• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you not see the ending bonus but? That whole bonus bit plays into it.

Kyle is starting to build up a continuity to these segments like he did with final Bosman. And final Bosman got pretty dark too

Yeah, he's been building to this ending the whole time. It's not an editorial segment, it's a sketch where he plays a character.

Its the Kinda Funny situation again this time guest starring David Jaffe.

Yeah, I'm sure he only saw the segment because a bunch of people were tweeting at him about how Kyle was throwing shade at the game so when he sees it it's out of context and with a negative predisposition.

Deimo5

Just going to bring this up out of nowhere...Have there been any indications of Ben's Japan trip video series episode 2 coming?

Kasper

Great first episode. Bizarre show title. I had forgotten they were even going to do this so I was pleasantly surprised waking up to a notification of the first episode being released.

5 hours into pokemon Sun and I'm liking it. Like Brandon the first pokemon I played to completion is pokemon yellow earlier this year and I'm in his age group. So it's interesting to see the QOL changes to the game. I have a feeling Kyle isn't going to be a fan of the pokedex. I'd reaaaly like to turn those eyes off

5 hours into pokemon Sun and I'm liking it. Like Brandon the first pokemon I played to completion is pokemon yellow earlier this year and I'm in his age group. So it's interesting to see the QOL changes to the game. I have a feeling Kyle isn't going to be a fan of the pokedex. I'd reaaaly like to turn those eyes off
Yea, it's my first since Silver. Some quick thoughts:

I'm about 4 hours in and it's finally starting to open up. The constant tutorials and cutscenes are really obnoxious, just let me collect Pokemon

And yeah the Pokedex is pretty annoying. The dumb comments it makes usually get cut off by loading anyways

I felt like I was playing Pokepark or something until I got to an area with multiple patches of tall grass and familiar faces starting popping up, so I spent like an hour farming and grinding to catch the ones I liked. Feels right

When I first started I was trying to catch anything I didn't have but I think I'm just going to go for ones I like/could use in my party. At least until I finish the game. I'm hoping I don't finish the game before PSX because I was kind of counting on Moon to keep me entertained on the flights lol. If I end up doing everything beforehand then I'll just buy Blue or something

I like that XP is shared more evenly,I was really worried that everything was just going to my starter (why would I use anyone besides Rowlett) but I've been able to keep them all around 10, with Rowlett at 16

I don't think I ever renamed Pokemon in the original games but I've been trying to since watching Brandon Plays Pokemon and honestly it adds another layer of fun to it

Kneefoil

You can't do that? Oof... The eyes already started bothering me in the demo, and the demo is pretty short. I thought they that they would at least give you the option to change the bottom screen to online communications or something, and that'd get rid of the 'Dex.

Oh well, I had already decided that I'd wait for Stars anyway, so that shouldn't affect me, if the rumours are true.

Mista Koo

SUN AND MOON SERIES YES. I thought they were just doing an episode or two max!
Can't wait for Kyle's reaction towards
the two kids playing Pokemon on their 3DS, also Game Freaks even-more-fourth-wall-breaking office.
[Background NPCs/buildings, 2nd island]

I don't think I ever renamed Pokemon in the original games but I've been trying to since watching Brandon Plays Pokemon and honestly it adds another layer of fun to it
I tried naming them for one game, then I realized I had no idea what any Pokemon (species) was actually called!

You can't do that? Oof... The eyes already started bothering me in the demo, and the demo is pretty short. I thought they that they would at least give you the option to change the bottom screen to online communications or something, and that'd get rid of the 'Dex.
I'm 11 hours in and I don't think I noticed the eyes past the first hour.

Ultimadrago

That latest podcast was okay. I think I'm liking Frame Trap more consistently these days. Nice shoutout to Black Mirror from Ian though. I watched the Christmas episode with Jon Hamm a while back and loved it. I should go back and watch the whole series!

Mista Koo

Giving his feed a read and watching Kyle's video again. I'm kinda in agreement. That was just mean-spirited.

Kyle is part of the games media. And they've been shitting on that game from day one.

Calling him a dick for it is reasonable.
Kyle is a comedian, and while it's morally gray at best that's what comedians do. Conan has a entire segment on his show for this, the same segment that is sometimes sponsored by the game's publishers (although to be fair they seem to have different tones when they are). Also Kyle points fingers at products not people.

This leads to another point I wanted to talk about for a while. There is this myth that Easy Allies are about positivity and jolliness, and that's just not true even if they market themselves that way, or even complain about negative gaming media. Kyle and Ian are fairly negative and down on games, and that's one of the reasons they are my two favorite allies. It makes them relatable to me.
Now where did their positive and jolly marketing come from, possibly even the phrase they got their name from? Huber. Huber is a real life manic pixie dream girl boy and he brings those jolly vibes to people around him. But that's just Huber, and that's his trademark and why we like him. While the world would be better with more Hubers, the rest of the allies and the community aren't him.

[Disclaimer: This is no way a diss. I don't treat positivity as a good thing necessarily. To the audience at least, negativity is often unhealthy on a personal level.]

I would be too if I put years into a game. The Tomorrow Children part was messed up.
The game that is making a statement on f2p games by being a f2p communism simulator?? If we go by conventional game metrics it's a terrible game for doing the thing it does. If we go by art metrics an art piece would rather be hated than not elicit an emotion.

Correct, Keighley's show is finished for now and they haven't said if there'll be another season next year. Geoff said there might be new "Dear Bosmans" episodes on his(?) Gameslice channel in the future. We don't know any details and if there'll be a regular schedule. So let's be prepared to wait a few weeks or months. Anyway, it's good that Keighley seems to like to work with Kyle and that the show has helped to raise his public profile even if the live views weren't great. Let's hope this leads to more opportunities in the future.
I predicted before that Kyle might have increasingly bigger roles as the show goes on, and the last Dear Bosman was almost a shadow pilot for a new show of his. So I wouldn't be surprised if the show comes back as a entirely different show.

Auctopus

I need to do some serious catch up on Tabletop Escapades, the last episode I watched was when Huber's Dragon character (Bomper?) fell off the ship and floated away. Which episode was that?

Karu

Watch_Dogs 2 review is up! Blood's comment on WD1's driving leaves me a bit baffled. I thought it was abysmal. Sure, you get used to it somehow, but man... it almost soured me on a game I thoroughly enjoyed in the end.

Great review otherwise, but I will wait for a sale. The tone-shift of the game is super disappointing to me.

Hasney

The tone shift is the only reason I now own the game. Needed to be done to wash the taste of the godawful original out of my mouth and the worst cast of characters to grace any medium.

Karu

The tone shift is the only reason I now own the game. Needed to be done to wash the taste of the godawful original out of my mouth and the worst cast of characters to grace any medium.
You mean best. Yes, you do. Don't fight it. It's the truth. :D

Mista Koo

Yay Jigglypuff making an appearance on the Podcast, should offset all these stupid Charizards.

https://youtu.be/7Yu-3LtL-M4

This is a great Easy Update. I like watching how artistic creation is put together. Plus Ian and Ashly are fun together.
Yes. This is the first Easy Update song that I liked ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It also interesting how they just happened to have matching hairstyles and socks for this lol.

I miss the original intro for the show. It was perfect and polished ignoring the font.

jett

D-Member
Every time Bosman reaches level 20 in Tetris he just mentally checks out. He totally had another tetris there at the end.

cm osi

Every time Bosman reaches level 20 in Tetris he just mentally checks out. He totally had another tetris there at the end.

he should at least try to do some runs with other gamepads, because once he reach lv 20 he's done. dunno if that pad isn't up to the mashing required for that speed

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Wonder what Kyle will stream once he beats Wozniak. (I know, I believe.)

The podcast was kind of a slog this week. It happens, it's fine, but it really had no business being one hour and forty-six minutes long. And I'm not saying this, because I always complain about the length, but the pacing this week felt way off, for some reason.

Hasney

I thought the podcast was a blast and brilliantly timed as I had 4 hours of trains that day. If they can check my schedule before deciding on podcasts lengths, that would be delightful.

I thought the podcast was a blast and brilliantly timed as I had 4 hours of trains that day. If they can check my schedule before deciding on podcasts lengths, that would be delightful.

It wasn't primarily the length for me, but the discussions felt needlessly stretched out. Or maybe I just didn't think the topics were really interesting. Like I said, it happens.

The podcast was kind of a slog this week. It happens, it's fine, but it really had no business being one hour and forty-six minutes long. And I'm not saying this, because I always complain about the length, but the pacing this week felt way off, for some reason.
Might have been something to do with Ian's 500 pointless tangents.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Finally playing cold steel II(EU got shafted) and it just reminds me how how great of a JRPG the trails series is and what an underdog it is. Like it's so good but I feel like it gets overlooked so easily it's the Yakuza of JRPGs.

Admittingly the games have slow starts which can be a tough entry wall but man once you go past that.... I often compare them to being the big fantasy book epic(ala wheel of time) RPG equivalent.
Slow, overwhelmingly big, but once you work through that you're rewarded with so much great world building and so many interesting mysteries a good world has to offer.

Basically hoping I can get Ben sucked into in 2017 and by proxy some of the other allies :-x. Just have to wait for good gaming drought x_X(not going to happen for a long time xD).
But srsly super convinced many of them would enjoy the series especially "the Sky saga".
A shame that it's very likely a bad streaming game.

Also all the JRPG loving allies that have not tried this game. Give it a fair shot Trails in the Sky first chapter goes fairly regularly on sale on psn and steam. Chances are the series will surprise you but you gotta have to be in the mood for a more story focused RPG experience, gameplay is solid and enjoyable but also not the best thing ever.

cm osi

Finally playing cold steel II(EU got shafted) and it just reminds me how how great of a JRPG the trails series is and what an underdog it is. Like it's so good but I feel like it gets overlooked so easily it's the Yakuza of JRPGs.

Admittingly the games have slow starts which can be a tough entry wall but man once you go past that.... I often compare them to being the big fantasy book epic(ala wheel of time) RPG equivalent.
Slow, overwhelmingly big, but once you work through that you're rewarded with so much great world building and so many interesting mysteries a good world has to offer.

Basically hoping I can get Ben sucked into in 2017 and by proxy some of the other allies :-x. Just have to wait for good gaming drought x_X(not going to happen for a long time xD).
But srsly super convinced many of them would enjoy the series especially "the Sky saga".
A shame that it's very likely a bad streaming game.

Also all the JRPG loving allies that have not tried this game. Give it a fair shot Trails in the Sky first chapter goes fairly regularly on sale on psn and steam. Chances are the series will surprise you but you gotta have to be in the mood for a more story focused RPG experience, gameplay is solid and enjoyable but also not the best thing ever.

currently playing I, we had a thread a couple of weeks ago and it looks like they sold well. i think ben has at least played 1 since i recall him talking about cold steel on frametraps. maybe i'm wrong tho

sadly it's very hard to stream jrpgs, they take too much time. huber xenogears stream is pretty much dead

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
currently playing I, we had a thread a couple of weeks ago and it looks like they sold well. i think ben has at least played 1 since i recall him talking about cold steel on frametraps. maybe i'm wrong tho

sadly it's very hard to stream jrpgs, they take too much time. huber xenogears stream is pretty much dead

I think he said he started but didn't finish but I think it was Cold Steel I?
My stance is while yes you can start with any Saga, starting with Sky feels the best.
For one you get so many strong characters that aren't tied down by weird persona light systems but actually naturally develop alongside the story and I feel like you learn the true weight of certain things in the trails world.

Just 1 example is the bracer guild and the rank dropping. There is so much more weight to that after you finished the sky saga. Which also brings me to that the sky saga really takes it's time introducing you to its world(it's subtle but it is noticeable that the sky saga was built to be the first entry for players to this world) whereas Cold Steel often times assumes you know certain things or at least is comfortable you dismissing certain stuff as just "fantasy words" and take them as they come.

Also basically for a series where Investment helps carrying you through the slow patches I also think you want to start with the strongest entry available which in my humble opinion is definitely the sky saga :-x.

Also yes it's not just that JRPGs take so much time I also think they're often not very fun to watch nor give cool moments for viewers to engage in compared to something like a Ninja Gaiden. This also makes it a bit harder on the streamer if he cares about delivering a good experience.
I think the only way JRPGs stream kind of work out is having a duo with a good dynamic that talks with each other (basically also why I think the Persona 4 Endurance run works so well). Of course if you're a badass reader, solo streaming and just reading out loud all the story bits could work out too but then you're also probably ruining your voice x_X.

The xenogears stream needs to come back. Unfortunately (not really, they're fun streams) Huber is streaming Dragon Quest 8 for the next 100 years and that probably cuts into his time a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom