• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Ryo_

Was Bosmans reaction to Shenmue III genuine? I haven't really seem him act anything even close to like that for anything since that announcement.

Was Bosmans reaction to Shenmue III genuine? I haven't really seem him act anything even close to like that for anything since that announcement.
He was freaking out because of Huber

I think you need the context of Final Bets to get why that E3 was so special

Kyle never played Shenmue, Huber isn't big on FFVII, Kyle was super hyped on Last Guardian. Everyone was excited for the things their friends were excited for that they never thought would actually happen

Out of those 3 Shenmue is an insane crazy person announcement that for all intents and purposes, shouldn't have happened. It was insane

sora87

Shenmue 3 was one of the mythical E3 announcements that everyone wanted for years but never got, mostly everyone was freaking out, even people who've never played Shenmue.

_Ryo_

He was freaking out because of Huber

I think you need the context of Final Bets to get why that E3 was so special

Kyle never played Shenmue, Huber isn't big on FFVII, Kyle was super hyped on Last Guardian. Everyone was excited for the things their friends were excited for that they never thought would actually happen

Out of those 3 Shenmue is an insane crazy person announcement that for all intents and purposes, shouldn't have happened. It was insane

Shenmue 3 was one of the mythical E3 announcements that everyone wanted for years but never got, mostly everyone was freaking out, even people who've never played Shenmue.

Thanks. context does help. I didn't watch much Game Trailers in the past, so I didn't have any idea about the bets and stuff.

demu

Same here, I always start with the EZA for the pre show, then watch the conference alone by myself and after it's finished I switch back to EZA for the replay, the reactions and opinions. Twice the fun and I get a lot of mileage out of E3 that way. It's also the one time a year where being on a different day/night cycle has its advantages if you watch it like that. And yes, it is better than Christmas for me as well.
That's the way to do it. Just thinking about it makes me so hyped for this years E3 coverage, man.

frametrap when

Mista Koo

I first watch press conferences by themselves and then their reactions later. I've tried watching Giant Bomb's and Kinda Funny's live reactions but vastly prefer Easy Allies.
Me and my friends usually try to arrange a viewing party. When that doesn't happen I would watch Giant Bomb's stream first. After that I watch Easy Allies' since they sometimes overpower the stream, this way I watch them watch it instead.

I only watch Nintendo's stuff directly. Generally it's the only one I care about enough to give it most of my attention. And I only watch the 3rd party press conferences for the commentary.
This reminds me of the main time period I used to visit GT. To watch all the E3 trailers in a time before I was able to watch anything live.

I've been rewatching almost all of their reaction videos (where they watch the press conferences live) from E3 on. I've watched all of their E3 press conference reaction videos (except Bethesda because at least part of it is muted on Youtube), as well as their PSX and Switch reveal ones.

It's interesting how upset they (and basically everyone else) were when EA barely showed anything of Mass Effect: Andromeda at E3 and how it ended up turning out. Even with that EA's press conference is still pretty bad. No one (that I remember) gave it above a 1.5/5. I thought Microsoft's press conference was decent when it first happened, but on rewatch, especially after Sony's, it is not that good on rewatch. They go into wide shots really often and have to tell us basically everything is Xbox and Windows 10 exclusive. The biggest issue rewatching it though is "one of our biggest releases for 2017" Scalebound getting cancelled. It didn't demo well, but it's still a massive shock with how often they've shown it. I think everyone gave it either a 3.5/5 or a 4/5, but someone might have given is a 3/5. Ubisoft probably had the worst pacing of any of them with almost every game having a 5+ minute segment. Even with that though, it's still a decent press conference. The South Park: The Fractured But Whole segment is my favorite moment from any of the E3 press conferences last year. It felt weird seeing Bloodworth laughing so hard. The Trials of the Blood Dragon guys were great too. Everything else ranged from decent (Watch Dogs 2, Steep) to stupid (Assassin's Creed movie, the fake dialogue in the Ghost Recon: Wildlands demo). I can't remember what they scored it, but the general consensus was slightly below Microsoft's and the same as Bethesda.

Sony's 2016 E3 press conference is still really good. Their minds were completely blown during the Resident Evil 7 reveal. They probably overhyped this a little, although the game still turned out well. Skylanders is completely out of place in the press conference but Layden coming out of Crash's shadow was awesome. I'm sure Lego Star Wars was only there because of the orchestra. Everyone except for Damiani (who gave it a 4.5/5) gave it a 5/5. Sony's PSX press conference isn't quite as good on rewatch. The first half is really good, but it drags a bit late. I'm a little saddened that they all viewed Knack 2 as a joke. I could tell early in the trailer that it was a sequel, but they all thought it was DLC or something until it revealed a 2 at the end. Sony had 2 montages where they didn't name any of the games in them. The Last of Us Part 2 trailer, while I personally have 0 interest in it, is still a very strong reveal. I don't think they rated it.

Their Nintendo Switch press conference reactions are interesting. Everyone seems really excited from it when it ends, but as they're recapping it and details are coming out, they start to sour on it a bit. My reaction on it is they went too far both ways on the press conference. They got a bit too excited for it but then soured on it too much. They ranked is between a D and C+. Personally I'd give it a B- purely for the press conference and nothing that came after. Also Don's story of when he was a kid is incredibly disturbing.

It's all about expectations. PSX is a B tier show, no-one expected Sony to announce two new Naughty Dog games there, whereas the Switch reveal was meant to be Nintendo's big coming out party, the place they announced a ton of games. I think their reactions were appropriate in context.

I should probably rewatch them at some point too. I remember Microsoft's conference being pretty dire because they only announced 3 games total, one of which was a new Forza (which turned out good but was about as surprising as a new FIFA) and another was a timed exclusive. Sea of Thieves was basically the one highlight.

Same here, I always start with the EZA for the pre show, then watch the conference alone by myself and after it's finished I switch back to EZA for the replay, the reactions and opinions. Twice the fun and I get a lot of mileage out of E3 that way. It's also the one time a year where being on a different day/night cycle has its advantages if you watch it like that. And yes, it is better than Christmas for me as well.

I'm kinda the same. I have three monitors so I'll usually have one on the direct feed stream, one on the EZA stream and one on GAF. For the minor conferences (Bethesda, EA and Ubisoft), I don't really care enough to bother watching their direct feeds live, so I'll just listen to EZA talk over them. Catching Jones' BF1 trailer rant live was the highlight of EA's conference last year. But for the major conferences, I'll mute them during the conferences themselves and rewatch their reactions afterwards.

I enjoyed the latest episode of Talking Zelda. Probably my favorite episode yet. It was entertaining to see Jones gleefully twist the knife in Brad and Damiani's heart as he looked to find the break point of their fandom. How far would they sell out due to their franchise love.

Me and my friends usually try to arrange a viewing party. When that doesn't happen I would watch Giant Bomb's stream first. After that I watch Easy Allies' since they sometimes overpower the stream, this way I watch them watch it instead.

I only watch Nintendo's stuff directly. Generally it's the only one I care about enough to give it most of my attention. And I only watch the 3rd party press conferences for the commentary.
This reminds me of the main time period I used to visit GT. To watch all the E3 trailers in a time before I was able to watch anything live.

I've always wanted real life friends to watch E3 with but I've never had any. Nintendo's Switch reveal was the first time I even had someone to talk to online with as it was going on.

Finally watched Easy Update. Fun game that plays to their improv strengths.

I absolutely loved the ending with Huber's odd request to work around some package arrival from MLB. Brad was hilarious and having Kyle lose it was the icing on the cake.

Does he spoil anything? I've been on media blackout until now.

Seeing as how the game isn't technically out yet, I highly doubt it. If you're full media blackout though then you may be sensitive to some of it as I'm assuming he'll cover basics you might see in trailers or previews etc.

He's said since that he was excited for Huber and the presence of the announcement rather than the announcement itself. Although he sat in on a good part of the Shenmue streams IIRC, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was a bit excited.

Ultimadrago

Props to Kyle for bringing up Night in the Woods on Frametrap! I hope Ben does take his word on it and checks it out. I take Kyle as a very emotional being to the sense that I can see him largely bringing up the game being "Sad", which it certainly goes there. However, it's about all manner of responses one treks with those they love or are getting to know like anger, happiness, acceptance and defeat while maintaining that wide-eyed youthful, yet ever so cynical voice. On the mechanics vs. game portion, there are segments of the game that unfortunately make a poor divide and focus on the limited platforming without offering much else. They are very brief and there are only about four in the game, but they were not executed well and should be pointed out.

I really like how he brought up that the script certainly aims for the direction in a way that can alienate (For example, many of the characters say "Eh." much more than any group of people I've ever met. It's the type of tick you'd expect from a modern indie game or "Millennial" take that at times took me out of a few of the conversations). However, the payoffs for that strong direction were much greater for me personally.

Again, I hope Huber covers more on it (without spoiling too much about the daily interactions/secrets).

MAtgS

[pointlessnitpick]Technically they don't say what race the worker that died was. If it was Krogan or Asari, then their next of kin can still be alive.[/pointlessnitpick]

zUKEx8y.jpg

This is the only appropriate reaction to someone saying they are going to 100% Ghost Recon: Wildlands.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Ben having the criticism for P5 of being reminded of archtypes.
Just going to spoiler tag it for safety but honestly I'll keep it vague.
I kind of get it but at the same time felt very selective :-x with the examples I feel like. Yes it's kind of easy to make that comparison that the Chariot is kind of the loud friend again. I kind of get it but honestly not mentioning other characters that are very quite fresh this time around(like Lovers) kind maybe over pronounced it as an issue? + even with characters like the Chariot they go down very different paths and become very much their own. Lovers, Emperor, Hermit for example were characters that were pretty fresh to me this time around. Of course you could boil them down to certain combination of other archtypes but you can do that with everything. I'll admit though given that my view is very much entrenched in me seeing all story lines to completion, I could maybe see that impressions of similarity are more pronounced when you're right in the middle of most storylines.
Ok this part is vague spoilery on characteristic on Emperor and Hermit but nothing about the storylines.
I especially enjoyed Emperor and Hermit as oddballs with weird twists to them that made them kind of occupy the uncanny valley of oddness for me never quite fully conforming to my expectations of oddness in fiction but still very much having their own takes on eccentric behavior. :-x I think it's because both kind of display a type of self awareness but in the end of the day still are very much happy with themselves despite they both knowing they are quite a bit outside the spectrum that would be considered normal.
Spoiler mode hopes also tagged for safetey
I super hope that whenever the P5 spoiler mode happens everyone will have a lot to say about the themes within the game and how they related to them. Also wonder how they'd deal with the politics that are part of the game. I feel like it's so interesting how despite many conflicts being inspired from real Japanese news, the time Persona 5 hit made them globally more relevant.

Just felt like speaking about it not because I wanted to devalue that sentiment just that I thought it was interesting cause I'm kind of a stickler for that stuff too but I went away from the game being quite content in how it differentiated itself character wise.
I had more issues with core systems. I also thought a certain thing in relation to romance stuff was pretty stupid and immersion breaking.
-----------
My two things that I think and hope are going to be explored more for turn based combat are usability and combat balance.
Usability is a clear thing when look at Persona 5 doing these simple things just trying to cut down menu navigation in combat as much as they can as well as making everything feel fast or if it isn't fast at least not boring to look at. Honestly it's insane to me that not more JRPGs have tried to push this aspect. I hope P5 does create the impetus for a lot of them to reconsider this stuff again. Right now I have only faith that Falcom will learn strong lesson from P5 as they're generally chasing trends often to a fault.

As for combat balance this is hard to talk about but having played Dota 2 now for a couple years and thinking about what makes turn based actually super enjoyable and coming to the conclusion that it's the interplay of not only the actual combat systems but very often the supporting power growth systems that make turn based generally engaging. If we'd cut all the Fusion out of Persona we'd be left with something painfully basic bordering boring I'd say.
I feel like when it comes to systems and general balance JRPGs still have a ton of room to explore given that I've yet still to encounter a turnbased system that doesn't just break down in certain aspects through player exploitation(often leading to very repetitive combat actions).
If people can crack that nut and make JRPG combat way more dynamic/demanding for moment to moment decisions I think it would be more interesting.

Basically I want the Dark Souls style of difficulty balancing to be married into turn based. Lots of system like SMT that are considered hard are actually in my opinion pretty bs when it comes to difficulty. They're difficulty is more about cheapness or too easily exploited. I want to play a JRPG where defeat gives me a stronger sense about what mistakes I made and it shouldn't just be limited to "decisions of 1 turn before" but also having to reconsider maybe decisions of 4 turns before I end in a deadend battlewise.

MrMette

So many Drawn to Death votes on the Patreon poll just for the memes... I hope Monoply keeps its lead.

When I voted, Drawn to Death had 40% of the votes and Monopoly had 43, so It should be fine as a lot of people switched to Golden Eye apparently. As long as it's not Drawn To Death, It's fine with me (I voted for Monopoly as I really enjoyed it the first time they played it).

Karu

So many Drawn to Death votes on the Patreon poll just for the memes... I hope Monoply keeps its lead.
I'm geniunely curious. Played it for little bit last year or so and was kinda disappointed with Drawn to Death back then. If it would devolve into a meme stream I would be disappointed *shrug*. But monopoly wins anyway, so whatever. :p

People make it sound like Monopoly is the one standout option. Drawn to Death is the only new game.
I don't care if it's new or not. I don't think It will make a good stream. I can't even find out if it has split screen support. It said it was out in 2015. So it seems likely it'd be two hours of them playing online against others for a game that doesn't look great and got little good feedback from the beta. The bottom line is most that voted for it did it so they could get a reaction of Kyle playing the game.

I want entertaining streams and Monopoly always delivers on this front. And if Monopoly wasn't up for a vote I'd go with Goldeneye

Edit: and I just saw Kyle platinumed Parapa last night. Can't wait for that Weds stream.

So just like Monopoly then.

No lies detected. Worst board game.

I've already put 5 hours into Persona 5 and I love it so much. The beginning is a bit slow and handhold-y but I guess that's probably needed since Persona 5 will be a LOT of people's first Persona. But the worst part of the game is Atlus' moronic decision to block all Share features throughout the entire game. I just want to take some cool screenshots, Atlus, why you gotta be dicks about it?

Listening to Ben talk about Persona 5 during Frame Trap really got me excited to play, my first intro into the series. Steelbook is on the way today!.

Servbot24

Banned
Listening to Ben talk about Persona 5 during Frame Trap really got me excited to play, my first intro into the series. Steelbook is on the way today!.

My steelbook is arriving today, but the dilemma is that I am in full swing working through Nier Autamata. Not to mention I'm just 5 hours into both Horizon and FFXV...

I love that Huber got Kyle and Hobbes to agree to play P5. We need a Brandon plays Pokemon style show dedicated to this.

I know this won't happen but it would be friggin amazing since it's their first time and they could agree on in game dates to stop playing between episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom