• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasney

There's definitely something odd going on. If you'd been following Graphtreon for months like me, you'd have noticed that a bunch of days ago (starting from December 12th) all the top creators got a HUGE boost. I mean, Kinda Funny got like $5.000 more. Also the number of patrons grew astronomically in a very quick time (Amanda Palmer went from 8700 to 9500).

However I can't, for the life of me, find anyone on the whole net talking about it. So I dunno if it's a glitch or not, but it definitely seems so.

Yeah, I started checking the blog to see if they changed the calculation for the public facing figure, but no. Very weird.

wiibomb

could this raise in patrons be because of Christmas? people usually give themselves some more space to spend on this month than any of the year. May be a bunch of people know EZA but didn't support them until now because they got the luxury just this month.

Hasney

could this raise in patrons be because of Christmas? people usually give themselves some more space to spend on this month than any of the year. May be a bunch of people know if EZA but didn't support them until know because they got the luxury just this month.

Nah, everything's going up so much.

There's definitely something odd going on. If you'd been following Graphtreon for months like me, you'd have noticed that a bunch of days ago (starting from December 12th) all the top creators got a HUGE boost. I mean, Kinda Funny got like $5.000 more. Also the number of patrons grew astronomically in a very quick time (Amanda Palmer went from 8700 to 9500).

However I can't, for the life of me, find anyone on the whole net talking about it. So I dunno if it's a glitch or not, but it definitely seems so.

So, the word on the street is that Patreon pinged everyone who's ever donated about coming back, and this is the result, but they expect the number to drop to a degree on the first. I'm still not entirely sure about it, but I guess we'll see how things pan out after the next charge period.

Hasney

Former patrons!

9rWx8x.gif

Axass

So, the word on the street is that Patreon pinged everyone who's ever donated about coming back, and this is the result, but they expect the number to drop to a degree on the first. I'm still not entirely sure about it, but I guess we'll see how things pan out after the next charge period.

That would be the best case scenario. If it was some sort of glitch the progress would eventually be undone completely; this way, even if there's a huge drop in January, at least some of that progress will be retained.

By the way, that theory would also explain why older patreons are seemingly getting a bigger boost, having had many more lost patrons trough the years, while younger patreons are getting a lesser boost.

Auctopus

Drunk posting: I love EZA Allies so much, every member of the team is the best and the community is the jolliest, loviest and respectist in the world.

bradbot

Neo Member
Indeed. Also from twitter posts it sounds like the next Frametrap will be great. Bloodworth is on it and they get into The Last Guardian spoiler talk. Yessss! Looking forward to that.

I think its around 2 hours and 50 minutes. We talk The Last Guardian at the end so anyone who doesn't want spoilers can easily bail out.

sora87

I think its around 2 hours and 50 minutes. We talk The Last Guardian at the end so anyone who doesn't want spoilers can easily bail out.

Yesssssss. Legit got choked up at the end of TLG, interested to see if it resonated emotionally with anyone else.

arkon

Yeah, I think that was my favourite moment of my favourite group stream this year (although to be fair I jumped on the bandwagon late and haven't seen all the group streams). Mario Kart 64 holds a special place in my heart so it was nice to see the Allies have a good time playing the battle mode. Nostalgia overload for me.

Bahorel

Hey allies, just wanted to say I finally got accepted to GAF and this is my first post! The Allies have meant so much to me this year, I was following them with GT since 2009 and was devastated after the closure. But they've made such an amazing comeback and created so much content, and I'm so happy for how far they've come from the beginning of the year til now. They've enriched my experience in both gaming and helping me get through the work day, and I can't wait to see how much further they'll go in 2017! Fingers crossed for that studio.

Love and respect, allies, and hello gaf!

Prompto

Banned
My favorite stream this year was when Long John Silver dropped by. Just fun games. And the birth of the anime shirt :D

lol
Yeah that entire stream is great. And that was a fun surprise.
Hey allies, just wanted to say I finally got accepted to GAF and this is my first post! The Allies have meant so much to me this year, I was following them with GT since 2009 and was devastated after the closure. But they've made such an amazing comeback and created so much content, and I'm so happy for how far they've come from the beginning of the year til now. They've enriched my experience in both gaming and helping me get through the work day, and I can't wait to see how much further they'll go in 2017! Fingers crossed for that studio.

Welcome!

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Just saw the DQ11 stuff, can I be a teenager again for 2017?
Like holy shit, all these games that I legit want to play. Like I consider a good year when I have 1 thing I want to play every month.

But next year is just insane, even if I spread the releases out it's probably about 20 games I'm hyped for already. That said, delays. They might "save" me x-).

Deimo5

Can we get a meme origins page or something, I can't keep up all the time. For example, where did "it's ok to like anime" come from?

Deimo5

It's Okay to Like Anime came from the Jack Box stream and it's absolutely required EZA viewing:

https://youtu.be/oDiCO4xSjO0

If you're impatient the tshirt game happens near the end but I highly recommend the entire stream.

Cool thanks, I can keep up with the main channel most of the time but there's probably a bunch of hidden great stuff in many hours of the lets play channel.
Nice to have you on board, welcome.

Welcome, friend.

A word of advice: Learn how to use Subscriptions, it'll make locating this thread (and any others you like) a LOT easier.

Also, be on your best behaviour while you're still a Junior because if you're banned, even if just for a minor thing, that's it. So no trolling, thread whining or anything until you're a full member.

Anyone else watching this Koei Tecmo stream? They're on the Gust segment at the moment and it's a bit too creepy anime for my liking. Why can't the girls just, like, wear some clothes?

Frame Trap has already been recorded, right? Pity the Dragon Quest XI presentation came too late to be mentioned on it. The opening and gameplay footage look awesome.

Budi

Seems like the thread has moved on about their Goty picks already, but I just got around to fully watch their stream.

I was bit bothered by the thought that most of the Allies don't really play that much games that could be considered for Goty. It seemed like it mostly came down to the games they were most hyped about before the release. I'm not bothered by the Goty pick itself, but the discussions about the games. I mean, how can you debate if Xcom 2 or FF15 should be goty when one person played Xcom and most of them played Final Fantasy, ofcourse Final Fantasy will get more votes then. So I wish that for next year Allies would broaden their horizons a bit and give a chance to more games in different genres. I feel that Ben is the best example in this how I wish Allies would play. He seems to have no platform or genre restrictions on the games he plays and even enjoys. Though Huber and Blood seem to be quite profilic too, I might be wrong but this is my impression.

So my biggest hope for EZA in the next year is, please play more games! This would improve their content through out the year imo. Since they would have more informed opinions and also could open up doors for more debating the games merits. And it took the chat to correct Huber on Rainbow Six not being free to play. It's really surprising that game so good, with such a legacy isn't at all on Allies radar that nobody corrected him.

But overall I enjoyed the discussions even with the flaws, I was excepting bit more passion and even chaos maybe. Damiani's thoughts were always great to hear even when I wasn't that interested in the games myself.

Keep up the great work EZA, thanks for this year!

Edit: To be fair, the year has most certainly been hectic for the Allies with the transition from under Defy to being independent in Patreon. So maybe the situation will correct itself next year.

XCOM2 was robbed at the goty's, ROBBED I tell you! /theSalt :p

I think it was a good idea to have a separate "Multiplayer Shooter" category. MP shooters are some of the most popular multiplayer games we play, so much so that they deserve their own award, but they should have been disqualified from the other multiplayer category.
Would have loved to hear an Overcooked vs DarkSouls vs Uncharted multiplayer debate!

Goty's were great though, really looking forward to the evolution of EZA in 2017.

L&R

Bahorel

Seems like the thread has moved on about their Goty picks already, but I just got around to fully watch their stream.

I was bit bothered by the thought that most of the Allies don't really play that much games that could be considered for Goty. It seemed like it mostly came down to the games they were most hyped about before the release. I'm not bothered by the Goty pick itself, but the discussions about the games. I mean, how can you debate if Xcom 2 or FF15 should be goty when one person played Xcom and most of them played Final Fantasy, ofcourse Final Fantasy will get more votes then. So I wish that for next year Allies would broaden their horizons a bit and give a chance to more games in different genres. I feel that Ben is the best example in this how I wish Allies would play. He seems to have no platform or genre restrictions on the games he plays and even enjoys. Though Huber and Blood seem to be quite profilic too, I might be wrong but this is my impression.

So my biggest hope for EZA in the next year is, please play more games! This would improve their content through out the year imo. Since they would have more informed opinions and also could open up doors for more debating the games merits. And it took the chat to correct Huber on Rainbow Six not being free to play. It's really surprising that game so good, with such a legacy isn't at all on Allies radar that nobody corrected him.

But overall I enjoyed the discussions even with the flaws, I was excepting bit more passion and even chaos maybe. Damiani's thoughts were always great to hear even when I wasn't that interested in the games myself.

Keep up the great work EZA, thanks for this year!

Edit: To be fair, the year has most certainly been hectic for the Allies with the transition from under Defy to being independent in Patreon. So maybe the situation will correct itself next year.

I think the biggest issue is really just all about time, sadly. Brandon has talked a lot about how there aren't enough hours in the day to get everything done he wants and needs to do (especially with editing duties), and I bet for the allies who aren't full time it's hard to get in more gaming as well. It turns into a triage to play only the things you want most and the rest gets left behind.

I feel like a solution could possibly be streaming a few more recent games as opposed to old ones they've played before, but I'm sure it's hard to stream a game you aren't familiar with and don't know off the bat what to do.

I'm really feeling the timing issue myself, I work two jobs (albeit not gaming jobs) and yesterday was the first night I could play something in three weeks. (I played Dishonored 1 and Unravel both for the first time, I'm very behind) I've got a giant backlog and I feel like I'm never going to catch up. :/

At the end of the day their GOTY is reflective of their collective taste

While EZA is a "games media outlet" they're still personality-driven and thus their awards heavily reflect their interests vs. "objective all games must be played and considered".

El-Suave

It is my impression that the Allies play many more games than the average games media person does. Maybe those people have other tasks they have to do for their outlets so the comparison isn't fair, but in terms of knowledge the Allies are miles ahead on average of your typical games journalist. When I listen to other podcasts I often shake my head in disbelief about how little some media people who work in this industry know or even care about the field they report on. That happens very rarely with EZA.
In GOTY discussions the phenomenon you describe frequently happens and I think it is inevitable. That's why the GOTY lists of the individual Allies are just as important as the overall list is.

Budi

I think the biggest issue is really just all about time, sadly. Brandon has talked a lot about how there aren't enough hours in the day to get everything done he wants and needs to do (especially with editing duties), and I bet for the allies who aren't full time it's hard to get in more gaming as well. It turns into a triage to play only the things you want most and the rest gets left behind.

Yeah, time is my worst enemy too when it comes to gaming. Hopefully we get another full time Ally next year! And I wouldn't even expect them to necessarily complete the games, but give them a fair shake. Play something like Mankind Divided for 5 or 10 hours and call it a day, unless at that point they feel they want to complete it ofcourse. Just to get an idea how it is, what they like about it and what they don't.

At the end of the day their GOTY is reflective of their collective taste

While EZA is a "games media outlet" they're still personality-driven and thus their awards heavily reflect their interests vs. "objective all games must be played and considered".

True and I didn't mind their pick at all, I love how passionate they are about it. And my hopes about them playing more games isn't just about the Gotys but to benefit the discussions and content during the year.

It is my impression that the Allies play many more games than the average games media person does. Maybe those people have other tasks they have to do for their outlets so the comparison isn't fair, but in terms of knowledge the Allies are miles ahead on average of your typical games journalist. When I listen to other podcasts I often shake my head in disbelief about how little some media people who work in this industry know or even care about the field they report on. That happens very rarely with EZA.

This could be very true, I don't personally really follow any other group or invidual so closely as I do with the Allies. Maybe i'm hoping for too much from EZA, but I really appreciate their thoughts and would like to hear more. I think most of us really love the spoilercasts when we get them, basically I'm hoping to see more of those. In-depth discussions on invidual games by the group.

Edit: And for the record, I feel that EZA has given me more than what I expected this year. Patreon money well spent! But the Goty discussion wasn't quite what I imagined it to be and it got me thinking what I'd love to see improve next year overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom