• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EarthBound |OT| Look at the sun. Face the sun and smile.

L Thammy

Canada has 60. 54 of those are five stars.

Important question here: Would I experience the game more fully with a walkthrough open or should I go through the game uninformed?

Going to start playing today and want to do this right.

There isn't much in the way of missable content. Just explore as much as possible and ask when you get stuck.
That said, the guide is a great read on its own. Loved that thing.

Important question here: Would I experience the game more fully with a walkthrough open or should I go through the game uninformed?

Amir0x

Banned
i feel like this thread is making up for the fact that I wasn't visiting forums when Earthbound originally came out and I couldn't discuss the game with anyone

Fandangox

i feel like this thread is making up for the fact that I wasn't visiting forums when Earthbound originally came out and I couldn't discuss the game with anyone

Feeling the same. I hope on the web-based Miiverse every now and then to give tips to newcomers.

Just wish I could be able to play it right now. :c

AniHawk

i have an obligation to buy certain games (because of reasons from when i was a teenager), and this is definitely one of them. i already bought chrono trigger and super metroid once they were available again at retail or digitally. the only ones left are earthbound and terranigma.

Earthbound has 11 ratings on the Australian eShop but is above Toki Tori 2, which has 40, on the All Bestsellers list. So that's the range of minimum sales.

Lotto

I found this great new Wired article while looking for an answer on Google:
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/07/marcus-lindblom-earthbound/
It's an interview with Marcus Lindblom, who translated and re-wrote the game’s text from Japanese to English.

Retro graphics have aged so well, it's funny to read that today.

Fantastic read for fans.

Lovely interview, that guy should be proud. He did a really great job with the translation and brought a lot of personality to the final game. Really nice to see how much creative freedom he had with it too.

kizmah

I love the creepy and uneasy atmospehere in Happy Happy Village! This game just keeps getting better and better and it's come to a point when it's hard to put down. I expected a good game but not this good.

Also, the Miiverse-community is awesome! Full of tips, helpful gamers and great screenshots.

I'd suggest playing without a guide, actually playing with a guide seems strange to me, wouldn't it totally ruin the game?

In Euro-Miiverse I can see about 17k users for Earthbound, a hundred or so users more for Super Metroid, and the two biggest are F-Zero with little under 20k and Balloon Flight (the first 30 cent game) having the most with little over 20k. If the Earthbound comminunity keep growing at this pace it will overtake Super Metroid today and the other two in a couple of days.

Aeana

Since I finished SMT4, it's time to get my EB replay started. I put this off for a couple of years since I knew it was coming to VC eventually. This is gonna be really satisfying.

I'm already at Twoson, did some chickenery, heading into Peaceful Rest Valley.

zlCfzREARSAF-UQV0h

Even though I really don't need the money, I can't not do this every time I play the game. It's just a tradition.

kizmah

I'm already at Twoson, did some chickenery, heading into Peaceful Rest Valley.

Even though I really don't need the money, I can't not do this every time I play the game. It's just a tradition.

Please, do explain (without spoilers) I'm at Twoson myself right now.

You can buy fresh eggs at the park for $12. If you wait around (real time), they'll turn into chicks and eventually into chickens. Chickens sell for $110.

I never really had problems with money when I played the game.... only when wanted to buy that cabin early in the game, and didn't have the money. And I don't think it was really worth it anyway.
Unless there was something else to it, I thought it was only a joke

Gambit

You can buy fresh eggs at the park for $12. If you wait around (real time), they'll turn into chicks and eventually into chickens. Chickens sell for $110.

awesome! By "real time" you mean leaving the game on for a while, right?
It doesn't have an internal clock like Animal Crossing, right?

That would be too far ahead of its time.

Aeana

I never really had problems with money when I played the game.... only when wanted to buy that cabin early in the game, and didn't have the money. And I don't think it was really worth it anyway.
Unless there was something else to it, I thought it was only a joke

Like I said, I don't need the money. It's just something I've always done.

awesome! By "real time" you mean leaving the game on for a while, right?
It doesn't have an internal clock like Animal Crossing, right?

That would be too far ahead of its time.

Yes, you leave the game on (with no menus up). It doesn't take that long. Usually 1-3 minutes. Sometimes longer. There's an element of randomness.

Gambit

Yes, you leave the game on (with no menus up). It doesn't take that long. Usually 1-3 minutes. Sometimes longer. There's an element of randomness.

thanks for the clarification.

BTW: What happens when you die in battle? is there a penalty?

I guess I'll find out soon enough. (some early battles I only survived by sheer luck.)

thanks for the clarification.

BTW: What happens when you die in battle? is there a penalty?

I guess I'll find out soon enough. (some early battles I only survived by sheer luck.)

You'll lose half of the cash you have with you, and you have to visit a hotel in order to get your stats recovered. But it doesn't usually matter, as the experience points you got turn into cash as soon as you call your dad... As long as you keep the most of your savings in the bank of course.

kizmah

So that's the point of my eggs turning into chickens! Didn't think of checking the prices.

D-e-f-

Banned
You'll lose half of the cash you have with you, and you have to visit a hotel in order to get your stats recovered. But it doesn't usually matter, as the experience points you got turn into cash as soon as you call your dad... As long as you keep the most of your savings in the bank of course.

Oh XP -> $ is a 1:1 conversion? Crazy, never noticed that.

Oh XP -> $ is a 1:1 conversion? Crazy, never noticed that.

It's not 1:1, but I think there's some kind of fixed rate...

edit:
oops, I was wrong. There's a fixed sum of money you get from different enemies.

Coil Snake
EXP: 1 Money: $4

Runaway Dog
EXP: 4 Money: $3

Rich!

Just got to the bit with Jeff.

So far, I am liking it a lot - but storywise, this is falling very short of Mother 3 for me. By this point in Mother 3, the plot had progressed hugely and given you some real shocking plot twists and developments. The battle system is also far better in Mother 3.

However, I AM enjoying the hell out of Earthbound. Hopefully the story picks up a bit more soon, as that was my favourite thing about M3.

I do like hearing the tunes that were brought back in M3 - getting to the winters school dorm and hearing that familiar music was great.

Is anyone else in the same situation as me? Like, having played Mother 3 first before 2?

Gambit

thanks, so basically like Dragon Quest.

Aeana

Just got to the bit with Jeff.

So far, I am liking it a lot - but storywise, this is falling very short of Mother 3 for me. By this point in Mother 3, the plot had progressed hugely and given you some real shocking plot twists and developments. The battle system is also far better in Mother 3.

However, I AM enjoying the hell out of Earthbound. Hopefully the story picks up a bit more soon, as that was my favourite thing about M3.

You should do yourself a favor and stop trying to compare it to Mother 3. I had a similar problem the other way around the first time I played Mother 3 -- I kept comparing it to EB, and it really injured my experience. It took a couple of playthroughs for me to let that go and really let Mother 3 shine its own light.

Rich!

You should do yourself a favor and stop trying to compare it to Mother 3. I had a similar problem the other way around the first time I played Mother 3 -- I kept comparing it to EB, and it really injured my experience. It took a couple of playthroughs for me to let that go and really let Mother 3 shine its own light.

I am definitely trying to. Its just odd seeing all these things that were expanded on and improved in 3 in a much less developed form.

Either way, I'm loving the experience. So it's all good.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I've been playing this game for a while, but I'm still unsure of whether I'm doing something wrong. When I got to Frank, I had to level up to level 7 to beat him, now I'm in some sort of dungeon and I'm getting beat up all the time again. What's going on, am I doing something awfulle wrong in fighting or does the game just demand that I grind? Because really, going to level 7 before Frank was boring as hell.

Aeana

I am definitely trying to. Its just odd seeing all these things that were expanded on and improved in 3 in a much less developed form.

Either way, I'm loving the experience. So it's all good.

The fact is that each game has a different goal. Earthbound's goal is to be a parody/homage to Dragon Quest, and Mother 3 actually totally shed that and went toward being more unique.

Rich!

The fact is that each game has a different goal. Earthbound's goal is to be a parody/homage to Dragon Quest, and Mother 3 actually totally shed that and went toward being more unique.

Hm. I've never played Dragon Quest, so I can see how the gameplay homages would be lost on me.

I've been playing this game for a while, but I'm still unsure of whether I'm doing something wrong. When I came to Frank, I had to level up to level 7 to beat him, now I'm in some sort of dungeon and I'm getting beat up all the time again. What's going on, am I doing something awfulle wrong in fighting or does the game just demand that I grind? Because really, going to level 7 before Frank was boring as hell.

The random enemies are tough compared to something like Final Fantasy, you can never really relax and go on auto pilot. On the other hand, the game doesn't punish you much for dying and trying again, you get to keep all the experience points and items.

Siegmeyer

Do you get more inventory space at some point? I'm at the point where Paula joins you, and it seems that I've now got a few more extras that I think I should have on me at all times, like the Receiver phone, Suporma, For Sale Sign. Only got about two free slots for battle items.

Yoshi

The random enemies are tough compared to something like Final Fantasy, you can never really relax and go on auto pilot. On the other hand, the game doesn't punish you much for dying and trying again, you get to keep all the experience points and items.
Yeah, I do, but since I think the fights are rather boring (I think they are weaker than in all Mario RPGs, all Pokémons, all Final Fantasys and all Dragon Quests I've played), I'd prefer to learn the game in a way that I don't spend 70% of my time grinding.

Peagles

Do you get more inventory space at some point? I'm at the point where Paula joins you, and it seems that I've now got a few more extras that I think I should have on me at all times, like the Receiver phone, Suporma, For Sale Sign. Only got about two free slots for battle items.

Call your sister!

Yeah, I do, but since I think the fights are rather boring (I think they are weaker than in all Mario RPGs, all Pokémons, all Final Fantasys and all Dragon Quests I've played), I'd prefer to learn the game in a way that I don't spend 70% of my time grinding.

It's funny you say that. I feel like this is one of the least grindy games I've played from this era, and I still feel overlevelled for where I'm up to. I also find the battles really fun and charming. The music is great and the enemies do the most random stuff! Sometimes it's like oh-god-we're-gonna-die-next-turn and the enemy does something like trips over, or yells really loud, or something else weird that does no damage, ha!

D-e-f-

Banned

You're not grinding. Just don't avoid enemies your first time through. That's just regular combat. You're supposed to fight enemies to get used to how the battles work. Fighting those enemies that are in your way the first time through is not grinding. Grinding is when you did fight them all and have to go back and redo it multiple times to level up because you're getting your ass handed to you.

Aeana

You certainly don't need the Suporma. It's a totally useless item.

Yoshi

You're not grinding. Just don't avoid enemies your first time through. That's just regular combat. You're supposed to fight enemies to get used to how the battles work. Fighting those enemies that are in your way the first time through is not grinding. Grinding is when you did fight them all and have to go back and redo it multiple times to level up because you're getting your ass handed to you.
I know, but only fighting each enemy once, I ended up in the city on level 3 and all the gang persons killed me on their first strike. Afterwards I had to return to level up to even have a chance to hit them once.

Hmm... but in Final Fantasies 90% of the encounters are super easy, you just press A to win? How is that less boring than having to actually be careful when fighting most enemies? Of course you may want to grind a bit and collect experience, but I don't think it's necessary.

D-e-f-

Banned
I know, but only fighting each enemy once, I ended up in the city on level 3 and all the gang persons killed me on their first strike. Afterwards I had to return to level up to even have a chance to hit them once.

Did you buy the tea bat? I walked around exploring, running into more crows and dogs and snakes before I ran into the gang. Also make sure to only lure one enemy to you. If they gang up on you, you're in a real pickle most of the time (until you learn PSI Air at least).

Aeana

Did you buy the tea bat? I walked around exploring, running into more crows and dogs and snakes before I ran into the gang. Also make sure to only lure one enemy to you. If they gang up on you, you're in a real pickle most of the time (until you learn PSI Air at least).

Your favorite thing is air? :eek:

Yoshi

No I didn't, should I buy new items or can I just go off the ones I find?

Hmm... but in Final Fantasies 90% of the encounters are super easy, you just press A to win? How is that less boring than having to actually be careful when fighting most enemies? Of course you may want to grind a bit and collect experience, but I don't think it's necessary.

Yeah, FF is quite easy, but I like the combination of strategy (chosing the right move / magic to attack) with a timer. Of course, if you want to, you can ignore this element and press A to win, but you don't need to.

D-e-f-

Banned
Your favorite thing is air? :eek:

Ahahahaha so that's one of the placeholder things? Awesome :D

Yea, I couldn't come up with anything better :p

No I didn't, should I buy new items or can I just go off the ones I find?

Well, since you don't like grinding you'll need all the help you can get and a bat that does more damage seems like an easy way to improve your chances, doesn't it? :D

Top Bottom