• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiibomb

4RKHaDm.gif

... No.

this gif... ohhh this gif not only cracks me up everytime, it makes me sad there are not anymore final bosman

Whoops. I corrected my original post. Sorry about that! I think what happened was I remembered the EZA launch trailer and the tease at the end with the Gamecube Wind Waker box and merged that with the score.

cm osi

Kyle killed it unceremoniously on a whim. Now it lies still and abandoned on the cold table, replaced by "goals".

lol it's like he killed it just to troll the people who sent him those tickets.
i understand the allies always forget to use it (or they don't have argument to use it), but it still was a nice addition. hope it returns

HeavenlyE

Anyone else notice the almost complete disappearance of persuasion/deception/intimidation rolls in TTE, at points it feels more like fiasco than dungeons and dragons honestly. Or maybe they were never there and I've just now noticed lol

Anyway, not much of a complaint just something that was slightly bothering me

LycanXIII

Anyone else notice the almost complete disappearance of persuasion/deception/intimidation rolls in TTE, at points it feels more like fiasco than dungeons and dragons honestly. Or maybe they were never there and I've just now noticed lol

Anyway, not much of a complaint just something that was slightly bothering me

I'm like 20 episodes behind, but I think it's because of their adventure. From what I've seen, there hasn't really been many chances for it. I just want to see more combat from them, more rolling, less walking.

Pappasman

Jeeeeez that Zelda DLC question

I understood where the author of the email was coming from. I was really confused by the intensity of the discussion. I’m mean, positive or negative, I don’t think this DLC announcement warranted that intensity of reaction it received. It’s not some super amazing announcement, but isn’t the worst thing in the world either. It’s considerably cheaper than a lot of season passes and seems to offer a lot of value when all the content is released. You are not forced to buy it at launch, or any time at all. The idea that it's content cut from the game and the game isn’t done also came up and doesn’t have much merit in my opinion, especially because the actual DLC content will be released months after the game went gold. It seems even sillier when one of the last big games released, RE7, had 2 DLC packs release within a month of the game for more than $20, yet I haven’t seen anyone freak out about that.

It’s like some weird Nintendo purity test where they can’t have DLC or do season passes because they never did it before (even though they have, multiple times) and Nintendo must be pure. Even the conversation on last week’s podcast on this topic was weak and ended with them saying the announcement would have been better if the DLC had a title and a trailer with character art of a Goron. Because that would have been so much better.

It’s fine to not like it (the Switch shirt is definitely stupid), but I find it hard to get so worked up about this DLC model when it has become business as usual in the industry. Season passes are not great, you should never pay for a promise, but we’ve done this song and dance before and I don’t know why it becomes news again when Nintendo does it.

WarRock

When we are getting a 50 minutes, in depth discussion with Bosman, Brad and Huber about the Switch John Cena event?

@Hall of the Greats
Part EZA shenanigans, part group stream, part in depth discussion. Entertaining as hell!
My suggestions and comments:

- more than 3 minutes for QA, seriously, and maybe add some mandatory, random questions, in the vein of the multiple types of bets for the bet specials?
- a "runner up" award or similar, for games that may not be one of the greats (yet?), but the Allies still want to recognize one that day
- Don is the best. I had similar experiences playing Monster Hunter (Freedom Unite) for the firs time - I think it took me almost 30h to actually start playing it. I was exploring, carving meat and mining, man.
- everybody reactions to it was great too
- no mass inductions, it takes the fun out of it (and IMO the point is having the statements and discussions, and not giving imaginary awards)
- I keep trying to get into MML and I can't, specially thanks to how slow/unsatisfying it feels to control Megaman (something that is totally fixed in MML2, though I haven't gone through it too), one day though... It's also worth mentioning that a lot of Kyle said about it is exactly how I feel about a lot of other not so popular games. Including the "you'll get used to it" argument!
- Brandon was quick to ask about nominating MML before MM2 (or 3). People, stop thinking that MM2 is the best one :V
- Not sure I agree with him on Bloodborne lore/story "not being there" for him. You could say the same about the gameplay aspect of various games, and it's hardly a flaw. For instance, I can't grasp the depth or the nuances of RTSes, is that a problem with the games/genre themselves? Nope, it's just that me and them don't click.
- People saying that MGS looks ugly or doesn't play well: smh
- Hope we eventually get a similar setup to this but for specific genres

StoveOven

Banned
On the topic of the Hall of Greats, I think it would be interesting if they tried doing it like the MLB Hall of Fame. What happens there is every voter votes yes or no for each player on the ballot. If a player gets a certain percentage of yes votes (75% in the MLB's case), they get in. If they don't pass a certain threshold (5%), they can't appear on the ballot again. EZA would probably have to tweak the percentages to avoid inducting every game every time, but this would solve a lot of the potential problems of people bringing up games every time that never get more than a few votes as well as the problem of something like having to split a tie between two games that should obviously be in the Hall of Greats. Right now, assuming Super Metroid wins, I think it would be weird both if SF2 was nominated again next time and if it wasn't. It should seem obvious to bring back a game that was so close, but I also worry about people feeling obligated to vote for it next time and having the only real competition be over the 2nd game to get in.

TLDR; I think the Hall of Greats could benefit from games just having to pass a certain vote threshold to get in and not arbitrarily limiting it to 2 games every time.

I understood where the author of the email was coming from. I was really confused by the intensity of the discussion. I’m mean, positive or negative, I don’t think this DLC announcement warranted that intensity of reaction it received. It’s not some super amazing announcement, but isn’t the worst thing in the world either. It’s considerably cheaper than a lot of season passes and seems to offer a lot of value when all the content is released. You are not forced to buy it at launch, or any time at all. The idea that it's content cut from the game and the game isn’t done also came up and doesn’t have much merit in my opinion, especially because the actual DLC content will be released months after the game went gold. It seems even sillier when one of the last big games released, RE7, had 2 DLC packs release within a month of the game for more than $20, yet I haven’t seen anyone freak out about that.

It’s like some weird Nintendo purity test where they can’t have DLC or do season passes because they never did it before (even though they have, multiple times) and Nintendo must be pure. Even the conversation on last week’s podcast on this topic was weak and ended with them saying the announcement would have been better if the DLC had a title and a trailer with character art of a Goron. Because that would have been so much better.

It’s fine to not like it (the Switch shirt is definitely stupid), but I find it hard to get so worked up about this DLC model when it has become business as usual in the industry. Season passes are not great, you should never pay for a promise, but we’ve done this song and dance before and I don’t know why it becomes news again when Nintendo does it.
Nintendo (for better and worse) operates in their own bubble away from the rest of the industry. When they announce something that's "business as usual" it's like ok, are you going to actually deliver on the sort of thing people expect from a season pass or are you going to do some dumb weird Nintendo thing

The vagueness and lack of prior examples from Nintendo (Mario Kart 8 does not count) makes it hard to really be positive about it. Maybe it doesn't necessarily warrant strong negativity right out of the gate but the fact is that their first two "packs" are complete nonsense including a Switch shirt, Hard Mode, and a dumb challenge dungeon (the only thing really warranting the title of "new content") while the actual story expansion won't release until the Winter

I get it. I think people freaking out about things like YOU SHOULD NEVER PRE-ORDER EVER, ANTI-CONSUMER should chill. But seeing Nintendo classify dumb things as premium bullet points gives the vibe that the vague "story expansion" won't be anything major either. It's obviously assuming, but all people can do is speculate based on what they're told

mishakoz

So, here's the thing. Nintendo is super late to the party with DLC, even with MK8, and thus they have a lot to prove. After all, they have next to no track record and none with Zelda. Here's what we know (and i try my best not to add my opinion on any of this):

1) There is very little description for each part of the DLC. We aren't even sure what hard mode is, whats in the other chests, or what the "unique story" will be
2) You can't buy them individually. It means that they know that each part of the DLC may not be "sellable" on its own merit, so they are bundling it all together.
3) Elements of this DLC has been included in Zelda games before, such as the Cave of Trials.
4) There have been large cuts to Zelda games before. Wind Waker had major cuts, so a concern is valid that they may be doing what they couldnt do for Wind waker, saving an unfinished dungeon to finish in the DLC
5) No one is asking Nintendo to be pure, but even they are trying to be "different" by calling it an extended pass instead of a season pass. They are trying to distance themselves from the stereotype that comes with Season pass instead of calling a spade a spade.

So with all we know, and with all we dont know, its so hard for myself and many other to champion this as a good thing. Nintendo needs to impress upon how this is a good thing for us instead of a thing that's meant to make more money, because with everything, I can only see it as the latter. It doesnt even sound like they are excited about their own DLC. Remember how they talked about breath of the wild? It was "imagine the possibilities. Those mountains? You can go there" and with the DLC its a bullet point on a power point presentation like we are some investors. The nail in the coffin for me is that it isnt a part of the Master edition.

So, here's the thing. Nintendo is super late to the party with DLC, even with MK8, and thus they have a lot to prove. After all, they have next to no track record and none with Zelda. Here's what we know (and i try my best not to add my opinion on any of this):

1) There is very little description for each part of the DLC. We aren't even sure what hard mode is, whats in the other chests, or what the "unique story" will be
2) You can't buy them individually. It means that they know that each part of the DLC may not be "sellable" on its own merit, so they are bundling it all together.
3) Elements of this DLC has been included in Zelda games before, such as the Cave of Trials.
4) There have been large cuts to Zelda games before. Wind Waker had major cuts, so a concern is valid that they may be doing what they couldnt do for Wind waker, saving an unfinished dungeon to finish in the DLC
5) No one is asking Nintendo to be pure, but even they are trying to be "different" by calling it an extended pass instead of a season pass. They are trying to distance themselves from the stereotype that comes with Season pass instead of calling a spade a spade.

So with all we know, and with all we dont know, its so hard for myself and many other to champion this as a good thing. Nintendo needs to impress upon how this is a good thing for us instead of a thing that's meant to make more money, because with everything, I can only see it as the latter. It doesnt even sound like they are excited about their own DLC. Remember how they talked about breath of the wild? It was "imagine the possibilities. Those mountains? You can go there" and with the DLC its a bullet point on a power point presentation like we are some investors. The nail in the coffin for me is that it isnt a part of the Master edition.
For what it's worth, the witcher 3 also used the expansion pass term. However they are very in tune with the cynical side of the market and told people that they really didn't need to buy it if they wanted to wait and see.

I don't think people should hold the vagueness against it though. There are plenty of passes sold when the devs don't even know as much about the new content as we know of Zelda. I really have no fear that this is anything that was meant to be in the main game. Don't feel it's worth it? then don't buy it or wait to see if it's something you want.

RiggyRob

Nintendo (for better and worse) operates in their own bubble away from the rest of the industry. When they announce something that's "business as usual" it's like ok, are you going to actually deliver on the sort of thing people expect from a season pass or are you going to do some dumb weird Nintendo thing

The vagueness and lack of prior examples from Nintendo (Mario Kart 8 does not count) makes it hard to really be positive about it. Maybe it doesn't necessarily warrant strong negativity right out of the gate but the fact is that their first two "packs" are complete nonsense including a Switch shirt, Hard Mode, and a dumb challenge dungeon (the only thing really warranting the title of "new content") while the actual story expansion won't release until the Winter

I get it. I think people freaking out about things like YOU SHOULD NEVER PRE-ORDER EVER, ANTI-CONSUMER should chill. But seeing Nintendo classify dumb things as premium bullet points gives the vibe that the vague "story expansion" won't be anything major either. It's obviously assuming, but all people can do is speculate based on what they're told

y tho

Hyrule Warriors, Smash, Fire Emblem, New Super Mario Bros., Pikmin 3 and Mario Kart 8 all got paid DLC with varying levels of 'fairness' in regards to their pricing, and I think there's enough evidence to suggest the Zelda season pass will be average to good in terms of content.

dickroach

re: the pod
aww none of them remembered NSMBU. really really good game. I feel bad for any Nintendo fan who never got a chance to play it. by far the best NSMB game, and by extension the best 2D Mario since SMW.

the Wii U's legacy will be mighty.
NSBMU - best 2D Mario since SMW
Mario 3D World - best 3D Mario since 64
DKC: TF - best DKC since 2
Yoshi's Woolly World - best Yoshi game since the first one
Mario Kart 8 - maybe the best Mario Kart
Smash 4
Splatoon
Mario Maker
Bayonetta 2
Wonderful 101
Pikmin 3
Xenoblade X
a motherfucking Zelda Dynasty Warriors game

the Dreamcast is looked back on so fondly now, and the Wii U shits all over it.

Pappasman

So, here's the thing. Nintendo is super late to the party with DLC, even with MK8, and thus they have a lot to prove. After all, they have next to no track record and none with Zelda.

They do have a track record with DLC though. They do. They've been offering DLC for their games for years. Even with Zelda being left out, unless you count Hyrule Warriors.

Here's what we know (and i try my best not to add my opinion on any of this):

I mostly agree with you here except for points 4 and 5. I don't think its fair to make claims about finished/unfinished until the game is out. If it's super clear the DLC was intended for the retail game I will be right there with you complaining about it. Also expansion pass vs. season pass is a meaningless distinction that has no bearing or impact on anything. I don't see how the wording "trying to be different" has any effect on anything.

I am also not championing this as a good thing. But like I said in my original post, don't buy it if you don't like it.

mishakoz

For what it's worth, the witcher 3 also used the expansion pass term. However they are very in tune with the cynical side of the market and told people that they really didn't need to buy it if they wanted to wait and see.

I don't think people should hold the vagueness against it though. There are plenty of passes sold when the devs don't even know as much about the new content as we know of Zelda. I really have no fear that this is anything that was meant to be in the main game. Don't feel it's worth it? then don't buy it or wait to see if it's something you want.

Oh hey Blood,

I agree that I doubt its cut content. Even then thats such a broad term, it may be dungeon that was concepted at one point but never actually in production, I do not think that it was something already in production.

But I disagree about the vagueness. Maybe its not fair but I think Nintendo is being too vague in general right now, about the Switch and the UI, about the games on the horizon, Virtual console, streaming apps, and a whole mess of other things.

I think the vagueness is hurting them. Yeah, Im not buying this DLC till pack 3 comes out and I can judge for myself, but Im not evaluating that. Im looking at if this is a good thing for Nintendo and the Zelda franchise and I do not think so.

y tho

Hyrule Warriors, Smash, Fire Emblem, New Super Mario Bros., Pikmin 3 and Mario Kart 8 all got paid DLC with varying levels of 'fairness' in regards to their pricing, and I think there's enough evidence to suggest the Zelda season pass will be average to good in terms of content.
Mario Kart 8: We are going to release 2 packs of 4 new tracks each with 2 new characters and vehicles, buy now and you get colored yoshis

Smash: Here is a fighter you can buy and a stage

None of those can compare to the Zelda situation (a year long rollout plan for a big AAA open world game)

I don't think it's so much the price that's the issue, it's the fact that no one actually knows what the story thing is and seeing it in a list with a bunch of "who cares/should just be in the game" items makes the package appear bloated and overpriced. Most people probably only care about that one bullet point

I'm not particularly outraged about it (it's 20 bucks, if you like the game buy it) but this has been my take on it which aligns with a lot of people's feelings and concerns

Servbot24

Banned
aww none of them remembered NSMBU. really really good game. I feel bad for any Nintendo fan who never got a chance to play it. by far the best NSMB game, and by extension the best 2D Mario since SMW.

Smash 4
Splatoon
Mario Maker
Bayonetta 2
Wonderful 101
Pikmin 3
Xenoblade X

Dreamcast sucks. Then and now.

Wii U is a good console if you like every single game that Nintendo makes. I like about 2/3rds the games they make, which makes it a very frustrating console.

dickroach

oh yeah, totally frustrating. the lack ofgames was infuriating/laughable, but there's enough games on it where it'll be looked back on more than fondly 10-15-20 years from now.
when you think of how great the system like the Genesis or N64 was now, you think of maybe like 5 games.

Oh hey Blood,

I agree that I doubt its cut content. Even then thats such a broad term, it may be dungeon that was concepted at one point but never actually in production, I do not think that it was something already in production.

But I disagree about the vagueness. Maybe its not fair but I think Nintendo is being too vague in general right now, about the Switch and the UI, about the games on the horizon, Virtual console, streaming apps, and a whole mess of other things.

I think the vagueness is hurting them. Yeah, Im not buying this DLC till pack 3 comes out and I can judge for myself, but Im not evaluating that. Im looking at if this is a good thing for Nintendo and the Zelda franchise and I do not think so.
Oh I am referring to the pass specifically. They've really laid out the basics of what the pass will get you. The rest could either be spoilers or is just too early to say much about.

Other things like accounts, virtual console, etc. definitely shouldn't be such mysteries right now.

I got a refurbished Wii U for $200 from Nintendo, no complaints. Bought it right after the excellent E3 2014 to play Mario Kart 8 (worth buying the console for imo). What was frustrating for me was just silence on a lot of titles, and the constant packing of every release in the end of the year (whether it's from actual development time or just to be there for the holidays)

The localization gap sucks too. I get it's just what happens with those kinds of games but on PS4 the wait for those titles is easier with all of the other games coming out. On Wii U it was just waiting.

Similarly to Wii U I'm planning on holding off until there's enough interesting games to justify it. I'm not sold on the Switch gimmick as it is (I quite liked the Wii U gamepad just for the touchscreen on menus and such, even if its portability range and battery life was near useless)

Servbot24

Banned
oh yeah, totally frustrating. the lack ofgames was infuriating/laughable, but there's enough games on it where it'll be looked back on more than fondly 10-15-20 years from now.
when you think of how great the system like the Genesis or N64 was now, you think of maybe like 5 games.

I think Genesis and N64 are both awful :p

N64 has 3 great games and maybe 3 good ones. It's a bizarrely bad console

Genesis is a beautiful console too good for this world

The 6 PAK cartridge alone has your five games on it. Shinobi, Super Hang-On, Streets Of Rage, Columns, Golden Axe. Sure it has Sonic 1 but like whatever that opening level is ight

Sonic 2 and 3K are great

The FM Synth is the greatest soundchip to ever appear in a console

That Yu Yu Hakusho fighting game is amazing too, even if it didn't come out in the US. Not that I would know anything about it of course....

Smash 4
Splatoon
Mario Maker
Bayonetta 2
Wonderful 101
Pikmin 3
Xenoblade X

While I disagree with a lot of your list's franchise comparisons, I accept that we have different opinions on the entries. But Wii U better than the Dreamcast? Absolutely not. Which one will have a bigger impact in history? Dreamcast all the fucking way.

Finally had some time to get through Frame Trap and the top 10 discussion was fascinating and, oh man, is this year stacked.

My guess for them - Mario Odyssey with Persona and RDR 2 as as runner ups.

My guess for myself - RDR 2.

Game I 'want' to be my GOTY - Mass Effect

Sort of surprised how almost dismissive they seem to be of Horizon, but I guess Jones is the only who has played it.

Also, I think they forgot all about Destiny 2? I think that game is going to be massive.

I played Destiny Crucible endlessly for almost 2 years and I forget about Destiny 2 lol

I just can't even perceive it

Would love them to win me back though

jett

D-Member
It's kinda sad even Nintendo has abandoned instruction manuals. They had the best ones out there, always full-color and detailed.

Servbot24

Banned
It's kinda sad even Nintendo has abandoned instruction manuals. They had the best ones out there, always full-color and detailed.

It's a good thing imo. I get that we all read the manuals in the back seat of the car on the way home from the store when we were kids, but continuing that for tradition's sake isn't a good justification for the material waste.

sora87

While I disagree with a lot of your list's franchise comparisons, I accept that we have different opinions on the entries. But Wii U better than the Dreamcast? Absolutely not. Which one will have a bigger impact in history? Dreamcast all the fucking way.

Yup, Dreamcast was way ahead of it's time.

jett

D-Member
tfVsl7F.jpg

Held horizontally, this is legit one of the worst controllers I've ever seen.

It's a good thing imo. I get that we all read the manuals in the back seat of the car on the way home from the store when we were kids, but continuing that for tradition's sake isn't a good justification for the material waste.

While that's true, they should include digital versions of what would be instructional manuals then, because why not! Their Zelda ones were always so cool. :| Now BOTW has nothing.

luchadork

i loved my dreamcast :(
dont sleep on it. it was a fucking killer arcade game console. if you like fighting games, racing games, and sports games, its CRUSHED it.

chu chu rocket
crazy taxi
daytona
guilty gear
hydro thunder
ikaruga
jet grind radio
marvel vs capcom
metropolis street racer
mr driller
nba 2k
nfl 2k
ooga booga
phantasy star online
power stone
re-volt
rez
samba de amigo
seaman
sega gt
sega rally
shenmue
skies of arcadia
soulcalibur
space channel 5
street fight alpha 3
street fighter 3
tennis 2k
typing of the dead

those are all legitimate hits. hit after hit.

Dreamcast was just such a sick console. Putting emulators on CD-Rs and stocking it full of games was incredible. Crazy Taxi, Ready 2 Rumble, Phantasy Star Online, Midnght Club, Tokyo XTreme Racer, 3rd Strike, Ikaruga, Space Channel 5, it's so stacked! It had a built in modem with a keyboard and mouse! Come on!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom