• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EarthBound |OT| Look at the sun. Face the sun and smile.

Aeana

What? Wii-U could emulate GC no problem.
It doesn't have to, because it can run GC games natively, thanks to being descended from the Wii (and thus Gamecube) hardware. This has already been proven by homebrew for Wii mode that runs Gamecube games.

D-e-f-

Banned
I thought the new homebrew stuff already has GCN running via Wii mode on Wii U?

Yes, and? That would be the hardware emulation/backwards compatibility bit which is ultimately useless since you have no control inputs our options to save the game as I mentioned.

What? Wii-U could emulate GC no problem.

Are you just saying that because Wii U is a new machine? I think the raw clockspeeds might be an issue here.

But let's not get too off-track as we're all just speculating.

It doesn't have to, because it can run GC games natively, thanks to being descended from the Wii (and thus Gamecube) hardware. This has already been proven by homebrew for Wii mode that runs Gamecube games.

It's such a shame that the Wii U can't read GC dics, and I feel like the main reason it doesn't is too save a few bucks by not including all these GC controllers and memory card slots :-(

Are you just saying that because Wii U is a new machine? I think the raw clockspeeds might be an issue here.

It could be a raw clockspeed issue it the architecture was different. But now the CPU is based on the same design and and the GPU can handle the Gamecube stuff without any problems, so emulating or recompiling the old Gamecube games to Wii U (in Wii U mode) shouldn't be much of a problem.

D-e-f-

Banned
It could be a raw clockspeed issue it the architecture was different. But now the CPU is based on the same design and and the GPU can handle the Gamecube stuff without any problems, so emulating or recompiling the old Gamecube games to Wii U (in Wii U mode) shouldn't be much of a problem.

It sure would be awesome. Off-TV is something I kinda want for every game even though I never have to share my TV. And especially older games look awesome on there.

Running GC games natively would be possible. The launcher for the game just has to start wiimode in the background without the user noticing it. The problem is the transition back since the Wii U would have to do a full restart - also no Wii U menus would be avaiable and of course no gamepad integration (maybe just the buttons but no streaming). Why? Because the Wii/GC mode is strictly sperated to prevent piracy.

Qurupeke

Damn you Casey bat...

It will be a good weapon I thought... It is too powerful I thought... It will help me a lot I thought... It will be helpful on Stonehedge I thought... 1/4 chance to hit is not bad I thought...

Silly question but is this presented in fullscreen of in a box display? I've yet to see or play a VC game on Wii U and I'm curious.

Silly question but is this presented in fullscreen of in a box display? I've yet to see or play a VC game on Wii U and I'm curious.

Full screen, but not stretched to fill widescreen display, so there are black bars on the sides.

Not very familiar with the Wii U... but you can play the VC games on the pad only ? That's pretty cool.

Yeah, the same image is displayed both on TV and the screen.

Katsuragi

I'm absolutely captivated by this game. It's so wonderfully weird and quirky. A lot of the dialogues and jokes are legitimately funny, too! At the moment I'm on my to
Fourside
. Can't wait so see what's next. :)

Midou

Just got Paula and I'm having a good bit of trouble keeping her alive, I just got to Threed but she is only like 5 levels (level 15) behind Ness and still dies in 2-3 hits. I can keep making her defend but then I might as well leave her dead. She has the best equipment I can buy in Threed. I know I still need to level her up a bunch, but her stat-ups seem like trash compared to Ness, even in her specialty stats, she is gaining PP faster but I assume IQ is PSI-damage, and she is not getting too much more of that.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I just read this in the OP:
certain reviews weren’t too stellar either, with common criticisms being the graphics and the game being too kiddie.
Would anyone of you have scans of reviews from that time?

At what time/how did the game reach its cult status?

dc89

I just read this in the OP: Would anyone of you have scans of reviews from that time?

At what time/how did the game reach its cult status?

Was Nintendo Power around at the time? We could always ask Phil Theobald if he can remember how they reviewed it.

Parallacs

I have a review from Game Players that gave it a 4.5/10

It said it was a boring rpg and would only appeal to kiddies. haha.

Chojin

Was Nintendo Power around at the time? We could always ask Phil Theobald if he can remember how they reviewed it.

Nintendo power really tried to push the game. Not only did the instruction manual come as a guide and creatd by them, they had multiple articles on the game not just one spotlight article and done.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I found this great new Wired article while looking for an answer on Google:
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/07/marcus-lindblom-earthbound/
It's an interview with Marcus Lindblom, who translated and re-wrote the game’s text from Japanese to English.

To many of the reviewers at the time, EarthBound‘s graphics looked like enhanced 8-bit graphics, and felt a bit too much like a throwback that the market wasn’t looking for yet. Ironically, the aesthetics seem to play very well today in this age of retro gaming. The cuteness, colors and hallucinatory bits are called out as favorites by lots of fans these days. But back at the time of release in 1995, this certainly wasn’t the case.
Retro graphics have aged so well, it's funny to read that today.

Fantastic read for fans.

Mzo

I've been looking but I can't find any solid info: has anything been changed at all for this VC release? Were any of the copyright excuses that websites created for Nintendo proven correct?

Qurupeke

zlCfzRD3hs0D6CsS2d

I was there for about 3 hours. Poo got 20 levels, while everyone else about 10. Ness is 83 now. Fml. Never again.

Chojin

I've been looking but I can't find any solid info: has anything been changed at all for this VC release? Were any of the copyright excuses that websites created for Nintendo proven correct?

As far as I can tell its the same exact game I played before. I haven't noticed any graphical or musical or audio changes at all.

All the same weird samples still are there.

dc89

Nintendo power really tried to push the game. Not only did the instruction manual come as a guide and creatd by them, they had multiple articles on the game not just one spotlight article and done.

Wow!!!

----

I think I just broke my game haha :p I saved using his dad on the phone, I take it I can't do that and should just stick to the Restore Points.

Chojin

Yeah there's multiple reasons why Earthbound didn't do so well. One of the biggest was the late release and not so much interest in JRPGs by the mass market. It's also a tough sell for some people who were at the time more interested in traditional sword and sorceries RPGs.

I have a friend who refuses to even acknowledge the game because he quote "Won't ever play a stupid game with a stupid kid who wears a backpack and baseball cap" which also extends to Pokemon.

Some people can't get off that "stigma".

Nintendo also had a really horrible marketing campaign for it. For some reason in the mid-90s NOA had really awful advertising, I guess to combat the "Sega Extreme" marketing they tried to go the "gross out" route, as evidenced by really shitty Nintendo Power ads with the Meatloaf or Toenail clippings and crap like that. Earthbound's magazine ad literaly had it say "This Game Stinks!" and put scratch and sniff with horrible smells. Like the game was Boogerman. They tried to sell it to the Beavis and Butthead crowd and its really not a game like that at all.

Then again, if they had marketed it as a Heartfelt trip that saved the world by the power of love and Nostalgia, I dunno how that would have sold. 90s was a weird time, gaming in the US was marketed towards action and honestly anectdotally selling Earthbound on my friends was a really tough sell in high school. I used to get really weird responses when people tried for me to explain the game, and then showing them they'd say "Thats It?" and dismiss it.

Lothar

Banned
I have a review from Game Players that gave it a 4.5/10

It said it was a boring rpg and would only appeal to kiddies. haha.

Gamepro was much the same.

"The lack of a convincing story line and the dull NES-clone graphics will make serious RPG fans a little cautious about Earthbound."

They rated the challenge level as Beginner!

Gamepro was always a laughably bad magazine though. I remember them giving Xenogears some insane low score that pissed off the entire internet gaming community at the time.

Dave Long

Banned
The thing is, magazines and what gamers were looking for weren't very different back then from what they are today. Games were supposed to have eye-popping technically sophisticated graphics and dark and gritty stories. They just weren't played in first-person like today's big dogs.

dc89

My play session was cut short. My GF's nephew is over and he wanted a go of Lego City. Kids these days can't appreciate the classics. Well, whatever.

D-e-f-

Banned
Wow!!!

----

I think I just broke my game haha :p I saved using his dad on the phone, I take it I can't do that and should just stick to the Restore Points.

oO? Of course you can. Hard saves work in any VC title. Restore points are an extra feature you can use on top of that. You have to use the "reset" feature in the VC menu to emulate turning the power off on the old console (or well, pushing the reset button^^).

PKrockin

Just got Paula and I'm having a good bit of trouble keeping her alive, I just got to Threed but she is only like 5 levels (level 15) behind Ness and still dies in 2-3 hits. I can keep making her defend but then I might as well leave her dead. She has the best equipment I can buy in Threed. I know I still need to level her up a bunch, but her stat-ups seem like trash compared to Ness, even in her specialty stats, she is gaining PP faster but I assume IQ is PSI-damage, and she is not getting too much more of that.

PSI damage/healing is set for each move--it's not influenced by stats. IQ determines max PP. Buy a teddy bear if you can to soak up the damage while Paula levels up a bit more. Her more powerful and efficient PSI really comes in handy.

One thing to note is that just in general, enemies can wipe out your HP faster in this game than in other RPGs so you've got heal fast and heal early.

Don't forget about Ness's PSI Shield, too.

PKrockin

I had already donated 200 each...I suppose I just wait now?

You go back and check the statue, then on your way back to Twoson he'll call you.

Pretty stupid moment, the designers expected you to invest in the inventors before leaving the town I guess.

iirate

You go back and check the statue, then on your way back to Twoson he'll call you.

Pretty stupid moment, the designers expected you to invest in the inventors before leaving the town I guess.

The first time I played the game, I got stuck and had to return it here. I had invested in the inventors, but every time I reached the statue, I just turned back to town without checking it. If you don't check it, you never get a call...

oatmeal

Banned

Ah, crap. I already sent the phone back for storage. I'll have to make a call.

JazzmanZ

So I'm playing past arriving in twoson for the first time with this game, is Peaceful rest valley supposed to be this hard ._.

whats a good level to grind to, to get through this level? and any tips?

PKrockin

The first time I played the game, I got stuck and had to return it here. I had invested in the inventors, but every time I reached the statue, I just turned back to town without checking it. If you don't check it, you never get a call...
lol, what, you saw a statue of a pencil and thought "well, obviously. No need to investigate this, I'll just head back"?

Kind of a bad oversight, but at least that's the only one I can think of in the game, and Miiverse should ensure people don't need to get stuck.

Ah, crap. I already sent the phone back for storage. I'll have to make a call.

Keep that receiver phone on you, you'll need it later.

So I'm playing past arriving in twoson for the first time with this game, is Peaceful rest valley supposed to be this hard ._.

Yes, it's one of the hardest if not the hardest area in the game. I think Mobile Sprouts are the best for exp. If you have a lot of cash you can buy some teddy bears, although Territorial Oak explosions will destroy them instantly so you should run from them. IIRC Spinning Robos appear mostly with Lil' UFOs... kill the robo first. Don't miss the Hard Hat. Cross the bridge and take the left path to find it.

iirate

lol, what, you saw a statue of a pencil and thought "well, obviously. No need to investigate this, I'll just head back"?

Kind of a bad oversight, but at least that's the only one I can think of in the game, and Miiverse should ensure people don't need to get stuck.

Keep that receiver phone on you, you'll need it later.

Yep XD

I guess I was a weird kid. The statue was funny to me, but I saw no reason to check it out - it was obviously a huge statue that I wasn't getting through! After that, I never really had a problem.

Ninja Dom

Peaceful Rest Valley is very difficult. Teddy Bears are a good investment.

Peagles

Yes, and? That would be the hardware emulation/backwards compatibility bit which is ultimately useless since you have no control inputs our options to save the game as I mentioned.

Ahahaha gotta love that "yes, and?" Lol. Are you sure there are no control inputs or options to save the game? Guess you missed the news about Devolution?

Devolution currently offers the following enhancements to the regular "Gamecube on Wii"
experience:
- Alternative mediums for loading games (SD and USB)
- Alternative controllers (Wiimote with classic controller, WiiU Pro Controller, PS3
controller)
- Alternative mediums as memory cards (SD and USB)
- Emulation of the Gamecube modem hardware using the Wii's networking hardware (wifi or wired)
- Wii Family Edition and WiiU support
- Up to four Wiimotes-Classic Controllers for multiplayer

If homebrew can do it I'm sure Nintendo could somehow manage (though they might take their sweet time, lol).

I found this great new Wired article while looking for an answer on Google:
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/07/marcus-lindblom-earthbound/
It's an interview with Marcus Lindblom, who translated and re-wrote the game’s text from Japanese to English.

Retro graphics have aged so well, it's funny to read that today.

Fantastic read for fans.

Wow, gotta read this!

Edit: Not sure what you're trying to argue about below? It's pretty clear that GC via Wii mode in Wii U is possible, controllers, memory cards, and all but using the physical disc. When I mentioned homebrew you said it was completely useless because of this but obviously didn't know it had already been done. At least we agree that what Nintendo does with that possibility is up to them though... *shrug*

D-e-f-

Banned
Ahahaha gotta love that "yes, and?" Lol. Are you sure there are no control inputs or options to save the game? Guess you missed the news about Devolution?

If homebrew can do it I'm sure Nintendo could somehow manage (though they might take their sweet time, lol).

What the homebrew scene does and what Nintendo does are two completely different things. Homebrew also has a PSOne or DOSbox emulator on Wii, for example.

The fact that Wii Mode exists suggests that they are set in the way they approach their legacy system compatiblity. And yes, I read the devolution thread (admittedly after posting this). This has zero bearing on future GCN VC support. We knew it was technically possible before this.

Again, back to Earthbound.

One thing I like is how the in-fiction logic works. Item drops from enemies specifically. Crows drop an item. What is it? A cookie. Shark gang members drop what? Hamburgers. Why? Because a bird is more likely to have maybe snatched a cookie from somewhere (it actually is one of its attacks!) and a human thug enemy is more likely to carry around a hamburger. Amazing!

PKrockin

So bizarre booting up my Wii U and seeing EarthBound on the menu. I was convinced for so many years that it would never happen.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Came back from vacation today, this happened:
zlCfzRD4ebMpK2z7w1

Loving it so far! Adorable

JavyOO7

I defeated
the titanic ant

I have no idea how to describe my experience with Earthbound so far. All I can say is that the OST, similar to AC New Leaf, are lovely experiences. I love the song whenever you level up. And I also love the song you listen to when you
learn the sound from giant step
. I liked it so much that this morning I downloaded this remix album from a while back from several OCReMix regulars at the time (Bound Together) and I had to listen to Kaijin's track. So good. So stronk. So godlike.

Top Bottom