• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Axass

I've never been exposed to Ryan Stevens during GT, because I started watching podcasts with GT Time, but he's great.

Seems very knowledgeable, quirky, and clever. He also offers a new and refreshing point of view on many things. I'd be a perfect fit for EZA, too bad they're already low on money as is, with 9 people.

Hope to see him have guest appearances again!

Also, make Elyse on Fiasco happen.

Mista Koo

Analysis Paralysis is more common as a board gaming term. With PvP turn-based games trying to consider every option to pick the optimal one can be very tricky. Especially when you become self-conscious because everyone is waiting for you to be done. I would avoid playing some games because the amount of options I need to process is just too overwhelming. If it's a long game you really don't want to make a bad move at the start and get stuck for two hours or so when you know you can't win.
Since I brought up board games, Ben mentioned VR not having expectations of genres or mechanics. That's one of the reasons I love board games. Each game is different enough that you have to sit down and listen to 5 to 15 mins of rules explanations before you start playing. Conversely, it's also the reason why a lot of people wouldn't want to learn to play new board games.

And no Kyle, average game reviews are increasing year after year:

6QRu5oV.jpg

Sorta related to more/different voices: the first Arabic website was just added to Metacritic, it's a 13-year old website (although it wasn't a professional website for half of that time).

Other quick thoughts:
  • Shantae is clearly sexualized creepy even if it's cute. Almost every humanoid thing in that game has the same body type and is in a bra or a crop top (including enemies). Weirdly enough I avoid games like Touhou more where it's less inherently creepy but I can smell a lot of creepiness around it.
  • I started playing Earthbound around the same time Blood did but played very little of it since I don't really play RPGs. I kinda wish I could get into solo streams so that I would watch it instead. Especially since I'm playing it as a precursor to everything it inspired (mainly Undertale but also Lisa).
  • Super Mario Maker is one of the biggest disappointments I had in myself. I bought the Wii U after it was dead to study level design and only ended up making a couple of tiny levels. I really hope a Switch version is coming, and if so I hope I don't do the same thing again.
Finally as someone who doesn't know him Ryan is great, and now I'm disappointed that he is just a guest :(
His impression of Bosman that went unnoticed was fantastic:

SXD3ttx.gif

UrbanRats

Finished FrameTrap.
Ryan was great, I wish he was one of the allies :(.

Also, Kyle equating sexual stuff with "creepy" was weird.
Also, why was Kyle so defensive about Mario? I do think Mario in a realistic setting looks gross and off putting, but it's not about being cynical, just what I consider to work well visually and thematically.

Overall, probably my favorite FrameTrap, loved it start to finish.

Auctopus

Also, why was Kyle so defensive about Mario? I do think Mario in a realistic setting looks gross and off putting, but it's not about being cynical, just what I consider to work well visually and thematically.

I think he was being defensive against the allusions people have made to this sort of thing...

tumblr_inline_o6qkykrcST1t6l38c_500.gif

Elyse on Frame Trap or Fiasconauts is never, ever, going to happen. Too much time.
Maybe she'll appear on an Easy Update again, something fast and loose, but nothing more.

I think we all need to move on from Elyse. She was absolutely fantastic at GT. Mandatory Update was hilarious, Pervince Tosscobble was everybody's hero. But that was then, this is now. She's gone, for good. To bigger things. The amount of views Funhaus gets compared to EZA is ridiculous. Not entirely sure why, but there we go.

Ryan Stevens was great on Frame Trap by the way.

Finished FrameTrap.
Ryan was great, I wish he was one of the allies :(.

Also, Kyle equating sexual stuff with "creepy" was weird.

Overall, probably my favorite FrameTrap, loved it start to finish.
Think anime body pillows in regards to the "is this a game for creeps?" question.

Axass

The whole Shantae discussion was actually surprisingly fine and balanced, far removed from the usual "everything is sexist" "nothing is sexist" radical arguments. I appreciated everyone's insight.

I don't think that Shantae is creepy at all, she's made to be cute by the devs, sure, but as Kyle said, there's nothing sexy in the games themselves. The atmosphere is just jolly and happy go lucky.

I also want to reiterate how Ryan is such an incredibly insightful and positive element, and I'm still only halfway.

And no Kyle, average game reviews are increasing year after year:

6QRu5oV.jpg

Sorta related to more/different voices: the first Arabic website was just added to Metacritic, it's a 13-year old website (although it wasn't a professional website for half of that time).
I'm not sure how this dataset was gotten, but this looks like a misleading way of approaching that discussion. First, there's an increase in game releases that makes this hard to quantify. Second, we've had threads on this before. Indie, smaller and budget-titles perhaps may be going up in scores. But your standard $60 release title (the kind of games Kyle was talking about) are indeed seeing drops in scores.

I'm not sure how this dataset was gotten, but this looks like a misleading way of approaching that discussion. First, there's an increase in game releases that makes this hard to quantify. Second, we've had threads on this before. Indie, smaller and budget-titles perhaps may be going up in scores. But your standard $60 release title (the kind of games Kyle was talking about) are indeed seeing drops in scores.

There's all way less retail shovelware and mid tier titles that dragged a lot of those years down as well. Those years include a lot of Move, Kinect, and Wii junk and a lot of licensed THQ nonsense.

Sweet I got a for Honor beta code. Will be cool to checkout for the first time and see if I want to keep my preorder. Also I wonder if I can join huber for one of his streams

It's gotten too long for my liking. I know a very enthusiastic section of our audience really does want that five-hour Frame Trap, but I think around 2.5 hours is the sweet spot for the show. Extra long episodes are okay sometimes, but not all the time.

I think part of the reason this episode is as long as it is has to do with never having a guest before and Caught in a Frame Trap, a game that I really love but I don't always know if it's worth the extra time it adds or if it blends well with the rest of the episode's tone.

Maybe it was just me but I kinda felt like the Caught in the Frame Trap game killed the conversation dead in this episode and then made it awkward when you tried to pick up where you left off. I didn't really notice it in previous episodes though, so I don't know what was so different this time.

Loved the long-cast, though it thankfully fell on a pretty light week for me. I'm not sure I'd want to see super long ones on a regular basis, I struggle to keep up with my podcasts as is, but every once in a while is cool.

Each time Brandon says "0.2: A Fragmentary Passage", it sounds like he's getting sicker of it, hahaha

Just imagine how many times he flubbed a title and had to redo it.

There's all way less retail shovelware and mid tier titles that dragged a lot of those years down as well. Those years include a lot of Move, Kinect, and Wii junk and a lot of licensed THQ nonsense.

And the vast majority of indie games don't get reviewed, especially the awful ones.

Sweet I got a for Honor beta code. Will be cool to checkout for the first time and see if I want to keep my preorder. Also I wonder if I can join huber for one of his streams
It is so much fun

We'll see how much staying power it has (sounds like the campaign stuff is basically filler, not surprising)

My only hesitance is that I already have multiple online games I balance. And there's a shit ton of single player experiences right now and in coming months. Still not sure if I'll be copping Nioh yet

I've read that there's been server issues so I hope that isn't the case with the final release. I've only played at PSX so I'll be trying during the beta as well

Burt

Did we have a good option this week? I voted Power Rangers because.. I saw the trailer the other day, I guess. The other ones seemed like a racing game, and one that I think had "Simulator" in the title -- and if it isn't one of those official Euro Truck/Farming Simulators, I'm pretty much immediately zonked out.

Stuff happens, not every game's a winner, life goes on. Stream was still enjoyable.

Auctopus

I know these Tuesday group streams are voted on but man some games should just not make the ballot

I'll admit I voted for Power Rangers and it was a pretty dull stream. But on paper, it seemed like a good stream game (might not have helped that Damiani immediately ragged on it). But yeah, easiest way to choose is t look up the game and vote, I feel like Power Rangers won 'cause it's Power Rangers.

El-Suave

I'm curious how things will play out with RE7 VR and Huber. He tweeted that he got a little motion sick. He probably shouldn't have jumped into the technology with this demanding game but instead develop some "VR legs" first with continous escalating use of some other titles. Those are definitely a thing and I hope that it doesn't sour the whole of VR for him.

wapplew

I'm curious how things will play out with RE7 VR and Huber. He tweeted that he got a little motion sick. He probably shouldn't have jumped into the technology with this demanding game but instead develop some "VR legs" first with continous escalating use of some other titles. Those are definitely a thing and I hope that it doesn't sour the whole of VR for him.

RE7 feel very comfortable for me but I use default setting with that 30 degree turn.
It's fucking scary even without any enemy, I have to play it half headset off just to get some real life sound to avoid full immersion.

Piichan

Banned
Man, all these accounts of how scary RE7 is in VR... I'm not sure if I should be excited or worried when I start playing the game tomorrow lol

Glass

Watching the Nintendo presentation again, I wish they'd put a clip of the Zelda trailer and release date reaction up as a video. I swear that reaction alone awoke a long lost love for Zelda and convinced me to buy the Switch alone.

UrbanRats

That's because a lot of creepy stuff is sexual, like bad fan service in anime.

Think anime body pillows in regards to the "is this a game for creeps?" question.
Nah, aside from the fact that of course, "creepy" is subjective, Kyle qualified that comment by saying that everyone's a creep at times, and that there's nothing wrong, etc... which seems to me like equating it with a more general sense of sexuality.

Mista Koo

I was replying to that statement in the most literal sense. But yes there are way too many factors included for direct comparison (amount and types of games released, percentage of games covered by reviews, etc).

Hey we don't get to pick what's voted on. That's on Kyle and he had 3 really uninteresting games. I wished he'd go for classics instead of forcing it to mostly new games

The least popular game (Moto Racer 4) at least had local multiplayer. Sure, some of the games aren't winners - but the community seems to like choosing games with the aim of making the Allies rage.

Kneefoil

The least popular game (Moto Racer 4) at least had local multiplayer. Sure, some of the games aren't winners - but the community seems to like choosing games with the aim of making the Allies rage.
I think in this time it was just a case of "I have nostalgia for Power Rangers, and the Allies probably do too." I was actually pretty shocked how close Firefighters came to winning.

Personally I was hoping for Moto Racer, but the moment I voted, what little hopes I had for it winning were immediately crushed when I saw how much the other two options were in the lead.

Umm... OK. I'll take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom