• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, if you're the kind of person that is going to bitch and moan that someone else got to play a game early because they live next to one of these street breaking stores when you don't, and even go so far as to want publishers to prevent it, ef off and stop being a selfish jerk.

Glad to hear Damiani go ham on the discussion.

Edit: wow that sure is one weeby email about the note dub. "This language I can't understand is far superior to the one I can" lol

What's so funny about that? If the English dub takes him out of the game, listening to VO he doesn't understand with English subtitles could easily be a better experience. I watch Japanese wrestling and while the big shows have an English commentary option, I never use it because they fucking suck and it takes me out of the matches. I prefer not understanding most of what the Japanese comms say but getting a feel of the match through their excitement over understanding what I'm hearing and hating it.

Anyway, great podcast. Loved Damiani's rant about stores breaking ship date.

I think Mario Kart, and now Pokemon Snap are the best group streams they've ever done. Nintendo games really work for them.

Overcooked > Mario Kart.

I thought the Japanese VO for Zelda was nice and English was total trash, not that big of a stretch to be upset about it when it's on the fucking cart you pay for. Can't even make the excuse of space.

Unrelated: Friends we are living in a wonderful time to play video games. Gravity Rush 2, RE7, and Yakuza are all amazing and so much amazing stuff is coming....soon.

wiibomb

glad to see damiani bring more hotakes for the podcast, he brings interesting points.

gotta say I'm not bothered much by the english dub in Zelda, because I think I'll be playing it in spanish as the latin american dub is utterly amazing (any latin gaf sould try and hear the trailer, it is glorious)

so far, out of the 3 languages I have heard (japanese, english and latin american) the english has been the weakest, but still enjoyable.

Chuck

Still without luck
I just don't understand how anyone can reasonably have an opinion of voice acting in a language they can't understand at all.

I just don't understand how anyone can reasonably have an opinion of voice acting in a language they can't understand at all.
The same way you can have a game like Gravity Rush deliver dialogue in a gibberish language with subtitles

The delivery of the dialogue and how the characters sound is arguably more important than the writing itself

You can have a mediocre script delivered in a fantastic way, whereas you can have an amazing script delivered poorly. That Zelda trailer sounded like a bad anime localization compared to the original's more convincing tone

There's something to be said about elitism when it comes to subs vs. dubs but dismissing the idea that someone would prefer to hear the performance in a non-native language is useless

Budi

What's even more odd to me is that people are judging the VO:s by few second clips that are out of context. "Most emotionally touched", wow. I mean I kinda understand being worried, but calling the VO trash by those clips just shows bias that isn't rooted in the actual performance. For personal example, I was bit worried by Andrew Garfield in Silence by the trailer (because of the accent). But reading the reviews, seems like he is doing maybe the best performance of his career. So we really should wait to hear more before making ourselves seem ridicilous with stupid hyperbole.

Damiani was on fire in this podcast, really enjoyed it.

Axass

First of all, voice acting is exactly that: acting with your voice. You don't need to understand a language to notice how well emotions are expressed through voice.

Moreover it's not about having an opinion on a language I don't understand at all: I understand Italian and English and I have an opinion on those, i.e. I don't like either dub. Italian dubs are excellent, as long as we talk movie dubs or old cartoons, not so much with video games and new animation. Also, while I'm perfectly fine with watching English and American series or movies, I find the vast majority of English dub attempts pretty forced and out of place.

So, I'm just going to go with the next best thing: the original Japanese dub. The fact that I'm not understanding what they're saying may even get to play a role as to why I'm enjoying it more, since I was okay with the old gibberish. I'm not gonna say it's without a doubt the best one, but I just prefer it and would like the option to have that dub with English subtitles, since everything's already on the disk anyway.

It would take Nintendo such little time, hope they patch that in.

I can say without a doubt this english dub of Tales of Berseria is terrible. Twitch chat has bad taste.

Yep, it's pretty bad.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the "don't understand" argument is weak.

Language cues are universal. You don't need to understand a language to be able to get emotional resonance out of it. There's a reason why games like Gravity Rush can use "fake" languages and still convey something to an audience.

Personally, I like having the option of language tracks for novelty. When I replay a game, it's fun to get a dose of something new via playing it in a different language. I also like having the option for multiple tracks because it allows people outside of some ridiculously self-centered Anglosphere to mix and match the language tracks they prefer. To that point, such an option is nice because it also allows people who find their localized tracks to be poor to immerse themselves in something else. I further like having the option because it allows people who want to learn pieces of a new language to do so. You can completely have a preference for multiple language tracks without ever delving into the "superior/artist's intent" can of worms.

No EZA group for the For Honor beta?
Hm? Several allies have been on Huber's for Honor stream so far

Edit: man for Honor is excellent. Thanks to huber for inviting me on the stream. We had blood, huber, ben all playing tonight. And Kyle potentially tomorrow. Also Vandenberge showed up in chat again and hung out the last hour and half.

Going back and listening to the pop tart/toaster strudel game, I'm really glad that Resident Evil VII ended up a lot better than everyone seemed to think it would. Now let's see what happens to Horizon.

wapplew

Going back and listening to the pop tart/toaster strudel game, I'm really glad that Resident Evil VII ended up a lot better than everyone seemed to think it would. Now let's see what happens to Horizon.

The quality of early 2017 game rush is insane!
Almost all of them at 80+ scores, even tales of get 4 stars. Way to start the year with a bang.

Karu

After being pretty down on Horizon the last couple of month, I'm kinda looking forward to it again. Will be a Day One purchase as of now. No more trailers, though. Didn't watch the cinematic one either.

Still cruising through GR2. Maybe will buy Yakuza tomorrow. Decided to pass on REVII and KH2.8 for now. In regards to the later - I will wait for the 1.5/2.5 collection - only ever played the beginning bits of 1 and half of the DS game.

For Honor will maybe be Day One. And Nioh... that's the one game where I am rather sceptical whether or not I will jump on board day one...

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
For Honor looks so sick. I kind of already made peace of only getting it later but the stream yesterday oh man it looks so fun. If I had a group to play it with I think I might shift around some games for it. Maybe I should start on snaketonguing some people to get it.

Reminds me I should probably have my wife subscribe, and my alternate gmail profile sub to the YouTube channel as well.

Talked to a coworker last night who is going to be checking out them as well. Mostly listens to IGN and KF podcasts.

Ultimadrago

Still watching the Frame Trap over a few days and man, I love Bosman, but I hate when he says stuff like, "These are two 10 out of 10 games, easily." (In relation to the upcoming Zelda and Mario).

Like, what are you talking about?

wiibomb

Still watching the Frame Trap over a few days and man, I love Bosman, but I hate when he says stuff like, "These are two 10 out of 10 games, easily." (In relation to the upcoming Zelda and Mario).

this is a typical Bosman quote, you don't have to take it seriously, he just thinks the games will be awesome, he has the faith in them, as much others do, like me.

He doesn't actually think it will be 10 across the board, he thinks they will be really good game, he has the faith in them.

this is the same as saying The Last Guardian and Final Fantasy XV being "One of the Greats!"

ilium

Can we do like a monthly reminder for the amazon prime twitch sub?
I forgot to renew mine the last 2 months or so :/

Oh man, Jones is my hero. I was just rewatching the E3 2016- PS Conference and he mentioned wanting to see a new Tenchu as one of his wildest E3 dreams.

God, I freaking loved Tenchu. I think that's why I actually like Nioh so much.

wiibomb

Can we do like a monthly reminder for the amazon prime twitch sub?
I forgot to renew mine the last 2 months or so :/

I was thinking the exact same thing.. I forgot to renew it for some days on the past few months and that is costing about 1 month in delays by summing all days, I need a reminder.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I've been getting very little work done today cause I've just been randomly watching other For Honor streams. That game man. I'll vote for it to become one of the monthly tournament games.

Also probably going to get it anyway on release I don't even know why I won't be able to play it >_<. But that game just looks too good to skip/wait on.

Now I just don't know if my machine can handle it in a way where it's enjoyable to play, might have to go for ps4. Anyone knows if it has crossplay between consoles and pc?

Budi

Now I just don't know if my machine can handle it in a way where it's enjoyable to play, might have to go for ps4.

Works great on my GTX 970, Intel Xeon E3-1220 and 8gb ram. Using the extreme preset.

Edit: Though when I launched the game for the first time, there was a warning for some reason that game might not run well. But it said the same for my friend with 1080. And I've heard rumours about open beta before launch, so you could try it out then. And there are Gaffers with spare invites to the current beta I think.

i mean did you see those trailers for each game tho

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Works great on my GTX 970, Intel Xeon E3-1220 and 8gb ram. Using the extreme preset.

Edit: Though when I launched the game for the first time, there was a warning for some reason that game might not run well. But it said the same for my friend with 1080. And I've heard rumours about open beta before launch, so you could try it out then. And there are Gaffers with spare invites to the current beta I think.

Yeah my PC is a bit older than that xD still running a Radeon 6800.

I tend to upgrade my PC around new Elder Scrolls releases cause that's generally the point where games don't begin to run anymore.

Budi

Aaaw, was hoping that Ryan Stevens would had been in this :D But looks like a great lineup even without a special guest.

Yeah my PC is a bit older than that xD still running a Radeon 6800.

I tend to upgrade my PC around new Elder Scrolls releases cause that's generally the point where games don't begin to run anymore.

Oh, gotcha! Then the PS4 would be a safer bet. :) For Honor is that kind of game where you would be in a big disadvantage with bad perfomance I think.

WarRock

First of all, voice acting is exactly that: acting with your voice. You don't need to understand a language to notice how well emotions are expressed through voice.
I always find this argument fascinating. I'm not a native English speaker, and time and time again I see Americans complaining about English dubs that my friends find great. Equally, I got a couple of friends who speak Japanese and some dubs that they find really run off the mill get praises from others.

I think that not being fluent in a language warps a lot your perception of voice acting, but what do I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom