• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are so many people so down on Drawn to Death? It looks like a fairly unique third person arena shooter. I understand not liking the aesthetic, but I don't think that makes the game objectively terrible. Aesthetically it reminds me a lot of Madworld.

Servbot24

Banned
I'm on route B of Nier and I gotta say... I expressed concern before release that the second playthrough would basically be the same with different cut scenes. I was laughed out of town. Now I'm playing it... and that's exactly what it is. >:|

I've heard later routes are better, but B is testing my patience a bit

MrMette

Why are so many people so down on Drawn to Death? It looks like a fairly unique third person arena shooter. I understand not liking the aesthetic, but I don't think that makes the game objectively terrible. Aesthetically it reminds me a lot of Madworld.

For me it's because of the way Jaffe handled himself after the Kyle sketch.
It's not my type of game, but I usually like that kind of esthetic and I didn't have any problems with the game until that point.

I was probably never going to play it as I usually don't play (online) shooters, but I would wish him the best with his game. After that whole thing, I hope the game fails hard.
And no, not because it was Kyle who was involved, I just think Jaffe behaved himself like a spoiled child, and I just think professionals who behave like that should be punished because of it (by nobody playing his game and by boycotting it in the media).
It was really pathetic imo and while I am sure he was under a lot of stress, I don't think it's smart to do something like this (as the face of a studio no less).

That said, I don't mind other people liking the game either. If it does well, good for them.

I'm on route B of Nier and I gotta say... I expressed concern before release that the second playthrough would basically be the same with different cut scenes. I was laughed out of town. Now I'm playing it... and that's exactly what it is. >:|

B sucks. The first half is route A but worse in most ways. The second half thankfully picks up. Route C is fairly solid.

The Mass Effect review is still coming right?
Just wondering if it'll be before or after this weeks patch. Seems like a waste of time to drop the review before the patch.

For me it's because of the way Jaffe handled himself after the Kyle sketch.
It's not my type of game, but I usually like that kind of esthetic and I didn't have any problems with the game until that point.

I was probably never going to play it as I usually don't play (online) shooters, but I would wish him the best with his game. After that whole thing, I hope the game fails hard.
And no, not because it was Kyle who was involved, I just think Jaffe behaved himself like a spoiled child, and I just think professionals who behave like that should be punished because of it (by nobody playing his game and by boycotting it in the media).
It was really pathetic imo and while I am sure he was under a lot of stress, I don't think it's smart to do something like this (as the face of a studio no less).

That said, I don't mind other people liking the game either. If it does well, good for them.

Fair enough. I try to separate the creator from the product when I can, but I understand when it is difficult to do so. Also, I'm not trying to justify the way Jaffe acted, but I sympathize that it must be difficult to put so much time and effort into developing a game and have people take it apart or dismiss it.

Servbot24

Banned
Fair enough. I try to separate the creator from the product when I can, but I understand when it is difficult to do so. Also, I'm not trying to justify the way Jaffe acted, but I sympathize that it must be difficult to put so much time and effort into developing a game and have people take it apart or dismiss it.

No one needs to justify Jaffe's actions, he didn't do anything wrong.

MrMette

I am not saying it is a bad game and I understand people can be on edge when they hear bad things about the game they are working on for so long. That said, he needs the media/journalists more (to bring his game to the gamers) than of the other way around.

There are too many good games to play as is. Almost nobody would care if Drawn To Death released now, in a year or never. Kyle gave his game attention (I totally forgot about it at that time) and he just completely misplayed it (on multiple occasions, especially calling him out again at PSX). Release a new trailer or do an interview about your game after something like that happens.

But I have to admit that putting it on PS+ is a genius move which possibly saves his game from being snowed under by all the great games releasing at this moment (I think they should have waited a couple of months to release it, but maybe that was not possible budget wise).

I was hyped on it from reveal. It was essentially a Twisted Metal successor from the creator with some legitimately good ideas

I got in the beta and played several times (some times with Jaffe even) and enjoyed it. Unfortunately player levels were too low to really play when I wanted to so I stopped

The Jaffe stuff has honestly soured me on it and as a lifelong Twisted Metal fan I don't even care anymore. It's not even like "hurr durr #IStandWithEZA", dude just came off like a fucking baby and it's like whatever then. I don't want to support you. (responding to Kyle initially was dumb but to keep ranting about it and bring it up at PSX???)

I'll get back to it at some point but right now there's a bunch of other games I'd rather spend my time on. I just hope there's still players at that point

I totally get where he's coming from being upset. I love car combat and anything vaguely resembling that nowadays is instantly dismissed as dated trash. Yooka Laylee is about to come out to similar apprehension

Drawn To Death isn't even dated in a mechanical sense, it's just very much hearkening back to the attitude of a lot of those games from the PS1 era. I dig the artstyle because even though it's "rough", I always wanted to draw in that style when I was in school but wasn't even capable enough for that lol. There's a lot of good there. Idk.

MrMette

No one needs to justify Jaffe's actions, he didn't do anything wrong.

I totally get why he got upset (although I don't think it was justified) and I get how you can tweet like he did in the heat of the moment. The PSX thing is something different and doing that as the head of a company, it does make me think he is not the sharpest tool in the shed.

There is no benefit of acting like that and the only thing you get is that some people will dismiss you as an idiot. But we will see, if his game does well, he fixed it by releasing it on PS+ I guess.

Servbot24

Banned
I totally get why he got upset (although I don't think it was justified) and I get how you can tweet like he did in the heat of the moment. The PSX thing is something different and doing that as the head of a company, it does make me think he is not the sharpest tool in the shed.

There is no benefit of acting like that and the only thing you get is that some people will dismiss you as an idiot. But we will see, if his game does well, he fixed it by releasing it on PS+ I guess.

I just doubt he really cares whether someone online likes whether or not he likes a particular games journo/personality. Personally I can't really fathom how it's possible to care about either. Obviously everyone will be disliked by someone, big whoop.

Roubjon

You can literally blow through the "boring" parts of B in like, 2 hours.

Servbot24

Banned
You can literally blow through the "boring" parts of B in like, 2 hours.

I'm a few hours in and it's still in replay mode but hopefully i'm on the cusp (coming up on the forest castle), so hopefully I'm on the cusp. Unfortunately I only have one or two hours per week to play games, so these types of things can buck me off a game pretty easily. Thankfully Route A was so great that I want to stick with it.

Mista Koo

Not gonna turn this thread into board gaming snobbary. I'll try to get into the Monopoly stream, in fact I planned on watching the launch stream since people raved about it but I'll just watch this week's now. Anyway you don't need a good game for a good stream.

I love that Huber got Kyle and Jones to agree to play P5. We need a Brandon plays Pokemon style show dedicated to this.
I was thinking that too. Especially since this is a game I might play later and it would be my first Persona.

Except act like an asshole at PSX.
That's a typical Jaffe response though.

Roubjon

I'm a few hours in and it's still in replay mode but hopefully i'm on the cusp (coming up on the forest castle), so hopefully I'm on the cusp. Unfortunately I only have one or two hours per week to play games, so these types of things can buck me off a game pretty easily. Thankfully Route A was so great that I want to stick with it.

Yeah you're getting really close then. I'm glad you're sticking with it though, it definitely picks up.

Vinc

I love that Huber got Kyle and Jones to agree to play P5. We need a Brandon plays Pokemon style show dedicated to this.

Oh my... yes please. I guess it might be super hard to fit in everyone's schedule... maybe make it a segment in the group stream for the next little while? Just check in with everyone or something... idk.

Oh my... yes please. I guess it might be super hard to fit in everyone's schedule... maybe make it a segment in the group stream for the next little while? Just check in with everyone or something... idk.

Maybe we can get a short update next time Huber is on the podcast.

MrMette

I think that's a wonderful idea, although I probably will not be able to watch it very soon.
I have P5 since yesterday (I got it one day early from the online shop I ordered), but I really don't have time to play it unfontunately.

I do plan on playing it however (I also have P4G and never played it and I don't want this to happen to P5 as well, this has to be my first Persona game). The problem I have is that my backlog is insanely big and I have a lot of unfinished games (Yakuza Zero, which I haven't played for almost 2 months, Deus Ex MD, FFXV, TLG, Hitman and even older ones like The Witcher 3 and Fallout 4). I just don't have the time and I am somewhat afraid of beginning such a long game (which was the same problem I had with P4G), which sucks.

But I really like the idea of them doing a show like that. It will make a great show (although I can imagine it will be difficult to avoid spoilers) and I am sure there will be a lot of people watching it (and it will boost Persona's popularity even more).

These Persona 5 streaming rules Atlas just put up... jesus christ.
Super Best Friends literally just cancelled their LP (thank God) in the middle of a recording session when they found out.

Remember kids, Japanese media companies do not give a fuck about non-Japanese markets beyond making money off them, and routinely fuck over their US/EU subsidiaries. SEGA is a good gaming example, and Bandai Japan's mishandling of Gundam in the US is great anime example.

wmlk

not if we don't show footage. The original series didn't.

I just find the idea less exciting when it's only people talking about the game for an hour with no clips. I think with Persona since everyone's playthrough is different, showing different sides/Social Links/Cooperation is half the appeal for something like this.

It's not like Pokémon where we already know what happens and how it happens, when there's usually only one way of doing things.

Of course, not using any footage works too. I just think it would do a lot to improve a show like that. But at the same time, that also increases the time and scope of the show to maybe becoming unreasonable.

Mista Koo

Blood: Since you speak about your GDC coverage, I was really interested in the indie games you all mentioned on that Frame Trap. I wanted to look them up but I forgot to write their names down and didn't care enough to go back to the episode.

Also VR Falkor would be the only thing even more repulsive than Torico *runs away*

And it looked much better for it.

Ultimadrago

That new Zelda talk! Amiibo woes/rants are heated. It's always fun to hear Brandon Jones get hot about it with all of his Skylanders/Infinity experience. It was a good Zelda Talk topic.

Vinc

Yeah I wouldn't mind this one bit. I'd probably only listen to it anyway. I'd love for that series to happen! Maybe limit each episode up to a certain day in the in-game calendar, so the community can know when it's safe to watch each episode and can follow it alongside playing the game for themselves.

Kneefoil

I probably wouldn't watch any Persona 5 anyway due to me wanting to go in completely blind, but that's still an awful thing for Atlus to do. Not only threatening people with Content ID claims, but strikes as well.

Sooo I wonder if Bens persona 5 stream is still happening.

He could double down on Xenoblade. I wouldn't mind two XC streams within 24 hours.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I love the Zelda Talk podcast. These kinds of in-depth podcasts, like Brandon Plays Pokémon, are pretty much irrelevant if you don't like the series, but are great otherwise.

Just want to echo everyone else and say a BPP style show for Persona 5 would be amazing.
I also agree with this

They could have Ben host with Jones and Kyle as the newbies to the series. Each session set a calendar date in the game to get to to discuss. If having 3 people is too much then scale it down to either Jones or Kyle

MrMette

It's like they don't want the game to be popular or something. I completely understand where Atlus is coming from, but threatening with content ID and banning accounts is completely over the top.

You would also think they would be happy that people want to shout from the rooftops how great their game is. In understand their fear of spoilers, but the more exposure for games like these, the better imo.

I probably wouldn't watch it before playing it either (although I did check out some tips today as it is my first Persona game), but I never understand why companies don't see that youtube/twitch exposure means more possible sales.
And then they are complaining that there isn't a lot of interest in the west (maybe not that big of a problem for the Persona series, but still).

Nintendo does a similar thing (but they don't block it off, I guess, they just steal the streamers' money). It seems they are just oo old-fashioned or something.

ShadyK54

Just want to echo everyone else and say a BPP style show for Persona 5 would be amazing.

Another echo here as well.

6 hours in so far & it just feels right. Going from P4G to P5 is of course jarring, but I love the sense of wonder & discovery it brings.

Hasney

It's like they don't want the game to be popular or something. I completely understand where Atlus is coming from, but threatening with content ID and banning accounts is completely over the top.

You would also think they would be happy that people want to shout from the rooftops how great their game is. In understand their fear of spoilers, but the more exposure for games like these, the better imo.

I probably wouldn't watch it before playing it either (although I did check out some tips today as it is my first Persona game), but I never understand why companies don't see that youtube/twitch exposure means more possible sales.
And then they are complaining that there isn't a lot of interest in the west (maybe not that much of a problem for the Persona series, but still).

Nintendo does a similar thing (but they don't block it off, I guess, they just steal the streamers' money). It seems they are just oo old-fashioned or something.

Giant Bomb were talking about it and said that if the game had nothing else to offer other than its story, they could understand it, but that's not the case with Atlus games and anecdotally based on their full play through of 4, their users were saying that they're going to buy it after seeing all the videos.

As for the game itself, I'm about to hit August and I think gameplay wise, everything is improved over 4. There isn't anything in that respect that I would take in P4 (or 3 for that matter) over it. But I do prefer the vibe and characters of 4 and think it more as I play through.

That's not a knock though, the characters, situations and story are all fantastic yet again, but I think which you prefer in those aspects in 3, 4 or 5 comes down to personal preference rather than them just nailing it in one game.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Gotta say being in that Persona 5 localization thread makes me bummed. Not because I think that's like game ruining but man a game like Persona 5 deserves a top notch localization of the likes of Yakuza 0 or the Trails games. It seems to be weirdly clunky to be honest.

Kneefoil

All this P5 talk reminds me that I should jump back on P3P. I already beat FES several years ago, but I wanted to see how different the girl route would be. Had to stop playing it in January due to other games, though. I think I was almost done with the summer vacation.

Philippo

And then they are complaining that there isn't a lot of interest in the west (maybe not that big of a problem for the Persona series, but still).

What i don't get it is that word of mouth was exactly what made P4 famous, so i really don't get why would Atlus cockblock the same phenomenon with 5.

Hasney

Gotta say being in that Persona 5 localization thread makes me bummed. Not because I think that's like game ruining but man a game like Persona 5 deserves a top notch localization of the likes of Yakuza 0 or the Trails games. It seems to be weirdly clunky to be honest.

I see those screenshots and see why people are annoyed, but I don't feel that way while playing the game. A lot of the translation quirks come off as character quirks more often than not. You'll notice a lot of the quotes are your optional responses or Igor saying them.

All this P5 talk reminds me that I should jump back on P3P. I already beat FES several years ago, but I wanted to see how different the girl route would be. Had to stop playing it in January due to other games, though. I think I was almost done with the summer vacation.

I really wanted to play through that route, but the pointer based static over world bummed me out too much I kinda wish someone could just mod FES somehow.

For me, I felt that way from playing it pre-release. It's just not fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom