• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't even like playing Tetris, but it's fascinating to watch. You have the element of him just trying to hit high scores (and constant looming sensation that it could all be over in seconds), but it's also like you're watching his brain work. Especially when he's doing a bit in the 400k range and killing it, his subconscious going hard af

It is my impression that the Allies play many more games than the average games media person does. Maybe those people have other tasks they have to do for their outlets so the comparison isn't fair, but in terms of knowledge the Allies are miles ahead on average of your typical games journalist. When I listen to other podcasts I often shake my head in disbelief about how little some media people who work in this industry know or even care about the field they report on. That happens very rarely with EZA.
In GOTY discussions the phenomenon you describe frequently happens and I think it is inevitable. That's why the GOTY lists of the individual Allies are just as important as the overall list is.

Agreed. Not playing everything is an inevitable problem anyone is going to run into with GOTY lists and it happens everywhere but I think EZA are actually really good at it. There's a really diverse range of tastes between them all.

Yeah, time is my worst enemy too when it comes to gaming. Hopefully we get another full time Ally next year! And I wouldn't even expect them to necessarily complete the games, but give them a fair shake. Play something like Mankind Divided for 5 or 10 hours and call it a day, unless at that point they feel they want to complete it ofcourse. Just to get an idea how it is, what they like about it and what they don't.

What makes you think they didn't play Mankind Divided? I'm pretty sure Huber did at the very least, probably Blood too. The reason why it wasn't on their GOTY lists is more likely to be that it just wasn't good enough to make it. I mean, I played through the entire thing (including that awful Breach mode) and it still won't even come close to making my top 10 list.

This might be part of your problem, you're expecting games to be there that they just didn't like enough.

Huber has dedicated at least one Syndrome to Mankind Divided and has praised it

Blood reviewed it and was very positive on it

This year just had a lot of very good games

Burt

Oh man, thank you whoever picked Bubble Bobble for Boz v Woz

The second it came on, I was like "... is this Bubble Bobble??"

I literally hadn't heard the song since I had my NES hooked up 20 years ago, and it clicked immediately.

I didn't know that such a thing was possible )=

Tetris, Space Invaders, Asteroids, Breakout and Missile Command are such universal games for me.
I just can't hang with the greats when it comes to puzzlin'

Columns though, now there's a game
80687-columns-genesis-screenshot-near-to-lose.png

Also EASY UPDATE (special German import edition)

Mista Koo

I didn't know that such a thing was possible )=

Tetris, Space Invaders, Asteroids, Breakout and Missile Command are such universal games for me.
Personally I'm not a big fan of Tetris-style arcade puzzle games, and I've only recently started getting into other run-based games (or even games without an explicit win state).
My favorite times with these kinds of puzzle games has always been the puzzle mode, where you have to clear the board given a specific setup and a limited moves.

I like my games to have win states.

Philippo

I would love to follow Bosman vs Wozniak, but its too long and i cabd hardly follow group streams let alone individual let's plays...

I wish someone would make a mega cut with all the funniest moments from it.

Budi

What makes you think they didn't play Mankind Divided? I'm pretty sure Huber did at the very least, probably Blood too. The reason why it wasn't on their GOTY lists is more likely to be that it just wasn't good enough to make it. I mean, I played through the entire thing (including that awful Breach mode) and it still won't even come close to making my top 10 list.

This might be part of your problem, you're expecting games to be there that they just didn't like enough.

Yup, I completed it too. And indeed Blood played and reviewed it, 4½/5 stars I think. Also it was on his personal picks list. And Huber definitely played it and liked it. But how about Ben, Brad, Brandon etc. If they indeed played it, why they didn't like it? That's what I'd like to hear, I don't need my favorites to be the Goty (Deus Ex isn't mine). But I'd like to hear more impressions from more people throughout the year about great games. Just like we got 4 guys talking about FF15 in Frame Trap. Just like next year many propably want to hear similar discussions about Andromeda, Persona 5, For Honor and Breath of the Wild.

Sorry if this comes across selfish, as I would expect EZA to answer in all of my gaming media needs. Maybe I should just seek out second group to follow alonside EZA.

Yup, I completed it too. And indeed Blood played and reviewed it, 4½/5 stars I think. Also it was on his personal picks list. And Huber definitely played it and liked it. But how about Ben, Brad, Brandon etc. If they indeed played it, why they didn't like it? That's what I'd like to hear, I don't need my favorites to be the Goty (Deus Ex isn't mine). But I'd like to hear more impressions from more people throughout the year about great games. Just like we got 4 guys talking about FF15 in Frame Trap. Just like next year many propably want to hear similar discussions about Andromeda, Persona 5, For Honor and Breath of the Wild.

Sorry if this comes across selfish, as I would expect EZA to answer in all of my gaming media needs. Maybe I should just seek out second group to follow alonside EZA.

They all have different tastes and time available. You need to remember that only three of them are on salary, though Brandon did say Blood and Huber basically work full-time. And just because they're working full-time, doesn't mean they're playing games full-time. The others (presumably) have jobs and have to fit EZA stuff into their spare time.

And yeah, I'd recommend following more than just one group. I personally follow EZA, the Giant Beastcast and Waypoint Radio. They're all great groups/podcasts and offer interesting points of view and tastes.

Hasney

They all have different tastes and time available. You need to remember that only three of them are on salary, though Brandon did say Blood and Huber basically work full-time. And just because they're working full-time, doesn't mean they're playing games full-time. The others (presumably) have jobs and have to fit EZA stuff into their spare time.

And yeah, I'd recommend following more than just one group. I personally follow EZA, the Giant Beastcast and Waypoint Radio. They're all great groups/podcasts and offer interesting points of view and tastes.

Yup and the only way to get those casts done is for everyone to be foreced to play the same games AND at a certain pace. I can't think of any general gaming outlet who do those types of discussions just because there's not enough staff to play the same things. I'd personally have them play what they want and if taste and passion for a game comes up as well as time, then go with it and it will be awesome.

The amount of time and effort needed to get to the point of having those conversations between at least 3 people is difficult when you have other things to play for work AND other things you just want to play for yourself.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah agree that I would love for every major game to get the FFXV treatment but some of that stuff are just the realities of resources available(time, etc) + I think also not everyone just being into every major release enough to bring passionate opinions to the table(which makes discussions like the FFXV one great).

That said EZA is still one of the best places to go for diverse taste(by the sheer fact that it's 9 people that do have pretty distinct tastes) and passionate opinions on any of the major releases from at least one person(and I don't mean they cover all the bases but really a lot of them).

:p that said allow me to throw some joke shade at Huber and Ben the very few times they mentioned dota. Very outdated/uninformed opinions. Although I totally understand where they come from.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Whats the up to date way to throw shade at DOTA? just in case I need to give a HOTTAKE at some point

:D

Can't ever go wrong with it's too complicated :D.
Like it seriously is, the new patch still wrinkling my brain and I've played 15 games on it.

As for what mentions I'm referring to, Huber I believe was more half bitter about dota receiving the Valve attention and not Half Life 3 and then went on to throw shade at Gaben which was pretty funny to be honest.

Ben I think explained that he played so much dota in his teens that he had his fill.
Something like that(but it's been a while so totally sorry if I misquoted that from memory) and I totally get the sentiment but at the same time dota does change to an enormous degree within patches. The changes are probably comparable to someone changing between fighting games(Street Figher, King of Fighers, Soul Calibur, etc).
That said I might self own myself with this comparison because I'm such a filthy casual when it comes to fighting games, just my guess based on discussions around fighting games that I've read/listened to.

Yes many similarities but the intricacies are veeeeeery different.

Yup and the only way to get those casts done is for everyone to be foreced to play the same games AND at a certain pace. I can't think of any general gaming outlet who do those types of discussions just because there's not enough staff to play the same things. I'd personally have them play what they want and if taste and passion for a game comes up as well as time, then go with it and it will be awesome.

The amount of time and effort needed to get to the point of having those conversations between at least 3 people is difficult when you have other things to play for work AND other things you just want to play for yourself.

That's what made the Just Played series so good. It gave a lot of games their time to shine and showed the diversity in game tastes among the staffers.

I hope it comes back, once they get a studio.

As far as "getting the FFXV treatment", that game was the first time we had done something exactly like that on Frame Trap. On Monday, we do it again with The Last Guardian. I think our game coverage will get more consistent, deeper, and broader in the coming months. We are still very much an evolving thing. We haven't been doing this all that long and as we get more familiar with things, our capabilities will improve. The fact that I feel muuuuch more comfortable with editing than I did a month ago helps too.

It's a really good conversation you all have been having. As far as Dota goes, it's a bit of a tricky thing. I am interested in the game, but not so much that I'd be willing to sacrifice other things for it. Dota is a big comittment if you want to speak intelligently about it, and I already think there are many other things we're not giving attention to that we should be. Even with all that said, I very much plan to check out the new update and talk about it on Frame Trap. So while there may not be regular coverage, never count anything out. (I know you were largely joking, but I still thought it may be good to show the thought process with this stuff).

Really though, all we need are some friendly reminders. When people say "Hey, I'd like someone from EZA to talk about X", we hear it and definitely try to take it under consideration. It's why I'm so committed to making the Witcher convesation happen because there was an interest shown for it on here. It's also why the XV spoilercast is happening.

As far as "getting the FFXV" treatment, that game was the first time we had done something exactly like that on Frame Trap. On Monday, we do it again with The Last Guardian. I think our game coverage will get more consistent, deeper, and broader in the coming months. We are still very much an evolving thing. We haven't been doing this all that long and as we get more familiar with things, our capabilities will improve. The fact that I feel muuuuch more comfortable with editing than I did a month ago helps too.

It's a really good conversation you all have been having. As far as Dota goes, it's a bit of a tricky thing. I am interested in the game, but not so much that I'd be willing to sacrifice other things for it. Dota is a big comittment if you want to speak intelligently about it, and I already think there are many other things we're not giving attention to that we should be. Even with all that said, I very much plan to check out the new update and talk about it on Frame Trap. So while there may not be regular coverage, never count anything out. Concerning "outdated and uninformed" opinions on the game, I don't remember talking about Dota in any serious way since EZA started, so it may be true, but I don't believe either Huber or myself were trying to come from places of authority. (I know you were largely joking, but I still thought it may be good to show the thought process with this stuff).

Ben are you planning to do a year in review frametrap episode?

sora87

I really hope in 2017 they can find the time to make a show about more retro games, have 2 or 3 of the allies just talk about a game from the older consoles as a throwback thing, maybe make it fortnightly or monthly. That's the next show I really want from EZA going forward now.
Probably not what many others want but ah well :p

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
As far as "getting the FFXV" treatment, that game was the first time we had done something exactly like that on Frame Trap. On Monday, we do it again with The Last Guardian. I think our game coverage will get more consistent, deeper, and broader in the coming months. We are still very much an evolving thing. We haven't been doing this all that long and as we get more familiar with things, our capabilities will improve. The fact that I feel muuuuch more comfortable with editing than I did a month ago helps too.

It's a really good conversation you all have been having. As far as Dota goes, it's a bit of a tricky thing. I am interested in the game, but not so much that I'd be willing to sacrifice other things for it. Dota is a big comittment if you want to speak intelligently about it, and I already think there are many other things we're not giving attention to that we should be. Even with all that said, I very much plan to check out the new update and talk about it on Frame Trap. So while there may not be regular coverage, never count anything out. Concerning "outdated and uninformed" opinions on the game, I don't remember talking about Dota in any serious way since EZA started, so it may be true, but I don't believe either Huber or myself were trying to come from places of authority. (I know you were largely joking, but I still thought it may be good to show the thought process with this stuff).

Hey totally I appreciate you giving your two cents :).

Also don't ever feel obligated to cover dota for the sake of it(although mad respect Ben cause you're one of the people in gaming that has probably the broadest interest in games and always seem to seek to expand your tastes), it's too insane and calling it a big commitment is almost an understatement.

Like it's just not worth it in my humble opinion to get the point to have a somewhat interesting opinion on the game. Although I'm probably super biased because I'm very much into the scene where you get coverage from people that do it as their full time job so super unfair comparison.

And I always feel bad when Brad Shoemaker talks about it on the Giantbomb podcast cause in my mind I can see a big part of the audience falling asleep when the topic hits xD. What I basically mean I believe it's kind of hard to have an opinion that speaks to an audience, cause on one side you have the "hardcores" for whom most things might be too shallow on the other side you have people that are just not that into it(But I might be totally wrong).

That said something interesting that might be worth trying out is what would it take to get someone to the point where watching dota pro matches(or any esports really) becomes somewhat enjoyable :-x. Like basically what would it take to get to the level of understanding the game where you can appreciate all the mind games and strategy.

Like I could actually use a guide on that for fighting games cause I love the mind games and strategy part in any esports(Hearthstone, Dota, SC2, etc). So given that I don't have that understanding I always found watching fighting games somewhat lacking cause I only see flashy moves executed. I think the concept in fighting games that I would love to understand the most for watching is how to recognize players utilizing space/range super well.

Also cool to hear about your progress in editing. EZA 2020 :D we get you to learn Japanese? :p

EDIT: Also forgot what might be worth checking out from January 18th onward for any dota research, Day9 has blessed the community and is doing a joint with Purge(who for the longest time did dota content that was day9 like). So maybe watching that yields interesting perspectives cause Day9 has only started dota a few months ago and has seemingly fallen in love with the game.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/5ioc9a/day9_learns_dota_with_purge_jan_18th_every/

Ben- think you can round up Blood, Kyle and Damiani for a TLG spoilercast? No holds bar discussion.

Already happened. Frame Trap. Tomorrow. I seriously don't think Frame Trap is given enough credit for picking up the baton from Just Played. I know that in some ways individual videos might be more accessible, but I also think it's easier to get into conversations when you can naturally transition from one game into another.

So Frametrap will include The Last Guardian spoilers?

Hmm.

I've been trying to savour the game. Not rush through it. Stop after an hour or so, turn the PS4 off and think for a little bit. Give myself a chance to remember what Trico and I have been through. If I just rushed through it in one or two sittings then I'd likely forget all the cool little details.

But now Frametrap.

Do I power through the game tonight, or keep going at my own pace and delay watching a great podcast. Decisions decisions.

So Frametrap will include The Last Guardian spoilers?

Hmm.

I've been trying to savour the game. Not rush through it. Stop after an hour or so, turn the PS4 off and think for a little bit. Give myself a chance to remember what Trico and I have been through. If I just rushed through it in one or two sittings then I'd likely forget all the cool little details.

But now Frametrap.

Do I power through the game tonight, or keep going at my own pace and delay watching a great podcast. Decisions decisions.

It's at the end of the show, so you can get to it whenever you want.

Damiani's Target rant kinda tickles me. I can't help but hope someone who really wanted a NES classic got one instead of this Jaded guy who didn't even really want one in the 1st place ^_^

Already happened. Frame Trap. Tomorrow. I seriously don't think Frame Trap is given enough credit for picking up the baton from Just Played. I know that in some ways individual videos might be more accessible, but I also think it's easier to get into conversations when you can naturally transition from one game into another.

As the weird guy in this thread, who prefers shorter formats, you're absolutely right about that. The beginning of Frame Trap is definitely a good substitute for Just Played. In a way I like it even more, because sometimes Ben gets in this interview mode and asks the right follow-up questions, making it even more interesting. I'd probably be happy if that segment could be watched separately on YouTube, in addition to the full episode.

Damini's Target story makes me grateful that the most I've had to deal with is a book lost in transit (got a refund for it) and slow delivery times.

That said, I kinda felt bummed when the panel sandbagged Battlefield 1 using a remix of Seven Nation Army for a trailer. Having not seen the trailer, I did find it a really good track for one of their TV spots and even went out of my way to get it to listen on my own time. I can get the "why didn't you use the original version for this game set in a retro time period" thing, but Bosman should've pointed out that the original version of Seven Nation Army has pretty much been co-opted by sports, so if they did the usual "fade in from black without establishing which game this is" bit that E3 press conferences love doing, people would've probably assumed it was a Madden or FIFA game and bailed out for a bathroom break (in fact, I think I did this).

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
New Bosman! - The Hollow Victories of Infinite Warfare and Mafia 3

In CoD's defense on marketing, at least they didn't make people cry like anime fans on prom night :-x

In all seriousness I have not seen that ad, hilarious end bit.
The obvious takeaway here is that Kyle's true calling is corporate marketing and selling stuff to the man :D.

Axass

Damiani's Half-Life playthrough was something else. The Xen part was really hard to watch, especially the final boss.

Will the blender reveal itself?
I'm expecting it to be a subtle change in the video for the next Shenmue 3/FF7R style monumental announcement. Like if ever some hugely unprecedented thing happens in the gaming industry, the blender will just be visible without fanfare.

But we already had Knack 2 so maybe not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom