• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Visceir

Always had that slight scare of the whole "L&R" could backfire on them sometimes in the future as people start holding them to higher and higher standards.

Mario007

So um, what's the point of having 1 hour and 20 minutes of Friend Code discussing the 30minute Nintendo presentation when you have another 20 minutes on the podcast discussing it.

Auctopus

Always had that slight scare of the whole "L&R" could backfire on them sometimes in the future as people start holding them to higher and higher standards.

"Bosman passed Huber the Oreos on stream last night and he DIDN'T say thank you!!!??? Patreon canceled!"

Mario007

Why not? Got Damiani and Brads voices on the subject too.
Its a waste of time. Could have easily used the podcast time to talk about other publishers which don't have press conferences but will be at E3.

Also it kinda does reinforce the Nintendo leaning image of EZA lately. Not bias, mind you, but rather Nintendo leaning interest.

Hasney

Its a waste of time. Could have easily used the podcast time to talk about other publishers which don't have press conferences but will be at E3.

Also it kinda does reinforce the Nintendo leaning image of EZA lately. Not bias, mind you, but rather Nintendo leaning interest.

I mean, they spent a disproportionate amount of time talking about Sony on the podcast, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Deimo5

It's Damiani's Nintendo podcast right before E3, and you want him to not talk about Nintendo at E3? I think I misunderstood this part.
Main podcast wise Nintendo is still one of the major players so you can't really skip them still.

Cindro

This thread sure got weird as soon as I signed on!

Huber v Bosman side bitch beef, speculation that GB and EZA are incompatible, and confusion over why Friend Code would discuss Nintendo's E3 plans on their final pre-E3 episode.

Maybe once you become a patron you enter a new, ever-so-slightly different timeline, where things feel off but you can't explain why.

Or maybe it's just E3 season

Xenoboy

So um, what's the point of having 1 hour and 20 minutes of Friend Code discussing the 30minute Nintendo presentation when you have another 20 minutes on the podcast discussing it.

Nintendo leaning, yet like the majority of the hype group stream were Sony titles. Don't start this.

CoolOff

Everybody's on edge man. I guess you could say we are all some kind of lord of edges.

ianbrow.gif

RSchmitz

I think platform exclusive shows are dumb. It either makes things redundant or a hassle to get information and you get complaints from people who feel nintendo gets talked less on the regular podcast, complaints from people asking for other platform podcasts.
It just creates a problem where there wasn´t one.
I´m not a fan at all.

munchie64

I think platform exclusive shows are dumb. It either makes things redundant or a hassle to get information and you get complaints from people who feel nintendo gets talked less on the regular podcast, complaints from people asking for other platform podcasts.
It just creates a problem where there wasn´t one.
I´m not a fan at all.
Well if any of the other allies had the drive to do another platform podcast, they'd do it.

Friend Code, as it stands is a great podcast that has a lot of good discussion on it. As far as I'm concerned, that's all something would really need to justify existing.

Gotta remember that not everyone watches Friend Code. The main podcast is the main podcast and needs to pretty much be all-inclusive for general viewership.

ShadyK54

This thread sure got weird as soon as I signed on!

Huber v Bosman side bitch beef, speculation that GB and EZA are incompatible, and confusion over why Friend Code would discuss Nintendo's E3 plans on their final pre-E3 episode.

Maybe once you become a patron you enter a new, ever-so-slightly different timeline, where things feel off but you can't explain why.

Don't forget to toss in the weekly Patreon numbers & what they should do with it discussion. :p /s

Budi

Yeah, I really don't like it. I also disliked the weird attitude Ian had towards Kyle in Mandatory Update. It seemed weirdly hostile at times. I'm sure it's because I don't actually know Kyle, but calling him a sociopath or whatever always seemed weird to me, even if it said in a jokingly manner. Kinda goes against the whole Love and Respect thing they have.

That kind of humour isn't ofcourse for everyone. But they were and are coworkers and friends. If it was bullying or something like that, Kyle would have informed Ian/Elyse that he's not fine with it. Or take the issue to Brandon that his coworkers are hostile towards him and it's affecting his own work. It can seem mean spirited to outside if you don't consider all of this, and again it's understandable if someone doesn't find it funny. That kind of ribbing is very common atleast in my friend circles, it's nothing malicious.

And friends also can even have serious heated arguments, that doesn't really mean anything big either. They are still friends after that, even if they don't find common ground on the issue. I sometimes see people getting worried when some allies don't see eye to eye on something, "what does this mean, are they breaking up now? Don't they like each other?" No, nothing to be worried about. EZA let's us see behind the curtain all the time, so to speak. They act naturally and aren't trying to hide their true selves. Their behaviour and chemistry doesn't change just because the cameras are rolling, ofcourse creating comedy/entertainment can be an exception. But most often it's the viewer who sees drama when there actually is none. Just like this GB vs EZA, Kinda Funny vs EZA. It's a narrative created in heads of some of the fans.

ShadyK54

That kind of humour isn't ofcourse for everyone. But they were and are coworkers and friends. If it was bullying or something like that, Kyle would have informed Ian/Elyse that he's not fine with it. Or take the issue to Brandon that his coworkers are hostile towards him and it's affecting his own work. It can seem mean spirited to outside if you don't consider all of this, and again it's understandable if someone doesn't find it funny. That kind of ribbing is very common atleast in my friend circles, it's nothing malicious.

And friends also can even have serious heated arguments, that doesn't really mean anything big either. They are still friends after that, even if they don't find common ground on the issue. I sometimes see people getting worried when some allies don't see eye to eye on something, "what does this mean, are they breaking up now? Don't they like each other?" No, nothing to be worried about. EZA let's us see behind the curtain all the time, so to speak. They act naturally and aren't trying to hide their true selves. Their behaviour and chemistry doesn't change just because the cameras are rolling. Most often it's the viewer who sees drama when there actually is none.

Yup yup yup. Also, I think if I remember correctly, I'm pretty sure Ian has at least once or twice (during EZA) said that it's always in jest & that he doesn't really hate Kyle.

Budi

Yup yup yup. Also, I think if I remember correctly, I'm pretty sure Ian has at least once or twice (during EZA) said that it's always in jest & that he doesn't really hate Kyle.

Yeah he is very aware that some people think that, I think it has been brought up multiple times. Even while on GT.

I remember the Kyle vs Damiani on that Fire Emblem mobile game argument. How people said that it affected Damiani so much he was sulking the entire next podcast. =) Like disagreeing about games would break friendships or something.

jond76

Banned

Especially considering that there isn't an Xbox preview section in the latest podcast, only Sony and Nintendo. I was looking forward to what the panel had to think. Bummer.

Cindro

I *love* Friend Code, and I don't think it detracts from the main EZA podcast at all. In fact, it's a wonderful compliment to it, especially with Nintendo being hot again in the mainstream. Though I hope Kyle's chair isn't now going to be a rotating one - Brad is an awesome dude, but Kyle's absence on the most recent FC was felt. Bosman has a unique enthusiasm for Nintendo games that really boosts the show's dynamic.

As for EZA having a Nintendo bias... you know that saying, "The arc of the universe is long, but it bends towards justice"?

It's a similar story here. The arc of refined gaming tastes is long, but it bends towards Nintendo :p The big N has been making some of the best games in the industry for over 30 years, so it shouldn't be surprising that they've cultivated a following of superfans over the decades.

Not to say Microsoft and Sony don't have some sterling games too, but it's not an automatic bias to have a special place in your heart for Nintendo. Their track record over the years has earned the hearts and minds of gamers, despite the company's frequent missteps.

ShadyK54

Yeah he is very aware that some people think that, I think it has been brought up multiple times. Even while on GT.

I remember the Kyle vs Damiani on that Fire Emblem mobile game argument. How people said that it affected Damiani so much he was sulking the entire next podcast. =) Like disagreeing about games would break friendships or something.

Lol, that feels like a long time ago. That was a pretty funny, yet heated topic lol.

Hasney

One time, my friend told me the Master System wasn't worth shit because he had an NES. We stopped talking.

I was like, 8

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I *love* Friend Code, and I don't think it detracts from the main EZA podcast at all. In fact, it's a wonderful compliment to it, especially with Nintendo being hot again in the mainstream. Though I hope Kyle's chair isn't now going to be a rotating one - Brad is an awesome dude, but Kyle's absence on the most recent FC was felt. Bosman has a unique enthusiasm for Nintendo games that really boosts the show's dynamic.

As for EZA having a Nintendo bias... you know that saying, "The arc of the universe is long, but it bends towards justice"?

It's a similar story here. The arc of refined gaming tastes is long, but it bends towards Nintendo :p The big N has been making some of the best games in the industry for over 30 years, so it shouldn't be surprising that they've cultivated a following of superfans over the decades.

Not to say Microsoft and Sony don't have some sterling games too, but it's not an automatic bias to have a special place in your heart for Nintendo. Their track record over the years has earned the hearts and minds of gamers, despite the company's frequent missteps.

I feel the same honestly. I often get that people are really just to eager to jump the bias train. It wasn't too long ago(~a bit more than half a year) when actually people talked around here about that EZA is way too Sony "favored".
Not to discredit those feelings but I definitely didn't align. What I felt was always the case was allies drifting towards certain games and that's all. So to me it was always more a matter of their own taste than actual platform bias. And I think there are valid arguments made from the point of wanting to go out of their safe taste zones more for coverage purposes. Just that doesn't seem to be the first thing people jump to and instead it's console bias. @_@

As for why the nintendo podcast exist and the whole doesn't mesh with giantbomb thing I feel like having deja vu. I don't think I have much new to add to what I didn't already say before but I think it's very amusing that people peg Blood as too professional to fit into more silly environments.

Makes me think that Blood's aura of integrity seems to overpower stuff like making whirlwind blasting gestures or changing the Hall of Great game with real life enactments of Hadoukens, etc.

It's like people can be multifaceted... :-x
---------------
On being scared that L&R can backfire that one I can get and relate to quite a bit just from seeing how other Patreons I'm a part of having their slogans become touchy issues.
But dunno if it's the nature of the L&R slogan which is be decent to each other or if it's the handling of the Allies so far or both all I will say the atmosphere so far has been remarkably better than in other places so far(although I also wouldn't say it's all perfect paradise).
Not that this might not change as EZA grows even more and they might need to be more involved in trying to retain the spirit of L&R but so far. For things to not possibly devolve quickly. Stuff like Jones talking about L&R feel very valuable to remind people what the community strives to be.

Joqu

I got it late, I was amazed by Sonic on my aunties Mega Drive and asked for it for my birthday, and got the Master System 2

But hey, it had Alex Kidd built in!

Ah, I'm sorry to hear that. I can't pretend the revision looks as appealing. :p

But Alex Kidd is pretty great to be fair.

El-Suave

Well if any of the other allies had the drive to do another platform podcast, they'd do it.

Friend Code, as it stands is a great podcast that has a lot of good discussion on it. As far as I'm concerned, that's all something would really need to justify existing.

Agreed with everything you said, FC is indeed surprisingly great and Damiani is doing a great job with it. However I can imagine when historical topics run out and the Switch has lost its new car smell, they consider doing stuff like this for other platforms, too. Sega, maybe Atari, Playstation and Xbox and others are systems the Allies have memories about as well and talking about those could be enjoyable, too. Doesn't need to be under a new banner but I trust Damiani to notice should Nintendo topics interesting for the general audience become harder to come by and make such a (non permanent) change.

Mario007

Gotta remember that not everyone watches Friend Code. The main podcast is the main podcast and needs to pretty much be all-inclusive for general viewership.
While that is true, it kinda shows the difficulty of having na platform specific podcast as complimentary to your main podcast. Because you basically in this case double the discussion of a single topic.

Nintendo leaning, yet like the majority of the hype group stream were Sony titles. Don't start this.
I haven't seen any hype stream because i don't watch their streams so can't comment. The content they put out is disproportionately nintendo leaning though.
I mean, they spent a disproportionate amount of time talking about Sony on the podcast, but ¯_(ツ)_/¯
They did spend an hour on Sony's stuff but that can easily be justified by the fact that the big announcements from third party usually happen there. Still, running the numbers EZA spent 1 hour talking about a 2 hour Sony conference whereas they spent 1 hour 45 minutes talking about a 30 minute Nintendo conference.
It's Damiani's Nintendo podcast right before E3, and you want him to not talk about Nintendo at E3? I think I misunderstood this part.
Main podcast wise Nintendo is still one of the major players so you can't really skip them still.
I was saying they should have directed the discussion to Friend Code, they had much more room and it would get rid of this overlap. This is like Frame Traps Hottake being "what will Sony do during its preas conference to blow our socks off this year". Unnecessary overlap.

crash-14

I missed a few thing on the podcast related Sony.

- Since Layden teased important japanese presence, what franchise have the best odds to be there? Special focus on that Capcom AAA title scheduled for this fiscal year
- Will the Scorpio price tag affect actual PS4 prices?
- What will be the length of this year Sony showcase? They used to do more than 1:30 hour, even the year they just got The Last of Us, Beyond two Souls and don't remember what else but last year new format made it an hour long. Should they stick to it, or can it go to 1:30?

Still great podcast as always. I was a little upset with nintendo's spotlight length, but the reasoning relating treehouse makes sense.
They could have also done they personal press conference hype ranking. Mine it's:

Sony > Nintendo > EA > MS > Ubisoft > Bethesda

Pretty pumped for E3.

crash-14

I was saying they should have directed the discussion to Friend Code, they had much more room and it would get rid of this overlap. This is like Frame Traps Hottake being "what will Sony do during its preas conference to blow our socks off this year". Unnecessary overlap.

Not everybody listens to all the podcasts they have, so not everybody "suffers" overlap.

Charamiwa

Banned
I don't get how you can watch the latest podcast and think they have a Nintendo leaning. They barely had anything to say about their Spotlight besides Kyle, Huber had to be reminded that Xenoblade 2 would be here, they didn't know about the 3 tournaments... Meanwhile they were on top of everything for Sony (except for Detroit, weirdly) and spent an hour talking about it. And that's perfectly normal, Sony is the major player at E3. But leaning towards Nintendo is pushing it.

LycanXIII

They spent 3 weeks going down all the conferences. They weren't going to skip over Nintendo just because they have a Nintendo podcast.

I missed a few thing on the podcast related Sony.

- Since Layden teased important japanese presence, what franchise have the best odds to be there? Special focus on that Capcom AAA title scheduled for this fiscal year
- Will the Scorpio price tag affect actual PS4 prices?
- What will be the length of this year Sony showcase? They used to do more than 1:30 hour, even the year they just got The Last of Us, Beyond two Souls and don't remember what else but last year new format made it an hour long. Should they stick to it, or can it go to 1:30?

Still great podcast as always. I was a little upset with nintendo's spotlight length, but the reasoning relating treehouse makes sense.
They could have also done they personal press conference hype ranking. Mine it's:

Pretty pumped for E3.

Japanese might be Capcom, might be something like DQXI for the west. It's up in the air, no concrete hints or rumors so far.

Scorpio is expected to be $399, so it'll bump down Pro prices at least $50.

Twitch schedule says the length is 1 hour, 30 minutes but they were initially wrong about the MS conference timing. So, not really sure where we stand with Sony.

Bahorel

Pretty pumped for E3.

Mine:

Sony>Ubisoft=Nintendo>Bethesda>EA=MS

(I don't own an Xbox)

I consider Ubisoft and Nintendo on the same level since I'm hyped for the new Ubisoft games and have cautiously optimistic hopes for Nintendo

Hasney

I'm actually most excited for MS. My PC is more powerful than Scorpio and if they announce something good enough, I'll reformat my GODDAMN PC AGAIN to make it work, but they have so much to prove. No Gears, no Halo, yes Forza... Hut they just be holding something back to launch Scorpio, right? MS are treating this as round 2 compared to the way Sony kind of casually positioned the Pro as "sure, if you want it, but whatever. We're #1".

If the Bethesda runors are true, I think they'll come out on top, but I'm convinced MS just have something up their sleeve.

Karu

Hmm...

1. Nintendo - Get to experience a Nintendo Direct with personal stakes, so that's exciting.
2. Ubisoft - For my most anticipated game of E3 - Assassin's Creed.
3. Sony - Will have the best press conference, no doubt. Since I know it will be great, my hype and anticipation is relatively low.
4. Microsoft - No stakes for me, but Xbox in general. Hope Game Pass is great and things like EA Access will show up as to make Sony's stance on the matter look foolish.
5. Bethesda - Meh.
6. EA - lol. I want Andromeda DLC, but I guess that is out of the question now.

Axass

Three things I want to chime in on:

1 - Ian and Kyle seem to be good friends, everything they say to each other is in jest, there's also one Fiasconauts episode when their characters have a "public enemies, private friends" relationship and Ian (or was it Jones?) comments "like in reality". Don't read too much into their jokes.

2 - Time spent discussing E3 conferences of the big three:

59:33 on Sony.
45:02 on Microsoft.
20:33 on Nintendo.

They're clearly not biased towards Nintendo and I don't think they've ever even given this impression in all of EZA's history. I think they're a pretty balanced group in terms of what they discuss, always taking into consideration the whole spectrum of console gaming (PC_I_am_cry.gif).

3 - Friend Code has been a good podcast so far, I like it but I agree that sometimes it's redundant. The simple way to solve that would be to keep the general podcast for Nintendo news, as it has always been, and use the Nintendo podcast to get more in depth about the history of Nintendo or general themes related to Nintendo (like the three "Nintendo memories" episodes). That would also make it evergreen.

mishakoz

Looked up the God of War demo after that L&R game, it's almost 10 minutes so the gamemaker I guess didn't do all his/her research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom