• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Axass

I was surprised to see Nichijou on the poll at all. It's an excellent show! Who decided to add that? Though I'm curious who would discuss it. It doesn't come off as a topic I'd see from Brad.

Thanks! I forgot to keep an eye out for it.

Quite clearly Ben, as he brought it up as a recommendation at the end of the episode.

sinxtanx

TTE 47: Boy, they're in it now. I think we had like two episodes of the group successfully NOT stirring shit, glad we're back to status quo.

Poor Wii U, didn't even have all the allies attend it's funeral

Nah, Pokken's release was the actual funeral and only Don missed that. The Allies on yesterday's stream were just the ones who were in denial at the time.

can't believe such negativity towards the Wii U, I mean, it isn't the best console by any means and it has serious flaws, but the thing gave us a lot of excellent games, the allies were so mean...

The Wii U is the Luigi of consoles. Forgettable.
:p

I'll check out parts of the stream archive once I get home this afternoon but I did watch the new Don's Design Lab and loved it.

I put a few hours into Horizon yesterday and god damn, that game is fun. I haven't even left the opening area yet but I've already got the rope caster and have upgraded a bunch of equipment.

Kneefoil

TTE 47:
For once it's actually Therese who screws up royally. That's pretty rare.

The worst part is that even if they somehow beat and/or escape from the orcs and the Nightingale, they'll probably have to flee from the city as well due to what happened with Therese, Pomper and the boat, and because of the commotion they caused at the cat races. Then again, since the city have made a deal with the Nightingales, just the act of killing or pissing off this Nightingale might have been enough for the city to turn against them even had they not caused any trouble previously.

farisr

So guys, I'd like to let folks here know that I've started up a "Best of" series for Easy Allies. I've already contacted Brandon to get permission, just in case they have any similar plans (as I don't want to get in the way). But since they're busy, I haven't received a reply yet, and I had this whole plan for March, the first video just went up right now. So here it is. (for now at least)

Best of Easy Allies 2017-01

My plan is to release a video every other day till March 21st. With coverage starting from the beginning of this year. And when the video for March 21st comes out, the coverage will be caught up to the most recent week.

After that point, I aim to have a video out every Monday, that covers the prior week.

These are of course, my own subjective favorite moments/highlights, but I'm still aiming for the videos to have moments from a wide range of their videos, so people don't miss out, and hopefully are more inclined to check out other EZA content they may be ignoring.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
So guys, I'd like to let folks here know that I've started up a "Best of" series for Easy Allies. I've already contacted Brandon to get permission, just in case they have any similar plans (as I don't want to get in the way). But since they're busy, I haven't received a reply yet, and I had this whole plan for March, the first video just went up right now. So here it is. (for now at least)

My plan is to release a video every other day till March 21st. With coverage starting from the beginning of this year. And when the video for March 21st comes out, the coverage will be caught up to the most recent week.

After that point, I aim to have a video out every Monday, that covers the prior week.

These are of course, my own subjective favorite moments/highlights, but I'm still aiming for the videos to have moments from a wide range of their videos, so people don't miss out, and hopefully are more inclined to check out other EZA content they may be ignoring.

Yes lad, yes! Could probably start with a little visual Titlecard BEST OF EASY ALLIES JANUARY intro (if you want some audio pizazz, Clip Jones out saying "FOR THE MONTH OF JANUARY") but theres already some gold in here even I missed (Bosman yutzing about his Guitar Neighbour)

farisr

Yes lad, yes! Could probably start with a little visual Titlecard BEST OF EASY ALLIES JANUARY intro (if you want some audio pizazz, Clip Jones out saying "FOR THE MONTH OF JANUARY") but theres already some gold in here even I missed (Bosman yutzing about his Guitar Neighbour)
Thanks for the suggestions. Definitely some things that came to my mind as well. I've been pretty much working on these videos non-stop over the last week or so. I'll see what I can do, but honestly right now, I'm just struggling to keep up with my idea of a launch month for this series, LOL. So much content to sift through. This first week was relatively light on content due to it being the new year, and even in this week it was still 36 hours worth of content to go through.

There was also a bit of reasoning on my end that not having a straight up visible numbering system in the video. If I ever go back to the 2016 content and want to make "legacy" best of videos, once caught up, I can number them sequentially as volumes if I want rather than year + month, without stuff contained within the video itself clashing.

The title, thumbnail etc is still there for a decent idea, it's going to go 2017-01, 2017-02, all the way up to 2017-52.

But yeah, I think I'll be seriously reconsidering what I'm doing with the format of these videos once I get to it being up to date and once a week (which will be much easier to do than what I am doing right now).

luchadork

you are the fucking man!

ShadyK54

Nice video! Saw your YT username & realized I had watched a handful of your compilations this past weekend lol.

Hasney

Neat. The guy that does the Giant Bomb official ones started by doing them unofficially.

Philippo

Amazing! That's what i really wanted for a while!
I'll definitely try and show these to friends that are not into EZA, hope they'll like it.
Any chance you'll do a Best of 2016? So many great moments from last year.

Hasney

Man that WiiU eulogy had a few gem lines: "STAY DEAD" "WE'RE GOING TOO FAR" "THIS LOOKS LIKE ROCKET LEAGUE".

Street Racer had the first car-soccer game dammit. Everyone forgets that one
because it was shit
Killer ep.
Rare to see
Therese fuck up this bad
, too.

Ben reacts so fast to totally unexpected situations that I wonder if
the nightingales being revealed there was always going to be the case or not.

Podcast talk: I'm on Jones side with the Twitch selling. I don't see anything wrong with having the link of the game you're playing there and get a little kickback as long as it's never mentioned. If you're shilling the link, that's a lot different to just having it there while the video plays.

Karu

While I don't think the Allies specifically would abuse such a system, generally speaking I think Damiani makes very good points about crossing lines and slippery slopes.

Mista Koo

I think the clips need to be shorter and more exact (if there's a setup and a punchline clip everything before and after). I also think covering a bigger duration would increase the quality.

If the goal is promotional not sure how things that require understanding of "lore" would work.

Hasney

While I don't think the Allies specifically would abuse such a system, generally speaking I think Damiani makes very good points about crossing lines and slippery slopes.

Yeah, he really does make good point, but I think the content should speak for itself. I mean, Michael "swimming in 7's" Huber isn't going to be pimping for a game he's streaming. Hell, can you imagine that RE6 stream with a link to buy it?

kami_sama

Yeah, I think that considering EZA's type of scoring, it would be that score, it's in the low part of the spectrum but it's still great.

Maiar_m

Popping back in there just to say that the Zelda review is everything a review should be and both Damiani and Jones did a very good job with it.

Popping back in there just to say that the Zelda review is everything a review should be and both Damiani and Jones did a very good job with it.
Yup. It's really well done. And shows once again how silly the concerns were having a big fan review a game in the series.

lol at the down votes. Cmon Zelda fans

Bulby

Good on EZA for calling out the issues. Who knows if they affect everyone that badly, but from the video, its certainly worth addressing.

Karu

Damiani, fantastic review! Really well done.

The game looks incredible, my gawd. Glad Horizon can hold me over to ignore the Hype :D

WarRock

Damn, the EZA review made me more hype for Zelda than the advertising of the game, wtf, Damiani is on point.

How are the spoilers in the Zelda review?
Zero spoilers in the text, some quick cuts of enemies and areas you may have not seen before in the video.

Good on EZA for calling out the issues. Who knows if they affect everyone that badly, but from the video, its certainly worth addressing.
Yeah, the video evidence makes a strong case for the framerate problems. I didn't think it was so bad from just reading impressions until now.

Hasney

There is framerate issues mentioned elsewhere, but most of them just say in towns and hasn't affected combat or platforming at any point. Watching the Giant Bomb quick look now and there are hiccups and Dan was saying that it's noticeable, but it never gets so bad.

El-Suave

Great review for sure, score seems great, too. I wonder if the survival aspects will annoy me down the road, also most areas in the open world look empty as suspected compared to some last gen open worlds. Curious how that feels with minimal music.

Anaithsol

Neo Member

Honestly, I would have given the game a similar score due to the frame rate issues presented as well as some other design choices. It didn't appear that the durability of weapons and armor was a hindrance to Damiani, but I could easily find myself a bit put-off by the apparently high frequency of them breaking.

All in all, it was a fine review. It's bizarre to know that there were people here and elsewhere who doubted that Damiani would be professional and unbiased when it comes to The Legend of Zelda.

Visceir

Had no intention of getting a Wiiu or Switch so I have been keeping an eye on some BotW streams these past few days. What I've seen has honestly blown me away, to me it definitely feels like a game that is in a class of it's own and I fully expected it to get perfect scores across the board.

Was the half star subtraction mainly because of the technical issues or were there other factors that contributed towards the lower score? Just curious if there were other things Damiani didn't like about the game.

Anaithsol

Neo Member
Had no intention of getting a Wiiu or Switch so I have been keeping an eye on some BotW streams these past few days. What I've seen has honestly blown me away, to me it definitely feels like a game that is in a class of it's own and I fully expected it to get perfect scores across the board.

Was the half star subtraction mainly because of the technical issues or were there other factors that contributed towards the lower score? Just curious if there were other things Damiani didn't like about the game.

In the review itself, it seems the technical issues were the largest reasoning for the subtraction but Damiami did mention that the more traditional dungeons in the game weren't particularly innovative or exciting aside from the bosses themselves.

Whether or not he disliked anything else remains to be seen or heard as far as I know. I imagine he'll be more open to discussion now regarding the game with the embargo being fully lifted.

In the review itself, it seems the technical issues were the largest reasoning for the subtraction but Damiami did mention that the more traditional dungeons in the game weren't particularly innovative or exciting aside from the bosses themselves.

Whether or not he disliked anything else remains to be seen or heard as far as I know. I imagine he'll be more open to discussion now regarding the game with the embargo being fully lifted.

he also mentions that Link not speaking is harder to justify with more voiced characters

Anaithsol

Neo Member
he also mentions that Link not speaking is harder to justify with more voiced characters

Noted; I must have missed that bit when checking out the review. I distinctly remember something along those lines but I guess it didn't register as a negative to me at the time.

Thanks for the information!

Honestly, I would have given the game a similar score due to the frame rate issues presented as well as some other design choices. It didn't appear that the durability of weapons and armor was a hindrance to Damiani, but I could easily find myself a bit put-off by the apparently high frequency of them breaking.

All in all, it was a fine review. It's bizarre to know that there were people here and elsewhere who doubted that Damiani would be professional and unbiased when it comes to The Legend of Zelda.

I hate the idea of weapons durability in games because I don't find the associated anxiety fun. I didn't like it in The Witcher and I won't like it in this game.

Anaithsol

Neo Member
I hate the idea of weapons durability in games because I don't find the associated anxiety fun. I didn't like it in The Witcher and I won't like it in this game.

Yeah, I usually find systems involving durability far more tedious and annoying than challenging and enjoyable. I understand why some folks like the concept; it just isn't for me. I'm willing to give it a fair shake in Breath of the Wild, but my immediate reaction isn't positive to be sure.

I think I would be more welcoming to the implementation if the items didn't outright disappear and could be repaired instead; however, I also see how that could be problematic especially when weapons and armor seem to be plentiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom