• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put it this way, if Major League Baseball were just now opening a Hall of Fame and they had limits on who could be in there from the beginning...we'd have a gigantic backlog of "Greats" not in because there has already been decades and decades of history. You'd get dumb arguments like "does Hank Aaron belong in the Hall of Fame more than Ted Williams?" when it's incredibly obvious both are "one of the greats" already and both belong. Like next time they might be battling over Mario 3 vs. Ocarina of Time vs. FF7 for 2 spots which just ain't right when they all obviously deserve that extremely prestigious title.

Each year new baseball players are inducted into the Hall of Fame. They aren't all obviously at the caliber of a Willie Mays, but they've all established a baseline of excellence that made them worthy. A Hall of Fame or "HoG" isn't a specific ranking, it just acknowledges that their mostly undeniable excellence.

I have absolutely no clue who any of those baseball players are but I think comparing the two is a bit silly because 1. Baseball has a far longer history than videogames, so I'm guessing even with all the people already in it, there's still tons of players you could go back and comfortably induct and 2. the MLB Hall of Fame is presumably voted on by a shitload more than 9 (or 6) people, so any left field picks (like Don has for AC4) are drowned out.

I don't really think having a giant backlog of greats is a bad thing. Sure, Mario 3, OoT and FFVII will all get in there eventually but it's fun to see who picks them, what their argument is and whether the group votes for them that time. But I think we're taking this a bit too seriously, it's just a fun little idea Kyle came up with, not some big official thing.

re: frame trap
I'm surprised none of em picked Zelda as what they think EZAGOTY2017 will be. i think it's a lock

I haven't watched Frame Trap yet (and might not till tomorrow, I want to start my RE7 Madhouse playthrough once I get home) but Persona 5, Mario Odyssey and Red Dead Redemption 2, son.

Besides, excluding Link Between Worlds (which by all accounts I've heard is an incredible Zelda game), what was the last Zelda that didn't have a post-release backlash anyway?

Put it this way, if Major League Baseball were just now opening a Hall of Fame and they had limits on who could be in there from the beginning...we'd have a gigantic backlog of "Greats" not in because there has already been decades and decades of history. You'd get dumb arguments like "does Hank Aaron belong in the Hall of Fame more than Ted Williams?" when it's incredibly obvious both are "one of the greats" already and both belong. Like next time they might be battling over Mario 3 vs. Ocarina of Time vs. FF7 for 2 spots which just ain't right when they all obviously deserve that extremely prestigious title.

Each year new baseball players are inducted into the Hall of Fame. They aren't all obviously at the caliber of a Willie Mays, but they've all established a baseline of excellence that made them worthy. A Hall of Fame or "HoG" isn't a specific ranking, it just acknowledges that their mostly undeniable excellence.

To be fair, the Hall of Fame was established in 1939 and they only JUST inducted Mike Piazza, who retired at the end of the 2007 season. He was eligible a few times since then. It happens.

Also, to correct Kyle, Pete Rose is NOT in the Baseball Hall of Fame. He's in the Cincinnati Reds Hall of Fame.

mishakoz

Re: Tabletop. Fun stuff but Huber's character is once again stalling the plot by going in loops like Law. No disrespect, but Im really tired about hearing about Moof.

I have absolutely no clue who any of those baseball players are but I think comparing the two is a bit silly because 1. Baseball has a far longer history than videogames, so I'm guessing even with all the people already in it, there's still tons of players you could go back and comfortably induct and 2. the MLB Hall of Fame is presumably voted on by a shitload more than 9 (or 6) people, so any left field picks (like Don has for AC4) are drowned out.

I don't really think having a giant backlog of greats is a bad thing. Sure, Mario 3, OoT and FFVII will all get in there eventually but it's fun to see who picks them, what their argument is and whether the group votes for them that time. But I think we're taking this a bit too seriously, it's just a fun little idea Kyle came up with, not some big official thing.

Hah, i'm certainly taking it more seriously than it needs to be, i'll admit that.

Baseball has been around longer than videogames is true, but videogames have an insanely deep rich history as well. Plenty to draw from. The modern day baseball Hall of Fame (and most other sports Halls of Fame) mostly are inducting very recently eligible players or those that weren't shoe-ins. All of the old "greats" are already in. Also, I think Kyle mentioned this process was similar to how the NFL does their HoF(?), I'm not familiar with it being a Detroit Lions fan.

As to Don's vote, it was just nominated but didn't come close to getting in, which seems like the system worked if you didn't think it was a "great." Fun to get a different perspective, though.

I just think there's easily 12-18 games that are undeniably "great" and that means we're 2-3 years from getting into what I feel are the more interesting debates.

To be fair, the Hall of Fame was established in 1939 and they only JUST inducted Mike Piazza, who retired at the end of the 2007 season. He was eligible a few times since then. It happens.

Also, to correct Kyle, Pete Rose is NOT in the Baseball Hall of Fame. He's in the Cincinnati Reds Hall of Fame.

That means they've roughly had 78ish classes then and they don't have a limit on the amount of players that can get in. I believe they need 75% of the vote to get in. While I'd like to think the Easy Allies Hall of Greats will one day be as prestigious as the baseball HoF, I think it would be smart to get the no-brain "greats" inducted and speed up the process.

While I believe Piazza should have been a 1st ballot Hall of Famer, he's certainly not one of the top 25 players in MLB history. Piazza deserves to be in the HoF, but being nominated against the Babe Ruth's and the Ken Griffey Jr's each ballot would mean he wouldn't get in for decades.

Paches

Hah, i'm certainly taking it more seriously than it needs to be, i'll admit that.

Baseball has been around longer than videogames is true, but videogames have an insanely deep rich history as well. Plenty to draw from. The modern day baseball Hall of Fame (and most other sports Halls of Fame) mostly are inducting very recently eligible players or those that weren't shoe-ins. All of the old "greats" are already in. Also, I think Kyle mentioned this process was similar to how the NFL does their HoF(?), I'm not familiar with it being a Detroit Lions fan.

As to Don's vote, it was just nominated but didn't come close to getting in, which seems like the system worked if you didn't think it was a "great." Fun to get a different perspective, though.

I just think there's easily 12-18 games that are undeniably "great" and that means we're 2-3 years from getting into what I feel are the more interesting debates.

Goddamn, lol.

Axass

I haven't watched Frame Trap yet (and might not till tomorrow, I want to start my RE7 Madhouse playthrough once I get home) but Persona 5, Mario Odyssey and Red Dead Redemption 2, son.

Besides, excluding Link Between Worlds (which by all accounts I've heard is an incredible Zelda game), what was the last Zelda that didn't have a post-release backlash anyway?

ALBW is definitely overrated, the way item system works in particular is totally broken. I think I liked Phantom Hourglass more. There you go.

Budi

The GOTY discussion in Frame Trap touched upon the subject of games only one of them is going to play. This is something that I brought up as a critique for their actual GOTY discussion last year. Not enough people had enough experience with variety of games. I really wish that all the games Ben listed and thought could be contenders, had atleast 2 of the allies playing those this year. Not only to give those games a chance, but also for better discussions. And I'd really like to see the crew to go bit out of their comfort zones regarding games, for example wasn't that holiday streaming by Damiani pretty much that? Playing likes of Doom and Uncharted, that aren't normally games he would be personally interested in.

mishakoz

ALBW is definitely overrated, the way item system works in particular is totally broken. I think I liked Phantom Hourglass more. There you go.

ALBW is a fine game, its a bad Zelda game. The dungeons are so straightforward because they rely on a singular item, rather than the combination of items. It never builds on itself, which is a shame.

wiibomb

ALBW is a fine game, its a bad Zelda game. The dungeons are so straightforward because they rely on a singular item, rather than the combination of items. It never builds on itself, which is a shame.

what... what???

no...
no...

ALBW is a fine game, its a bad Zelda game.

no.... no...

The dungeons are so straightforward because they rely on a singular item, rather than the combination of items. It never builds on itself, which is a shame.

oh no... no no no...

mishakoz

what... what???

no...
no...

no.... no...

oh no... no no no...

Thats my opinion. I think Zelda's strength is when you get to use the items together to solve a puzzle. There is none of that in ALBW. The structure of the game prevents it.

I always know which item will solve the puzzle, the one used to open the dungeon.

Most Zeldas

Get an item > Learn to use it > Master it > Get a new item > Learn to use it > Learn to use it with other item > Master it > Etc.

ALBW:

Get an item > Learn to use it > Master it > Never use it again

VanWinkle

They did it

88583167d6ed45f3683376cdb812814b.png
!

Very nice! I would just suggest that they zoom out a tiny bit and pan up some. I think it would look best if the torsos are in the center of the shot.

Much better, though!

wiibomb

Thats my opinion. I think Zelda's strength is when you get to use the items together to solve a puzzle. There is none of that in ALBW. The structure of the game prevents it.

I always know which item will solve the puzzle, the one used to open the dungeon.

Most Zeldas

Get an item > Learn to use it > Master it > Get a new item > Learn to use it > Learn to use it with other item > Master it > Etc.

ALBW:

Get an item > Learn to use it > Master it > Never use it again

I do agree it is much better when zelda use the items for more than just 1 puzzle, but dismissing all the other qualities of it just because of the item usage feels so wrong to me.

then, of course I didn't mean my post, it was just a joke, it's ok if you don't like it, I just absolutely love ALBW over a lot of other zeldas because of the creativity of it, of the world and how it just evolved more the 2D zelda style that was basically abandoned after the GBA

Axass

what... what???

no...
no...

no.... no...

oh no... no no no...

The overworld goes far beyond being a mere throwback to ALTTP, it becomes far too predictable, think The Force Awakens compared to A New Hope. You basically get all the items at once, so there's no progression and it costs just too little to rent them or buy them. You don't feel any pressure about dying and losing them.

The three main characters besides Link were interesting though, as was the wall mechanic. It's a great game, a good Zelda, but definitely not top tier.

mishakoz

I do agree it is much better when zelda use the items for more than just 1 puzzle, but dismissing all the other qualities of it just because of the item usage feels so wrong to me.

then, of course I didn't mean my post, it was just a joke, it's ok if you don't like it, I just absolutely love ALBW over a lot of other zeldas because of the creativity of it, of the world and how it just evolved more the 2D zelda style that was basically abandoned after the GBA

Yeah, it just doesnt feel like an evolution. It feels like "lets try something different". Its still a very tight game with not a lot of filler, which I like, but I don't feel like it evolved. Evolution is more what I feel happened between Link's Awakening and Oracle, where oracle built off the groundwork layed by advancing the systems used. It feels like ALBW regresses that somewhat. You can tackle any dungeon at a certain point in the game, but because of that there's no skill progression, so dungeon 4 can't be more complicated than dungeon 8. Whereas looking at Dungeon one of any other Zelda game, and dungeon 5, there would be a massive difference.

I would agree that Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass are the worst handheld Zeldas (and probably the worst Zelda games period) but A Link Between Worlds is a very close third. It's nowhere near as a great as Link's Awakening, Oracle Ages, Oracle Seasons, or even The Minish Cap. The item system sucks the fun out of dungeons.

Karu

I would agree that Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass are the worst handheld Zeldas (and probably the worst Zelda games period) but A Link Between Worlds is a very close third. It's nowhere near as a great as Link's Awakening, Oracle Ages, Oracle Seasons, or even The Minish Cap. The item system sucks the fun out of dungeons.
You are right.

PSA: He is right.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Those handheld hd camcorders aren't going to cut it as their main production camera. It's kind of a sidegrade to even their really old Sony EX1.

They'll have to invest in something better, if y'all need some guidance on that let me know. I got some camera connections in Los Angeles.

A quality camera will totally increase their production values alone IMO.

L&R

mishakoz

Those handheld hd camcorders aren't going to cut it as their main production camera. It's kind of a sidegrade to even their really old Sony EX1.

They'll have to invest in something better, if y'all need some guidance on that let me know. I got some camera connections in Los Angeles.

A quality camera will totally increase their production values alone IMO.

L&R

What exactly did they get?

ALBW is one of the worst Zelda games i've ever played amd one massive disappointment.

I dont get hyperbolic statements like this.

Dmax3901

Hey it's mishakoz in the flesh! Thanks for everything you do man!

I loved LBW by the way. I think I'm always more forgiving with handheld Zeldas though.

Karu

The guy who made the wooden plate is probably all like :-(

Probably a bit of a bummer lol
Personally I can live with getting rid of it.

Philippo

I dont get hyperbolic statements like this.

Nothing hyperbolic about that, it's not like i wrote it as a bait.
Simply if i make a list of my fav Zelda games, this one sits at the bottom because i hardly liked it.
And a massive disappointment because i expected something more (what, i don't really know) when they said they wanted to take a fresh spin on the LttP formula.

Kneefoil

Has A Link Between Worlds finally reached the point in Zelda cycle, where it becomes popular to dislike the game (compared to the other Zelda games, at least)? It happened a lot faster for Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword.

For what it's worth, I don't think ALBW is amazing, but I think it's really good. I think it's in the better half of TLoZ games. The main problem I had with it was the recycled/remixed overworld.

Bahorel

I want Don's perspective on everything from now on, after hearing him talk about Black Flag. I feel energized and inspired. I never really knew much about Don since he's so mysterious but now I need more.

mishakoz

Nothing hyperbolic about that, it's not like i wrote it as a bait.
Simply if i make a list of my fav Zelda games, this one sits at the bottom because i hardly liked it.
And a massive disappointment because i expected something more (what, i don't really know) when they said they wanted to take a fresh spin on the LttP formula.

------edit im being dumb

I'm not sure on the exact Panasonic model, but Ian held up the box on this week's group stream. It seems fine enough for streams though. They'll just need to adjust color settings on the camera.

They need a dedicated tech person, because yeah, I agree.

Axass

Has A Link Between Worlds finally reached the point in Zelda cycle, where it becomes popular to dislike the game (compared to the other Zelda games, at least)? It happened a lot faster for Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword.

For what it's worth, I don't think ALBW is amazing, but I think it's really good. I think it's in the better half of TLoZ games. The main problem I had with it was the recycled/remixed overworld.

The Zelda cycle is totally false.

Only Zelda game I ever changed my opinion about is Wind Waker, which went from good to great in my book: after many years I noticed how innovative it was in comparison to all that came after it.

In no particular order:

Tier 1 - OoT, MM, WW, ALttP, MC

Tier 2 - OoA, TP, ALBW, PH, FSA

Tier 3 - OoS, LA, SS, LoZ, AoL, FS

Haven't played Tri Force Heroes yet.

Karu

Worse than the CD-i games? Worse than crossbow training? Triforce Heroes? 4 Swords?

Hyperbole is exactly what you used because I doubt you meant it like that, but if you actually do I take what I said back.
Read what he actually wrote. Of Zelda games he/she played. And even than it is not far of a reach to assume he means mainline handheld/console Zeldas.

Servbot24

Banned

Kyle's gotta be reading these posts like "what have I done", lol

luchadork

i'm surprised that people rate mario bros 3 over mario world. the levels are shorter. theres not as many secrets. the design is a lot more linear. no cape. no yoshi. no secret paths and levels. cant replay levels as you complete them. story presentation is not as good. not to say 3 isnt a classic but mario world just seems to me to be superior is so many ways.

Karu

I was kinda super shocked how ready they were to kick Horizon of the list on FrameTrap. It still made it, but just like that. Brandon's knock on the story really seemed to make a dent, haha. I'm really curious how I personally will take to the story.

Sheentak

Re: Tabletop. Fun stuff but Huber's character is once again stalling the plot by going in loops like Law. No disrespect, but Im really tired about hearing about Moof.

I really want more combat I'm tabletop and I agree Hubers stalling is starting to annoy me, starting to hope pomper gets killed off and he can just play a hogger like character.

It's pretty true to the character. Imagine if you died, wouldn't you do anything you could to bring yourself back?

Ultimadrago

As before, while I agree that Pomper certainly has Law-isms (always did, of course), it just makes Tabletop Escapades. I don't want his character to stop, but every now and again it comes to rattle in my head a bit. The inflection in some of his ridiculous responses alone are something I'd never trade away and are alone worth the price of admission.

On the Frame Trap, in the first 20+ minutes and hearing Jones describe his love for Horizon and also the restraint with which he approached his experience for the conclusive review is awesome. It doesn't sound like a game I'd really be into, but his reasoning makes me more interested and also ensures to me again how sound the review on a whole was. It's always refreshing to hear upon expanded thoughts like that.

Karu

Coming up to Tabletop Escapades 600 and looking back in a special retrospective at Huber's seven different characters who all died in more and more escalating ways (though Law certainly set a high-bar lol) would be kinda fun.

Dineren

Banned
As someone who knows pretty much nothing about these games and hasn't seen any episodes would it be better to start with the gametrailers tabletop adventures or just start at the first episode of their most recent series?

I hated the GOTY talk about 'slots' for certain types of games. Nearly every outlet (sometimes subconsciously) does it this way but why can't you just list the 10 best games regardless?

And for all the talk of 'slots', they still ended up with a list of games that are pretty single player driven.

Ultimadrago

As someone who knows pretty much nothing about these games and hasn't seen any episodes would it be better to start with the gametrailers tabletop adventures or just start at the first episode of their most recent series?

I started with the most recent series (Tabletop Escapades) and was fine. If you didn't want to start from Episode 1, there's a video summary here from the gang. I'd recommend watching/listening through it, however, to get the bulk of the humorous improv. It starts slow, but once interactions start ramping up it gets better.

ShadyK54

As before, while I agree that Pomper certainly has Law-isms (always did, of course), it just makes Tabletop Escapades. I don't want his character to stop, but every now and again it comes to rattle in my head a bit. The inflection in some of his ridiculous responses alone are something I'd never trade away and are alone worth the price of admission.

Agreed. The bit where Pomper (spoilered just in case)
asked Darius if he wanted to wrestle for the ten thousand
was hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom