• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

mishakoz

Good review, wish I hadn't peaked at the video version. Ive been staying mostly blackout on things so I do not know if the couple clips I saw were spoilery or not.

wiibomb

Good review, wish I hadn't peaked at the video version. Ive been staying mostly blackout on things so I do not know if the couple clips I saw were spoilery or not.

I just decided to do as with many other EZA reviews, I just hear that sweet sweet voice of brandon narrating the review with the video hidden so I don't see anything

cm osi

TTE 47:
For once it's actually Therese who screws up royally. That's pretty rare.

The worst part is that even if they somehow beat and/or escape from the orcs and the Nightingale, they'll probably have to flee from the city as well due to what happened with Therese, Pomper and the boat, and because of the commotion they caused at the cat races. Then again, since the city have made a deal with the Nightingales, just the act of killing or pissing off this Nightingale might have been enough for the city to turn against them even had they not caused any trouble previously.

got the feeling ben tried to shake things up (and he did it) because things were going to stall.
i got the impression kyle was really going to let yogalla settle on the city and reroll a new one. maybe ian will have to reroll. i also feel he took the bag away because that was easy mode, unless he had some plan for the money. hope brad can get i back

Auctopus

Not that I agreed with the opinion at all but it's funny looking back on the people who thought Damiani was too much of a fanboy. Reading through the reviews, he comes across as one of the more reserved voices.

The TrustedReviews review is insane.

mishakoz

People are insane about Zelda. I want to believe these glowing reviews but skyward sword also got glowing reviews

Not to say SS is bad. It's still very good, but I think a lot of people overlooked a lot of the flaws at launch.

People are insane about Zelda. I want to believe these glowing reviews but skyward sword also got glowing reviews

Not to say SS is bad. It's still very good, but I think a lot of people overlooked a lot of the flaws at launch.

I agree. I don't doubt it's easier to look past technical issues with an immensely enjoyable experience, but that doesn't mean those issues should be ignored either when it comes to a review.

Props to Easyallies, and Damiani for giving a fair, and critical review. Game looks amazing, I look forward to playing it someday.

I think SS's reviews (in aggregate) are pretty indicative of its quality, though? Zelda games usually get glowing reviews because Zelda games are usually great.

For SS in particular, my biggest problem with was the controls. Basically made any melee combat an ordeal to trudge through. Meanwhile, lots of people had no problems with them. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mishakoz

I think SS's reviews (in aggregate) are pretty indicative of its quality, though? Zelda games usually get glowing reviews because Zelda games are usually great.

For SS in particular, my biggest problem with was the controls. Basically made any melee combat an ordeal to trudge through. Meanwhile, lots of people had no problems with them. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Again, not arguing that it was bad. I like a lot of skyward sword, but that game was like a roller coaster of hits and misses that I don't think made its way into the aggregate score at all. I definitely think people had Zelda blinders on for that game, overlooking a lot of issues.

I get it. When zelda is good, it's really effing good. I still have chills about some of the moments in Lanayru desert. But there's a reason that's the only truly memorable area of the game for me, it was the only one that was truly groundbreaking.

Edit. My point is if I had to score skyward sword today I would give it a 85. It's got highs and lows but I don't think it executes a lot of its ideas. But the average for that game sits at 95. Numbers are meaningless, but I hope the same kind of retrospect will be able to be applied to breath of the wild

Thankfully, it doesn't seem like it will.

Hasney

Scores are one thing, but the tone of these reviews when you actually read them is something else. Skyward Sword reviews, while scored high, always read like "Heh, Zelda's great, isn't it? This ones pretty good too." Whereas I've fully read about 10 reviews for this and it is more "I really want to say this is the beat game I've ever played. Can I? But the test of time..." in a way I've not seen since OoT and Half-Life 2. Hell, the usually harsh Metro GameCentre did basically say kt is the best game they've ever played.

Edit: Dammit mishakoz, your edit makes my post not needed :lol

luchadork

My point is if I had to score skyward sword today I would give it a 85. It's got highs and lows but I don't think it executes a lot of its ideas. But the average for that game sits at 95. Numbers are meaningless, but I hope the same kind of retrospect will be able to be applied to breath of the wild.

Skyward Sword ended up with a decently high metascore in a time where high review scores were running rampant.

A 2011 95 is a 2017 85.
A 2017 95 is a 2011 125.

2017 is the year of 10s, and an extension of the year of dreams

We have a new Fire Pro. What's even left? DMCV?

DMC5, SoulCalibur 6, Onimusha, Demon's Souls Remastered, that rumoured FF 1-9 Collection, a new (proper) Metroid and Borderlands 3 (jk).

Make them happen, 2017.

Again, not arguing that it was bad. I like a lot of skyward sword, but that game was like a roller coaster of hits and misses that I don't think made its way into the aggregate score at all. I definitely think people had Zelda blinders on for that game, overlooking a lot of issues.

I get it. When zelda is good, it's really effing good. I still have chills about some of the moments in Lanayru desert. But there's a reason that's the only truly memorable area of the game for me, it was the only one that was truly groundbreaking.

Edit. My point is if I had to score skyward sword today I would give it a 85. It's got highs and lows but I don't think it executes a lot of its ideas. But the average for that game sits at 95. Numbers are meaningless, but I hope the same kind of retrospect will be able to be applied to breath of the wild

Thankfully, it doesn't seem like it will.
I assume you mean 93? That's what it's at on metacritic and gamerankings.

I actually don't like Skyward Sword that much, but I think it deserves credit for pushing the ball forward for motion controls (and not just waggle) in a big budget game. From that perspective, I don't have a problem with it being graded higher than, say, Xenoblade 1 (92), or FE:Awakening (same), or Smash Bros 4 (same). I love all those games, but they all have obvious flaws. Scrolling down the list, SS is right next to Skies of Arcadia (93) and Mario 3D World.

None of this seems unreasonable to me?

e: I do think VR controls make Skyward Sword look like a bad tech demo, so from that perspective it hasn't aged well and wouldn't review as well today. But those VR controls might not exist yet, or at least not be as good as they are if not for the trial and error SS (and the Wii Motion+ in general) represents. Someone had to try it.

Philippo

I really can not wait to see how Kyle goes crazy with creative puzzle solving in BotW, hope he plans on streaming it someday.

Logan is a 10 go see it Allies

Year of DREEEEEAMS

Yep, movie is hands down the best comic book movie ever. Hope Huber getsto talk abot it.
Maybe it's because they come out on the same(ish) day, but BotW and Logan kind of share some similarities lol

I really can not wait to see how Kyle goes crazy with creative puzzle solving in BotW, hope he plans on streaming it someday.

Yep, movie is hands down the best comic book movie ever. Hope Huber getsto talk abot it.
Maybe it's because they come out on the same(ish) day, but BotW and Logan kind of share some similarities lol

Tall order when TDK exists. I'll probably go see it today, hopefully better than some of the other overrated superhero movies of late *coughcivilwarcough*

farisr

Already running into dilemmas with my best of videos. I want to showcase some of the less popular content/more easily missed content, but at the same time, it is a "best of" video after all.

I've rendered the week 2 video and it stands at 17 minutes already (past my 10-15 minute sweet spot that I've been aiming for), but omitted the mario oddyssey reaction from the switch presentation (zelda while also a great reaction is going to get omitted for sure). Now, seriously considering going back and just adding (an edited version) of that reaction, as it would be kind of stupid to omit it in a best of video.

This week was gold for Bosman v Wozniak bits and edited versions of those add up to 7 minutes alone. Considering cutting one of those out... decisions decisions.

Budi

Already running into dilemmas with my best of videos. I want to showcase some of the less popular content/more easily missed content, but at the same time, it is a "best of" video after all.

I've rendered the week 2 video and it stands at 17 minutes already (past my 10-15 minute sweet spot that I've been aiming for), but omitted the mario oddyssey reaction from the switch presentation (zelda while also a great reaction is going to get omitted for sure). Now, seriously considering going back and just adding (an edited version) of that reaction, as it would be kind of stupid to omit it in a best of video.

This week was gold for Bosman v Wozniak bits and edited versions of those add up to 7 minutes alone. Considering cutting one of those out... decisions decisions.

These videos you are doing require a huge effort, I don't know if you watch through every show and stream they do? But what I noticed in the first video you shared, it felt very "Best of Bosman". So my suggestion would be to try include everyone in some way.

Thanks for doing these, the video offered something new to me too. Since I don't personally follow streams besides group streams. And hopefully these will also help EZA to reach even wider audience! And hopefully you are having fun doing these :)

farisr

These videos you are doing require a big effort, I don't know if you watch through every show and stream they do? But what I noticed in the first video you shared, it felt very "Best of Bosman". So my suggestion would be to try include everyone in some way.
I do literally go through every video, but the stuff I don't watch usually (which includes all of Bosman's solo streams) I skim through, set it up in a way where I'm skipping 3-6 seconds at a time so I'm able to see their expressions and hear bits of the audio while skimming through as well (it's a whole process, and man does it take long even despite that whole setup). Any video worthy moment would last longer than 6 seconds usually, and it's pretty easy to tell when they're telling a joke or talking a bit different from their usual selves from their expressions or tone of voice, or the expressions of folks around them etc.

Not saying there aren't moments I don't miss but I also read through the relative posts in this thread and others, look at the twitch highlights just to make sure I'm not missing something. In fact, there is a moment in this upcoming video (by Ben) that I would've missed out on if it had not been pointed out by one of the posters earlier on in this thread. It was part of a bigger group moment that was getting included, but a little off to the side which I would've missed while skimming through.

I do try my best to look for good moments from the others, and really do purposely force myself to try and go through others' streams slower looking specifically for moments by them (usually going at a slower pace of skimming through than the Bosman vids) for the same reason (not wanting the video to become a Best Of Bosman video instead). But one of the biggest reasons I'm an Easy Allies fan is because Bosman is there, so maybe there's a bias there that still managed to seep through or his humor just really gels with me. (or maybe he's just that funny and has some of those moments that are more clippable/short in the length compared to the moments with other Allies)

Budi

Thanks for the thorough reply! And yeah it showed that Kyle is your favorite :p Nothing wrong with that, I think we all have our favorites. But it would be great if these videos could represent the whole crew a bit more.

In case you missed my edit on earlier post, I'll say it again. Since I do appreciate the work you put on this.

Thanks for doing these, the video offered something new to me too. Since I don't personally follow streams besides group streams. And hopefully these will also help EZA to reach even wider audience! And hopefully you are having fun doing these :)

Mista Koo

In regards to the podcast and Twitch sales cut.

I want EZA to have no business participating in it. Brad and Damiani are 100% correct. You review games, it's completely off the table.

I think it'll be abused even for normal streamers that don't review games. I don't question their integrity but it muddies the waters and can greatly backfire on growth and positive PR. This could blow up real quick.

They don't do direct donations on stream but Brandon wants to entertain this? Hell no. I'd take give them money directly than this game sale cut twitch thing.
While I see your point, I think their Twitch is separate enough from their reviews. It's not like their game choices are tied to their reviews.

Also if we are being sticklers they have sponsors from the game industry.

I just decided to do as with many other EZA reviews, I just hear that sweet sweet voice of brandon narrating the review with the video hidden so I don't see anything
Last night while listening to to a reading of a Waypoint Zelda article I thought "I wish this was voiced by Jones."
If I can listen to the reviews in my podcast app I would probably start listening to them. And if they regulate the score to the title/description they can just export the audio as is. Someone pass this to them.

Axass

I've been playing it since yesterday. SS and BotW are on two different planes of existence.

I'm so early in the game that I can't tell, but it'll surely have flaws. That said it's amazing so far, also I basically had no problems with the framerate whatsoever. Just very minor drops (like a few frames), in two points of the Plateau. That's it.

Zelda + Shovel Knight + Fast RMX = amazing launch lineup for me.
Put it straight into my veins. Waiting for my delivery ... any minute now .... annnny minute ....

P.S. Damiani's review was great. Comprehensive and professional as always. *thumbs up*

Hasney

It really isn't. It makes you try new weapons and there's a ton just lying around. It's not a bad mechanic, just not for you.

Kneefoil

Waiting for my delivery ... any minute now .... annnny minute ....

I pre-ordered both the Switch and Zelda, but it looks like I won't get my hands on either until Monday. At first it seemed like Zelda was going to arrive even a day or two early, but due to some postal service screw ups, it won't arrive until Monday. I don't mind too much though: I ordered my Switch from a different vendor, and I won't get that before Monday either because the store sent it so late.

In other words, these'll be some very long minutes... or days.

wiibomb

The weapon breaking design is quite interesting because yeah, I can't use indefinitely a weapon I really like, but on the other hand the game is forcing me to try new things and that for me is quite good, even if I go and get a new one of the same weapon I like, I still have to traverse the world to get it, I have to get out of my way to do it.

I found this design decision very interesting, I don't know if I'll like it a lot when I try it, though.

I was watching Damiani's stream yesterday and it at least seemed like the master sword used energy instead of having durability? Does anyone know what that's about? It would make sense that the master sword wouldn't break.

Hasney

First I've heard of it, but it makes sense. The master sword usually needs to seal away Ganon. It can't just break!

wiibomb

that was one of my questions about the MS,if any other weapon breaks, the Master Sword can't just break, it is a vital item for the game.

of course, knowing how it will work is kind of spoiler territory for me, I want to know when I find it eventually

Visceir

DigitalFoundry posted their video on BotW docked vs portable performance differences on switch. Seems like it is actually running better non-docked and the framedrops seem to be mostly unique to the docked experience?

Timestamped video, has footage of the beginning of the game, the great plateau (same as E3).

Anaithsol

Neo Member
I was watching Damiani's stream yesterday and it at least seemed like the master sword used energy instead of having durability? Does anyone know what that's about? It would make sense that the master sword wouldn't break.

The Master Sword cannot break but it has inherit durability in order to prevent a situation where you come to rely just on it over all the other weapons.

When its durability is worn out, it'll enter a cooldown phase which refreshes over a relatively short time beginning the process all over again.

wiibomb

DigitalFoundry posted their video on BotW docked vs portable performance differences on switch. Seems like it is actually running better non-docked and the framedrops seem to be mostly unique to the docked experience?

Timestamped video, has footage of the beginning of the game, the great plateau (same as E3).

I'm completely sure this can be fixed in a patch by Nintendo with some optimizations, this game is using the very basics of the Switch hardware, they can fix that.

However, we are talking about Nintendo here.

Baha Damiani on Gameinformer as a shill magazine.

he totally corrected that later, he meant Gamestop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom