• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huber is peaking that microphone at PSX.

Whoah, I don't think anybody was saying that, Ben! I was just explaining the sort of seedy stuff on the cover, I never meant to say that you were okay with that sort of thing. Sorry if it came across like that.

Maybe I misinterpreted a few reactions, but it just seemed like several posters were making assumptions that I wasn't comfortable with.

I'm sorry if the previous post was a little much, but I wanted to be 100 percent clear for obvious reasons.

Of course, I don't think (hope) anyone was interpreting your reaction as anything else.

Sorry, it feels like you've only been posting recently to defend yourself.

Yeah. Not intentional. It's just a weird feeling when you see things and the reaction is "Wait. I don't feel that way at all. What are they talking about?"

It's one of the frustrating things about being so open about liking Japanese games, anime, and manga. I think sometimes people assume that because I like that stuff, I must be a certain way. I'm not saying that's what happened here, but it keeps coming up in strange ways with particular comments.

Obligatory reminder 9 days until DQXI news drop at JumpFesta 2017.

Rings so true. It's sometimes hard to have a conversation when that's a common stigma(and I'm not saying that stigma isn't entirely unearned).
But totally get that frustration when the appeal of Japanese media is their wonderful weirdness and creativity.

In no other country a story about a pirate with gum powers can overtake the whole nation, heck shit like that would generally be just rejected over here from the first pitch. And that's a single example and hilariously not even the weirdest one.

What's even more frustrating is when it comes from other "fans". When I talk about an anime I enjoy and someone immediately assumes so much about my taste or that because I like one show I don't or can't enjoy something else. It actually happens when I talk about music, too. This tone of superiority or irrational judgement is extremely alienating. Anime/manga used to be one of my favorite things to talk about during solo streams and now I don't want to do it at all or at least a lot less.

For a long time, Brad and I have kicked around ideas for an anime show, and I really want to see it happen, but in the back of my head there are things I'm dreading about it.

Auctopus

Maybe I misinterpreted a few reactions, but it just seemed like several posters were making assumptions that I wasn't comfortable with.

I'm sorry if the previous post was a little much, but I wanted to be 100 percent clear for obvious reasons.

Of course, I don't think (hope) anyone was interpreting your reaction as anything else.

Sorry, it feels like you've only been posting recently to defend yourself.

Off-topic, but have any of the Allies checked out the Star Wars: Battlefront PSVR thing. It's amazing. I'd love to see someone try it on a stream.

The Easy Allies coverage of PSX has been monumental. A big thank you to the crew for many entertaining videos over the past few days. Huber Syndrome is the cherry on top.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Obligatory reminder 9 days until DQXI news drop at JumpFesta 2017.
It's one of the frustrating things about being so open about liking Japanese games, anime, and manga. I think sometimes people assume that because I like that stuff, I must be a certain way. I'm not saying that's what happened here, but it keeps coming up in strange ways with particular comments.
Rings so true. It's sometimes hard to have a conversation when that's a common stigma(and I'm not saying that stigma isn't entirely unearned).
But totally get that frustration when the appeal of Japanese media is their wonderful weirdness and creativity.

In no other country a story about a pirate with gum powers can overtake the whole nation, heck shit like that would generally be just rejected over here from the first pitch. And that's a single example and hilariously not even the weirdest one.

Off-topic, but have any of the Allies checked out the Star Wars: Battlefront PSVR thing. It's amazing. I'd love to see someone try it on a stream.

Kyle is the only Ally that currently has PSVR, so I can ask him about it. I know Huber and myself are looking to get a headset during the Christmas break. Would be cool to have maybe like a Just Played thing with the three of us sometime in January.

I think it's fair to say that the majority of us are on the VR hype train in a very good way.

Bummed I missed Huber filming the Syndrome on the floor. He actually blasted in while I was hanging with a few of the other Allies while they filmed a bit for Easy Update but I didn't want to barge in like "YO FILM ME TOO!" lol. Was a pleasure seeing Don in action

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Always tone down expectations when it comes to SE showcasing mainline DQ.

Or anything, really.

They've actually been really forthcoming with information for the last few prior events(including to flatout telling people whether DQXI is going to be there or to what capacity). If people got hyped for those it's on them really. It's certain that this one will have some meat to it. As in I think a proper first trailer is very likely .

Also it's not a website countdown ;).

That said feel free to rob me of all my werehogs if I'm wrong :-x

I must ask if you have played Aces Wild now =P
I have not

*looks up Boss Rush gameplay*

I think I've seen someone stream this before (probably Giant Bomb) though I can't say I'm too into the airdashing and stuff. I really dig Odin Sphere Leifthasir which has a lot of that 2D DMC like styling on fools, but Aces Wild looks a little too "constantly bouncing around in the air" for me

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
What's even more frustrating is when it comes from other "fans". When I talk about an anime I enjoy and someone immediately assumes so much about my taste or that because I like one show I don't or can't enjoy something else. It actually happens when I talk about music, too. This tone of superiority or irrational judgement is extremely alienating. Anime/manga used to be one of my favorite things to talk about during solo streams and now I don't want to do it at all or at least a lot less.

For a long time, Brad and I have kicked around ideas for an anime show, and I really want to see it happen, but in the back of my head there are things I'm dreading about it.

Feelsbadman :/.
I'll cheer for you guys finding a way to make it happen someday without the experience itself being ruined for you both but yeah I see how that is an extremely challenging proposition.

All I can say really I would love that to happen as well there are not many places where I go for anime related stuff. I'm actually on another forum for that stuff that I've been a part of for like almost a decade x_X(I'm old).

Also even if it's not something you're aiming for don't underestimate the impact that a show like can have when it comes to encouraging people in being self assured about the things they like, especially younger people. So maybe that's something to take a bit solace in as a counterbalance to some of the shit that might come along with a show like that.
It's kind of crazy when I think about it cause I grew up during an anime boom where it was actually the coolest thing, people were a lot more open about it. And only a few years after that it kind of got that crazy weird stigma when I wasn't looking.

Any more Vive streams planned down the line? There seems to be a ton of great new stuff since the last one.

I don't think there's anything planned, but it's a really good idea. I'll message Brandon/Bosman right now.

Hey Ben, have you checked The Silver Case at all

I have not, but a couple of people have mentioned that I would really love it. Let It Die has got me in a Grasshopper/Suda mood. Looks like the game is on Steam for a reasonable price. How long is it? If it's relatively short, I might try to sneak this in with my Trails of Cold Steel playthrough during the break.

At the end of the day, it's you guys getting whatever bullshit thrown at you and not us, so I can't blame you for not wanting to bother

That said, I personally really enjoy random music/movie/etc discussions and recommendations from you guys. We see flashes of it in streams and podcasts but very rarely is there like a long form discussion about stuff outside of games.

Unfortunately with niche stuff especially, like anime or certain pockets of music you have a bunch of people who are really passionate (both positively and negatively). I'm certainly guilty when it comes to music stuff but I try to not just openly be shitty to people who actually like stuff I don't. We have the Metal community thread on GAF which is a bit hard at times, solely because that casts such a wide net of what people would and wouldn't consider "metal". To me it's "yo guys who likes SLAMMING BRUTAL DEATH" and others just want to talk about Deftones or Nightwish or whatever. You'll find certain people who end up liking the same stuff and hopefully the people who think it's shit are nice about it

I have not, but a couple of people have mentioned that I would really love it. Let It Die has got me in a Grasshopper/Suda mood. Looks like the game is on Steam for a reasonable price. How long is it? If it's relatively short, I might try to sneak this in with my Trails of Cold Steel playthrough during the break.

I would love to hear your thoughts on cold steel 2 in a future frame trap, since I just beat it a few days ago. Shame you couldn't get anyone else to try it

Auctopus

I'm currently working on a visual update for the OT, one that is more versatile going forward as EZA develops new shows/streams etc.

I'm trying to incorporate a new style that's not just a copy of the EZA font etc.

Which colour palette do you guys prefer out of these two?...

header9ka0x.jpg

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I'm currently working on a visual update for the OT, one that is more versatile going forward as EZA develops new shows/streams etc.

I'm trying to incorporate a new style that's not just a copy of the EZA font etc.

Like the first one it's warmer. That said I like the white outline around the font of the second one. The grey has kind of a boring vibe to me.

The bottom one.

luchadork

At the end of the day, it's you guys getting whatever bullshit thrown at you and not us, so I can't blame you for not wanting to bother

That said, I personally really enjoy random music/movie/etc discussions and recommendations from you guys. We see flashes of it in streams and podcasts but very rarely is there like a long form discussion about stuff outside of games.

Unfortunately with niche stuff especially, like anime or certain pockets of music you have a bunch of people who are really passionate (both positively and negatively). I'm certainly guilty when it comes to music stuff but I try to not just openly be shitty to people who actually like stuff I don't. We have the Metal community thread on GAF which is a bit hard at times, solely because that casts such a wide net of what people would and wouldn't consider "metal". To me it's "yo guys who likes SLAMMING BRUTAL DEATH" and others just want to talk about Deftones or Nightwish or whatever. You'll find certain people who end up liking the same stuff and hopefully the people who think it's shit are nice about it

i think a lot of people are uncomfortable about being themselves. their true selves. they dont want to be judged by society, so they 'reject the norm' and pick a new identity.

if youre insecure about who you are and your place in the world, you can just pick a new identity and have a group that automatically gets 'you'. you cant be judge for being you now. you can only be judged for being an anime fan. youre no longer bill. youre the naruto fan. the berserk fan. and if someone doesnt like you, well, its not you they dont like, they just dont 'get' anime fans.

its so much easier to consume stuff and hide under a label than to 'create' something original and be judged for who you truly are. and because this is their new cover/identity, they have to constantly prove how much of a fan they are. hey, i'm not bill! i swear! i love anime more than anyone! they are insecure. so proving they are more of something than anyone else is a way of compensation. they have to constantly remind you that they arent normal. that you cant judge them. that they are hiding under this label of so and so.

thats why a lot of the biggest fans in the smallest niches are the ones that try the hardest to prove they are a bigger fan that you. a lot of the time, to be the biggest 'fan', you gotta be the most insecure. you feel you have to prove yourself at every opportuntiy. hey, if you knew anything about anime, you'd know that that cover is from frame 16 of episode 201 the rapening. look at how big of an anime fan i am!

if you challenge them on this, they would just say they are trying to educate and help, but i think for some, subconsiously so much of their identity is wrapped up in this small niche they are insecure about other people joining it. if everyone was an anime fan, what would happen to their individual identity? thats why they are constantly correcting people, being passive aggressive, trying to turn people away from liking and joining their 'hobby'. this is 'bills thing'. if it changes to 'everyones thing', what happens to bill? he might have to create his own identity and be judged for that.

Burt

I don't think there's anything planned, but it's a really good idea. I'll message Brandon/Bosman right now.

Awesome! Some suggestions -- Accounting and Rec Room are both free and amazing. QuiVR has a free alpha that's available as a demo that's supposed to be top tier archery and solid online multiplayer. Raw Data, Onward and Arizona Sunshine seem to be the go-to shooters. Thumper is apparently getting Vive support soon too, so that's a great option if Kyle doesn't have it on PSVR.

WarRock

I have not

*looks up Boss Rush gameplay*

I think I've seen someone stream this before (probably Giant Bomb) though I can't say I'm too into the airdashing and stuff. I really dig Odin Sphere Leifthasir which has a lot of that 2D DMC like styling on fools, but Aces Wild looks a little too "constantly bouncing around in the air" for me
When you get good enough (something I am not!) you basically never touch the ground, yeah. But if you like beat'em ups, I can't recommend it enough even if it looks too confusing or not your thing. The controls are VERY simple and the visuals communicate everything pretty well after you get used to it, give it one stage or two.

I basically mentioned it because everything from the second boss on are some of the best fights I've ever seen in a beat'em up. There is a girl with machinegun-jet-boots that fights you while you ride a truck. There is a huge boxer dude dressed sharply that straight up clones himself. There is a girl who fights anime iaijutsu (delayed slashes after dashing and all that jazz) and throws remote controlled bladed umbrellas all over the place.

Everything is SO well designed to challenge your skills over the simple controls and to make you feel like a badass through so much dodging and countering.

10ish hours. Would love to see your and Huber impressions on it =). A couple of tips if do end up playing it: the magnifying glass button autosolves puzzles (without any warning); you kinda are supposed to play each Placebo chapter after finishing each Transmitter chapter (besides the prologue, that doesn't have a place counterpart), unless you want to be even more confused.

When you get good enough (something I am not!) you basically never touch the ground, yeah. But if you like beat'em ups, I can't recommend it enough even if it looks too confusing or not your thing. The controls are VERY simple and the visuals communicate everything pretty well after you get used to it, give it one stage or two.

I basically mentioned it because everything from the second boss on are some of the best fights I've ever seen in a beat'em up. There is a girl with machinegun-jet-boots that fights you while you ride a truck. There is a huge boxer dude dressed sharply that straight up clones himself. There is a girl who fights anime iaijutsu (delayed slashes after dashing and all that jazz) and throws remote controlled bladed umbrellas all over the place.

Everything is SO well designed to challenge your skills over the simple controls and to make you feel like a badass through so much dodging and countering.
Alright, I'll have to try it sometime. I suppose it's hard to be picky about beat em ups nowadays lol. Thanks!

Ben is the one who's most into fighting games. Kyle is into it too to certain extent.

Yep yep! Brad and Huber play occasionally as well. Ian does rarely, but he got pretty excited about SFV for a while. He's shown some interest in King of Fighters.

Speaking just for myself, I really wish I was much better at fighting games so we could cover them in a more substantial way. We used to have guys at GT who were legitimately good, but they went on to do other things. I'm kind of making a "things to do in 2017" list and one of those items is "Hey. Guilty Gear is really, really good. Learn to play it so you can show why."

For season 2 of SFV, I'd like to TRY and do coverage for each new character. I wanted to do something similar for Killer Instinct, but it just didn't happen.

All of the Allies are pretty stoked on Tekken 7, so that should be a fun group stream when it's out.

On the Vive stream, Brandon and Kyle said we should do one in January. They seemed pumped about it. We'll definitely use those recommendations. Thanks, Burt!

Yep yep! Brad and Huber play occasionally as well. Ian does rarely, but he got pretty excited about SFV for a while. He's shown some interest in King of Fighters.

Speaking just for myself, I really wish I was much better at fighting games so we could cover them in a more substantial way. We used to have guys at GT who were legitimately good, but they went on to do other things. I'm kind of making a "things to do in 2017" list and one of those items is "Hey. Guilty Gear is really, really good. Learn to play it so you can show why."

For season 2 of SFV, I'd like to TRY and do coverage for each new character. I wanted to do something similar for Killer Instinct, but it just didn't happen.

All of the Allies are pretty stoked on Tekken 7, so that should be a fun group stream when it's out.

On the Vive stream, Brandon and Kyle said we should do one in January. They seemed pumped about it. We'll definitely use those recommendations. Thanks, Burt!

Like Kyle VS Wozniak, you should a weekly SFV stream practicing for the next EVO "Ben's road to EVO 2017".

Like Kyle VS Wozniak, you should a weekly SFV stream practicing for the next EVO "Ben's road to EVO 2017".

This is a really fun idea. Weekly streams (like Monster Hunter or Ninja Gaiden) have been my favorite. It would force me to practice, which is great. There could be guests as well. Very good stuff, plasmawave.

I'm watching the PSX Wrap-up video and it shows me once again how much I love hearing them talk about video games and their experience with them. Same reason I loved Just Played so much. I do wish they could've cut in someone b-roll footage from the games, because with some games I had absolutely no idea what they were talking about, since I've never heard of those games before. But I understand that it would've taken significantly longer to get the video up, if they did that.

But yeah, the PSX coverage was really, really good. Thank you guys so much.

Don't worry Ben. Posters were absolutely making ridiculous assumptions and posting stupid cringe gifs in response. People just expect the worse out of people and like you said it's always the anime fans.

Edzi

Fingers crossed for more FG coverage in the future! SFV stuff would be awesome, and if you guys ever do decide to play on stream or something I'd definitely be down to drop in for any potential fan lobbies that might happen.

Something really cool that I'd personally like to see would be taking one of the guys who wants to learn and documenting their journey from super scrub to less of a scrub, since getting coverage from people who aren't already into the FGC sounds like it could be fun. That "Road to Evo" idea someone mentioned sounds really fun as well.

This is a really fun idea. Weekly streams (like Monster Hunter or Ninja Gaiden) have been my favorite. It would force me to practice, which is great. There could be guests as well. Very good stuff, plasmawave.

Just a +1 on this idea. I love weekly streams - they're easier to follow, and honestly, feel more like a show. Only issue would be how to measure progression in a fighter. High score is fine for single player, but you'd really need to go online to get some 'real' competition, no?

Kyle is the only Ally that currently has PSVR, so I can ask him about it. I know Huber and myself are looking to get a headset during the Christmas break. Would be cool to have maybe like a Just Played thing with the three of us sometime in January.

I think it's fair to say that the majority of us are on the VR hype train in a very good way.

Well if you all do get one, a seldom talked about upcoming PSVR game is Rollercoaster Dreams (it can be played without a headset as well). It's out on December 20th (I heard it will have a demo available). It's a theme park manager type game, but you can ride the rides in VR (even roller coasters of your own design). That could be fun to watch. It's from a Japanese developer called Bimboosoft, who helped make similar games on Dreamcast and PS2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J88s30bs6o

Just a +1 on this idea. I love weekly streams - they're easier to follow, and honestly, feel more like a show. Only issue would be how to measure progression in a fighter. High score is fine for single player, but you'd really need to go online to get some 'real' competition, no?

Yeah. I'd play almost entirely online unless I got a guest or something and we could do local versus.

Well if you all do get one, a seldom talked about upcoming PSVR game is Rollercoaster Dreams (it can be played without a headset as well). It's out on December 20th (I heard it will have a demo available). It's a theme park manager type game, but you can ride the rides in VR (even roller coasters of your own design). That could be fun to watch. It's from a Japanese developer called Bimboosoft, who helped make similar games on Dreamcast and PS2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J88s30bs6o

This seems so awesome. Lots of great recommendations today everyone. Thank you!

Ruruja

First one gives me JOLLY vibes.

Mista Koo

Guys, I wasn't exited about the Casca thing, c'mon. Just excited about getting the game from a fan. This is ridiculous. You are reading into nothing. I can't believe people would judge me over something I didn't do nor was trying to do in any way. Don't assume someone's feelings over such an issue. I'm shocked I have to say this, but I think rape is abhorrent. Of course I recognized the scene, but was simply blown away that the game showed up in the mail.
Since I was the one to bring it up I didn't really assume anything bad. It's just that your excitement for the game coupled with "Look at this box art!" didn't sit well with me.
Love & respect.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
At first I wasn't planning to listen to the summary episode of Tabletop Escapades (never do this for TV series etc.), but I'm glad I did. Even without any new adventures, it was a treat and almost enough for the weekly dose of TE. Can't wait for the next week's episode and the conclusion of the current fight. Definitely the podcast I'm waiting for the most every week.

I'd watch that!

And also I'd love another SF V training semi-group stream like you guys did some time ago.

Would love to watch the allies play against each other in a game they are dedicated to (or at least try to understand).

That'd be awesome but don't forget about Yakuza. The lack of Yakuza streams has been painful!

I need to dive back into SFV. I find it really fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom