• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

El-Suave

GOTY format was pretty great. I'm very satisfied with the compromise of pre-taped award and live discussion. The only thing I'd wish for were one or two more categories outside of the games themselves, like "Developer of the Year", "Biggest News Story" or "Controversy of the Year".
So proud of EZA for the three finalists and especially the winner.

It's a shame that the thread for the GOTY Awards was rushed like that. Why not wait until the produced video is up as well and then get all your information straight.

Zomba13

Just watching the Fiasconauts episodes. These are fantastic. Don't know why I waited so long. Feep in the space one was amazing.

Really enjoyed the GOTY video and deliberations.

The only thing I would want more of are the "joke" awards like best pre-order, or just more obscure categories, some serious entertainment potential there.

Well done EZA, keeping it real in 2016.

L&R

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Finally seen the goty show. Was a treat thanks EZA.
I loved when Huber dropped the DQ7 remake bomb. I laughed so hard.
I have Huber's back on the Overwatch argument though :-x I could totally see where he's coming from.

I think it's a map structure/objective thing related to strategic movements in Overwatch.
I had actually a somewhat similar problem with some Starcraft 2 maps(at least when talking about ground unit focused games).
The avenues of attacks are condensed in a smaller area and at any given time the main objective in Overwatch is 1 point(Payload, Area) instead of several limiting match permutation on strategic level of movement/etc. The variety in Overwatch seems to largely stem from team execution/composition, general combat.

In comparison to Dota 2(cause that's what I'm familiar with) and I assume from what was said to Battlefield 1 where more objectives are in play at any given time at the same time as well those objectives being more spread out in space allowing a wider variety of strategic movement and counter adaption.

If I'm allowed to use Dota as an example cause I've not played BF1.
There we have the towers 3 in each lane(3 objectives), jungle, ward spots, enemy hero position, runes, and as the game goes on we get Roshan, enemy half area, high ground, enemy objective, etc etc. There just a huge variance in each game of the movements you need to make/can make.

Would love to illustrate that but Overwatch to my knowledge doesn't have 2d maps. It's a super interesting design/nerd topic.

Edit: Also wishing everyone nice holidays and hope everyone goes fully recharged into the new year :) (The year of valhalla :p)

sora87

The worth the wait segment was so fun! Even if they arrived at the wrong conclusion, FF XV, with all the problems, even thought I did enjoy it, did not deserve that.

I actually applauded when TLG was revealed as the GOTY, I sooooooo thought it was gonna be FF XV! YESSSSSSSSSSS, TRICO FOREVER!

Starting to get the impression he likes these guys lol. Sticking up for Kyle now this. Eza to host Sony e3 conference confirmed

Considering that Kyle has serenaded him with "Don't Want to Miss A Thing", Shu tweeting about the closure of GT, and welcoming then back as EZA...? Yes. He loves them.

Also the fact that he responds to everyone that tweets him is just kind of cute. It's clear he doesn't have a PR guy responding to the tweets and I love that.

J-Skee

Back door shady deal.

On the other note, Allies is getting close to alienate none Nintendo & Sony fans...

You know what's funny though? From everyone I follow, EZA were the only group to mention Quantum Break. I completely forgot it existed. It just came & went.

Hasney

Back door shady deal.

On the other note, Allies is getting close to alienate none Nintendo & Sony fans...

Not really sure what they should do when they don't have a good year? Forza was mentioned as the best driving game from Bloods list, Gears 4 is whatever in a year of utterly fantastic shooters and outside of Pokemon and publishing #FE, it was a filler year Nintendo before they make the Switch. If anything, I think MS and Nintendo games probably got mentioned more here than they will in a lot of places.

Vinc

Worth the wait was the right choice for this reason, in my opinion:

- The Witness being good was never really in question. We had no reason to believe it wouldn't be good. It was also a new IP with not much riding on it (except for Jonathan Blow himself). I also do think the amount of people anticipating the game makes the stakes different for each game.

- The Last Guardian is a similar situation to Witness. Ueda never put out a bad game. Fans knew what to expect... it was just a question of whether we'd eventually get the game or not. I'd give that second place, because there was drama surrounding this game (will it even happen, is it cancelled, etc)

- FFXV had the most drama by far... and its quality was always in question. It also revitalizes a huge, beloved franchise. It's definitely the winner for these reasons to me. All three games were good, and different people will prefer different games, but XV had the most riding on it.

Zomba13

Worth the wait was the right choice for this reason, in my opinion:

- The Witness being good was never really in question. We had no reason to believe it wouldn't be good. It was also a new IP with not much riding on it (except for Jonathan Blow himself). I also do think the amount of people anticipating the game makes the stakes different for each game.

- The Last Guardian is a similar situation to Witness. Ueda never put out a bad game. Fans knew what to expect... it was just a question of whether we'd eventually get the game or not. I'd give that second place, because there was drama surrounding this game (will it even happen, is it cancelled, etc)

- FFXV had the most drama by far... and its quality was always in question. It also revitalizes a huge, beloved franchise. It's definitely the winner for these reasons to me. All three games were good, and different people will prefer different games, but XV had the most riding on it.

I dunno, FFXV was the most obvious one that suffered from the development hell, that had noticeable, serious, flaws because of it. Say what you want about "umm actually everything was restarted 3 years ago", there was just so much missing from the game that you would expect (like a functional story). TLG and The Witness showed no signs that these games had any sort of development issues (outside of TLG running like shit because it's a Team Ico game) they were both solid games that were complete and compelling and best in their genres (puzzle and adventure/bird-beast bonding).

And I enjoy FFXV. I will very much double dip on the PC version that is definitely coming. That game is very fun but one of the biggest things in a Final Fantasy game (for me and many others) is the story, the plot, the narrative, and this one falls flat on its face.

Vinc

I dunno, FFXV was the most obvious one that suffered from the development hell, that had noticeable, serious, flaws because of it. Say what you want about "umm actually everything was restarted 3 years ago", there was just so much missing from the game that you would expect (like a functional story). TLG and The Witness showed no signs that these games had any sort of development issues (outside of TLG running like shit because it's a Team Ico game) they were both solid games that were complete and compelling and best in their genres (puzzle and adventure/bird-beast bonding).

And I enjoy FFXV. I will very much double dip on the PC version that is definitely coming. That game is very fun but one of the biggest things in a Final Fantasy game (for me and many others) is the story, the plot, the narrative, and this one falls flat on its face.

I just feel like that stuff should go in a "best game" debate. I feel like more weight should be put in the wait part of it. I also think the game changing more may actually be a sign that the WAIT part was more worth it, because more visibly happened to the game. We waited for Witness because it takes a while to make the game with basically one person on it, we waited for TLG because we had to wait for Sony to put out a more powerful console, and we waited for FFXV because they had to get it right. I just feel like the wait itself was more meaningful, and that the end result was also more meaningful. I gotta say I totally see your point and perspective though, it's just as valid. I think it's basically a matter of how people interpret the question.

Zomba13

I just feel like that stuff should go in a "best game" debate. I feel like more weight should be put in the wait part of it. I also think the game changing more may actually be a sign that the WAIT part was more worth it, because more visibly happened to the game. We waited for Witness because it takes a while to make the game with basically one person on it, we waited for TLG because we had to wait for Sony to put out a more powerful console, and we waited for FFXV because they had to get it right. I just feel like the wait itself was more meaningful, and that the end result was also more meaningful. I gotta say I totally see your point and perspective though, it's just as valid. I think it's basically a matter of how people interpret the question.

But is the wait worth it when they don't? It wasn't a "longest wait" category. I get the point how the quality shouldn't really be the main factor in the category because then it just becomes "best game out of these three", but I think you still need to stick that landing and the longer the wait, the better you need to nail it. TLG and The Witness both nailed it, they took a long time and were great and definitely worth the years waiting for them but with FFXV it just feels like the long wait wasn't a benefit like the other two (stronger hardware for TLG and nailing what is essentially another language in The Witness). FFXV went through story and character revisions, plot points and characters just dropped, combat remade from the ground up multiple times, demos made just to show stuff off with unique content not actually used in the final game, multiple trailers showing things that just aren't representative of the final product (even just talking about since it was called FFXV).

I feel that if the discussion came down to TLG and FFXV, TLG would have won. There was just too much hype for FFXV in that room that literally a piece of shit in a black suit and car would've been worth the wait.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Not if Knack 2 release in 2017.

Return of the King.

While the GOTY deliberations were some of my favorite gaming "content" of the year, I hope next time they do something similar they don't have the ability to read chat. Seemed to distract them sometimes and it bummed me out seeing in real time people taking issue with them/their opinions. Maybe have Damiani (if he's running things behind the scenes) have access to it and act as a filter for what should be suggested to them.

Also, i'll say it again, I really, really hope there's bets/betting special for the Switch reveal. While i'm pumped for the event, plenty of possibility that if could be hilarious.

I want bets on who is making the day 1 switch.

While the GOTY deliberations were some of my favorite gaming "content" of the year, I hope next time they do something similar they don't have the ability to read chat. Seemed to distract them sometimes and it bummed me out seeing in real time people taking issue with them/their opinions. Maybe have Damiani (if he's running things behind the scenes) have access to it and act as a filter for what should be suggested to them.

Also, i'll say it again, I really, really hope there's bets/betting special for the Switch reveal. While i'm pumped for the event, plenty of possibility that if could be hilarious.

I NEED a three-way betting special between Ultima, Bosman, and Huber. Please make it happen Bosman.

e: enjoyed the goty stream last night though I wish they would deliberate a little more passionately for the things they love--that might require the arguments to be OFF a stream though and maybe a prerecorded discussion. It seemed like they kinda brought up each candidate and then resorted to a half-vote-thing. Too much settling. I want more #bloodburns in my life. Regardless, it was a fun stream, and the TLG defense for 'worth the wait' makes much more sense now knowing that it won their GOTY. No wonder Kyle was astounded that people were going for The Witness. Even though he's wrong and The Witness is game of the year..

Additionally, I hope they do another "goty (pron. goat-eee) so far" episode of the podcast in the middle of 2017. That was one of my favorite episodes of GT.

Kneefoil

I like that in the GotY video Brandon says "We here at EZA don't throw around the phrase 'worth the wait' around lightly - yet it's hard to imagine a game more worthy of the description than The Last Guardian", and then they proceed to give the Worth the Wait 2016 award to Final Fantasy XV and almost they almost gave it to The Witness too, instead of TLG. I know that it doesn't mean that any of these games are necessarily less worthy of the title than the others, but I still found it kind of funny. :p

I like that in the GotY video Brandon says "We here at EZA don't throw around the phrase 'worth the wait' around lightly - yet it's hard to imagine a game more worthy of the description than The Last Guardian", and then they proceed to give the Worth the Wait 2016 award to Final Fantasy XV and almost they almost gave it to The Witness too, instead of TLG. I know that it doesn't mean that any of these games are necessarily less worthy of the title than the others, but I still found it kind of funny. :p

There were a couple things in that GOTY script that I'd normally delete without skipping a beat, but it's an occasion to celebrate, so I left in nonsense like "immersive sim" and "worth the wait." Then when Ian had his joke category, I wanted to try to look at it from a difficult angle since most of the big GOTY contenders were in there.

Auctopus

You're right that it was a weird comment to make, especially so soon after the discussions but remember that Brandon doesn't write all the scripts, he just reads them.

He hasn't even played The Last Guardian yet so the person who wrote that script (most likely Blood who reviewed it, possibly Ben as he raised his hand for TLG) believed that the game was worth the wait... the most... which is still a weird thing to have a category about. But Ian said it was sort of a joke category anyway :)

You're right that it was a weird comment to make, especially so soon after the discussions but remember that Brandon doesn't write all the scripts, he just reads them.

He hasn't even played The Last Guardian yet so the person who wrote that script (most likely Blood who reviewed it, possibly Ben as he raised his hand for TLG) believed that the game was worth the wait... the most... which is still a weird thing to have a category about. But Ian said it was sort of a joke category anyway :)

I wrote the nominee entry for TLG, Damiani wrote the winner.

There were a couple things in that GOTY script that I'd normally delete without skipping a beat, but it's an occasion to celebrate, so I left in nonsense like "immersive sim" and "worth the wait." Then when Ian had his joke category, I wanted to try to look at it from a difficult angle since most of the big GOTY contenders were in there.

Blood you were fighting the good fight for The Witness, I appreciated it

Vinc

But is the wait worth it when they don't? It wasn't a "longest wait" category. I get the point how the quality shouldn't really be the main factor in the category because then it just becomes "best game out of these three", but I think you still need to stick that landing and the longer the wait, the better you need to nail it. TLG and The Witness both nailed it, they took a long time and were great and definitely worth the years waiting for them but with FFXV it just feels like the long wait wasn't a benefit like the other two (stronger hardware for TLG and nailing what is essentially another language in The Witness). FFXV went through story and character revisions, plot points and characters just dropped, combat remade from the ground up multiple times, demos made just to show stuff off with unique content not actually used in the final game, multiple trailers showing things that just aren't representative of the final product (even just talking about since it was called FFXV).

I feel that if the discussion came down to TLG and FFXV, TLG would have won. There was just too much hype for FFXV in that room that literally a piece of shit in a black suit and car would've been worth the wait.

I mean, if they really screw up and end up releasing as bad games, I would say no. But the point is that these particular games all came out good, regardless of how everyone feels about each of them. Otherwise it just becomes "best game that took a while from announcement to release". As for the point about the wait being a benefit or not, I feel like that's a very hard, if not impossible thing to judge from the outside.

Auctopus

The only completely sane and undeniable objective way to have decided this was...

METASCORE DIVIDED BY DEVELOPMENT TIME.

The Witness: 86 divided by 7 (Years) = 12.29

Final Fantasy XV: 82 divided by 10 = 8.20

The Last Guardian: 80 divided by 9 = 8.88

Therefore, it is irrefutable that The Witness was worth the wait the most.

Hasney

Yay, Ben hands over his face because he can't believe what's happening moment. Best episodes.

The only completely sane and undeniable objective way to have decided this was...

I'd say the wait makes getting it even sweeter and therefore, worth it. So change those divisions to multiplication and FFXV wins again!

can we do open critic instead? Metacritic is guttertrash.

EDIT: I guess they're the same nevermind LOL

Dmax3901

Hey Ben figured I'd post this here as twitter is rather restrictive and you're pretty active in this thread.

In response to your bummed out tweet, just wanted to add that, being one of the younger allies, you've always been a source of inspiration for me. I've wanted to do what you guys do for some time now, and I kinda do to an extent (I get games for free and review them!) but it's not lucrative enough at this stage for me to get a living out of it. My day job is a monotonous office-based one, pays the bills but is utterly unfulfilling.

Anyway I remember one time you said you got your start buy just putting stuff out there, you went to a library (?) or something and did solo podcasts. I've started doing podcasts recently with the site I write for and it's been a lot of fun and of course good practice.

Basically... I think, and I'm sure hundreds if not thousands of others feel the same way, that you're a very valuable member of the allies, your eloquence when talking about games you like (or dislike) is intimidating (in a good way) and we appreciate everything you do.

This turned out way sappier than I intended. Ah well. I just get frustrated when I see people getting you guys down, I would like to write a similar message to Ian some time too.

P.S. We never got to play BF1 together! Stupid time zones.

This must not be forgotten, L&R to the creator.

Per Ben's request on stream, someone delivered:

uWYvbi4.jpg

wiibomb

Hey Ben figured I'd post this here as twitter is rather restrictive and you're pretty active in this thread.

In response to your bummed out tweet, just wanted to add that, being one of the younger allies, you've always been a source of inspiration for me. I've wanted to do what you guys do for some time now, and I kinda do to an extent (I get games for free and review them!) but it's not lucrative enough at this stage for me to get a living out of it. My day job is a monotonous office-based one, pays the bills but is utterly unfulfilling.

Anyway I remember one time you said you got your start buy just putting stuff out there, you went to a library (?) or something and did solo podcasts. I've started doing podcasts recently with the site I write for and it's been a lot of fun and of course good practice.

Basically... I think, and I'm sure hundreds if not thousands of others feel the same way, that you're a very valuable member of the allies, your eloquence when talking about games you like (or dislike) is intimidating (in a good way) and we appreciate everything you do.

This turned out way sappier than I intended. Ah well. I just get frustrated when I see people getting you guys down, I would like to write a similar message to Ian some time too.

P.S. We never got to play BF1 together! Stupid time zones.

which tweet? I don't use twitter so it is hard for me to follow what they say, but I'll immediately rush here for a word of support on Ben. He has been, with Bloodworth, the real MVPs of the EZA community here on gaf an a great source of inspiration for me personally, in much more ways than gaming.

I am too a person who admires the job Ben and the allies do, and I certainly wish I could work on such a good job, but it is impossible to work on that by myself alone, specially given the geographical place I live which is often forgotten by all gaming in general. Instead I look at the allies and reflect on how much they enjoy gaming and try to do it as much as they do everyday I play myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom