• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EarthBound |OT| Look at the sun. Face the sun and smile.

No I didn't, should I buy new items or can I just go off the ones I find?

I think it's a good idea to buy the best items when possible, you shouldn't really have much money problems in the game. Also bats and frying pans are better than slingshots and yo-yos, as you miss far less often.

Amir0x

Banned
I'm always bummed that you can't consume it on-the-spot instead of leaving it behind. I mean, who would honestly do such a thing?
the amount of bread and cookies I end up leaving behind when I play Earthbound is probably enough to feed several small countries lol

If Ness and company just consumed it all I bet they'd all be giant walking lard asses haha

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Well, since you don't like grinding you'll need all the help you can get and a bat that does more damage seems like an easy way to improve your chances, doesn't it? :D

That's right, but since I don't earn any money in fights, I felt unsure whether I should spend my money or just keep it (as I do in most games XD) to prepare for the possibility I need it later on :D.

Aeana

That's right, but since I don't earn any money in fights, I felt unsure whether I should spend my money or just keep it (as I do in most game XD) to prepare for the possibility I need it later on :D.

You do earn money from fights, it just doesn't go into your pocket. Check the ATM in the hotel or drugstore.

D-e-f-

Banned
You do earn money from fights, it just doesn't go into your pocket. Check the ATM in the hotel or drugstore.

But since he doesn't like the combat, avoids it and thus doesn't earn anything during it, things are looking bleak for his future :D

Yoshi

But since he doesn't like the combat, avoids it and thus doesn't earn anything during it, things are looking bleak for his future :D

I don't actively avoid it, I just don't like to walk around for an hour, fighting one fight after another, instead of progressing in the game.

Thanks, Aena btw, I saw that my money went up on the ATM, but I thought it was just the money my father seems to give to me for no good reason all the time ^^.

D-e-f-

Banned
I don't actively avoid it, I just don't like to walk around for an hour, fighting one fight after another, instead of progressing in the game.

Well then, you don't really need to as I said earlier :)

Just take on the guys you run across during the early parts. You should be able to one-shot them pretty quickly (and then you soon transition to the auto-win anyway).

Siegmeyer

You certainly don't need the Suporma. It's a totally useless item.

Really? Damn Orange kid. Thanks for the heads up.

I think it's a good idea to buy the best items when possible, you shouldn't really have much money problems in the game. Also bats and frying pans are better than slingshots and yo-yos, as you miss far less often.

Is there a way to check the hit success rate of weapons? I've just been buying anything that gives me the flashing status box to let me know it's better than my current item.

There is no item/Psi solution to mushrooms. Only Healers, the springs in Saturn Valley and one other character in a certain spot.

I learnt the hard way that there are certain points where you just need to suck it up and push on.

Yoshi

There is no item/Psi solution to mushrooms. Only Healers, the springs in Saturn Valley and one other character in a certain spot.

I learnt the hard way that there are certain points where you just need to suck it up and push on.
Can you also die to lose the effect?

Yazan

Just beat it and it was an amazing experience. Stayed up til 5AM last night playing it, haven't happened in years. I wish more $60 were like this.

Is there a way to check the hit success rate of weapons? I've just been buying anything that gives me the flashing status box to let me know it's better than my current item.

I think generally just bats and frying pans that get better hit rates.

from FAQ:
"Slingshots and Yo-yos have slightly lower accuracies than the party's standard weapons and can't get SMAAAASH!! hits, but their damage is not reduced by shields."

All in all, I'd say they are not worth it. There's also a bat later on that has low hit rate, but very high damage. It's worth checking every weapons description from to goods menu after you get them, some increase your Guts, so it may be worth keeping them even if the base damage is lower. Guts determine how often you get SMAAASH hits.

Those coppers!!Thinking they are Ninjas or something...:p

I just read the OP, and i cant understand this one..
"The most important one is that your hit points will scroll when you take damage. What this means is that you still have the chance to heal yourself if you take more damage than you can take, or even win before you’re out of HP"

I am pretty sure that at a fight, my HP reached zero, but I could still input some command.So I tried to heal myself with PSI, but I died..
Is that what the quote is referring to?

I am pretty sure that at a fight, my HP reached zero, but I could still input some command.So I tried to heal myself with PSI, but I died..
Is that what the quote is referring to?

Yeah, it's a matter of time, if you are quick enough you can heal yourself before the HP counter rolls to zero. By the way, make sure that your text speed is set to max, it can save your life when encountering exploding trees and other enemies like that.

Yeah, I do, but since I think the fights are rather boring (I think they are weaker than in all Mario RPGs, all Pokémons, all Final Fantasys and all Dragon Quests I've played), I'd prefer to learn the game in a way that I don't spend 70% of my time grinding.
Here is a thing I learned quickly in DQ like games. Use healing items, don't sit on them. The limited inventory you have in Earthbound and the frequent drops compound this point.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Here's a good tip for people who are complaining about having to grind: a lot of the bosses early on have a glaring weakness to a particular PSI attack. If you can "sneak" your way to them quickly and beat them, all of the enemies in the dungeon will run away from you on the way back. Use this opportunity for easier kills, it allows you to single out enemies, and eventually you won't even enter the battle but will still get a solid amount of experience per kill basically with no time expenditure.

I remember back in the day I would sit and grind Paula up before Lilliput Steps and it would take a long time, but this time I rushed to the boss and had her up to speed in no time by using the above method.

Aeana

Here's a good tip for people who are complaining about having to grind: a lot of the bosses early on have a glaring weakness to a particular PSI attack. If you can "sneak" your way to them quickly and beat them, all of the enemies in the dungeon will run away from you on the way back. Use this opportunity for easier kills, allows you to single out enemies, and eventually you won't even enter the battle but will still get a solid amount of experience per kill basically with no time expenditure.

I remember back in the day I would sit and grind Paula up before Lilliput Steps and it would take a long time, but this time I rushed to the boss and had her up to speed in no time by using the above method.
It's just stupid how weak that boss is to
paralysis

Psxphile

The word "abandoned" always made me sad. :( I'm sorry, Cookie. :(

0fc1641f24c3a270ee6460df6a02e1c3bbb7c0eb_r.png

Earthbound Miiverse-community just passed Super Metroid one in Europe. 17086 vs 17062.

One of us! One of us!

"All right well now that that's out of the way it's time to play 'Who's got the silliest thing on under their robe?'!"

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I was tempted to post almost every other piece of dialogue in
Moonside
on Miiverse. I had forgotten the sheer insanity of the place.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Earthbound Miiverse-community just passed Super Metroid one in Europe. 17086 vs 17062.

One of us! One of us!

Was I supposed to get
the second melody
before or after this? I thought I got a bit too much experience in that cave, but only after I was done, I realized I maybe was supposed to
get Holly
first.

Also: wow at those Miiverse posts.

PKrockin

Was I supposed to get
the second melody
before or after this? I thought I got a bit too much experience in that cave, but only after I was done, I realized I maybe was supposed to
get Holly
first.

Also: wow at those Miiverse posts.

I think that's what you're intended to do, yeah. No harm done though. IIRC most sanctuaries can be done out of order.

Tiktaalik

Since I finished SMT4, it's time to get my EB replay started. I put this off for a couple of years since I knew it was coming to VC eventually. This is gonna be really satisfying.

I'm already at Twoson, did some chickenery, heading into Peaceful Rest Valley.

Even though I really don't need the money, I can't not do this every time I play the game. It's just a tradition.

When you get to Happy Happy Village are you gonna pay for the eggs from the honesty store? I usually don't, but this time I did.

Tiktaalik

I've been playing this game for a while, but I'm still unsure of whether I'm doing something wrong. When I got to Frank, I had to level up to level 7 to beat him, now I'm in some sort of dungeon and I'm getting beat up all the time again. What's going on, am I doing something awfulle wrong in fighting or does the game just demand that I grind? Because really, going to level 7 before Frank was boring as hell.

You generally don't have to grind in this game (though if you're on the weaker side you'll be much more at the mercy of critical attacks and such). A lot of people I know seem to have trouble with the combat and think they have to grind but I think the core issue is that in this game the regular enemies hit hard and you have to be extremely conservative. Consider the chance of a critical attack, be conservative and heal accordingly.

Final Fantasy games with their incredibly weak regular monsters have trained JRPG gamers to mash A through battles. If you're doing this in Earthbound you're going to have trouble and as well you're missing the great battle writing.

I've been playing this game for a while, but I'm still unsure of whether I'm doing something wrong. When I got to Frank, I had to level up to level 7 to beat him, now I'm in some sort of dungeon and I'm getting beat up all the time again. What's going on, am I doing something awfulle wrong in fighting or does the game just demand that I grind? Because really, going to level 7 before Frank was boring as hell.

You're doing something awfully wrong. As long as you have the best available equipment from the store (stick to bats for weapons) and heal yourself when your HP is low you should be winning these fights at half the exp level. You don't need to grind at all in this game, just fight all (or even most of) the incidental enemies and you'll be fine, exp wise.

Do you get more inventory space at some point? I'm at the point where Paula joins you, and it seems that I've now got a few more extras that I think I should have on me at all times, like the Receiver phone, Suporma, For Sale Sign. Only got about two free slots for battle items.

You don't wanna be a pack rat in this game. Keep the phone and the ATM card, and put everything else into storage unless you're absolutely sure you're going to be needing it in the next section. Like others have said a lot of people come into this game with the habits they formed in infinite-inventory RPGs, but if you just force yourself to be even a little conservative, it's not that bad at all, especially when you start getting other party members.

As for the suporma..... use it immediately.

lol... I guess I'm not the only one who always felt a little guilty when those words came up.

noal

Banned
Just got it but I'm not really an RPG fan, or should that be that I haven't really played any before; should I just go in cold or consult the guide for some help?

Tiktaalik

Just got it but I'm not really an RPG fan, or should that be that I haven't really played any before; should I just go in cold or consult the guide for some help?

Earthbound was one of if not the first JRPG I ever played and I made it through it. Of course I did have the guide.

My suggestion is to simply have a look at the guide if you ever feel lost or are unsure what to do. There are a handful of really obscure situations where I wouldn't fault anyone for looking at the guide to get past. In the game there's not a lot of stuff you can mess up or miss out on, so reading the guide ahead of time isn't necessary until you completely don't know how to advance.

I'd definitely have a read through of the first few pages of this thread as a lot of people posted great general tips for how you should play the game so as to avoid frustration.

noal

Banned
Earthbound was one of if not the first JRPG I ever played and I made it through it. Of course I did have the guide.

My suggestion is to simply have a look at the guide if you ever feel lost or are unsure what to do. There are a handful of really obscure situations where I wouldn't fault anyone for looking at the guide to get past. In the game there's not a lot of stuff you can mess up or miss out on, so reading the guide ahead of time isn't necessary until you completely don't know how to advance.

I'd definitely have a read through of the first few pages of this thread as a lot of people posted great general tips for how you should play the game so as to avoid frustration.

Thanks for the advice, I'll go and re-read the first couple of pages.

Davey Cakes

It's just stupid how weak that boss is to
paralysis
It's completely broken.

But, to be honest it's one of the few times I ever use it in the game.

Now, one ability that I NEVER use is
hypnosis
. In my experience it has failed more often than not. Pointless.

Anyway, I've been doing a replay of this myself. Really trying to get most of the details. Reading pretty much ever sign, talking to every person, and exploring most of the towns. Also, avoiding enemies less and just "going for it" more. Though, in Twoson I know there's a lot of emptiness around the edges so I some of that senseless exploration.

It's funny that I feel like I'm having an easy time with the game, but still have some "uh oh" moments. I felt pretty darn confident after beating Mondo Mole and having Ness and Paula well-leveled but as soon as I walk out of the cave to go back into Peaceful Rest Valley, bam, there's a Territorial Oak right in my face and I can't escape. It one-shots Paula and I proceed to destroy it easily but man, it reminds you that there are just some enemies and situations that will makes things really bad for you. In the case of Paula she just couldn't handle the attack because that's the way it is, but up to that point I was avoiding the Oaks and basically fighting anything else with confidence.

So yeah, basically the game can be a cake walk at parts but can surprise you with some moments of devastation. In a way, that keeps you on your toes.

D-e-f-

Banned

The thing about these Nintendo-made guides is that they're not step-by-step walkthroughs but instead nudge you in the right direction more than anything. They don't usually do all the work for you. I even remember similar things from calling their official hotline when I got stuck in OoT back in the days. They never just told me flat out what to do but suggested things to look out for.

Peagles

It's completely broken.

But, to be honest it's one of the few times I ever use it in the game.

Now, one ability that I NEVER use is
hypnosis
. In my experience it has failed more often than not. Pointless.

I only use these
if Jeff tells me to, otherwise I just assume they'll fail

Top Bottom