• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EarthBound |OT| Look at the sun. Face the sun and smile.

jacket320

Not re-playing the game with you as I don't own a wii-u but it's pretty funny reading the thread and imagining playing through the game. Glad to see everyone is enjoying it! :p

louRR8c.jpg

image.php

Wonderful

EVIL

I am not that far in, but holyshit,
those snails and termite things are kicking my ass :eek:

I mean, I beat up a gang boss, and his robot thing, but get my ass handed to me by a bunch of snails lol.

Peagles

They
hit you with a Bomb item. It's damaging, but not as bad as the exploding trees in Peaceful Rest Valley

Oh that isn't too bad. I think the build up is what really gets me!

This place was really weird. Probably the epitome of weirdness.

The black background with the neon lights, the totally weird enemies like the dali clocks and abstract art, the way everyone speaks... If you hadn't visit the Moonside museum, visit it now! One of people there said something really crepped me out. xD I really liked this place though. About the pumps, I don't think they do something. One of them managed to count until 1 but after this it made a ticking noise and stopped... This was also creepy. lol

I visited it. I think I know the guy you mean. Something about bones, *shudder*...

Man, I'm liking Earthbound but c'mon man! I don't want my attacks to miss all the time. Even when using the bat it seems like I only hit 75% of the time. It gets better later when you get
Paula
, but man it sucks until then.

It's almost as bad as pokemon.

amnesiac

Nintendo, account system please. I need to play Earthbound on my 3DS. /portbeg

Anyway, maybe I shouldn't have sold the game off years ago.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
When do these update? Could take until Thursday maybe.
At least daily. I've been tracking EarthBound's progress through the all-time best seller chart. It was #14 on Saturday, #13 yesterday, and #11 today (in North America).

On the recent best seller chart, though, it's been #2 behind Donkey Kong for all of those days.

chrono01

I'm not going to be playing this one for a bit [since I've already done so before and I have a massive backlog], but I purchased it today to show my support.

This game is a classic, I love it so much.

L Thammy

Finally got the chance to start on this last night. I beat Frank at level 5. Went overboard with Miiverse, too.

zlCfzRDweY0RV4LcEK

Off-screen play is great, by the way. Never thought I'd bother with it.

This thread made me hook my SNES back up and start a new playthrough.

This, Chrono Trigger, and FF VI are the perfect trifecta of RPGs. Hard to believe they were all released on the same system.

DJ88

Well, got to the second sanctuary and currently in Threed. Loving the hell out of this game so far. I have one question though.

Since I got Paula on my team I haven't gotten any more instant wins without going into the battle screen. I was strong enough to be beating them in one smash, but it still kept going to the battle screen. Before I went to Threed I went back up towards Onett and even the weakest enemies that I was instant killing before we're chasing me and going into a battle screen. What the hell happened?

chrono01

Well, got to the second sanctuary and currently in Threed. Loving the hell out of this game so far. I have one question though.

Since I got Paula on my team I haven't gotten any more instant wins without going into the battle screen. I was strong enough to be beating them in one smash, but it still kept going to the battle screen. Before I went to Threed I went back up towards Onett and even the weakest enemies that I was instant killing before we're chasing me and going into a battle screen. What the hell happened?
It's been a while since I've last played it, so forgive me. I believe the enemies scale to your level, at least up to a certain point in the game. That's why enemies in lower areas have a tendency to increase in level after specific plot-points.

Or maybe it has to do with the overall level/percentage of your group, and since Paula joined that number went down? Is her level much different than your other party members?

I'm pretty sure on the enemies scaling part, though, but as I said it's been several years since I last played, so I'm mainly going by memory.

Ondore

I'm in Stonehenge, and I managed to do something tonight I haven't gotten since I played the game in 1995.

SWORD OF KINGS, MOTHERF**KERS!!

Also, I learned tonight that Starman Supers, who you have to farm for a 1/128, also carry Super Bombs. This was the first time I ever managed to get one of those as well.

I would go for the broken item that leads to Jeff's ultimate weapon, but that involves exploding enemies and I don't have myself that much.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
This game is way more difficult than I thought it would be. I forgot when games actively punished you for not preparing yourself. Out of hamburgers? You're gonna die!

massoluk

Banned
Attack missed, Attack missed, Attack missed, Attack missed, Oh god Critcal hit, omg give me a chance to heal, oh jesus fuck, no more hamburger.

jnWake

I'm in Stonehenge, and I managed to do something tonight I haven't gotten since I played the game in 1995.

SWORD OF KINGS, MOTHERF**KERS!!

Also, I learned tonight that Starman Supers, who you have to farm for a 1/128, also carry Super Bombs. This was the first time I ever managed to get one of those as well.

I would go for the broken item that leads to Jeff's ultimate weapon, but that involves exploding enemies and I don't have myself that much.

Those 1/128 items are evil. On my first playthrough I got a Sword of Kings but I had no idea it was rare!

Aku-Audi

I haven't played this game since the mid 90's, so I sat down today transporting myself back to being a kid and playing this game. It's every bit as good as I recall, and being older I appreciate the whole atmosphere on a deeper emotional level.

jnaETMQ.jpg

It's been a while since I've last played it, so forgive me. I believe the enemies scale to your level, at least up to a certain point in the game. That's why enemies in lower areas have a tendency to increase in level after specific plot-points.

Or maybe it has to do with the overall level/percentage of your group, and since Paula joined that number went down? Is her level much different than your other party members?

I'm pretty sure on the enemies scaling part, though, but as I said it's been several years since I last played, so I'm mainly going by memory.

The enemies don't scale with you at all. It might be that the enemy got him from behind (red swirl) since that will always lead to a battle no matter how high you're leveled. But if that's not the case I'm not sure. I don't know exactly how the auto-wins are calculated for but I guess it's possible that the new addition of a very low-level member could shake things up, although I've never seen it happen personally.

DJ88

The enemies don't scale with you at all. It might be that the enemy got him from behind (red swirl) since that will always lead to a battle no matter how high you're leveled. But if that's not the case I'm not sure. I don't know exactly how the auto-wins are calculated for but I guess it's possible that the new addition of a very low-level member could shake things up, although I've never seen it happen personally.

Yeah it was really weird. I had Paula leveled up to about 8 or 9 and I'm close to level 20. Definitely walked right up to a single mushroom I would usually instant kill with no red swirl and still went into a battle screen. Kinda bumming me out cause I loved the instant wins when I found out they were in this game.

BasilZero

One of my most favorite RPGs on the SNES.

Really an amazing game! Totally recommend it for all RPG players especially those who love Dragon Quest/Warrior and Paladin's Quest.

jepense

Got Paula yesterday. I really like just about everything about the game except that battles with only Ness were boring. I guess it gets better with more members and options.

I've only had my Wii U for a couple of weeks and I really want to play Mario, but I find spending most of my gaming slot with EarthBound. I don't know what I'll do when Pikmin arrives in a couple of days...

chrono01

That's for the clarification. As I said it's been a while, so my memory is a bit hazy. >_<

Yeah it was really weird. I had Paula leveled up to about 8 or 9 and I'm close to level 20. Definitely walked right up to a single mushroom I would usually instant kill with no red swirl and still went into a battle screen. Kinda bumming me out cause I loved the instant wins when I found out they were in this game.
If Paula is only Level 8/9 then I would say that's definitely the issue. Maybe because the difference in levels is so vast it's preventing you from using higher-leveled character to power-level lower ones?

I guess we'll know for sure once she nears the same level as the rest of your party members.

DJ88

If Paula is only Level 8/9 then I would say that's definitely the issue. Maybe because the difference in levels is so vast it's preventing you from using higher-leveled character to power-level lower ones?

I guess we'll know for sure once she nears the same level as the rest of your party members.

Well I'm 23 now, Paula 17, but now Jeff is in at 10. Still in Threed so haven't had a chance to test it on lower level enemies, but we'll see.

Peagles

I'm sure it's this. The same thing happened in my play through but I just assumed it was because it works out if your team can beat it by a certain amount, and with Paula being weaker, your team is technically weaker even though it has more people. Maybe it takes an average of the team's levels? I don't know. I'd say it's definitely because of Paula though.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I can see why they included the guide with the game... It's fairly cryptic on exactly what to do next, at least thus far.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
This will be one of my first purchases when I get my Wii U.

I remember beating it a few years ago. I also beat Mother 3 when the fan translation came out. I bought the amazing fanmade Pork Army Survival Manual with hardcover and even got a neat Franklin Badge keyring. It keeps me from getting hit by lightning. At least is my observation. So it must be working.

Don't be bummed, that was very much the exception rather than the rule, like I said I've never seen that happen before and I've been through this game probably 10-15 times

EDIT: Yeah, it must be to discourage powerleveling. Having to protect a lvl 1 until they get leveled enough to be of real use is a pretty common scenario in this era of RPGs, if they let you power level like that it would be pretty pointless to start her at lvl 1.

I can see why they included the guide with the game... It's fairly cryptic on exactly what to do next, at least thus far.

Explore more, take a slow pace and enjoy yourself, if you look around and talk to people it's usually made pretty clear what to do next. This game is supposed to be a vacation, hence the design of the guide.

D-e-f-

Banned
After Off-TV playing this amazing game, I just can't wait for more and more VC titles, I have a hard time breathing thinking about some SNES, N64 and specially GC games running on the gamepad, godammit Nintendo, take my money and fking do it already, sometimes I don't get this company.

/rant.

GCN games are very likely never gonna happen because the system probably doesn't have enough juice for software emulation and hardware emulation would probably be locked up in Wii Mode which means it won't work since there are no controller ports or memory card slots and Wii Mode does not support virtual versions of either. Unless they manage to magically integrate Wii Mode into regular Wii U OS stuff, stop dreaming about GCN VC. :(

Best case (or only case) scenario is HD remakes.

I'm pumped for N64 VC though! I hope we finally get the Goemon games this time!

I haven't played this game since the mid 90's, so I sat down today transporting myself back to being a kid and playing this game. It's every bit as good as I recall, and being older I appreciate the whole atmosphere on a deeper emotional level.

jnaETMQ.jpg

So 90s'd out! Is that Boyz II Men video? :D

Nothing is perfect without Terranigma.

QUOTED FOR TRUTH!

US gamers don't know what they're missing ... too bad Square Enix doesn't give a crap about Enix games.

Peagles

GCN games are very likely never gonna happen because the system probably doesn't have enough juice for software emulation and hardware emulation would probably be locked up in Wii Mode which means it won't work since there are no controller ports or memory card slots and Wii Mode does not support virtual versions of either. Unless they manage to magically integrate Wii Mode into regular Wii U OS stuff, stop dreaming about GCN VC. :(

I thought the new homebrew stuff already has GCN running via Wii mode on Wii U?

Dereck

Best case (or only case) scenario is HD remakes.

I'm pumped for N64 VC though! I hope we finally get the Goemon games this time!

So 90s'd out! Is that Boyz II Men video? :D

QUOTED FOR TRUTH!

US gamers don't know what they're missing ... too bad Square Enix doesn't give a crap about Enix games.
What? Wii-U could emulate GC no problem.

Top Bottom