• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadyK54

Gotta say being in that Persona 5 localization thread makes me bummed. Not because I think that's like game ruining but man a game like Persona 5 deserves a top notch localization of the likes of Yakuza 0 or the Trails games. It seems to be weirdly clunky to be honest.

Weird to see people feel that way. I don't think I've had a moment where I stopped and thought "Well that just doesn't sound right." I don't really get it lol.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I see those screenshots and see why people are annoyed, but I don't feel that way while playing the game. A lot of the translation quirks come off as character quirks more often than not. You'll notice a lot of the quotes are your optional responses or Igor saying them.
Mmmh honestly I don't like that excuse mostly against cause I've seen better work from smaller teams. When I read the Trails games translations blogs(like people should consider them incredibly lucky to have these people of incredibly passion behind the trails games) and see the insane level of quality in the localization of those games it just isn't right that whatever happened to P5 happened. That game deserves the best of the best. I've even seen translators scratching their heads on twitter a bit. + There have been bits that have been just grammatically wrong.

Like I said I don't regard that as game ruining or fatal thing but it feels like that little splinter stuck beneath your skin. I just don't like it when stuff like that is excused away. I'm going to watch more streams and see how wide spread it is though. Like I guess if it's only 1% I can at least maybe understand that people haven't mentioned it too much but if this is something more noticeable throughout the entire game it's another upset with reviews moment for me. Don't care if that stuff isn't weighted in the score but it should be mentioned.

MrMette

What i don't get it is that word of mouth was exactly what made P4 famous, so i really don't get why would Atlus cockblock the same phenomenon with 5.
Yeah, I agree. Their series is becoming quite popular with Persona 4 (Golden mostly), but they should have done an extra push with this one as JRPGs are not the most popular genres in the west (they do have an avid fanbase however).

Also, while I will probably not watch Persona 5 footage, their game is a 16+ game (in Europe anyway). I think people of 16+ can decide for themselves if they want to see footage or not.

MrMette

Gotta say being in that Persona 5 localization thread makes me bummed. Not because I think that's like game ruining but man a game like Persona 5 deserves a top notch localization of the likes of Yakuza 0 or the Trails games. It seems to be weirdly clunky to be honest.

I haven't read the thread, but I saw this one on the EU playstation blog:
https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...alisation-authentic-to-the-japanese-original/

That seems to be the complete opposite of what you are saying (which is insane that they post an article like that if that isn't the case, just post nothing).
That would suck. I will play it with Japanese audio (I love that they give this option as DLC for free as I usually like to play my games in the original language), but it's a bummer if the text isn't properly translated. Luckily I don't understand Japanese (except for a word here and there).

Kneefoil

I really wanted to play through that route, but the pointer based static over world bummed me out too much I kinda wish someone could just mod FES somehow.
While the 3D overworld is definitely more immersive, I do sort of like the pointer based overworld. It let's you get around a bit quicker.

My main issues with Portable are how much easier they made getting money and maxing your courage, academics, etc. stats. The fact that you can control all of your units instead of relying on AI is also something I'm not very fond of because it trivializes so many of the fights, and turns Persona 3 into a babby game. It's very obvious the battles were not designed with full player control in mind.

Of course, I could just choose to not take advantage of these new opportunities, but I absolutely hate gimping myself in games like that. I somewhat regret not picking a higher difficulty setting.

The cutscenes lacking the 3D model animations is also a definite bummer, but it is on the PSP, so can't really blame Atlus for going full visual novel for the cutscenes.

Party members not getting tired in Tartarus is BS, too.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't read the thread, but I saw this one on the EU playstation blog:
https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...alisation-authentic-to-the-japanese-original/

That seems to complete opposite of what you are saying.
That would suck. I will play it with Japanese audio (I love that they give this option as DLC for free as I usually like to play my games in the original language), but it's a bummer if the text isn't properly translated. Luckily I don't understand Japanese (except for a word here and there).
I don' t know yet how widespread it is. That said I don't think a ps blog post is anything to take srsly as a counterpoint in this. Ps blog is a promotion side you won't see anything critical on there. Example pretty much their entire coverage on NMS.

I'll also encourage again people to play in English in case they have played Persona 3 or 4 in English/have no familiarity with the games in Japanese.
That familiarity is leveraged in the sixth sense kind of ways(probably not quite true but the best way I've come up with so far to explain it without spoiling) that people would otherwise miss out on. It's that extra layer of greatness that I encourage people to experience. Like with the sixth sense you get only one shot at it. You can always rewatch that movie in a different language but you never can unknow its twist.
+ I've also seen it mentioned that the Japanese DLC lacks a lot of subtitles.
-------------
As for the people that don't have problems I'm happy. But be aware that doesn't really mean they don't exist. Some people have no problems with FFXV story. Some people have no problems with DA2 reuse of environments. Some people have no problems with MEA animations.
So I'm not going to argue against that I've seen it all and also in my experience it's a bit of a time waste. Instead again I'm super happy for the people that can enjoy stuff without taking issue with things.

I can only say that my concerns come from someone that learned goddamn Japanese for exactly the Persona series. This has been a huge motivator for me to pick up the language. Suffice to say that I probably love the series more than your average person.
I've also been all my life someone that generally prefers the original vs the dub/localization/etc. This has been true for almost everything books, movies, games. But of course to everything there are exceptions and those exceptions are mostly because of such quality that it just is that noticeable.
Having played 1.5 Kiseki games in JP and 4 in English now for example I actually prefer those games in English that's how much effort those people put in.
So with those kind of experiences without devaluing anyone else's experience I just hope people can go recognize that while themselves might not have issues that there might be good reasons for people like me mentioning them.

MrMette

I don' t know yet how widespread it is. That said I don't think a ps blog post is anything to take srsly as a counterpoint in this. Ps blog is a promotion side you won't see anything critical on there. Example pretty much their entire coverage on NMS.

I'll also encourage again people to play in English in case they have played Persona 3 or 4 in English/have no familiarity with the games in Japanese.
That familiarity is leveraged in the sixth sense kind of ways(probably not quite true but the best way I've come up with so far to explain it without spoiling) that people would otherwise miss out on. It's that extra layer of greatness that I encourage people to experience. Like with the sixth sense you get only one shot at it. You can always rewatch that movie in a different language but you never can unknow its twist.
+ I've also seen it mentioned that the Japanese DLC lacks a lot of subtitles.

I totally agree that this isn't a counterpoint. I just find it crazy that they post something like that if people are freaking out about the localization. If they see people complaining about the localization, they shouldn't post that they made sure the localization is great...

I haven't played any Persona game before, but I really hope all subs are in the Japanese DLC. Also, I hope it isn't as bad as Ni No Kuni (which I love). I played it in Japanse, but the subs were very, very bad for Drippy. It seemed like they took the English dub and used that text for subtitles and it was really frustrating to read.

I will start in Japanese and just see if I understand everything or not (aka, if there are enough subs), otherwise I will switch to English (against my will, but yeah :p).
I have done this for Lost Odyssey as well as I almost couldn't read the subs on my SDTV (back then) because they were made for HDTVs and were too small, so I switched after some hours as it was too tiring.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I totally agree that this isn't a counterpoint. I just find it crazy that they post something like that if people are freaking out about the localization. If they see people complaining about the localization, they shouldn't post that they made sure the localization is great...

I haven't played any Persona before, but I really hope all subs are in the Japanese DLC. Also, I hope it isn't as bad as Ni No Kuni (which I love). I played it in Japanse, but the subs were very, very bad for Drippy. It seemed like they took the English dub and used that text for subtitles and it was really frustrating to read.

I will start in Japanese and just see if I understand everything or not (aka, if there are enough subs).

In that case yeah you're actually good to go with whatever language you prefer.
And yes Ni no Kuni is a pretty stellar localization but given that it is, it's probably pretty jarring to play that with JP voices and just the English text as it is. The dissonance would be pretty big.

I played that game in both languages. Well I played it in JP and couch backseated for a friend when it came out in English :p. And the English does take a lot of creative freedom but from what I could see for always the right reasons and to great effect.
Like I'm the first to moan an illogical name changes but Shizuku -> Drippy is pretty good.

Ni No Kuni is probably the best localization job I can think of. It's amazing.
Not just that, but the effort to do it for the damn book too? So good.
One of the best I've seen too. I always like to throw around Disney level localization in that context especially related to when people also nail the voices to such degree. Cause Disney movies at least the ones I've seen you can honestly watch them in any language and nothing generally will seem out of place.
Ni no Kuni is that for me mostly. While I love the Trails series for their translations :-x I play those games on mute when in English well also helps that the Sky series has almost no voice acting.

wmlk

Hasney

Mmmh honestly I don't like that excuse mostly against cause I've seen better work from smaller teams. When I read the Trails games translations blogs(like people should consider them incredibly lucky to have these people of incredibly passion behind the trails games) and see the insane level of quality in the localization of those games it just isn't right that whatever happened to P5 happened. That game deserves the best of the best. I've even seen translators in twitter scratching their heads on twitter a bit. + There have been bits that have been just grammatically wrong.

Like I said I don't regard that as game ruining or fatal thing but it feels like that little splinter stuck beneath your skin. I just don't like it when stuff like that is excused away. I'm going to watch more streams and see how wide spread it is though. Like I guess if it's only 1% I can at least maybe understand that people haven't mentioned it too much but if this is something more noticeable throughout the entire game it's another upset with reviews moment for me. Don't care if that stuff isn't weighted in the score but it should be mentioned.
Nah, I do get that, but if it wasn't for that thread I would have regarded it as an excellent job done. Like I've seen all the examples so far and in the heat of the moment, nothing has bothered me. Sure, it's not on Yakiza 0's level, but not much is.

I've seen a lot of praise for the Trails games. I should give them a shot one day

Yeah, I agree. Their series is becoming quite popular with Persona 4 (Golden mostly), but they should have done an extra push with this one as JRPGs are not the most popular genres in the west (they do have an avid fanbase however).

Also, while I will probably not watch Persona 5 footage, their game is a 16+ game (in Europe anyway). I think people of 16+ can decide for themselves if they want to see footage or not.

I mean, P4G moved the needle, but don't forget it's still a niche game on a niche system. But yeah, it is the dumbest shit to not have various streamers and the like promoting your game.

MrMette

The only thing I had complaints about is that they took the accent of Drippy and put that text with all his manerisms into the subs. I can't say if it was translated well or not as I don't know Japanese. If it was just regular English for the subs, it would have been perfect for me.

But I haven't played it in English so I don't know how well that was done. I got really annoyed by just reading Drippy's subs, but yeah.
That said, I have platinumed Ni No Kuni. It's not that these subs stopped me from playing the game.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, P4G moved the needle, but don't forget it's still a niche game on a niche system. But yeah, it is the dumbest shit to not have various streamers and the like promoting your game.

Pretty upsetting to be honest. AtlusJapan pulling Nintendo levels of dinosaur executive decisions. If only they compromised a bit and just made the request of "Hey guys we bled for this game for years and we really don't want for people to be spoiled so I hope people can abide by these things for 2-4 weeks and after that we'll also lift the streaming restrictions".
That would be still kind of backwards but waaaaaaaay more palatable. Instead I'm honestly just shaking my head. Love the games but stuff like this deserves all the backlash it deserves. At least we know that they do reconsider things like the region lock from Arena to Ultimax.

Hasney

I do like that even Atlus USA thinks it's dumb. They're calling out the Japanese HQ in their post.

But if Atlus really gave a shit about spoilers, then maybe they should localise the games as they're developed for simultaneous release. The Japanese videos are easy to stumble on still.

Weird to see people feel that way. I don't think I've had a moment where I stopped and thought "Well that just doesn't sound right." I don't really get it lol.

I haven't ventured into the localization thread but yeah, I don't have any complaints so far either. VA is pretty good in English too.

--

I'm early on but man, already shaping up to be my favorite game this year by far and of the gen too.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
https://www.gamefaqs.com/ps4/835628-persona-5/faqs/74143
Yea that'd be great. Part of the comfort of the spoiler free guide is not having the lingering doubt of missing things. But it has a cost I'm not sure I want to pay. I keep going back and forth but the fact it seems more forgiving on at least the true ending is encouraging.

I already wrote this once yesterday and it somehow got lost in a posting error sry it took me so long. Hope it's helpful other people will probably add a few more useful tips. Just click the quote and it will bring you to do Persona 5 OT felt a bit too offtopic to load persona 5 tips in here.

MrMette

Just got my Persona 5. Excited. In my country, I only get English voice and text.

There should be a free DLC with the Japanese Voices on PSN (there is in Europe anyway).
While they still have plenty of room on the disc (and it should be able to be included because of this), I still think this is a fine way on giving the players options on how they want to play. More JRPGs should do this.

Kneefoil

lol

Huber would be so frustrating to play Monopoly with. He's so bad at striking deals and so stubborn about always coming out on top even when he's the one near bankruptcy.

Wonder how Brandon and Kyle will like Persona. I'm not a JRPG guy at all, and it's my first Persona. But I had a blast in my 5ish hours today.

Wonder if we'll get anything about it on tomorrow's podcast.

Wonder how Brandon and Kyle will like Persona. I'm not a JRPG guy at all, and it's my first Persona. But I had a blast in my 5ish hours today.

Wonder if we'll get anything about it on tomorrow's podcast.

I still remember when Smokydave (rest in peace brother), the biggest Vita fan around these parts didn't want to get Persona 4 Golden because he hated JRPGs. Eventually we convinced him to buy it at a sale or something and he ended up loving it.

Hasney

I wonder who's Kyle gonna romance.
Hell, knowing him he'll skip romance options.

giphy.gif

Mista Koo

Gave Monopoly a shot, still as bad as I remember it. The board customization was really fun, but couldn't last an hour with the game.

Hasney

Just finished Monopoly. I have no idea how they make it so fun, but it's always a jolly watch.

I'm glad Blood found positives for him to continue playing the game but I'm not sure I could drudge on in the sea of negatives!

Huh, this actually made me a little more interested in the game.
Might pick it up when its super cheap.

Yeah, I was mocking the game as I played it, but there's something that just pushes me through. I'm not done, Persona 5 obviously takes priority, but I do actually want to finish it.

Tunoku

I love that Huber got Kyle and Jones to agree to play P5. We need a Brandon plays Pokemon style show dedicated to this.

I don't have the time to follow EZA as closely, but I absolutely loved those Pokémon diary shows. I'd pledge for that to happen!

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
My secret hope is Ian really likes the game enough to be compelled/inspired to make some Persona themed Easy Update(think like his Bound episode) thing cause I can imagine a few hilarious things based on the core premise of the game. Although I also think he might not have the time to play it for quite some time.

I already wrote this once yesterday and it somehow got lost in a posting error sry it took me so long. Hope it's helpful other people will probably add a few more useful tips. Just click the quote and it will bring you to do Persona 5 OT felt a bit too offtopic to load persona 5 tips in here.
Thanks. I think I'll go guide free and see how it shakes out.

I think Persona is best experienced going 100% blind even if you miss some content. IMO that is the whole point of the time constraints, you are not supposed to experience everything.

Bulby

Listening to the last Frame Trap. Ben has become a really really great host over the last year. He also has a very natural charm in front of the camera and great comic timing.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I think Persona is best experienced going 100% blind even if you miss some content. IMO that is the whole point of the time constraints, you are not supposed to experience everything.

Disagree you play how you want to play also if you weren't meant to experience everything it would be impossible to do it. That they allow it means that they account for it. So not sure why one would discount other playstyles as less fun or less valid everyone just gotta find what works for them. So what is best will vary.

As for me there is no greater catharsis than the culmination of a Persona ending with all side stories completed. The Persona 4 ending for example just becomes that much more powerful to me when you have absolutely everyone there at the end. I dread reaching the end and only having like 6 people show up to me that feels unbelievably unsatisfying. And that also doesn't even go into that not seeing stories to their conclusion would be slightly annoying.
The stories are just too engaging to end the playthrough without seeing where they go.

I dread reaching the end and only having like 6 people show up to me that feels unbelievably unsatisfying.

To me that is the most satisfying thing. The ending culminates with the friends/people you chose to invest time in rather than the whole town having a meeting.

That said as you said play how you wanna play. My personal advice if you'd ask my opinion is to not use a guide but if you really want to then go ahead. One of the big reasons why I don't (and didn't for P4G) is that guide will basically take the choise away from you in a game that is VERY much about making your own choises how to spend your time.

I enjoyed my second 4G playtrough with a guide maxing everything out and seeing new stuff but I definately am very glad I didn't do it the first time. You can always youtube that stuff anyway after your playtrough if you want.

N° 2048

To me that is the most satisfying thing. The ending culminates with the friends/people you chose to invest time in rather than the whole town having a meeting.

That said as you said play how you wanna play. My personal advice if you'd ask my opinion is to not use a guide but if you really want to then go ahead. One of the big reasons why I don't (and didn't for P4G) is that guide will basically take the choise away from you in a game that is VERY much about making your own choises how to spend your time.

I enjoyed my second 4G playtrough with a guide maxing everything out and seeing new stuff but I definately am very glad I didn't do it the first time. You can always youtube that stuff anyway after your playtrough if you want.

100% agree.

Cannot imagine using a guide for P5 first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom