• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EarthBound |OT| Look at the sun. Face the sun and smile.

iirate

This game was wonderful.
I was one of the people who was just incredibly CHARMED by the graphics when I first read about it in Nintendo Power and knew I had to buy it.
I made the right choice. It was incredible. Ther is so much quirky heart in the game.

And I think it may have in a way spoiled me for other RPGs to this day.

The boss got my interest(back in the day when I would rent based on boxes!) and I took it home for a week. Fell in love, but didn't get super far. Years later(early 2000s), I traded my copy of Chrono Trigger for a used copy, and it quickly became one of my all time favorites.

Yeah this is probably the biggest flaw of the game. I like the idea of a constrained inventory, but it's just a bit too small, and at a few points in the game it's really painful to constantly shuffle things around.

I sorta love it, but I'm one of those weirdos that thinks organizing stuff and working in highly constrained environments is fun.

llehuty

Just got Paula
At first I was a bit WTF with her stats (30HP? really?) but leveling 3 levels/battle was quite satisfying, hehe. I came back to Twoson and seems like nobody cares about those east caves... *shrug*, I'm going there next anyway :D

I'm loving every piece of dialogue, and always loved 4th wall breaking moments in classic RPGs. Actually, playing this game makes me realise how many old school RPG things I like are missing from recent releases. The exact description of what happens when leveling up is also one of those things. I'm tired of this games where you don't have any sense of progression and have to go inside menus to notice changes and end up only being able to say "Welp, this number over here went higher"

Also the game has so much personality and is so refreshing playing a game which doesn't take itself seriously. Maybe this changes later on, but I'd be totally OK with this game not being epic.

I hope all this positive reaction on miiverse and the number of sales is noticed by nintendo and makes them take advantage of the huge amount of NES/SNES top quality
and maybe not so popular
games. I'm totally ready for double dipping with Lufia 2, Secret of Evermore, Terranigma, Ilusion of Time/Gaia,...

Lucent

Just got Paula
At first I was a bit WTF with her stats (30HP? really?) but leveling 3 levels/battle was quite satisfying, hehe. I came back to Twoson and seems like nobody cares about those east caves... *shrug*, I'm going there next anyway :D

I'm loving every piece of dialogue, and always loved 4th wall breaking moments in classic RPGs. Actually, playing this game makes me realise how many old school RPG things I like are missing from recent releases. The exact description of what happens when leveling up is also one of those things. I'm tired of this games where you don't have any sense of progression and have to go inside menus to notice changes and end up only being able to say "Welp, this number over here went higher"

Also the game has so much personality and is so refreshing playing a game which doesn't take itself seriously. Maybe this changes later on, but I'd be totally OK with this game not being epic.

I hope all this positive reaction on miiverse and the number of sales is noticed by nintendo and makes them take advantage of the huge amount of NES/SNES top quality
and maybe not so popular
games. I'm totally ready for double dipping with Lufia 2, Secret of Evermore, Terranigma, Ilusion of Time/Gaia,...

This is something I REALLY miss and rarely see in RPGs. This game and Lunar series I wanted to talk to every NPC to see what they said. Playing Ni no Kuni, I stopped talking to people after awhile. I know not every RPG is meant to be funny, but it's kinda boring when you talk to some random NPC and all they say is something like "That boy...he sucks." Okay I actually would've liked that..I can't think of a specific example. lol

moolamb

This is something I REALLY miss and rarely see in RPGs. This game and Lunar series I wanted to talk to every NPC to see what they said. Playing Ni no Kuni, I stopped talking to people after awhile. I know not every RPG is meant to be funny, but it's kinda boring when you talk to some random NPC and all they say is something like "That boy...he sucks." Okay I actually would've liked that..I can't think of a specific example. lol

My favourite is the rat that says 'I'm a rat!'.

jnWake

Earthbound's quirky humor is one of its best features. The
pencil statue
and how you get rid of it is hilarious, it's one of those things that only Earthbound does.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Earthbound's quirky humor is one of its best features. The
pencil statue
and how you get rid of it is hilarious, it's one of those things that only Earthbound does.

I love how it builds even on that with the
eraser eraser. How does such an item exist?!

Midou

Playing for the first time now too, I played it a bit as a kid, for some reason the art style put me off then but I love it so much now. I just got the
pencil eraser
and I'm ready to go through that obstacle now.

I am surprised how quickly I got into the game, plenty of older RPGs are usually slow to get into for one reason or another but the way this game flows, plays and looks has aged beautifully. I also love how you can end some encounters without actually fighting, plenty of other JRPGs could have really benefited from getting rid of scrub encounters like that as long load times for battles in modern games make them so tedious (sometimes just taking actions takes too long in some games for scrub battles, like radiant historia and managing enemy locations).

I love stuff like the random lines in battle of strange enemy behaviour (like the hippies).

Lucent

Playing for the first time now too, I played it a bit as a kid, for some reason the art style put me off then but I love it so much now. I just got the
pencil eraser
and I'm ready to go through that obstacle now.

I am surprised how quickly I got into the game, plenty of older RPGs are usually slow to get into for one reason or another but the way this game flows, plays and looks has aged beautifully. I also love how you can end some encounters without actually fighting, plenty of other JRPGs could have really benefited from getting rid of scrub encounters like that as long load times for battles in modern games make them so tedious (sometimes just taking actions takes too long in some games for scrub battles, like radiant historia and managing enemy locations).

I love stuff like the random lines in battle of strange enemy behaviour (like the hippies).

YOU WON!

You found a present.

It's a cookie!

Pachinko

I finished off the first chunk earlier, the giant step in Onnet.

When I was much younger and I recall renting it only once and I wasn't big on it. Not to say I didn't give it a fair shake, it's just Earth Bound had this fantastic marketing campaign with scratch and sniff magazine ads where you could smell all the bosses. As a 12 year old boy I found this hilarious and appealing, also the plasticine look of all the promo art was pretty amazing.

According to wikipedia, Earthbound made it out in June of 1995. I'm honestly not sure if I rented it right away or if I waited a bit but I wasn't big into RPGs at that point. In theory , I enjoyed everything about them ... just the act of actually playing them did nothing for me. Chrono Trigger , which came out just a couple months later that same year was the first one that hooked me into it's graphics and story and even - for the first time - gameplay.

So I think back on my experience of playing Earthbound IN 1995 and I just recall being frustrated with the difficulty level because the little bit of RPGs I did play at that point usually resulted in me running away from every single fight and dying lots.

Either way, that bit of my sad old history is behind me now and I really enjoy what I've played of this so far. I'm actually not even sure I beat the Titanic Ant boss during my original attempt at this game because of the aforementioned running away from all the fights but this time I intend to keep going. Due to the nature of renting games there were always save files much further along then I could ever get so I saw bits of the next area and some stuff in the middle of the game but just never got around to playing it through until now.

I'm glad nintendo released it for wii U though, it's given me a reason to turn on the system again.

Davey Cakes

One of Earthbound's best qualities is that it's rather peppy with its battle system. If you're strong enough, you can beat an enemy without even going into the battle screen. That aside, the actual battles themselves are rather quick and not overly flashy except for with PSI animations. It's kind of a basic system overall which may be a turn off for folks, but it helps the game not get dragged down by its combat in terms the time dedicated to enemy encounters.

The battle pace is probably the fastest I know of in a Nintendo RPG. Closest thing might be Pokemon.

iirate

One of Earthbound's best qualities is that it's rather peppy with its battle system. If you're strong enough, you can beat an enemy without even going into the battle screen. That aside, the actual battles themselves are rather quick and not overly flashy except for PSI animations. It's kind of a basic system which may be a turn off for folks, but it helps the game not get dragged down by its combat.

The battle pace is probably the fastest I know of in a Nintendo RPG. Closest thing might be Pokemon.

Another thing I love is how... emotive it all is. The language used really puts you in the battle in a way that many games don't attempt to. In fact, the behavior of enemies during combat in many ways mirrors the way NPCs move and behave outside of combat. It's all really organic feeling.

Eusis

It'd be nice if they could at least give meaningful tidbits on the story, but only MegaTen nailed ythat and I think that has a lot to do with how messed up things can be in the bigger picture and how in some ways your characters sometimes ARE the most ignorant.

Though I do seem to appreciate EarthBound's oddness more and more over time.

joesiv

Man, everytime I read about EB, I still feel shameful that I never picked it up back in the day, and that I've never played it yet. I still remember seeing the big box behind the store shelf at my local game shop, and thinking I should play it. I was big into FF and DQ, and read everything I could about it in the mags back in the day, even kinda liked the smelly scratch and sniff ads.

I gotta play it... This might push me to get a Wii U... seems so charming.

My birthday is in a couple weeks, maybe my wife will surprise me with a Wii U :)

*edit*... hmm, wouldn't that be strange if this near 20 year old game ended up pushing Wii U sales... ha ha... Maybe Nintendo would be encouraged to release Mother 3 with an english translation.

D-e-f-

Banned
*edit*... hmm, wouldn't that be strange if this near 20 year old game ended up pushing Wii U sales... ha ha... Maybe Nintendo would be encouraged to release Mother 3 with an english translation.

It will certainly be a big plus among the other first party games coming up!

Qurupeke

zlCfzRDxcMcUlRinPJ

lol This game keeps delivering! xD

Reached Saturn Valley when I stopped playing this after...morn? About 11 hours 40 minutes played. Ness is level 25 or so. Paula and Jeff are late teens.

In terms of gameplay, there's not a lot to say about Earthbound. Having played the Zenithia trilogy of Dragon Quest it's pretty easy to see where this game was coming from and where it's taking its influences from as a parody. The dad, for example, plays exactly like DQ churches. Things like the "auto kill" encounters against weaker enemies and (to a lesser extent) the rolling health bar are great additions though.

The real draw of Earthbound is its melding of styles. It has this real cute innocence about it, yet things like the psychadelic battle backgrounds, the Psi effects, certain musical cues and specific areas give it this real surreal, off-kilter bent. It's simultaneously cute and unsettling but not in a way that provides some kind tonal clash. Instead it's compelling and makes you want to keep going. Not to mention the clever, funny script.

Joqu

Should I be buying the latest equipment each time I come across some or will it be a waste of money?

hahaha - shit yeah! don't fall over, little guy!

thanks Def! also i cant remember if i mentioned this, but i finally got to play through Terranigma about a month ago, fantastic game!

Finally! I thought I was going to be all alone with the Mr. Saturn thing.

SteelYoshi

Neo Member
Playing the game, runs into super starman.
"He looks way strong, I better take him out quickly"
(Launches 2 PK Freeze Beta's from paula and poo)

"Shit"

Qurupeke

Have there been any noteworthy Super Metroid tier posts on Miiverse from kids playing this?
I don't think that many kids will play this. It's not 30 cents like SM.

Oh shit...I'm on the Fourside dept store...

They took Paula, after I had all the Picnic launches I bought on her... :'(

Qurupeke

Oh shit...I'm on the Fourside dept store...

One of the most intense battles on the game followed this. I had only 12HP and only Ness was conscious in the end. No PP. If I hadn't landed 3 Smaaash hits I'd be dead and I hadn't save the game for a long time.

Yanksfan

One of the most intense battles on the game followed this. I had only 12HP and only Ness was conscious in the end. No PP. If I hadn't landed 3 Smaaash hits I'd be dead and I hadn't save the game for a long time.

Ha, that is awesome. In a game like this, you will always remember the moments like this where you miraculously escaped the jaws of death. That is why I recommend no one using the save state and just rely on the in game save system like we did in the SNES days. Makes it more tense and memorable.

PKrockin

Should I be buying the latest equipment each time I come across some or will it be a waste of money?

Most items you find will be valuable stuff that you can't buy. It's pretty rare to find armor or a weapon that's sold in stores.

Have there been any noteworthy Super Metroid tier posts on Miiverse from kids playing this?

Just one who was posting that joke on every other Miiverse community. how does earthbound exit house?

Battles aside, so far it just seems to be the obstacle in Peaceful Rest Valley and first entering Threed that are giving people trouble. I remember being stuck there for a little while when I first played.

I don't think that many kids will play this. It's not 30 cents like SM.[/spoiler]

lol, judging by the Miiverse posts there are definitely some kids playing this. FUZZY PICKALS!!!

Hey guys! Just out of curiosity, has anyone noticed dialogue or any changes from the SNES version?

A couple of inconsequential lines might have been changed for some unknown reason. That's all, I think.

skypunch

Banned
I don't have my Wii U yet, so I grabbed a rom and I'm now playing it on an emulator and really enjoying it so far.

Where are you guys up to?
I've just left Saturn Valley and now about to enter through the waterfall to fight Belch.
Also, I'm level 32.

Andrew.

Banned
I missed out on this game growing up even though I remember the scratch n sniff ads and my friend loving the hell out of it.

Also, the "I just farted, sorry." line always cracked me up. I think the scene was shown either in an old EGM or Nintendo Power.

Really wish this was coming out for the regular Wii VC.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I missed out on this game growing up even though I remember the scratch n sniff ads and my friend loving the hell out of it.

Also, the "I just farted, sorry." line always cracked me up. I think the scene was shown either in an old EGM or Nintendo Power.

Really wish this was coming out for the regular Wii VC.
I just got to the part with this line in the concert :)

6 hours in already: it feels surrealist to play this game right after TLoU and feel just as addicted.

I got to the giant pencil...and then...stopped.

The fuck.
That's when I asked miiverse for help.

Qurupeke

I think I'm on the second half of the game.

I stopped playing in Scarabe town, right before I leave for the desert(and not dessert :p). Poo's addition was somewhat late and I had to grind to have power him up. He was like 40 levels weaker than Ness. Now, he's early 40s, while everyone else is mid 50s and Ness early 60s.

Until now I love everything in the game... I don't know why but I haven't been bored even a bit, even whike grinding. Usually during this part of games that require exploring like Zelda, I try to advance more because I get sick of the same environment. On EarthBound this hasn't happen. Even the battles are awesome for their little details.

In probably 1 or 2 days I'll finish it so I'll try to write more complete impressions. But the sure thing is that the series has a new fan. :) After this, I'd really like to play Mother 1 or 3 but I'm not really fond of ROMs, even for titles like those, that probably won't come to the West.

I think I'm on the second half of the game.

I stopped playing in Scarabe town, right before I leave for the desert(and not dessert :p). Poo's addition was somewhat late and I had to grind to have power him up. He was like 40 levels weaker than Ness. Now, he's early 40s, while everyone else is mid 50s and Ness early 60s.

Until now I love everything in the game... I don't know why but I haven't been bored even a bit, even whike grinding. Usually during this part of games that require exploring like Zelda, I try to advance more because I get sick of the same environment. On EarthBound this hasn't happen. Even the battles are awesome for their little details.

Yep, you're in the second half, approaching the last third if you're not there already. The only frustrating/annoying part for me is the
monkey caves
so if even that didn't slow you down then I think it's safe to say you're only gonna like this game more and more as you get to the end.

After this, I'd really like to play Mother 1 or 3 but I'm not really fond of ROMs, even for titles like those, that probably won't come to the West.

You're playing a ROM right now and loving it =P

Bah, made it to the final boss, but
gave up during the third form. I kept going and going, but the enemy never ran out of HP and eventually I just thought that there must be some trick to the fight, and tried using every item and option I had. Looks like I should just have continued bashing away.

I'll continue tomorrow, don't feel like playing the final bit again today.

gave up during the third form. I kept going and going, but the enemy never ran out of HP and eventually I just thought that there must be some trick to the fight, and tried using every item and option I had. Looks like I should just have continued bashing away.

I don't think you tried every option...

Minyobi

HINT:
God is watching you.

Non-story-related Final Boss Spoilers below.

Vague hint:
You were on the right track when you were using every option you had.

Vague hint:
Normal tactics won't truly hurt Giygas.

Light (fight mechanics) spoiler, Hint:
Giygas has infinite HP, you DO need to do something special to defeat it.

Blatant hint:
What's something that only Paula can do? Do that, repeatedly.

Edit: beaten, over the head, many times over. :(

By the way, I did the Sanctuaries in this order by accident:
1->2->3->4->7->8->5->6

5 and 6 were pretty easy when done in this order, but needles to say, 7 was pretty hard...

Peagles

I actually recently got a SNES copy off an awesome fellow gaffer, so I've been playing through slowly but surely.

Just got to
Moonside
and what the hell this place is so messed up! Do I have to spend very long here? I feel like I'm tripping really bad.

So glad I found those
little green wriggly dudes in the desert
, so I'm pretty decently leveled, I think... Ness is nearly 50 and Jeff isn't too far behind.

Also does anyone know what happens when
the gas pump enemies count down to 0
? I've managed to avoid it so far but it's freaking me the hell out!

They
hit you with a Bomb item. It's damaging, but not as bad as the exploding trees in Peaceful Rest Valley

Qurupeke

I actually recently got a SNES copy off an awesome fellow gaffer, so I've been playing through slowly but surely.

Just got to
Moonside
and what the hell this place is so messed up! Do I have to spend very long here? I feel like I'm tripping really bad.

So glad I found those
little green wriggly dudes in the desert
, so I'm pretty decently leveled, I think... Ness is nearly 50 and Jeff isn't too far behind.

This place was really weird. Probably the epitome of weirdness.

The black background with the neon lights, the totally weird enemies like the dali clocks and abstract art, the way everyone speaks... If you hadn't visit the Moonside museum, visit it now! One of people there said something really crepped me out. xD I really liked this place though. About the pumps, I don't think they do something. One of them managed to count until 1 but after this it made a ticking noise and stopped... This was also creepy. lol

Kandinsky

After Off-TV playing this amazing game, I just can't wait for more and more VC titles, I have a hard time breathing thinking about some SNES, N64 and specially GC games running on the gamepad, godammit Nintendo, take my money and fking do it already, sometimes I don't get this company.

/rant.

Top Bottom