• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

sora87

It's worth it, imo. Those joycons just look so small and weird.

i loved my dreamcast :(
dont sleep on it. it was a fucking killer arcade game console. if you like fighting games, racing games, and sports games, its CRUSHED it.

chu chu rocket
crazy taxi
daytona
guilty gear
hydro thunder
ikaruga
jet grind radio
marvel vs capcom
metropolis street racer
mr driller
nba 2k
nfl 2k
ooga booga
phantasy star online
power stone
re-volt
rez
samba de amigo
seaman
sega gt
sega rally
shenmue
skies of arcadia
soulcalibur
space channel 5
street fight alpha 3
street fighter 3
tennis 2k
typing of the dead

those are all legitimate hits. hit after hit.

One of the greats.

Axass

Finally became a Patreon today. Had to pledge my allegiance to Brand Manager.

aAu7910.gif

You have good taste, I like you.

Welcome to the club!

EDIT: Blood's pick rightfully winning the Hall of Greats poll. The superior game.
kappa_big.png

You have good taste, I like you.

Welcome to the club!

EDIT: Blood's pick rightfully winning the Hall of Greats poll. The superior game.
kappa_big.png
I mean, SF 2 needs to get in there too, sooner than later. I will admit this process is a bit weird in those regards. Kyle rebutting my Super Metroid with Metroid Prime as if only one can ever make it in there. (I still think Super Metroid is better, but that argument's not really the point.)

wiibomb

I mean, SF 2 needs to get in there too, sooner than later. I will admit this process is a bit weird in those regards. Kyle rebutting my Super Metroid with Metroid Prime as if only one can ever make it in there. (I still think Super Metroid is better, but that argument's not really the point.)

I think I usderstand the discussion because there are so few games introduced in the hall of greats that this metroid occupies an slot, like the GOTY discussions, if Super Metroid enters, one could say that there shouldn't be another Metroid game in the discussion without first entering other games from other franchises.

given the very slow pace of the discussions (this discussions should be a little more than just 1 every 4 months), this argument makes sense, metroid Prime will not get its chance if Super Metroid enters, at least not in a long time

Axass

Honestly, I don't think that Street Fighter II has aged as well as Super Metroid. Even though SFII started the genre, there's ton of fighting games that can be said to be "objectively" better in almost any sense. You can't say the same about Super Metroid: 23 years later it's still one of the pinnacles of the genre.

Still, I do prefer Prime, best level design I ever witnessed.

wiibomb

Honestly, I don't think that Street Fighter II has aged as well as Super Metroid. Even though SFII started the genre, there's ton of fighting games that can be said to be "objectively" better in almost any sense. You can't say the same about Super Metroid: 23 years later it's still one of the pinnacles of the genre.

Still, I do prefer Prime, best level design I ever witnessed.

I believe the argument needs to go further than the aged thing, how much legacy does these games carry today?

SF is still going strong despite the bad sales of SFV and it even founded a new genre when it started with SFII, EVO wouldn't be a thing without SF, Super Metroid is a truly amazing game, yet it seems like less of a franchise and more of an individual game considering how Nintendo has been ignoring it.

WarRock

Well, speaking of the Dreamcast, I discovered Frame Grid some weeks ago and reaaaally need to find a copy of that. Looks like a escaflowne-ish proto-Armored Core, DC exclusive, by From.

My brother found his old Dreamcast when he was clearing out the attic, went I went to visit last week my two nephews were playing Soul Calibur and loving it.
Brought a tear to my eye.

Axass

I believe the argument needs to go further than the aged thing, how much legacy does these games carry today?

SF is still going strong despite the bad sales of SFV and it even founded a new genre when it started with SFII, EVO wouldn't be a thing without SF, Super Metroid is a truly amazing game, yet it seems like less of a franchise and more of an individual game considering how Nintendo has been ignoring it.

Well, I think that's a more holistic and less personal approach to the thing though. Anyone can do a "Hall of Fame" listing the most impactful games in the history of gaming (there's even an "official" one trying to do just that): I want to know EZA's Hall of Fame, I want to see weird stuff like Black Flag and MM Legends being brought up, I want them to induce games they feel very passionate about, not every impactful game for the sake of it.

luchadork

My brother found his old Dreamcast when he was clearing out the attic, went I went to visit last week my two nephews were playing Soul Calibur and loving it.
Brought a tear to my eye.

so underrated. soulcalibur (1) was one of the greatest games ever. 98 on metacritic. let me type that out in all caps so people understand NINETY MOTHERFUCKING EIGHT. a dreamcast exclusive. a launch title. better graphics than the then current arcade version. and it wasnt just soulcalibur, dreamcast had stacks of current arcade games that looked just as good if not better.

compare that to the switch launching with streetfighter 2.

wiibomb

Well, I think that's a more holistic and less personal approach to the thing though. Anyone can do a "Hall of Fame" listing the most impactful games in the history of gaming (there's even an "official" one trying to do just that): I want to know EZA's Hall of Fame, I want to see weird stuff like Black Flag and MM Legends being brought up, I want them to induce games they feel very passionate about, not every impactful game for the sake of it.

I'm not the only one bringing that argument, it is even important for the allies, I know MML is a fantastic game, but doesn't have any kind of legacy today and it has been kind of forgotten, which gives reason to the argument of the legacy.

I'm more in line about the Hall of Greats being a best-of from the allies, not just things randomly thrown there because just 1 ally played it, if it is weird and everyone is passionate about then it is worth.

it makes for good streams since those best-of can also be related by the audience, I mean, I got mad they didn't vote for BB, but it makes for good argument on the other games voted.
(even if all of them didn't stop talking about it the year it launched)

Servbot24

Banned
EDIT: whoops, sorry bout the double post

I think I usderstand the discussion because there are so few games introduced in the hall of greats that this metroid occupies an slot, like the GOTY discussions, if Super Metroid enters, one could say that there shouldn't be another Metroid game in the discussion without first entering other games from other franchises.

given the very slow pace of the discussions (this discussions should be a little more than just 1 every 4 months), this argument makes sense, metroid Prime will not get its chance if Super Metroid enters, at least not in a long time

That makes no sense to me, and I see that type of thinking all the time. It's about picking great games, not about being nice to everyone. If Metroid has the best 2 games ever made, then that's that.

luchadork

Just to let the people that lets say expressed their various concerns over the anniversary that the new podcast does address that stuff at the end.

cool. will check it out once it goes public.

in all seriousness, i'm glad they addressed it. and am happy to hear they are planning to do more to include everyone in the anniversary. looking forward to it.

Axass

I'm not the only one bringing that argument, it is even important for the allies, I know MML is a fantastic game, but doesn't have any kind of legacy today and it has been kind of forgotten, which gives reason to the argument of the legacy.

I'm more in line about the Hall of Greats being a best-of from the allies, not just things randomly thrown there because just 1 ally played it, if it is weird and everyone is passionate about then it is worth.

it makes for good streams since those best-of can also be related by the audience, I mean, I got mad they didn't vote for BB, but it makes for good argument on the other games voted.
(even if all of them didn't stop talking about it the year it launched)

That's not what I meant. What I mean is: I prefer they don't bring up games like Pac-Man or Donkey Kong just because they've had a huge impact. I'm not saying this has happened with Ben and SFII, not at all. I just hope they keep choosing what they really want to have in there, instead of what they feel is right to put in there.

If Bloodborne or The Witcher III are inducted before milestone games such as SFII or Super Mario 64 (which I adore, btw) I wouldn't bat an eye.

EDIT:

Paging Damiani!!!

Are you also having the same Joycon desync problems as other outlets? Because I'm seriously scared.

Anticol

Banned
Brandon got a little spoilery on the last frame trap, I'm glad he liked the end of the game but those details were a bit much.

Auctopus

Brandon got a little spoilery on the last frame trap, I'm glad he liked the end of the game but those details were a bit much.

Funny, 'cause I thought he danced beautifully around spoilers with saying just enough to tease.

*insert BrandonBoundEasyUpdate.gif*

Catching up on Ben's Xenoblade playthrough.

Love that he's really feeling it. I wouldn't try to argue for it as the GOAT, but I think it might be my favorite game of all time.

ShadyK54

Kind of an aside, but I've been thinking about Persona 5 quite a bit today after finishing the newest Frame Trap, and I can't stop myself from rewatching the trailers and looking up other videos of gameplay.

The next month is going to be hard/a slog unless I decide to pick up Horizon or something. 2017 is too good of a year for gaming.

Dmax3901

tfVsl7F.jpg

Held horizontally, this is legit one of the worst controllers I've ever seen.

While that's true, they should include digital versions of what would be instructional manuals then, because why not! Their Zelda ones were always so cool. :| Now BOTW has nothing.

Having used it for games like MK8 and SnipperClips, it's totally fine. You're not gonna be holding it like that for hours on end.

Karu

Kind of an aside, but I've been thinking about Persona 5 quite a bit today after finishing the newest Frame Trap, and I can't stop myself from rewatching the trailers and looking up other videos of gameplay.

The next month is going to be hard/a slog unless I decide to pick up Horizon or something. 2017 is too good of a year for gaming.
I think Persona 4 is a solid 8 - so not neccessarily the second coming of christ. Still really looking forward to Persona 5. The uniqueness of the franchise puts it on top for me personally.

MSMrRound

No spoilers at all (a couple of my impression of my Japanese version playthrough) Persona 5's cutscene directions and more are S-tier. I love the awakening scenes.

Oh yea, and I was completely floored by the HD-fied demons and personas and thank goodness for decent character models for the main party at last. All these and more added so much to the Persona 5 experience

Karu

No spoilers at all (a couple of my impression of my Japanese version playthrough) Persona 5's cutscene directions and more are S-tier. I love the awakening scenes.

Oh yea, and I was completely floored by the HD-fied demons and personas and thank goodness for decent character models for the main party at last. All these and more added so much to the Persona 5 experience
Don't want to wade through probably spoiler-filled Persona-threads - how's the combat in relation to P4, which was one of the bigger drawbacks. I love SMTIV's combat, so Persona's simplified version of it was a bit of a letdown in comparison. Even if it is just combat, maybe spoiler-tag if you can answer. :p

MSMrRound

Baton pass is a nifty addition that they added to the game. By landing a hit to the enemy's weakness can pretty much give you a free turn so it might seem like a pseudo-press turn type of system (albeit being a bit more simplified e.g can pass your turn to party members, but you can't just swap free turns back and forth between the same two members)

It might be me, but skills which enable status effects seem to be a lot more handy in Persona 5 in comparison with previous Persona titles (hi Mitsuru and your charms), which might appeal to those players that might want to go for another type of play style other than the standard "see enemy weakness, hit enemy weakness" straightforward type of battles.

It's very familiar to those who are used to the Persona style of gameplay, but a lot of handy functions are locked behind certain levels of co-operations, so you might want to prioritize your free time so that you can decide which ones you want to go for first.

ShadyK54

Baton pass is a nifty addition that they added to the game. By landing a hit to the enemy's weakness can pretty much give you a free turn so it might seem like a pseudo-press turn type of system (albeit being a bit more simplified e.g can pass your turn to party members, but you can't just swap free turns back and forth between the same two members)

It might be me, but skills which enable status effects seem to be a lot more handy in Persona 5 in comparison with previous Persona titles (hi Mitsuru and your charms), which might appeal to those players that might want to go for another type of play style other than the standard "see enemy weakness, hit enemy weakness" straightforward type of battles.

It's very familiar to those who are used to the Persona style of gameplay, but a lot of handy functions are locked behind certain levels of co-operations, so you might want to prioritize your free time so that you can decide which ones you want to go for first.

Picked up on the things you pointed out in your first post from watching the intro of the game earlier. That and everything else you've mentioned pleases me greatly.

Philippo

I tried the JoyCon R sideway, and it's a bit jarring at first sure, but then you just naturally forget that the position is different.
After all, we all have gaming so much impressed into our muscle memory we eventually just adapt. Just think of when you thought the N64 pad was weird, and then you completely forgot about its shape after the first area in Mario64.

Mista Koo

I voted for Super Metroid because I wouldn't say SF2 is the best SF to play nowadays. If I ever gave it an award it would have to be based on it's influence.

Yeah, both JoyCon layouts should be identical when held individually.
Agreed, especially since they killed the d-pad for this.

Arkain

Catching up on Ben's Xenoblade playthrough.

Love that he's really feeling it. I wouldn't try to argue for it as the GOAT, but I think it might be my favorite game of all time.

It's in my top 10 for sure. At the rate that he's been streaming it, hopefully he'll do a full playthrough.

Budi

Oh man, can't wait for the Milk tournament. Will it be even better than For Honor group stream? Atleast it will be as intense!

PeterGAF

Banned
In the pro football hall of fame, which Kyle mentioned was one of his inspirations for this, people often argue about whether x player should get in before y player. Both players could be good enough to get into the hall of fame eventually but people do care about the order and first ballot and what not. I think that's what he was going for with that argument, though it is a weird argument to have when Metroid Prime wasn't even nominated.

Gigarator

Finally became a Patreon today. Had to pledge my allegiance to Brand Manager.

aAu7910.gif

It'd be great if there was a way for patrons to pick which ally persona's team they were allied to. I bet with a bit of brainstorming there could be some creative ideas to make the community feel more connected to the guys and along with some wholesome fun rivalry thrown in for good measure.

Vinc

Hearing Damiani's thoughts about Zelda is probably the most excited I've been for EZA content in a long time, and that's saying a lot cause I'm always excited.

Also, latest Frame Trap is really great. Ben improved so much as a host since the first episode. Episodes just flow much better now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom