• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EarthBound |OT| Look at the sun. Face the sun and smile.

kubus

Oh my god, it's out?!

I've never played any Mother game and I don't know much about them but I'm really psyched for this. The fact that so many people are so passionate about it and Nintendo listening to its fans is enough reason for me to buy it instantly.

Aeana

Really, really impressed that they made the player's guide availabile digitally. New players should definitely not neglect it. I consider it to be part of the experience.

Wish I still had my guide and the big ass box. :\ Would've been cool if Nintendo and SNES publishers spent a bit more with their packaging like Sega did and used plastic cases. Maybe more of us would still have our manuals and other papers that may have come with our games intact.

Out of boredom I dug out my turned ugly yellowish SNES last night and tested a few games that I still had to see if their batteries were still good and my copy of Earthbound still lives! :D So did Chrono Trigger and FFIII, Super Mario World wasn't so lucky though that is a few years older and considering the amount of fiddling I had to do to get my damn SNES working I might have corrupted the data. But more likely just the battery is kaput, should have tested it further, oh well.

Anyway, $10 is ridiculous for a nearly 20 year old game in DD form, even if it is a classic. Nintendo probably took so long because it's Nintendo aaaannnd I should probably just stop there.

Theorymon

HELL YEAH! I already got a cart, which I got in a funny way: I found it at a thrift store with Chrono Trigger, payed 20 bucks to get them both, that was a good day. But regardless, even though I can play Earthbound on the SNES, I love this game so fucking much that I want to rebuy it just for miiverse stuff =)

meppi

Haha, I just encountered
Mr. resetti
!
No idea that he first appeared in this game! Although he doesn't have his job yet. ;)

Tunic

Really, really impressed that they made the player's guide availabile digitally. New players should definitely not neglect it. I consider it to be part of the experience.

I fully agree! It definitely goes in close association with the game.

Dreweyes

I drew this on the EarthBound Miiverse! :)

uYfqwTc.png

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/Dreweyes

Spades

Is anyone else having trouble with the eShop right now? It keeps throwing me errors and I just want to download this game!

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I remember playing this game years and years ago ! Never beat the game though as I made it to as far as this swamp-ish area. Seem to be pretty late in the game already but I just gave up for some reason. This game release is definitely a factor to consider if I were ever to purchase a WiiU :O

Eusis

You know, he may've said that but the premium price does raise questions: was that just because of high demand (it IS common sense admittedly: if something's highly desired you can sell it for more), because they took that extra mile for getting the strategy guide online and not just as some cheap PDF, or maybe because they went ahead and did something like license any potentially problematic songs as being covers? I doubt we'll ever really know why for sure, not that I really mind as it's just $2 and for one of the most sought after RPGs made it's worth it. Shame my own copy's busted.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Played it for a bit (currently running around in the first town). God, I love the writing in this. All the "attacks" of the kids that come with you in the beginning (like he's using you as a shield, etc.), laughed so hard at this.

Jofamo

So why haven't they put it on the Wii VC too?

Because the Wii is at end of life and Nintendo's full focus is on 3DS and Wii U?

There's no reason anyone should have expected them to release it on Wii or 3DS, when they specifically said earlier in the year it was only on Wii U.

I must have gone through this game ~25 times now over the years. I put it down for a long time to save up and finally did another run about 4 months ago. It's weird...maybe I just hadn't play it in so long but I was getting WORKED!. I didn't remember the game being so heard. Even while trying to over-level I felt like I dies 10 times more than I ever have previously. It was just a very frustrating, slow playthrough and it's a shame. Great game thought.

You know, he may've said that but the premium price does raise questions: was that just because of high demand (it IS common sense admittedly: if something's highly desired you can sell it for more), because they took that extra mile for getting the strategy guide online and not just as some cheap PDF, or maybe because they went ahead and did something like license any potentially problematic songs as being covers? I doubt we'll ever really know why for sure, not that I really mind as it's just $2 and for one of the most sought after RPGs made it's worth it. Shame my own copy's busted.

I think Nintendo said that licensing was never an issue. Everyone just assumed it was. In reality Nintendo were just being dicks.

Because the Wii is at end of life and Nintendo's full focus is on 3DS and Wii U?

There's no reason anyone should have expected them to release it on Wii or 3DS, when they specifically said earlier in the year it was only on Wii U.

LOL @ the bolded. You aren't in my head. You don't know what I expect.

However, they SHOULD have released it on both the Wii and the Wii U. Making an SNES game a Wii U exclusive to get sales is pretty damn sad though.

Also, I never mentioned the 3DS and why in the world would I expect them to release an SNES game on the 3DS when we haven't seen any SNES titles yet and likely won't for a few years.

However, they SHOULD have released it on both the Wii and the Wii U. Making an SNES game a Wii U exclusive to get sales is pretty damn sad though.

Also, I never mentioned the 3DS and why in the world would I expect them to release an SNES game on the 3DS when we haven't seen any SNES titles yet and likely won't for a few years.

Its releasing on wii u because people asked for it on miiverse. It was a direct response to customer demand.

georly

Its releasing on wii u because people asked for it on miiverse. It was a direct response to customer demand.

I also think that it's basically 2 separate developments for each system. They'd basically have to do even MORE work to get it out on wii. I don' think it's as easy as people think, there's no 'publish on virtual console' button. There is actual dev work to be done, so why bother spending the time and money to dev/test the wii version, when it wouldn't sell all that much.

Rootbeer

Banned
Alright... I guess I'll buy it strictly on principle... since I have never owned a copy...

but if I find out they altered any graphics or music from the NA SNES release I will be very sad :(

Love my Wii U <3

Dave Long

Banned

A thread already got locked because of posts like this one. You should probably consider your words carefully.

This is a good day where a great game finally is available affordably on a modern console. If you don't have a Wii U to enjoy it, well, consider it one more reason to get a Wii U. Enough exclusive games people want create demand for new systems.

takoyaki

Earthbound on WiiU

Shantae on 3DS

if someone had told me that would happen on the same day, I would have called that person a dirty liar.....sorry imaginary person, I was wrong ;-)

Amir0x

Banned
Sadly, I'm old, losing my hair and playing it for the first time.

I guess we can't have it all.

No I mean since I was young when I played it for the first time, I wish I was young again and was experiencing it for the first time.

EB is a great game regardless of what age you go into it with :D

I bought it with my $30 from FE & SMTIV. I'm kind of busy with Animal Crossing and Shin Megami Tensei to play it right now, though. I just wanted to show my support on the first day and it was basically free.

Eusis

I think Nintendo said that licensing was never an issue. Everyone just assumed it was. In reality Nintendo were just being dicks.
Admittedly I'm not sure that's something I'd want anyone admitting to if I wanted to get the game out again as that probably wouldn't look good if they DID want to pick a legal battle, but I can't deny that it's just as likely - if not moreso - that they saw an opportunity and wanted to take advantage. The late release is still odd though.

brian577

Banned
So did they cut out the Beatles references in this release? I remember that was one of the reasons why people thought this game was never going to ever make it VC.

Edit: Nevermind

PK Gaming

Pussy

that's what I always put

because I am clearly still in elementary school with my dirty mind

I always picked gaming, in every single one of my playthroughs. It's kind of a long lasting tradition, but I feel like breaking it this year. I think i'll use
Neogaf haha

So did they cut out the Beatles references in this release? I remember that was one of the reasons why people thought this game was never going to ever make it VC.

Edit: Nevermind

Why the edit? I'm curious as to what was cut / changed in this version. I saw on twitter that some of the PSI effects were "faded out". Whatever that means.

No I mean since I was young when I played it for the first time, I wish I was young again and was experiencing it for the first time.

EB is a great game regardless of what age you go into it with :D

Oh, I know. I was just being a dork.

And I hope you're right. I have really high hopes for it. I've stayed away from as many spoilers as I could for as long as I could.

Top Bottom