• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasney

Suspicious cancellation of GWG/PS+ segment this month given a certain game. Disappointing that they'd really let Kyle slide on that so easily. Won't be surprised at all if it comes back next month as if nothing happened.

LOVEEEEE the movie podcast, though wish it was on a different day. Can't wait to see how it progresses.

In this weeks podcast, he said it wasn't a well received segment and that it was officially finished at 2-2 and that Games with Gold would have won easily by default this month.

Suspicious cancellation of GWG/PS+ segment this month given a certain game. Disappointing that they'd really let Kyle slide on that so easily. Won't be surprised at all if it comes back next month as if nothing happened.

LOVEEEEE the movie podcast, though wish it was on a different day. Can't wait to see how it progresses.
It was a joke, he gave it to GWG for the month without discussion

The segment died so the slight could live

I never really liked the PS+ vs GWG comparison segment anyway so I don't care that it's gone. It's pretty convenient that it happened to be canceled on this month of all months though.

Hasney

I never really liked the PS+ vs GWG comparison segment anyway so I don't care that it's gone. It's pretty convenient that it happened to be canceled on this month of all months though.

Nah, he got his dig in. If the segment was still on, he'd have been more fair and balanced, so it's win-win.

Still, he's right. I don't even know what GwG had this month, but nothing can be worse than that aggressively unfunny and dull to play Drawn to Death. I'd rather play Lococycle.

In this weeks podcast, he said it wasn't a well received segment and that it was officially finished at 2-2 and that Games with Gold would have won easily by default this month.

Lots of comments saying people want it back though (see below for my opinion).

It was a joke, he gave it to GWG for the month without discussion

The segment died so the slight could live

Was only half listening, so I missed it lol. But at least he made it clear then that there was a reason. Better than just pretending it was a coincidence.

I never liked it as I don't use PS+ and don't have an Xbox, but yeah lol.

I'm glad the segments gone. I felt it was a bit of filler and it didn't really bring up much discussion, if any.

I'd rather that time be used for other things, e.g. an extra question.

arkon

So, Luke Arnold is apparently kind of a big deal and it's pretty cool that he's a fan of Kyle and EZA. I had no idea who he was during the last group stream, and I missed the first one he was in. It would have been cool if they mentioned who he was, since I think it's cool in and of itself that he's bringing more exposure to EZA just by being there and being a fan.

I know Bloodworth said in one of the comments for EZA Plays that it was just a mistake to not mention who he was, though. Still, I can't be the only one who was confused by what seemed like a random stranger being there. In Huber Syndrome they actually introduce the guy, so now I'm looking into Black Sails and could see myself watching it soon.

I think it just got a bit lost at the beginning. Kyle mentioned they had a special guest and then got sidetracked with discussing the audio delay with Damiani. I'm sure they did eventually mention his name but yeah wasn't the smoothest intro

Mikey Jr.

So as of April 14th, they are currently at their highest number of Patrons and they are about to beat last months highest earnings per month with half a month still left to go.

That March anniversary stream did wonders for them. They cracked that 40k ceiling.

I think if they really go all out with E3, 45k could really be the new norm for them.

I know it sounds crazy, but I honestly see them hitting 50k one day. Like, it feels actually attainable now, haha. When they put "50k for a new studio", I was "uhhh, good luck with that, lol."
But yeah, 50k doesn't seem impossible. Probably not in year 2, but year 3 could have them be 50k consistently. Thats if something major doesn't disrupt the group.

So, Luke Arnold is apparently kind of a big deal and it's pretty cool that he's a fan of Kyle and EZA. I had no idea who he was during the last group stream, and I missed the first one he was in. It would have been cool if they mentioned who he was, since I think it's cool in and of itself that he's bringing more exposure to EZA just by being there and being a fan.

I know Bloodworth said in one of the comments for EZA Plays that it was just a mistake to not mention who he was, though. Still, I can't be the only one who was confused by what seemed like a random stranger being there. In Huber Syndrome they actually introduce the guy, so now I'm looking into Black Sails and could see myself watching it soon.
One thing not seen on archives is chat was constantly keeping newcomers informed of who he was during the stream

Watched the movie podcast and liked it a lot. Both podcasts were excellent. And I see they have all time peak patron counts and sitting at $43.5K

Things are going real well. I could see them hit 50k by year 3

arkon

Watching the latest EZA podcast. Ben and Ian mangling the platypus sound was great. Liked Kyle's new tagline at the end as well as the Guardians strip.

I'd rather that time be used for other things, e.g. an extra question.

Questions should be in the Q&A and the podcast should address what's happening this week or so in gaming...Or at least have questions that address current news...but they rarely do..that's where the the filler is.

Questions should be in the Q&A and the podcast should address what's happening this week or so in gaming...Or at least have questions that address current news...but they rarely do..that's where the the filler is.

Q&A is not as frequent as the podcast so I like having more topical questions present at each podcast.

But only the design changed, not the name of the console.

I mean, Nintendo did the 2DS, so who knows...

I'm a bit late with this reply because Persona 5's taking up a lot of my weekend time but I was thinking of something along the lines of changing the top "Xbox One" banner to just "Xbox" and then they could have a box to the right or a bar below it, like they do for exclusives, with the supported systems.

re: the technical talk, it would be nice if the Allies had a little more hardware literacy (Ian probably comes the closest)

BUT I thought Bosman and co. did an alright job reaching the right conclusions. Scorpio is not a generational leap (simplest argument is that it's still on 28nm), liquid cooling, diminishing returns potentially changing what console cycles mean, specs being neat to discuss but not all that telling until the games show up, and VR not being in the presentation being a suspicious omission.

Assorted comments:
* per-machine undervolting, liquid cooling, and the fan are related, and kind of fascinating with regard to Scorpio. (the lower voltage you run at to reach the same clockspeed, the less heat you need to siphon away)
* AI won't come from quantum computing (probably), but there is (already!) custom hardware that could be added to a future console and might represent a generational jump -- since it's not like you'll retrofit a every existing PS4 Pro with a google TPU, and covering the same ground with a GPU might be untenable

16nm, same as the Pro, PS4 Slim and Xbone S. The simplest argument to me of why it isn't a generational leap is it still has an ancient old Jaguar CPU in there. There's been a lot of talk about how powerful it is but it's still limited in the exact same ways the Pro is and the way developers end up using it will probably be exactly the same (mostly higher resolutions).

But yeah, I agree that the per-machine undervolting and vapour chamber are the most important and interesting takeaways from the announcement. Well, that and the software Microsoft are implementing to support it, like their system level supersampling.

On VR, I'm not entirely sure how important the minimum CPU specs are for the Vive or Oculus because I don't own either, but the Scorpio falls well short of them, so I suspect it won't be powerful enough to support those devices. We'll probably have to wait and see though.

As for AI, I think the age old "next gen AI" dream will never be a reality. It just isn't something publishers can easily demonstrate and sell their games on. All most people want out of their AI is for it to be good enough to maintain the illusion of the game they're playing.

16nm, same as the Pro, PS4 Slim and Xbone S. The simplest argument to me of why it isn't a generational leap is it still has an ancient old Jaguar CPU in there. There's been a lot of talk about how powerful it is but it's still limited in the exact same ways the Pro is and the way developers end up using it will probably be exactly the same (mostly higher resolutions).
You're right, not sure why I thought it was still at 28nm.

(although TSMC's 16nm is sort of a 20nm-hybrid, IIRC)

On VR, I'm not entirely sure how important the minimum CPU specs are for the Vive or Oculus because I don't own either, but the Scorpio falls well short of them, so I suspect it won't be powerful enough to support those devices. We'll probably have to wait and see though.
It seemed to me that when they first announced it they were eyeing VR, but I don't know if (1) that was ever actually true, (2) if it would still be true, given how lethargic the VR market has been. Could easily see the Scorpio's specs as a hedge against VR, "well, we're doing a refresh anyway and better make it powerful enough to drive VR if we need to do that", and now they're just left with this beefy thing they aren't sure what to do with. But that's obviously pure speculation.

wrt AI, I don't know if there's enough there to make the gamble of putting in custom hardware, and it probably depends on other market conditions. (for example: if Sony were doing the OG PS3 "put hardware for everything into the system" approach for the PS5, would it have a TPU? Probably. But will they ever do that again? Probably not, it was kinda dumb) I do think there are some really interesting AI gameplay concepts just around the corner -- think DeepMind -- but I think they'll probably be done in the cloud with aggregate data rather than any sort of dynamic local hardware thing. You don't really need TPUs to use a pre-computed neural network.

Karu

I am 15 hours in and would probably lean towards 4/5 (with tendency down rather than up), but the review made a great effort to show where Ben was coming from. Good job!

Axass

Youtube comments, as usual, are awful.

It was an amazing review from Ben. Both with this and the Nier one, I feel Ben's leaning more and more towards a deeper analytical approach, where he gives more space to the themes and aim of the game. I absolutely love that.

Hasney

I am 15 hours in and would probably lean towards 4/5 (with tendency down rather than up), but the review made a great effort to show where Ben was coming from. Good job!

The second half of the game really picks up and it wasn't u til that second half where I would say it is a better game and story than 4. Based on 15 hours in, you're likely not a quarter of the way in

Mista Koo

I've just got another Patreon email for something beyond my tier :/

Also remembered the person who complained about the thumbnails ages ago:

rpYQRaC.jpg

AHNoyRC.jpg

Auctopus

Youtube comments, as usual, are awful.

It was an amazing review from Ben. Both with this and the Nier one, I feel Ben's leaning more and more towards a deeper analytical approach, where he gives more space to the themes and aim of the game. I absolutely love that.

Yeah, his review approach has started to remind me more and more of ACG. It's great.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I much prefer some of the recent string of reviews from EZA as they do play a bit going into analysis instead of being purely a buyers guide kind of thing.

I've seen the IGN p5 review that was done by Andrew Goldfarb a guy that played the game about 5 times by now platted both JP and ENG versions I think?(that is like almost 3 times as much as I played) and all of that experience with the game is absolutely wasted on the ~5 minute long review format they have where you only go through all the usual review points almost like a checklist.

I just get the impression that by all means that the guy could have said so much more and interesting stuff about the game but couldn't really given how they do their reviews just shows again that I just don't like that specific format all that much as I don't feel like I get much out of it at all.

So between reviews and deep dives on Frame Trap and possible Spoiler Modes I'm pretty happy currently with EZA coverage for single player focused games.
------------------------------------------------
Also so much appreciation for that recent Trails tweet.
I don't know what Ben has planned for the series but that Sky hooked him makes me very hopeful and happy.

I'm also almost sure that after he gets through those his drive to go through Cold Steel might receive a bump. Cause at least for me 15-20% of what made it easy to gloss over the flaws in those games was pretty much the investment bump from the Sky games. And while I do love the Cold Steel series as well, man do I have a ton of problems with it too. Despite that I'd still consider it one of the best JRPG entries in like the last 5 years.

Also had the pleasure to chat(on twitch ) trails with some people from the EZA community recently super fun and it kind of showed again that most people seem to be pretty hardcore into it.

Edit: Makes me wish EZA had some Trails chat somewhere bustling with activity :-x
Even for me that stuff is always nice cause the series has so much information packed in and hints/foreshadowing it's overwhelming you simply forget stuff.
Reading the kiseki wiki kind of helps out but it's still developing I wish I had the time to do replays of FC and SC.

Amazing review and score, my only criticism is the line "with the recent flood of games", feels like a line that won't matter in a few months or later in the year..or even to people not in the industry who have to play every game that's released.

Can't wait for the 2nd print to be released sans steel book.

I like having more topical questions present at each podcast.

I like that too, but the questions rarely are topical.

Hasney

I really hope the upcoming Fortune Street gets an English release. Not just for me since me and my girlfriend got bored of the Wii one so I'm playing a fan translated PS2 game and playing through the single player to unlock everything, but it would make for an awesome group stream.

Charamiwa

Banned
Are the comments on EZA's videos moderated? Glad to see the bottom of the barrel console war comments under the Persona 5 review are already gone. This video doesn't deserve this trash.

It's not the comment themselves that bother me, it's how much they get upvoted to appear at the top. Who are all these people feeding this trash? I guess they're EZA fans if they're so early on the video, but somehow I don't see their negativity anywhere else.

Awesome review Ben

I think he keeps getting better and better with each review. And I think this is his best one yet.

It's informative and insightful. In a quick amount of time covers the basics of the game but also that next cut beyond of the games themes, character motivations, and how effective or not that works on the player/reviewer. It establishes where they're coming from and contrxtuslizes the game and the score given.

Tsosie

Another quality review, good work Ben. One thing really stood out to me and that was Ben mentioning that some of the Japanese names are spoken incorrectly in the English dub. The only other outlet that I heard mention this was 8-4 (a localization team, not a games media outlet). I actually felt a moment of pride for Ben in pointing out something that only a professional localization team noticed.

*I have not read/watched all reviews of the game so other may have pointed it out as well, but I do not think that negates my point.

slash3584

Congrats on a great review Ben!

About Persona 5... I think i'm halfway through and I'm already sad just thinking it will end.

It's like the feeling when a long running series ends, but compresed to a few weeks.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Another quality review, good work Ben. One thing really stood out to me and that was Ben mentioning that some of the Japanese names are spoken incorrectly in the English dub. The only other outlet that I heard mention this was 8-4 (a localization team, not a games media outlet). I actually felt a moment of pride for Ben in pointing out something that only a professional localization team noticed.

*I have not read/watched all reviews of the game so other may have pointed it out as well, but I do not think that negates my point.

Not to take anything away but that part is certainly nonsense a lot of people noticed that heck even people that probably don't speak Japanese(cause you don't need to given that it's inconsistent within the game).

Same as people noticed that the translation isn't as polished as it probably deserves(lots of possible reasons for that). Not that it's bad but it's like 97% there to being truly great or something(pulling numbers out of my ass).

I think it speaks more to other reasons if we're talking about why EZA might be the only review mentioning stuff like that(and it's great that they do) but as the implication seems here that it is because of the required proficiency to notice stuff like that I don't think that's right.

Edit: There are even jokes like this floating around: https://twitter.com/prozdkp/status/851189135025070081

------------------------------------------

On P5 in general. Why it resonates so much with me is yes on one hand it does touch on very real life problems.
But more importantly especially nowadays I really like the simple and very hopeful underlying message the game carries.

Which is for the the unreasonable and unfair parts of life try to reach out to others, it might just bring about the change you need.
And the other part and maybe also harder to accept is that many of the chains that really bind us are self made results of our own psychology and it's partly on ourselves to find the strength to break them.
Persona 5 Confidant spoilers:
Given that almost all the Confidant story lines are split in this way. Joker representing the reaching out part as the person to deal with the unfairness and unreasonableness of life in the form of Mementos issues and the other part is almost always the Confidants themselves rechallenging what chained them in the first place. I really like that the issues are actually never really resolved and the note most of the stories end on being tackling the issue anew some of them rather complex with no easy Mementos solution anyway.
And yes of course at lot of that is very idealized in a way but it's still a nice message that I do very much believe rings true despite all that that.

Tankard

Great review, Ben. I can say that 80 hours in the game and i echo these feelings so much. It has so much more depth than just great visuals, colour, menu, it touches upon so many important things,

Edit: Also, the Movie podcast was very good, loved the guest and the way he communicates. I also think the tiltle and even the thumbnail should be a bit less "complicated". Other than that, great job, Ian and Huber.

Are the comments on EZA's videos moderated? Glad to see the bottom of the barrel console war comments under the Persona 5 review are already gone. This video doesn't deserve this trash.

It's not the comment themselves that bother me, it's how much they get upvoted to appear at the top. Who are all these people feeding this trash? I guess they're EZA fans if they're so early on the video, but somehow I don't see their negativity anywhere else.
I mean, it is true that (review score discussion/spoilers follow)

The only games that EZA has given 5* reviews to are Sony exclusives, and they very recently lowballed one of the all time greats that appeared on a non-Sony platform. (BOTW)

In console warrior reality, these facts alone are enough to prove bias. QED, a bunch of sony fanbois

EZA definitely shouldn't let this effect how they do review scores (and won't), but it is a bit unfortunate timing since they're a young review outlet.

I'm happy to see more perfect scores, since I don't think it makes sense for 5* to be some unachievable dream -- just, the 'best of the best'. Or, if you prefer: "Play this game."

munchie64

That review was one of the best I've seen for the game and makes it all the harder for me not to play it. But yeah, great job if you ever read this Ben.

Yeah, I don't think most people would say Persona 5 is a better game than Breath of the Wild, but inconsistencies like this are what happens when you have multiple people reviewing games under the same banner, so it's not really a big deal.

EDIT: And I should mention it's a terrific review from Ben. Good job, Ben.

Auctopus

Man, Ian just refuses to give MS a break, haha. It felt like he was exceedingly dismissive of the company's approach during that podcast segment in addition to fishing for an excuse to call Digital Foundry bias because they said they were so impressed by the Scorpio stats.

I know the Xbox campfire doesn't burn that brightly at EZA at the moment but it's always good to be supportive of companies trying new things.

Man, Ian just refuses to give MS a break, haha. It felt like he was exceedingly dismissive of the company's approach during that podcast segment in addition to fishing for an excuse to call Digital Foundry bias because they said they were so impressed by the Scorpio stats.
I didn't really get that sense at all...

Auctopus

Also, bleh at reading podcast YT comments. Just Ian hate & complaining about the guys not knowing what they're talking about (which they said they didn't lol). :p

Under the one about Ian knowing nothing about PC-Hardware, there's one that says "Glad I didn't have to post 'Ian is horrible' post this week". Like, how little do you have going on that you feel the need to tell this person each week that you don't like them?

UrbanRats

Hearing them talk about Scorpio specs is painful, damn.
Gotta skip it.

I like Ian, but i think they should just avoid talking specs in general.
It's always really just pointless and grating to hear every time, not their fault, you can't be knowledgeable about everything, but you shouldn't spend 20 minutes on a subject you have no clue about (nor any interest in).

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Just cause there's so much negativity about it I'm going to say that I enjoyed the self aware comedy around the whole Scorpio thing, I thought it was funny. Maybe people care to share what they realistically would have wished or expected from this segment in particular I'm no quite sure myself. To me it was a great compromise between this being news cover worthy and the guys also being out of their depth.

Also even as someone that does programming and had courses in computer architecture even from my point of view I have a hard time seeing what the average person would want from a console spec discussion. I mean I know what I would want is engineers of different disciplines sitting down and dreaming up possibilities or discussing what bottle necks might be elevated and getting in the nitty gritty of it. Like back when the jump from Ps3 to Ps4 happened a big thing was how much easier it is to have better and more animations in memory which can affect games a lot.

But at the same times that's not realistic for EZA. Heck in general. Such things happen mostly at specialized industry/convention meetings like GDC or journalistic pieces that probably almost nobody reads.

Hearing them talk about Scorpio specs is painful, damn.
Gotta skip it.

I like Ian, but i think they should just avoid talking specs in general.
It's always really just pointless and grating to hear every time, not their fault, you can't be knowledgeable about everything, but you shouldn't spend 20 minutes on a subject you have no clue about (nor any interest in).
See my post from last page, but I thought they did a pretty decent job of bringing up the relevant points despite the general spec-illiteracy.

Auctopus

Just cause there's so much negativity about it I'm going to say that I enjoyed the self aware comedy around the whole Scorpio thing, I thought it was funny. Maybe people care to share what they realistically would have wished or expected from this segment in particular I'm no quite sure myself. To me it was a great compromise between this being news cover worthy and the guys also being out of their depth.

Discuss the impact/tact/benefits/cons of Microsoft using DF to reveal Scorpio specs rather than the specs themselves, perhaps? I don't actually get bothered by them discussing specs because I hardly know about them myself but I do notice that the conversation loses steam when the subject comes up. I can certainly understand how people who do understand the tech aspects to be frustrated when the group give hottakes from a less-knowledgable perspective.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Discuss the impact/tact/benefits/cons of Microsoft using DF to reveal Scorpio specs rather than the specs themselves, perhaps? I don't actually get bothered by them discussing specs because I hardly know about them myself but I do notice that the conversation loses steam when the subject comes up. I can certainly understand how people who do understand the tech aspects to be frustrated when the group give hottakes from a less-knowledgable perspective.

Didn't they do that? Kyle brought up to the panel the impact of having DF make this announcement and the panel discussed it.
Did I brain fart and mix it up with another podcast?(I listen to so many it's possible).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom