate comparison for a whole game, at least one like this rather than, say, Donkey Kong) is usually around $10, frequently higher. That is the single stupidest example I've ever seen for why digital games are overpriced.

EDIT: Ok, I think I found the comment and that was actually more about 99 cent songs made it impractical to pirate versus just buying, and Nintendo probably does need to be way more flexible with gaming prices... but Earthbound's one of those that I think can actually get away with $10, whereas $8 can be way too much for some SNES games, and similar for $5 for NES games (SMB1-3 are a good value at $5 or even $6, but Donkey Kong and Mario Bros, along with a lot of those other very early NES games, probably SHOULD be $1-3.)

Oh btw, I just realized I had skipped a sanctuary... Lilliput steps is a sanctuary, right? :/ I need to go back now...

Many of them are skippable, and can be done in whatever order you want. I'd recommend waiting a bit before going back, as you will find something that will make backtracking a bit easier...

atbigelow

For years, I've told my brother he needs to play this game. Unfortunately it was expensive to acquire it legally and I lost my cart+guide years ago during a move.

While I do not agree with Nintendo's digital policies, I couldn't resist giving my brother a legitimate opportunity to play the game in a similar way as I did as a kid. Instead of cozying up with a paper travel guide and a buzzing CRT, he gets to play it in a recliner on the Wuu gamepad and the PDF guide on his iPad.

He's enjoying it so far and has just arrived in Happy Happy Valley. More people need to enjoy this game and I am glad there are so many here experiencing it for the first time. Take your time with it.

Thanks, Nintendo.

Lucent

... While ignoring that to buy an ALBUM (which is a more appropriate comparison for a whole game, at least one like this rather than, say, Donkey Kong) is usually around $10, frequently higher. That is the single stupidest example I've ever seen for why digital games are overpriced.

EDIT: Ok, I think I found the comment and that was actually more about 99 cent songs made it impractical to pirate versus just buying, and Nintendo probably does need to be way more flexible with gaming prices... but Earthbound's one of those that I think can actually get away with $10, whereas $8 can be way too much for some SNES games, and similar for $5 for NES games (SMB1-3 are a good value at $5 or even $6, but Donkey Kong and Mario Bros, along with a lot of those other very early NES games, probably SHOULD be $1-3.)

Yeah. I know it's an old game, but honestly I'd rather buy this than a lot of the games that are out now. I wouldn't argue though if they made digital titles much cheaper. And you would think they can do it since they were doing those 30 cent games on Wii U.

Yanksfan

Hmm, about this battle...

At first, he beat me after many nauseous turns. Did he somehow recovered hp? On my second turn I easily beat him though on my second turn. What I did? ._.

Haha, a lot surely. I'm really hooked on it. :p

Awesome, good to have another EB/Mother fan in the fold.

Yeah. I know it's an old game, but honestly I'd rather buy this than a lot of the games that are out now. I wouldn't argue though if they made digital titles much cheaper. And you would think they can do it since they were doing those 30 cent games on Wii U.

Absolutely. I would buy this game over anything out on the market right now.

Playing this for the first time since I played some of it at a friend's house as a child. Loved it then, excited as hell about it now.

Let's do this.

Top Bottom