• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anime only show? By Ben and Brad?? With guests??? Weekly???? And Kyle is a big HxH fan?????
HOLY SHIT I'M UPPING MY SUBSCRIPTION BY 100$!

Will you accept suggestions about topics and/or new shows to watch?

I appreciate the enthusiasm! The show is monthly, though, not weekly.

wiibomb

I feel SO bad to have to tune out of the last 2 frame traps because of spoilers... I really think this segment should be a separate videos instead of something Frametrap related, I would even think that a general impression is nice, but keep it spoiler-free to watch it all

sora87

Great TLG discussion at the end of frame trap, Ben, I too
was in shambles at the ending. Truly an amazing unique experience.

I feel SO bad to have to tune out of the last 2 frame traps because of spoilers... I really think this segment should be a separate videos instead of something Frametrap related, I would even think that a general impression is nice, but keep it spoiler-free to watch it all

Even though it's at the end of the episode with plenty of time to get out? I don't get it. Seems easy enough to close the video after the first 2 hours or so.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
haha Ben what a tease, when you mentioned the anime show before it sounded like something far away :D .
Pretty exciting. Looking forward to it.
I heard One piece nd like blanked out during that segment !!. Hype
One Piece it's going to be 20 years soon since that series started and about 13 when I first saw the series be broadcasted in my country and 10 since I started reading. Damn time flies by.
-----------------------
Frame trap great as ever, Bloodborne discussion has me on the floor.

That transfarring callback

Haha, me too. Gonna have hours to watch once i'm done with FFXV and LG.

Axass

5700 patrons! *woooo*

Berserk, One Piece, JoJo, Hunter x Hunter, Kill la Kill are all excellent choices for the show BTW (can't stop thinking about it, what a nice surprise!).

Some of what I'd like to see next (keeping it pretty much mainstream): Fullmetal Alchemist, Death Note, Hayao Miyazaki (a special about his movies maybe), Neon Genesis Evangelion, Naoki Urasawa (Monster / 20th Century Boys), Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Attack on Titan, Hellsing.

5700 patrons! *woooo*

Berserk, One Piece, JoJo, Hunter x Hunter, Kill la Kill are all excellent choices for the show BTW (can't stop thinking about it, what a nice surprise!).
I love Kill la Kill. I totally get why it can be divisive but it's classic DBZ/YYH style shonen mixed with DMC and Looney Tunes. God tier show

Don't know if the intent is for the new show to be more focused on current happenings but an episode on 90's shonen from Toonami or whatever got you guys into it would be fun. Like what drew you to it, what holds up, how does it compare to modern stuff you're into

I went back and watched DBZ for the first time in a long time in (I think) 2012. Watched the stretch from Trunks thru Cell Games (my favorite, step off Frieza nerds) and I loved it but the 80 or whatever episodes was just a huge stretch full of filler. Eventually I lost interest when it got into the bleh post-Cell stuff and moved on to Yu Yu Hakusho and ooooooh boy that there's a show. I watched it on Toonami when it was initially airing but never saw the full run. It's a lean 112 episodes and hits the same notes as DBZ in like a fourth of the time. You meet enemies who are disposed of within an episode or two. Last saga is filler but it could be worse and is eventually a nice close to the series. Chapter Black though... Whew.

Amazing amazing Frametrap episode. I really think using Frametrap to do spoilercasts of the "big" games that happen a couple times a year is a great move. Especially putting it at the end so people have a jump off point.

Also Ben, Kyle, Blood, and Brad just a superb discussion of TLG. It's everything I could have hoped for and why I love this crew. Measured, insightful, and well thought out takes of my favorite game of the year.

I'm intrigued about the EZAnime show (saw that on YouTube comments). I used to be big into anime late 90s and early 2000s. But with the rise of streaming, tv shows improved and other interests the time isn't there for it as well. Still do manga here and there. But this might get me back. Berserk is one of the ones I still follow.

I did kind of wish since EZAnime is weekly we could get Frametrap to weekly instead. And make the anime show every other week. But since it's 2 people vs 4 I can see logistically it being harder to do. But the in depth game discussion from Frametrap is so top tier I'd want it weekly!

Also does this mean since you meet up weekly we can get a Ben/Brad stream weekly. Most of the JRPG crew back to ride out again?

And finally the stories of gaming with family or parents was so great. My parents never played any game with me so I have no context for it. They werent against them or discouraged me but they just weren't their thing. Over the years we have good discussions on tv shows now. Like talking the wire, shield, deadwood, Westworld, breaking bad, etc. so that's awesome. But for games that'd blow my mind. I did Game some with my siblings but they never were into games as much as me. And going to 3D games cut them out completely.

Budi

Amazing amazing Frametrap episode. I really think using Frametrap to do spoilercasts of the "big" games that happen a couple times a year is a great move. Especially putting it at the end so people have a jump off point.

I did kind of wish since EZAnime is weekly we could get Frametrap to weekly instead. And make the anime show every other week. But since it's 2 people vs 4 I can see logistically it being harder to do. But the in depth game discussion from Frametrap is so top tier I'd want it weekly!

The anime show is monthly.

As someone who was hoping to see more in-depth discussions on single games, I take what I can get so having them in Frame Trap is fine with me. Though at the same time, the Frame Trap before this felt short for me since I skipped the FF discussions because I have no interest in that game. And now while i'm very interested in Last Guardian, I'd rather not spoil it if there's ever a chance for me to play it. So again Frame Trap cuts a bit short for me. But as I said, I really want these spoiler discussions to happen.

Also Ben, Kyle, Blood, and Brad just a superb discussion of TLG. It's everything I could have hoped for and why I love this crew. Measured, insightful, and well thought out takes of my favorite game of the year.

I'm intrigued about the EZAnime show (saw that on YouTube comments). I used to be big into anime late 90s and early 2000s. But with the rise of streaming, tv shows improved and other interests the time isn't there for it as well. Still do manga here and there. But this might get me back. Berserk is one of the ones I still follow.

Also does this mean since you meet up weekly we can get a Ben/Brad stream weekly. Most of the JRPG crew back to ride out again?

And finally the stories of gaming with family or parents was so great. My parents never played any game with me so I have no context for it. They werent against them or discouraged me but they just weren't their thing. Over the years we have good discussions on tv shows now. Like talking the wire, shield, deadwood, Westworld, breaking bad, etc. so that's awesome. But for games that'd blow my mind. I did Game some with my siblings but they never were into games as much as me. And going to 3D games cut them out completely.

Not sure how "weekly" is spreading. Pretty sure the idea is for the anime show to be monthly.

I'd love to hear Ben and Brad's thoughts on HunterxHunter. It became my favourite shonen after watching the 2011 show about a year ago. Holy crap are the characters great and Hisoka is a awesome villain.

I think a monthly anime show is a great idea. It gives the crew plenty of time for arcs in shows to develop and gives the Allies time to binge on the shows if they can't keep up week to week, while keeping them from going into pure reaction territory and causing problems if people don't keep up with the shows. It also helps avoid problems if an anime season is ultra dire and there isn't much the Allies are into - it'll be easier to handle a monthly podcast with little material than a weekly one.

As for shows I'd be interested in hearing commentary on, I'd love to hear what Brad and Kyle have to say about Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans. Season 2 has really hit its stride and even though I know this won't happen, I really want a third season in 2017.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
FMA:B mention on frametrap makes me want to rewatch, one of the greats of all time.
Also an anime with great, great animation(Something that deserves mention because shows like One Piece, animation wise are painful and I looooooove that story so much but that series does not get the budget/care or whatever it is it deserves).

Anyone knows when the TLG spoiler talk begins? I want to avoid that part just for now.

Right at the end check the time stamps in the youtube description.

Anyone knows when the TLG spoiler talk begins? I want to avoid that part just for now.

It's at the end of podcast and they specifically say when the TLG/spoiler talk starts.

Also put me on the heretic camp that likes the original FMA better than FMAB. Brotherhood is great but I love the ''vibe'' of the original. More darker and weird.

styl3s

This new anime show sounds amazing but it really, really bums me out it's just monthly and not every other week. I would gladly bump up my patreon pledge if we could get at least 2 a month and have them be Frame Trap length. Like at least 2 hours (at least for massive shows like a Once Piece).

Either way i am super pumped for some anime talk.

Anime only show? By Ben and Brad?? With guests??? Weekly???? And Kyle is a big HxH fan?????
HOLY SHIT I'M UPPING MY SUBSCRIPTION BY 100$!

Will you accept suggestions about topics and/or new shows to watch?
Sadly it's just 1 a month. If we got 4 i would immediately slap another $50 to my pledge that would be mind-blowingly awesome.

FMA:B mention on frametrap makes me want to rewatch, one of the greats of all time.
Also an anime with great, great animation(Something that deserves mention because shows like One Piece, animation wise are painful and I looooooove that story so much but that series does not get the budget/care or whatever it is it deserves).

Right at the end check the time stamps in the youtube description.

It's at the end of podcast and they specifically say when the TLG/spoiler talk starts.

Also put me on the heretic camp that likes the original FMA better than FMAB. Brotherhood is great but I love the ''vibe'' of the original. More darker and weird.

Thanks!

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
This new anime show sounds amazing but it really, really bums me out it's just monthly and not every other week. I would gladly bump up my patreon pledge if we could get at least 2 a month and have them be Frame Trap length. Like at least 2 hours (at least for massive shows like a Once Piece).

I think rather than upping your pledge you need to invest in hyperbolic time space technology :p.

I'd imagine they would burn out of anime to talk about real quick. The impression I get is that they are pretty casual anime watchers in the end. I'm a VERY casual watcher myself and I don't think they have ever mentioned an anime I ain't familiar with.

I wonder if Brad has seen Vampire Hunter D:Bloodlust. I mean, he must have, right?

styl3s

I'd imagine they would burn out of anime to talk about real quick. The impression I get is that they are pretty casual anime watchers in the end. I'm a VERY casual watcher myself and I don't think they have ever mentioned an anime I ain't familiar with.

I wonder if Brad has seen Vampire Hunter D:Bloodlust. I mean, he must have, right?
I don't think they would burn out by doing 2 podcast a month.

1 general anime talk podcast and 1 specific anime podcast a month. That way they can have these conversations without derailing into other anime talk and we can hear what their thoughts are on currently airing stuff, news etc.

Ultimadrago

Hearing of Ben's excitement about Cold Steel makes me feel soooo sad that he didn't play Trails in the Sky First and Second Chapter beforehand.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Hearing of Ben's excitement about Cold Steel makes me feel soooo sad that he didn't play Trails in the Sky First and Second Chapter beforehand.

I think it's fine though in a way. He's going to have an interesting perspective when he goes back to it at some point.

Trails in the sky small spoiler, nobody read that has not played those games
Imagine the surprise when he learns that he can have Olivier the true king in his party. :D

It generally seems to work that way from what I've seen. I've finally got my hands on Zero and Ao so going to be interesting to see how going into Cold Steel first colors my experience with that saga as well.

I prefer reading manga to watching anime at this point since it's just easier for me to consume quickly. The way the show is (tentatively) structured right now is we'll talk about a series in all of its different forms. So Berserk, for instance, we'll discuss the manga, the 97 anime, the movies, the 2016 anime, potentially the games, etc. It will be a broad look and then we'll dive into critical discussion/appreciation for the story as a whole. I hope that gives a clearer understanding. Keep in mind that this is still a work in progress so things could change.
v7c1kEZ.gif

Got some recommendations if you need them! Only the best of course...

I'm surprised that Ben hasn't dipped into Ys. They are legit games and not just in a niche JRPG way. Ys Seven and Memories of Celceta are easily in my top 10 PSP/Vita games respectively.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
That moment when you wake up early to refresh gaf for possible news on Cold Steel III from an investors calling and a thread pops up about a new JRPG headed by the Persona director Hashino and with Soejima as the lead artist.
Life is good!!!!.... but maybe also sad in some ways depending on the perspective xD.

That moment when you wake up early to refresh gaf for possible news on Cold Steel III from an investors calling and a thread pops up about a new JRPG headed by the Persona director Hashino and with Soejima as the lead artist.
Life is good!!!!.... but maybe also sad in some ways depending on the perspective xD.
That news is all good news to me.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
That news is all good news to me.

So much to look forward to as a JRPG fan, DQXI, whatever this news is, 3rd, etc etc etc etc etc.... It's so funny because I still remember the early to midlife PS3 times vividly where titles like Ni no Kuni where like shining beacons of light.
Might be unfair to say though cause at that point I didn't own any handhelds nor could read a whole lot of Kanji.

Wouldn't it get more visibility as a separate video on the channel?

The conversation itself? Not really. It's highlighted as the main topic of the episode. Now maybe you could make the argument that splitting the episode would result in more views overall, but that could be said for any of the topics. Maybe that's a strategy to consider, but I honestly don't know whether that would bring in enough new viewers to make sense. Employing tricks to get more overall numbers from the same viewers really doesn't do us much good.

You should be ashamed of your words and deeds!

Seriously though, the second half of the original FMA series went completely off the rails and made no sense. Brotherhood is the GOAT.

I'm watching Frame Trap right now and I don't get Kyle's question of whether Pokemon can be GOTY. I guess I just approach GOTY different than him but I don't really think the silly/goofy stuff matters so long as you enjoyed it and if you enjoyed it the most out of all the games this year, then its obviously your GOTY.

Personally, SuMo isn't my GOTY but it is near the top (number five to be specific, after TLG, UC4, Witness and DQ Builders) and if it'd been released in a weaker year, like 2014, it probably would've taken the top spot. Best game in the entire Pokemon series.

Just finished the non-spoiler part of Frame Trap

In regards to 1CCs/1 quarter clears, the only game I've been able to do it in is SEGA's Thunder Blade (3DS Classic version). I've tried the actual ride-on machine and that shit is impenetrable lol, having to swing the entire machine to turn. I adore those 3D Classics (M2 is a god tier port studio) but aside from like point to point games like Super Hang-On and Outrun it's the only one I've been able to completely clear.

In recent years I've gotten way into bullet hells/shmups and while I still don't think I'm very good at them I can at least sense a decent amount of growth and I've stopped credit feeding to try and just see how far I can push myself without continuing

I've been really messing with Caladrius Blaze on PS4 for some time trying to 1CC easy mode, and now the M2 revision of Battle Garegga is out so RIP me

wapplew

December have been a great month for Japanese games news!
TLG worth the wait, DQ11 opening, PSX, Atlus new JRPG, Falcon news, Yakuza 6 and Kiwami, so good.

December have been a great month for Japanese games news!
TLG worth the wait, DQ11 opening, PSX, Atlus new JRPG, Falcon news, Yakuza 6 and Kiwami, so good.

Yeah, I was just thinking of how all the Japanese publishers seem to be coming out with news this month. Ni no Kuni 2 trailer, Yakuza Kiwami/6 localisation, Valkyria: Azure Revolution localisation, DQXI, open world Dynasty Warriors 9 and today we got news of a new IP from Atlus and Trails of Cold Steel 3. It's been awesome.

And next month we get the Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary, which will hopefully bring some good stuff with it (though I wish that FF Collection rumour would die off already, way too many people are getting their hopes up over a rumour from an unreliable source).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom