• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anime podcast was great!

Glad to see Hellsing on the list, really loved that series. So stylish! That music!
Both the original anime and the more recent OVA are fantastic.

Mista Koo

I did want this to be a more general anime podcast, but I think this format plays more to their strengths.

I definitely agree with this. The second you put up something like Naruto, Bleach or One Piece up, it's going to wreck any other competition. I know One Piece will be an inevitability though because of Brad so maybe shows you know you are absolutely going to discuss just don't go in the poll?
Yup. I didn't vote for Jojo because I knew it had big support. I might not vote for Hunter X Hunter for the same reason.

Kneefoil

Would a JoJo episode only be about the anime, or will it also include discussion about parts that haven't been adapted yet? I'm personally following JoJo in anime time, so I'm trying to avoid manga discussion.

Nevertheless, I voted for Code Geass, and I don't think my vote is going to change either way.
The E3 Bethesda conference video has no audio all of the sudden.
Seems like it. Blood commented on the video though: apparently it's because of some song used in Mafia 3. Thankfully it still has audio on Twitch.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Ben, Brad,
may I ask if you plan on putting series for vote up again if it deserves an update again given that many series your going to talk about are ongoing series?
Like I don't want to vote for JoJo now if that means that it's going to be one and done. Especially when the series hasn't gotten to my favorite part yet when it comes to the anime.
--------------------
Finished the Berserk part. Loved it wish we could have gotten more into some of the many characters in Berserk beyond Guts, Casca and Griffith.
My two cents on the series:

The thing I like most about Berserk and the thing that makes it at the same time so incredibly appalling to read is how it plays around with humanity so well.
I think this is such a remarkable thing given that we live in a media landscape that kind of desensitizes people to most bad things that happen in stories.
It's like in so many series when someone gets killed or has to live through tragedy it has become very hard for me not to just move on emotionally at a quick pace because things are generally so much more surface level.

What makes Berserk so incredibly haunting is the way it constantly tears away and stirs your feelings and thoughts on the essence of what it means to be human.
And part what makes it so fascinating also is the way Miura leverages manga as a partly visual medium to display these aspects of humanity in contrasting ways in his artwork. The most apparent one is the duality between Griffith and Guts and how their appearance are so diametrically opposed to their own state of humanity and how at any moment it switches around. Griffith with his angelic appearance but also his Femto one. Guts in his small moments of either rest or happiness where he "reconnects" with his humanity and just displays human emotion again and his Berserker form or moments of pure rage. It's so amazing how Miura manages to display these things and organically shifts them around from moment to moment.

And then of course how Miura represent this rich spectrum of "humanity" within his story and the way lines are blurred for many of the characters that commit such unbelievably atrocious things. Like one of the things that gets to me are the moments where I'm being taken with Griffith again kind of getting swept by the world he seems to aim to create and his charisma and it makes you feel so guilty because of the things he's done. Then there is Farnesse who's arc has been one of redemption and finding her humanity by learning to care for other people while having to take care of Casca.
Then we have the many apostles who are characters that have disconnected themselves from their humanity but around Griffith who may in a way be the most inhuman of them all they seem to regain some of that humanity back. With that the series kind of constantly challenges you on questions of where the point is of where you just lose what makes you human is. Another example of this is the story with Guts encountering the Count who in the end didn't manage to sacrifice his daughter despite disconnecting himself from part of his humanity in his apostle transformation.
---------------------------------------------
Shit is getting to long now and my thoughts grow more and more scattershot. I'll try to reflect on the show to drop some feedback later but for now I want to thank you two for doing the anime show. Really enjoy it and am excited for it to get better especially when I think about how so many other things have become better at EZA(the main podcast and frame trap have improved their flow so much for example since they started out).

Tregard

Soothsayer
Oooh. Maybe he could be the "host" of a Jackbox Games' stream. Neat thing with many of the recent games (especially Drawful 2 and Quiplash 2 (in The Jackbox Party Pack 3) is the fact that you can create custom games with custom prompts. What happens is, the game generates a special room code for the game and (at least with Quiplash 2) you can create up to 64 prompts for a single game. When completed, you can share the code with people.

This is also a wonderful idea. He'd just need a sparkly suit and a little telescoping microphone

cm osi

i keep forgetting, is frametrap this week or the next?

starting the anime pod, choosing berserk is tricky because there's an abyss between the manga and the anime. let's see

i voted for jojo but oh boy if it win they'll probably have to split it in at least 2 episodes if they want to cover the manga

timmyp53

Where's that come from? February is even Don't month where on the group stream, they are going to debut a new Don video live every Tuesday starting with a new series of Don's Discount Gaming.

People on YouTube comments said he's going to funhaus.

Karu

Waiting for Ben's Nioh-Review, I stopped by IGN to watch their video and the one conclusion I drew was this... Their player still sucks. Oh IGN. *schockschock*

Games looks smoooooth tho. Still debating. Yakuza 0 just too big right now...

Edit: Now that I check the Yt comments to scavenge for panic-inducing Don-comments; one thing about the last group stream: Doing the subscriber song repeatedly during certain segments like Dinorama and presents was rather painful and certainly broke the flow at times...

Anime podcast is great, love the bits of footage sprinkled throughout

I haven't seen the movies but I kind of disagree that The Golden Age is the best way to gauge interest in the rest of the story. Obviously it's the important arc that sets up everything, but while reading the manga I was drawn to the more horror/demon slaying stuff from the first volume or two. I honestly found the Golden Age stuff a slog for a good majority of it

Granted, I imagine the movies don't waste a ton of time going over battlefield tactics and characters you don't even know but yeah.....at a certain point I was really ready for some demons

Then you get to Lost Children and it's like oh shit here we go. I haven't gotten to the Berserk armor yet (I've read up to I think volume 22, but I own through 28) but so far Lost Children and the very first Black Swordsman arc in volumes 1 and 2 are my favorites. Darkly humorous, depressing, brutal perfection.

I considered ordering Nioh to be shipped from Best Buy but wasn't sold

Then once again I saw someone comment "can't wait for people to realize they're playing a new Demon's Souls" and I sighed, and hit preorder for store pickup

muteki

Liked the Anime show even though I have seen/read nothing of Berserk. Looking forward to more.

Please Ben watch Macross so we can eventually get a Macross 7 show.

-Horizon-

Surprised at the Watamote recommendation.

It wasn't my cup of tea when I watched it but it was ok and I can see its good points.

Looking forward to the next episode.

I liked the anime podcast, but smh that One Piece isn't a voting option. Does Ben have to get through six or seven seasons first?

Where that Nioh review at?

I liked the anime podcast, but smh that One Piece isn't a voting option. Does Ben have to get through six or seven seasons first?

Where that Nioh review at?
I mean it's also stuff that they just want to talk about

Honestly I didn't even vote because I don't know anything about majority of those titles. I imagine JoJo will win because it's become a popular thing amongst EZA but I kind of agree with the sentiment that they already talk about JoJo/Naruto a lot and I'd rather see them get into other stuff. (Still, none have been covered in the way that the new podcast covers anime)

Budi

This show will get me back to watching some anime I think. Haven't watched anything in years. I think Baccano is the latest one I've seen. I wan't to see how this show is, so I'll finish Berserk (only seen first episode) before watching it.

I mean it's also stuff that they just want to talk about

Honestly I didn't even vote because I don't know anything about majority of those titles. I imagine JoJo will win because it's become a popular thing amongst EZA but I kind of agree with the sentiment that they already talk about JoJo/Naruto a lot and I'd rather see them get into other stuff. (Still, none have been covered in the way that the new podcast covers anime)
Why wouldn't they want to talk about One Piece? :p

Dineren

Banned
Just got around to watching Huber's Dragon Quest VIII stream from last year and it was pretty impressive how he managed to mash his way to the title screen without saving after not having saved for like an hour.

Why wouldn't they want to talk about One Piece? :p

As I explained in the post above, it just wasn't in this particular poll. We're pulling from a master list. Of course One Piece is on that list. It will get its day. We want to talk about One Piece.

Every spare second is being spent on the Nioh review, but I'm not going to rush it for the sake of getting it up a bit sooner. It's huge. I want to thoroughly explore it and talk about all of the different elements.

I get being frustrated, but sometimes it feels like people aren't considering that there are very valid reasons for why things are happening the way they are.

This is a little disappointing. Whatever score Nioh gets is because of its quality, not where it came from.
Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa.....whoa.

Omega vs. Okada at Wrestle Kingdom 11 this year got 6 stars from famous wrestling journalist Dave Meltzer, (who rates on a 5 star scale). The joke is generally he gives extra stars to matches at the Tokyo Dome

Not at all a shot at you, haha

ootable_zpsjnscbgls.gif

Icolin

Banned
So a new episode of Frame Trap is coming today, right? Hopefully it's centred around RE7 and Nioh. Both are amazing amazing games, and I'm eager to find out what the Allies have to say about them, especially Ben.

Omega vs. Okada at Wrestle Kingdom 11 this year got 6 stars from famous wrestling journalist Dave Meltzer, (who rates on a 5 star scale). The joke is generally he gives extra stars to matches at the Tokyo Dome

ootable_zpsjnscbgls.gif

Oh man! I thought you were implying something you totally weren't. I feel bad. :/

I think the last two days have just been stressful and I'm easily agitated at the moment.

(At some point, when it's a little less busy, I want Huber to show me the way of wrestling)

EDIT: Frame Trap is exporting. It still needs to be uploaded and processed, so it likely won't be ready until late afternoon/early evening. Games discussed: RE7, Nioh, Fire Emblem Heroes, Ghost Recon Wildlands, For Honor, Tales of Berseria, and Gravity Rush 2.

It's all good! Haha

WWE can be hit or miss (usually miss) but I think you'd dig the spectacle of New Japan. Much more fun product, less watering down for branding/mass appeal

Oh shit I totally forgot today was a Frame Trap day. That's the good thing about a podcast every two weeks, I always forget when we're getting one and it's such a pleasant surprise.

Budi

Frame Trap is exporting. It still needs to be uploaded and processed, so it likely won't be ready until late afternoon/early evening. Games discussed: RE7, Nioh, Fire Emblem Heroes, Ghost Recon Wildlands, For Honor, Tales of Berseria, and Gravity Rush 2.

Thanks for this teaser! Really looking forward to For Honor and Ghost Recon talk since I've also played both betas. I'm pretty much sold on For Honor (hopefully the campaign wont be utterly disappointing) but Ghost Recont seems like a 3 star game. Still had fun even with that when playing with a friend.

Edit: Still need to finish watching VOD of the Stream you did with Huber on For Honor. Seems like you guys enjoyed it too.

Oh man! I thought you were implying something you totally weren't. I feel bad. :/

I think the last two days have just been stressful and I'm easily agitated at the moment.

(At some point, when it's a little less busy, I want Huber to show me the way of wrestling)

EDIT: Frame Trap is exporting. It still needs to be uploaded and processed, so it likely won't be ready until late afternoon/early evening. Games discussed: RE7, Nioh, Fire Emblem Heroes, Ghost Recon Wildlands, For Honor, Tales of Berseria, and Gravity Rush 2.

Sounds like a great frametrap, looking forward to it.

--

Really enjoyed the anime podcast. Especially the "fan of souls? we're friends now" moment.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Jojo is definitely going to win I feel like for the next cast. Hope they can have Brandon guest on it for Jojo and of course Kyle unless the show intends to stay as Brad and Ben. Would have loved to see Naruto win cause it's finished despite actually falling out of love with the series over the years(cause it felt like to me that Kishimoto was a bit overeager to finish things up maybe rushing it a little towards the end).
Still have a very soft place for it cause I grew up with the series.

Just started with the EZAnime podcast. Pleasantly surprised by the runtime. 

As someone who's familiar with Berserk (read the manga), Brad and Ben are doing a great job with describing the series. It's really not that easy to put into words.

Something I'm wondering about, as I'm not that far into the episode yet, but I thought Brad was the host of the podcast?

As I explained in the post above, it just wasn't in this particular poll. We're pulling from a master list. Of course One Piece is on that list. It will get its day. We want to talk about One Piece.

Every spare second is being spent on the Nioh review, but I'm not going to rush it for the sake of getting it up a bit sooner. It's huge. I want to thoroughly explore it and talk about all of the different elements.

I get being frustrated, but sometimes it feels like people aren't considering that there are very valid reasons for why things are happening the way they are.
I'm just yanking your chain Ben, can't wait to see what you've been up to! Haven't been disappointed yet. Hope the pressure isn't messing with your enjoyment of the game.

You should absolutely check out New Japan at some point, Ben. It's a very sports-like promotion where wins and losses matter and storylines are minimalistic but realistic at the same time and they do a tremendous job of telling stories in their matches (like the other night, Okada made a dramatic come-from-behind victory over Suzuki). It's a far cry from WWE, where there's a lot of pageantry and flash but honestly, everything just seems pointless and like they're going through the motions for 8 months of the year (and even the remaining 4 months hasn't been great the last few years). Like, they occasionally come up with something great but from my experience, it'll only last a month at most before they screw it up. WWE is a great promotion to watch if you like being constantly disappointed.

Not sure if Huber's the guy to show you this though, I don't think he's watched anything outside of WWE. Total casual, that guy. :p

Looking forward to Frame Trap, that's a great lineup of games.

Hasney

You should absolutely check out New Japan at some point, Ben. It's a very sports-like promotion where wins and losses matter and storylines are minimalistic but realistic at the same time and they do a tremendous job of telling stories in their matches (like the other night, Okada made a dramatic come-from-behind victory over Suzuki). It's a far cry from WWE, where there's a lot of pageantry and flash but honestly, everything just seems pointless and like they're going through the motions for 8 months of the year (and even the remaining 4 months hasn't been great the last few years). Like, they occasionally come up with something great but from my experience, it'll only last a month at most before they screw it up. WWE is a great promotion to watch if you like being constantly disappointed.

Not sure if Huber's the guy to show you this though, I don't think he's watched anything outside of WWE. Total casual, that guy. :p

Looking forward to Frame Trap, that's a great lineup of games.

I'm sure I saw Huber off hand mention Wrestle Kingdom at some point somewhere on a stream, so not a total casual!

But yeah, let Huber talk you through some older stuff something. Right now, the only people watching WWE are those that are addicted... I managed to stop watching the 3 hour weekly Raw at least.

luchadork

I'm sure I saw Huber off hand mention Wrestle Kingdom at some point somewhere on a stream, so not a total casual!

But yeah, let Huber talk you through some older stuff something. Right now, the only people watching WWE are those that are addicted... I managed to stop watching the 3 hour weekly Raw at least.

smackdown is great right now. they moved the head creative up from nxt. the quality has improved dramatically.

ShadyK54

ootable_zpsjnscbgls.gif

Oooooh, this match. This match.

Regarding EZAnime: I really enjoyed it! I like the format & the hosting duo of Ben and Brad. Super good stuff! The wait between episodes will be rough for someone like me who clamors for things right away, though. :p Can't wait for more episodes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom