• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm always wary when it comes to Zelda reviews since it's one of those series where there is still a bit of air in the scores and they haven't had a FFXIII level disaster to burst that bubble (actually I think the bubble really came apparent after XII which ended up being much more divisive game than the critical reception was) but I hope Nintendo has a classic on their hands. IMO they haven't really had a game as ''grand'' as this potentially is since Mario Galaxy.

I don't particularly care about Zelda too much (the last one I really liked was Twilight Princess) but it would certainly lessen the sting of buying a Switch if it ends up being one of the greats. Current plan being to buy one when Odyssey hits and if Ninty has a good E3/confidence instilling direction for 2018 and beyond.

I don't think Pillars of Eternity is one of the greats but I'm calling it right now: Deadfire will be one of the greats.

Not on EZA of course since maybe only Ben ends up playing it lol.

Philippo

Glad to see the EZA in Concert going to be posted later thing cleared, it was pretty obvious but still. Also, many many more thing, yay!

Anyway, i completely missed the Damiani "debate", but it's crazy stuff: the guy is a good reviewer (i enjoyed both his GT and EZA reviews) and has done this job for long, he's as professional as it can be. There really is no reason to question his job ethic or crtics.

FIASCOHYPE

Ray Down

Banned
If people didn't lambast skyward sword then I think Zelda is critic proof generally speaking.

Just like MGS, despite 4 & 5 being messes.

DAMIANI if you're reading this....

there is one week until zelda and i'm having trouble waiting. which zelda would you recommend i play through to ease the wait? which one is the best precursor for botw??

e: i have played every game in the series btw

Mista Koo

It'd be great if there was a way for patrons to pick which ally persona's team they were allied to. I bet with a bit of brainstorming there could be some creative ideas to make the community feel more connected to the guys and along with some wholesome fun rivalry thrown in for good measure.
That would be cool, but then I'd have to choose...

YEESSS

Forgot today was Fiasco day :p
I never expect a Fiasconaut, it's always a pleasant surprise.

Ultimadrago

I haven't really liked a Zelda since Wind Waker, while A Link Between Worlds did fair for handhelds. The past two major console entries (Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword), while each having little moments and some enjoyable dungeons, filled me with little besides boredom and apathy.

I hope Breath of the Wild revitalizes my faith in the series. Generally speaking, the highs of the Zelda series keep me sticking to it, but I'm a little tired from being disappointed by them at this point. Seeing that it's Zelda, I'm not even sure how many critical reports I can take at full value. Regardless, I've become keen on sifting through the chaff in regards to this. More importantly, I'd like to get hands-on with it!

El-Suave

Surprise Ian Hinck Nioh Co-Op stream with Anne Wernicke, from Playstation Germany's "Inside Playstation" channel. She is the German woman who was on Easy Update a few weeks ago. Pretty neat - maybe the Allies can have her on one of the streams during E3 when she's in town.
https://youtu.be/dF1V8WclfG0

DAMIANI if you're reading this....

there is one week until zelda and i'm having trouble waiting. which zelda would you recommend i play through to ease the wait? which one is the best precursor for botw??

e: i have played every game in the series btw

Then it's high time you play Alundra if you haven't already.

Budi

Hope Damiani can actually be critical of a Zelda game.

Not this shit again, sod off.

Edit: I'm worried if he gives it a great score, this thread will blow up with "see he couldn't" "fanboy review" no matter what the review itself says and how the game is received overall.

Great to see Jason in Fiasconauts again. He really killed it last time he was on!

Servbot24

Banned
If people didn't lambast skyward sword then I think Zelda is critic proof generally speaking.

Just like MGS, despite 4 & 5 being messes.

MGS4 and 5 are both incredible and well-deserving of the praise. Honestly, who wants an MGS game that isn't messy?

I think Skyward Sword was hard to criticize for people because there aren't many other games like it. You hate to punish a game that you're lucky even exists.

Hope Damiani can actually be critical of a Zelda game.

What is it with people who get off on negative reviews? What's wrong with a game just being goddamn amazing?

Ray Down

Banned
MGS4 and 5 are both incredible and well-deserving of the praise. Honestly, who wants an MGS game that isn't messy?

I think Skyward Sword was hard to criticize for people because there aren't many other games like it. You hate to punish a game that you're lucky even exists.

So I should just accept a game that shits the bed gameplay wise after chapter 2 baring the fight with Sniper Wolf, or the badly poor villain group, the over use of cut scenes (no game should have 30-1.00 hour long cut scene's in between chapters) across the board, the poor pacing due to it making it seem MGS4 is the shorter than it is.

Or MGSV being half baked and bad across the board (I doubt the Konami situation if it was better would have help story story due to how bad chapter 1 is told), the repetitive structure, the dumb twist.

That not a great excuse, so what if a game like Zelda we don't see much we still got other games in the series to compare it to and even removing that all the problems it suffers from.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I guess I am the only one who though that BlackBuzzard was being ironic. I give my irony detector a 7.8.

Hasney

Took a break for the thread, because it was a bummer, but I needed to just express how brilliantly broken yet fantastic this Fiasco is. It started so sensible too.

Servbot24

Banned
So I should just accept a game that shits the bed gameplay wise after chapter 2 baring the fight with Sniper Wolf, or the badly poor villain group, the over use of cut scenes (no game should have 30-1.00 hour long cut scene's in between chapters) across the board, the poor pacing due to it making it seem MGS4 is the shorter than it is.

Or MGSV being half baked and bad across the board (I doubt the Konami situation if it was better would have help story story due to how bad chapter 1 is told), the repetitive structure, the dumb twist.

That not a great excuse, so what if a game like Zelda we don't see much we still got other games in the series to compare it to and even removing that all the problems it suffers from.

You should play whatever you wanna play dude. I don't care what you do with your free time. Personally, I love those games. I love how relentlessly batshit they are, and how they don't care what anyone else thinks. They're true to themselves, and that's what I ask out of pretty much any work of art.

Ray Down

Banned
I would also like to add that Kojima just drops that the support cast of MGS3 are now the cause of the Patriots without scene's showing them change or a game delicate to that.

Kojima made it better now since with MGSPW and V, but it's just dropped in MGS4.

Seems like he tried to make MGS3 bigger to the overall story rather than a bigger but major self conatianed story.

abrack08

*snip*

Kojima made it better now since with MGSPW and V, but it's just dropped in MGS4.

Seems like he tried to make MGS3 bigger to the overall story rather than a bigger but major self conatianed story.

I know the game is fairly old at this point but can we not spoil MGS4 for others?

I know the game is fairly old at this point but can we not spoil MGS4 for others?

This please

Spoilers don't usually bother me, but MGS is a series that is so plot-driven that I think it's a nice gesture to use those tags. I know they are older games at this point, but many ppl didn't get to them because they are/were exclusives. I myself no longer have access to a PS3, so I've only played MGS1+2 in fact.. no worries though.

abrack08

Its from 2008. Unless you are actively spoiling it to annoy someone, I think its pretty fair game.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on spoiler policy. Personally I don't see any reason to post unmarked spoilers in a thread totally unrelated to MGS, especially when there's a easy spoiler button to click that takes minimal extra effort. What if someone just got into the series now because EZA just elected MGS to the Hall of Greats (lol)?

Ultimadrago

Watched the public podcast and some comments:

- I love Jigglypuff!

- Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze is definitely the one game that justified me playing the WiiU at all. The stage design, music and co-op created an absolute joy. Simply talking about it, I feel like playing it again.

- Ben rightfully describes people that were dismissive of titles on the WiiU during parts of its life. I was one of those people and I'm not ashamed of it. I didn't want a Lego game and found the reveal of TMS something that made it easy to shake off. Thing is, I love JRPGs, so maybe I could have given it a shot, but in the end I didn't. I do sympathize with people that found lots of games they found great on it only for them to get ignored in particular audiences.

To me, some items just end up taking the "wrong time" or "bad rap" stamp and that's just the way it goes. I do know that if the WiiU were a more worthwhile console overall for me, a few shrugged games wouldn't have prevented me from praising it overall. That didn't end up being the case.

- I really hope some of the key WiiU games do come to the Switch. I'm not holding my breath on it, but at a cheaper price (Haha!) and with a refreshed lineup, maybe I'd be more open to trying some of those tentatively curious games out.

- I'm glad to hear the buzz Nugget brought to Yakuza 0 via Twitter. The game deserves it!

- On the Zelda question, I'm with the Allies (Ian's curve) and am glad they didn't back down on it.

Feep

Banned
Hey, guys! Glad you liked the Fiasconauts, which we did our best to turn into Primer or something. I also later found out I had a low-grade fever through this entire episode but FUCK IT WE DID IT LIVE.

FIASCO GAMES ARE INTERLINKED. AHHHHHHH.. THE WHITE HOLE AND THE BLACK GOO
I HAD TO DO IT

I don't think Pillars of Eternity is one of the greats but I'm calling it right now: Deadfire will be one of the greats.

Not on EZA of course since maybe only Ben ends up playing it lol.

Pillars is one of the greats imo. There's not really anything bad about it that I can think of. Great plot, side quests, lore, combat, music, characters, writing, dialogue options, build variety and so on.

The only negative I can think of is it's AI pathfinding. It requires a little more player direction than I would prefer. Also the load times are a negative point.

Deadfire is my most anticipated game... And I'm primarily an FPS dude.

Fou-Lu

Great episode of Fiasconauts!

Jason, when you come back you better push some grey themed action into the script. We must see the end of the agent's tale!

Ultimadrago

A random Youtube commenter (on Huber's latest Syndrome episode) reminded me that there has not been a Yakuza 0 Spoilercast Discussion. Boy would that be cool; the game has plenty of content that could be discussed.

Prompto

Banned
Just finished fiasconauts. Episode was glorious. Love how crazy things got.

Great episode of Fiasconauts!

Jason, when you come back you better push some grey themed action into the script. We must see the end of the agent's tale!
Kobaba must come back as well.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I'm at the talk of Smash Bros for Wii U. I'm a little sad that they seem to be so down on the Wii U. I generally don't disagree with them much on stuff but I found myself doing it in this one.

Though I guess most of the negativity is coming from Ian, heh.

Wii U ended up with a great lineup. Yes, the console bombed but it has tons of great games.

And I much preferred the way amiibo works as to how Skylanders or Infinity worked. Want to just collect Nintendo toys? There you go. Do you love a specific Nintendo game? Well then you can go collect the amiibo for it and unlock some extra stuff.

Brandon seems to think amiibo should only exist if there's a specific "amiibo game." I get that but that's what Infinity and Skylanders were for. (I also think amiibo will be around longer because of this as well.)

Also, I don't remotely understand Ian's comment about Breath of the Wild looking unfinished. But they didn't say how? And it sounds a bit silly considering the Zelda embargo lifted the day after this was filmed and it sounds like it might be the best game in the series.

Finally, complaining about too many characters in Smash Bros. is super silly. There's a couple redundant characters, sure, but a huge cast of Nintendo characters is what Smash Bros. is and SSB for Wii U is easily the best in the series if you put nostalgia aside.

mishakoz

We'll just have to agree to disagree on spoiler policy. Personally I don't see any reason to post unmarked spoilers in a thread totally unrelated to MGS, especially when there's a easy spoiler button to click that takes minimal extra effort. What if someone just got into the series now because EZA just elected MGS to the Hall of Greats (lol)?

Hey, obviously its better to post in spoiler tags, but I think there honestly has to be a statute of limitations on spoilers. 9 years is a lot of time.

But yeah, obviously if it can be avoided, lets not.

dickroach

I've never played an MGS game and just bought the collection for PS3 a couple of weeks ago so I could dive in. my christmas is ruined

Volotaire

I've never played an MGS game and just bought the collection for PS3 a couple of weeks ago so I could dive in. my christmas is ruined

I started playing through MGS a few years ago and finished off the series about 1.5 years ago. Many of my favourite gaming moments are treasured in the MGS franchise. I hope you really enjoy it.

I need to get around playing MGSV one day.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Crazy that the same song got picked twice in a row. With a pool of 470 songs, the odds were ridiculously small.

I checked everything, and it was not a bug or mistake. The song legitimately was two times in a pool and got picked two times by sheer luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom