• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EarthBound |OT| Look at the sun. Face the sun and smile.

jepense

I defeated
the titanic ant

I have no idea how to describe my experience with Earthbound so far. All I can say is that the OST, similar to AC New Leaf, are lovely experiences. I love the song whenever you level up. And I also love the song you listen to when you
learn the sound from giant step
. I liked it so much that this morning I downloaded this remix album from a while back from several OCReMix regulars at the time (Bound Together) and I had to listen to Kaijin's track. So good. So stronk. So godlike.
BoundTogether is great! Even though I haven't played the game before, I've listened to the music quite a bit. So good.

Qurupeke

The end! Seriously, one of the best games out there. No, it wasn't perfect but it was a lot of fun. An RPG that wasn't boring at all and every single bit of it was awesome. I'll try to write more about it soon. Seriously though, I just loved it! So, can someone put a Mr. Saturn on my avatar?(On its head)

About the final battle...

Holy pickles... That was really intense. I though having Ness 97~ levels was awesome and instant win... Nope, not at all. The battle wasn't difficult IF you knew what to do. I used pray out of fear as I couldn't damage Giygas at all and soon I knew how to beat him. But yeah, tne battle creeped me a lot. The fact that he's saying crazy things, like repeating Ness' name over and over again, or it's creepy as hell animation, or the fact that it was the background... And when it mentioned me in the prayers it freaked me out for a moment. lol Nevertheless, nice battle. The lava/diamond dog before was more difficult though. I don't even know how I beat it. I think only Jeff survived, along with a paralyzed, PPless Ness.
Now, happily I'll help anyone in this thread. Everyone needs to beat this awesome game.

Btw, why the series is named Mother? :p

In Mother,
Giegue/Giygas was raised by humans for a while, to my understanding, so he has a bit of a maternal imprint on him. Exploiting this is how you beat him in that game

In Mother 2,
Ness gets homesick if he doesn't call his mother semi-frequently

In Mother 3,
Lucas loses his mother in the first chapter

Also, "Mother Earth" or something.

(I actually have no clue and am just kinda reaching)

Joqu

In Mother,
Giegue/Giygas was raised by humans for a while, to my understanding, so he has a bit of a maternal imprint on him. Exploiting this is how you beat him in that game

In Mother 2,
Ness gets homesick if he doesn't call his mother semi-frequently

In Mother 3,
Lucas loses his mother in the first chapter

Also, "Mother Earth" or something.

(I actually have no clue and am just kinda reaching)

That and the John Lennon song. :p

Just did the third Sanctuary, have played for ~16 hours. The mushrooms in the cave leading to the Milky Well were frustrating. Despite focusing on taking them out as quickly as possible someone would inevitably get 'shroomed and I wound up wiping myself out twice against the boss before getting it done.

Hey guys! Sorry for the shameless plug but I recently had the opportunity to interview Marcus Lindblom, who was the localization director on EarthBound. I think you guys will find the article really interesting!

www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/07/marcus-lindblom-earthbound/

edit: Whoops, it was just posted above! That'll teach me to look a few posts up before I post something.
Thanks. Just finished reading it. Good interview. Cool to see he pretty much had creative freedom in doing the localization, with Itoi being completely hands-off. I understand when he says the retro graphics were one of the factors contributing to its poor sales, but that was one of the things I loved about it even back then.

Codeblue

The end! Seriously, one of the best games out there. No, it wasn't perfect but it was a lot of fun. An RPG that wasn't boring at all and every single bit of it was awesome. I'll try to write more about it soon. Seriously though, I just loved it! So, can someone put a Mr. Saturn on my avatar?(On its head)

About the final battle...

Holy pickles... That was really intense. I though having Ness 97~ levels was awesome and instant win... Nope, not at all. The battle wasn't difficult IF you knew what to do. I used pray out of fear as I couldn't damage Giygas at all and soon I knew how to beat him. But yeah, tne battle creeped me a lot. The fact that he's saying crazy things, like repeating Ness' name over and over again, or it's creepy as hell animation, or the fact that it was the background... And when it mentioned me in the prayers it freaked me out for a moment. lol Nevertheless, nice battle. The lava/diamond dog before was more difficult though. I don't even know how I beat it. I think only Jeff survived, along with a paralyzed, PPless Ness.
Now, happily I'll help anyone in this thread. Everyone needs to beat this awesome game.

End spoiler:

The moment it calls you out by name and observes that you're praying for these kids too is probably my absolute favorite moment in a video game.

Now go track down Mother 3.

Muskweeto

End spoiler:

The moment it calls you out by name and observes that you're praying for these kids too is probably my absolute favorite moment in a video game.

Now go track down Mother 3.

I fully agree, I still haven't played Mother 3. I have the Japanese cart and the translation patch, I was just waiting to get a flash cart so I could play it on an actual GBA, but I think I'll just use an emulator once I finish Earthbound.

Also, regarding why it's called mother: It makes a lot more sense in the first game.

Eusis

zlCfzRD3hs0D6CsS2d

I was there for about 3 hours. Poo got 20 levels, while everyone else about 10. Ness is 83 now. Fml. Never again.
I might give it, say, 32 battles or something, and if nothing shows up move on. Did it twice and don't really care to do it a third time unless it happens FAST.

MarkusRJR

Just played 2 hours of this game for the first time and I'm already in love. Dat music.

I've played Earthbound Zero and Mother 3. Hopefully it lives up to the latter. EBZ wasn't all that enjoyable in comparison.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
There's a lot of references to the "Happy Happyism religion" in the script. Did they use the word 'religion' so much originally? Maybe I'm misremembering Nintendo's censorship policy.

Also, I am a slave to Miiverse.
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAABAADOUV52d0WfCg
Following you. Earthbound was made for Miiverse, even moreso than Toki Tori. Here you get help and[/] anecdotes about the game's history.

Qurupeke

Meh, I made a post on Miiverse about Mother 3 and it was deleted. And it had like 9 yeahs on the first minute. I'm not sure why but

it was deleted either because I said "Pokey needs to pay" or because I posted The End...? screen. But the first was way too vague and I had already seen the end screen on another post that has not been deleted yet.

Well, I'll post again, I just want Mother 3 so much now..

Never played Earthbound (except maybe 2 mins on an emulated version about 8 years ago!) and I really want to! Why is it Wii U exclusive?

Goddammit, Nintendo!

Meh, I made a post on Miiverse about Mother 3 and it was deleted. And it had like 9 yeahs on the first minute. I'm not sure why but

it was deleted either because I said "Pokey needs to pay" or because I posted The End...? screen. But the first was way too vague and I had already seen the end screen on another post that has not been deleted yet.

Was it marked as a spoiler? They're pretty serious about removing unmarked spoilers.

And yeah, Mother 3 is an incredible experience that you do not want to miss. I still hold hope that it will be released in some fashion in the west, though admittedly it's a tiny hope.

Qurupeke

Was it marked as a spoiler? They're pretty serious about removing unmarked spoilers.

And yeah, Mother 3 is an incredible experience that you do not want to miss. I still hold hope that it will be released in some fashion in the west, though admittedly it's a tiny hope.
No marked spoilers, but I thought I didn't reveal anything. I guess they're really careful with these...

Btw, my post wasn't deleted, it was only marked as spoiler.

At first I thought they deleted it just because you mentioned Mother 3, and that would be really messed up, but I suppose it could have also been because you posted an ending screen or a spoiler? Try making another post about wanting a M3 release!

BTW, if you order a copy of the japanese version, it would be totally legal to play it on an emulator along with the translation patch. It should be pretty cheap by now, and if you liked Earthbound you should really find a way to play it.

I just finished the game. Chrono Trigger may have been slightly better, but this game came damn close. Truly a classic, and worth all the hype it has received lately. I really wish Mother 3 gets a VC release some day...

Qurupeke

BTW, if you order a copy of the japanese version, it would be totally legal to play it on an emulator along with the translation patch. It should be pretty cheap by now, and if you liked Earthbound you should really find a way to play it.

I am not sure that it will be cheap. :/ Well, the best thing would be to bring this to the west. I think with Miiverse we actually have a chance. Until now almost everything we asked happened. And really, Mother 3 isn't so much to want. I'm sure tney already have a translation for this and with the GBA games soon on Wii U they should absolutely bring this there. For now, everyone that wants it should buy EarthBound. And then, we should post on Miiverse about M3.

I am not sure that it will be cheap. :/ Well, the best thing would be to bring this to the west. I think with Miiverse we actually have a chance. Until now almost everything we asked happened. And really, Mother 3 isn't so much to want. I'm sure tney already have a translation for this and with the GBA games soon on Wii U they should absolutely bring this there. For now, everyone that wants it should buy EarthBound. And then, we should post on Miiverse about M3.

Earthbound community in Miiverse is on its way to being the biggest VC community soon. With bit of effort Mother 3 requests should be soon noticed by Nintendo...

D-e-f-

Banned
so how many reviews does this thing have on the eshop so far (i'm just trying to gauge its sales).

reviews are a useless indicator as the review function is so terribly hidden behind eShop menus.

look at the post count in the miiverse community overview instead.

Top Bottom