• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.
The conversation itself? Not really. It's highlighted as the main topic of the episode. Now maybe you could make the argument that splitting the episode would result in more views overall, but that could be said for any of the topics. Maybe that's a strategy to consider, but I honestly don't know whether that would bring in enough new viewers to make sense. Employing tricks to get more overall numbers from the same viewers really doesn't do us much good.

I appreciate the reply, thank you. I'm just throwing random ideas in the room, as always. As someone who has no idea about managing a Youtube channel, I was thinking that it would be convenient for regular users on your channel and new users could find it, as it would pop up as a search result, when looking for TLG discussions/videos. Right now the title of the video doesn't really indicate a whole big spoilercast within the episode. It could also open up the possibility for a separate spoilercast playlist on the channel.

Anyway, I trust you know it better than I do. I just wanted to give some user perspective from a more casual watcher and didn't want it to come over backseat managing.

OK.

Anime.

Anime is something that I've always kind of had an eye out for but have never really given a proper go. The main reason being that there seems to be an awful lot of it. Just an insane amount of episodes for one series.

With the introduction of this new show it seems like a good a time as any to try a delve in.

Where should I begin?

I've seen:

Berserk (those 3 films that Huber recommended a while back on Huber Hype) - is there a series of Berserk? Maybe I should start there?

One Punch Man

Attack on Titan

Nichijou

I absolutely ADORE Nichijou. So funny. I'd like more of that kind of thing if anyone has any ideas.

Anime podcast hype!

I hope they do an episode discussing some of the more niche works that probably don't warrant a full episode to themselves. The manga's Blade of the Immortal and Vagabond come to mind, they are some of the best imo. Dat watercolour artwork!

OK.

Anime.

Anime is something that I've always kind of had an eye out for but have never really given a proper go. The main reason being that there seems to be an awful lot of it. Just an insane amount of episodes for one series.

With the introduction of this new show it seems like a good a time as any to try a delve in.

Where should I begin?

I've seen:

Berserk (those 3 films that Huber recommended a while back on Huber Hype) - is there a series of Berserk? Maybe I should start there?

One Punch Man

Attack on Titan

Nichijou

I absolutely ADORE Nichijou. So funny. I'd like more of that kind of thing if anyone has any ideas.

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. As Ben only just found out, it's an incredible series.

I'm also a big fan of Last Exile (though not so much its follow up). Its not a super popular series and it doesn't spend any time explaining the world at all but I LOVED the art style and characters.

I finally finished Frame Trap. Really, really great episode, especially the TLG discussion.

I found myself in a similar situation as Kyle as far as the GOTY goes. UC4 was my GOTY because it's a fantastic, polished game, with incredible performances and a really well written story. But then I played TLG and it's more ambitious and beautifully crafted than any game I've played in a long time.

Hasney

Like Brad, I also 1 quarter cleared (or 1 50p cleared) Street Fighter 2
Rainbow Edition though, so it was basically cheating as I fired fireballs with Blanka

arkon

Looking at other popular Patreon games people.... don't fall into the trap of over-promising and spreading thin.

I wasn't thinking a weekly series for it but true it may be spreading them way too thin.

------

OK.

Anime.

Where should I begin?

I've seen:

One Punch Man

Attack on Titan

Nichijou

Anime is just like other media when it comes to episode counts. There are some that are in the 100s of episodes but then you also have loads that are 12-26 episodes and done. So you can get through some shows in one afternoon.

Recommendations wise I think you'd like Azumanga Daioh.

I am in love with Brandon and Kyle's Sun and Moon series. Something about watching people go through a Pokemon game and talk about the things they loved about it is so cool.

Kneefoil

OK.

Anime.

Where should I begin?

I've seen:

One Punch Man

Attack on Titan

Nichijou

A few must see anime, or at least anime that I think everyone should give a shot at some point are Cowboy Bebop, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and Trigun.

I also always have to recommend Baccano! and Durarara!! to everyone who hasn't seen them yet. Baccano! can be kind of confusing at first due to the non-linear storytelling, but if you stick with it for a few episodes, it gets really good.

Berserk had an anime in the '90s which is really damn good, but it tells pretty much the same story as the movies to my understanding (I've never seen the movies), and it never got a proper ending. It's definitely worth watching though. There is also an anime based on Berserk that aired this year but it's not great.

For comedies, I would recommend you watch Cromartie High School. It's also a wacky high school comedy, although it's wacky in a different way than Nichijou. I probably like Nichijou a bit more, but when it comes to anime comedies, these two are my absolute favourites.

Some other good comedies are:
The first english dub of Ghost Stories (show wasn't even a comedy, originally)
Azumanga Daioh
School Rumble (first season, anyway)
Ouran High School Host Club
Daily Lives of High School Boys

Karu

Another vote for Brotherhood. Really liked it.

My choice for 1st Quarter game for 2017 would have been Gravity Rush 2. Super excited. Day One, I will be there. The Remastered version was incredible.

Pokemon Sun - I have no idea what Kyle was on about with his weird "Is this Game of the Year-material?"question, but whatever. I am on the tailend of the third island and still enraptured by its world. I think the closed off island-design really lends itself to the game. In terms of scope I kinda disagree and agree with Jones at the same time. The world is kinda small in scope, yes, but the detailled design of each island makes it feel much bigger in the end and while linear, also invites you to explore. If GameFreak is able to pull off an extra 20% or so of optional stuff, it could be truly incredible (The Rockruff-part is of course an excellent example of how to do it).

Dragon Quest VII - I started the series with VII and while I haven't finished it by any means, I still want to mention that I don't think it is a bad place to start opposed to what the panel said. While the constant running from A to B to A to B can be annpying the world and its characters drew me in to such a degree that I didn't mind, especially since the distances are not really that long. Also: Maribel is the best character ever, development or not, so yeah. Don't know if I want to play VIII yet, since I haven't finished VII yet, want to continue Pokemon and the first quarter of 2017 is packed anyway with other great titles, so we will see.

Oh, and I also watched the TLG spoiler discussion as a means to maybe being convinced that I should play it, but nah, still nothing. Will buy if 20€ or so.

Anything else? Ah yeah...

Buy Gravity Rush 2, guys! =)

Hasney

Pokemon Sun - I have no idea what Kyle was on about with his weird "Is this Game of the Year-material?"question, but whatever. I am on the tailend of the third island and still enraptured by its world. I think the closed off island-design really lends itself to the game. In terms of scope I kinda disagree and agree with Jones at the same time. The world is kinda small in scope, yes, but the detailled design of each island makes it feel much bigger in the end and while linear, also invites you to explore. If GameFreak is able to pull off an extra 20% or so of optional stuff, it could be truly incredible (The Rockruff-part is of course an excellent example of how to do it).

He means he's too close to it to try and objectively judge it while playing and having fun, because he loves the series, but when you take a step back and look at it and all the baggage it is still carrying from all the legacy stuff, is it really one of the best games of the year? You can only really get that with outside perspective. Like I won't be able to look at Yakuza 0 with any objectivity, I will adore it jank and all because it's one of my favorite series ever.

Also, halp guys: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1326694

Rookie Jones strikes again! Didn't Kyle tell him that Butterfree sucks while he was playing Red? I think I remember him eventually removing it from his party but yet here he is, with another freaking Butterfree. If you're going to have a bug Pokemon, at least get a Cutiefly in there, that thing is a beast.

He needs a fighting type Pokemon too, a Crabrawler or Passimian (sp?) would be good choices.

sora87

I'm hoping for a late 80s/early 90s gore special on the anime podcast. M.D Geist, Wicked City, Cyber City Oedo 808, Genocyber, Violence Jack... maybe even some Urotsukidoji, one of the first anime I ever seen on channel 4 in the uk one night :eek:

Maligna

Banned
I'm hoping for a late 80s/early 90s gore special on the anime podcast. M.D Geist, Wicked City, Cyber City Oedo 808, Genocyber, Violence Jack... maybe even some Urotsukidoji, one of the first anime I ever seen on channel 4 in the uk one night :eek:

AD Police and Devilman are good too. But yeah those would be great.

Karu

He means he's too close to it to try and objectively judge it while playing and having fun, because he loves the series, but when you take a step back and look at it and all the baggage it is still carrying from all the legacy stuff, is it really one of the best games of the year? You can only really get that with outside perspective. Like I won't be able to look at Yakuza 0 with any objectivity, I will adore it jank and all because it's one of my favorite series ever.

Also, halp guys: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1326694
Yeah, I still think he was rambling, haha. Bring in all those objectivity arguments and you loose me either way. Especially since Kyle of all people doesn't hesitate to throw a fit over the most miniscule things.*

* I don't care for characters and "personas" :p

Edit: But I get what you are saying/where he was coming from. So thanks.

Maligna

Banned
Loved the episode, but again I think Jones will never win until he knows ALL the pokemon type advantages by heart. I think Kyle should be coaching him a bit. "Do you know why that was super effective?" "Maybe you should use _____ against my guy here." etc.

Also, does Brandon know that his Growlithe has double advantage versus the Sandslash? Fire is effective against both Ice AND Steel (fire melts both).

Another thing is he should be aware of is attack power. He was confused by why his super effective mud slap barely hurt, well it was because it has an attack power of like 20. It's really just a better sand attack because it lowers accuracy and does a little damage at the same time.

On top of that there's the difference between physical attacks and special attacks. His Brionne's aqua jet move didn't hurt Golem as much as it could have because it was a physical attack and Golem's defense is high. If he had done bubblebeam, which is a special attack it may have knocked Golem out.

Anyways, all of this is to say that I think Kyle should be coaching him on these intricacies more at least until their final few battles where Brandon should be completely on his own.

Somnia

Speaking of Anime, I've recently been trying to get into it. I know sub's are the way to go, but is there anywhere that has full seasons that are dubbed? At work I can watch/listen, but watching and reading sub's is impossible.

Also can anyone add an EZA icon to my Avatar? Maybe on the bottom left or top right?

Pokemon's Sun/Moon is one of the poorer entries in the series so it definitely wouldn't be GOTY material for me but even if it was an excellent Pokémon game I doubt I would find it worthy.

GOTY material games usually excell at something no other game does, and the Pokémon formula, while great, will never feel exciting and new enough to come close.

wiibomb

Pokemon's Sun/Moon is one of the poorer entries in the series so it definitely wouldn't be GOTY material for me but even if it was an excellent Pokémon game I doubt I would find it worthy.

GOTY material games usually excell at something no other game does, and the Pokémon formula, while great, will never feel exciting and new enough to come close.

oh my goodness.... ok, everyone can have an opinion

just some are so wrong

WarRock

Almost 3h of Frame Trap, let's see if I can listen everything today!

I prefer reading manga to watching anime at this point since it's just easier for me to consume quickly. The way the show is (tentatively) structured right now is we'll talk about a series in all of its different forms. So Berserk, for instance, we'll discuss the manga, the 97 anime, the movies, the 2016 anime, potentially the games, etc. It will be a broad look and then we'll dive into critical discussion/appreciation for the story as a whole. I hope that gives a clearer understanding. Keep in mind that this is still a work in progress so things could change.
The superior choice. Read Chiyo-chan no Tsuugakuro. It's about a japanese girl who loves western games and characters, playing Payday 2 until it's morning =P

Hope this new show means a FLCL episode when the sequel comes out.

I'm still pissed at Geist. People promised me tons of gore and action, and there isn't a satisfying amount of either and the pacing is soooooo bad. Best song, though.

Axass

I'd love to hear Ben and Brad's thoughts on HunterxHunter. It became my favourite shonen after watching the 2011 show about a year ago. Holy crap are the characters great and Hisoka is a awesome villain.

Hunter x Hunter is the GOAT shonen battle anime, it blows everything else to kingdom come. The author (Togashi) has ability to make everything so clever and intriguing, while treating themes that are uncommon for a battle shonen; the manga at times comes off as too verbose due to that, but when in anime form, everything becomes much more dynamic. Thankfully the animation's also great to good for pretty much the whole series.

Only problem is that, even though the anime stops at a good point, which could pass for a decent ending, the manga is still going and the author takes so many breaks I fear it'll never be properly concluded.

Anime podcast hype!

I hope they do an episode discussing some of the more niche works that probably don't warrant a full episode to themselves. The manga's Blade of the Immortal and Vagabond come to mind, they are some of the best imo. Dat watercolour artwork!

BotI is very good, I recommend it to anyone not minding gore and wishing to learn more about ancient Japan. Vagabond is similar, but more grounded and with a clearer artstyle; it starts great, but slowly halts to crawl as far as pacing goes: not as good IMO, but still top notch series.

oh my goodness.... ok, everyone can have an opinion

just some are so wrong
Listening to Kyle Moon is reminding me of exactly why, rattling down all of the Pokemon he caught, almost all of them are old, and the only interesting catches are Mudbray & Salandit. Pokemon games are at it's worst when the amount of new mons are tiny.

Wicked City and Violence Jack are so good!

I'll have to check out the others

Obviously the guys are all fans of Berserk but some of the stuff in those shows might be a little much for a jolly Youtube chat, lol

WarRock

caught in the frametrap is so good :wow: :wow:

Btw, I'm in the same situation with Ys Oath in Felghana. I have a save right before the last boss. Got stuck into his second form and ended up getting distracted with other stuff after some days trying... and never came back to it. Not sure if I can just jump back into it, that fight is so damn INTENSE.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Just caught the newest Frametrap.

Bloodworth doing the Tiger Knee was absolutely hilarious.

They need to gif it or turn it into an icon/avatar.

<3 Bloodworth.

Mista Koo

Jigglypuff now has a starring role in BSKM <3

I like the idea of an anime podcast, especially since I've recently got back into anime. Monthly is also perfect so it doesn't become an episode by episode discussion. I would like it if it had a small (5-10 mins?) news/headlines segment since I don't follow anime news. Just big headlines like Naruto's Hollywood live action adaptation or Boruto's anime. Heck even if it's just a quick preview for upcoming anime each season (so once every 4th episode?).
As for anime recommendations, a good thing I've done recently is looking at GAF's anime of the year threads for the past few years. You discover great things you never heard of and watch them with zero expectations. Also most anime is short, just not the biggest names.

Loved the episode, but again I think Jones will never win until he knows ALL the pokemon type advantages by heart. I think Kyle should be coaching him a bit. "Do you know why that was super effective?" "Maybe you should use _____ against my guy here." etc.
As a longtime Pokemon fan who never learned the type advantages I suggested before that he keeps a type chart handy. Although I guess it might be an annoying way to play the game even if that's what I always did. At least this time the game tries to teach them to you. I wish that it told you before switching to a Pokemon that it's weak to your opponent's type.
I love when he says "I don't have anything strong against flying" when the top screen we are looking at is telling us that Ribombee/Ear is Bug/Fairy :p

Ben wants to do a One Piece podcast but hates Crabrawler

What is this nonsense
Haven't watched Frametrap yet but yeah, Crabrawler is straight outta One Piece.

Kneefoil

I like Brotherhood better than the first anime adaptation, but there are some things FMA '03 did better, and it has some cool original ideas. The pacing at the beginning of Brotherhood is absolutely horrendous, for example, and I appreciate that the 2003 anime isn't as action focused as Brotherhood. I know, action kind of comes with the territory when we're talking about shounen, and the action in Brotherhood was really good, but FMA '03 proved the series could be interesting with less of it, and I kind of missed that while watching the never adaptation.

Brotherhood also has the better ending, but thanks to the 2003 version's ending (which I originally kind of disliked), we got Conqueror of Shamballa, which is my favourite piece of Full Metal Alchemist related media. It was really nice seeing all the characters in a new way.

Ray Down

Banned
I like Brotherhood better than the first anime adaptation, but there are some things FMA '03 did better, and it has some cool original ideas. The pacing at the beginning of Brotherhood is absolutely horrendous, for example, and I appreciate that the 2003 anime isn't as action focused as Brotherhood. I know, action kind of comes with the territory when we're talking about shounen, and the action in Brotherhood was really good, but FMA '03 proved the series could be interesting with less of it, and I kind of missed that while watching the never adaptation.

Brotherhood also has the better ending, but thanks to the 2003 version's ending (which I originally kind of disliked), we got Conqueror of Shamballa, which is my favourite piece of Full Metal Alchemist related media. It was really nice seeing all the characters in a new way.

That's like the worse thing in the franchise by a long shot.

WarRock

Has Kyle played Battle Network 6? You actually fix your own toilet with the power of internet-robot-megaman. And the bathroom houses... something interesting, later.

Auctopus

Very interesting that sort of social behaviour had such an effect on Ben. Where I'm from in the south of England (albeit in quite a tourist heavy area), that sort of behaviour is quite normal when you see someone struggling.

In saying that, comparing Tokyo and Los Angeles to the English countryside is probably quite flawed but if it had such a positive effect on Ben then that's what's most important. After living in London for a few years, I can definitely relate to that sort of sedated aggression that's born from people feeling more isolated within major cities.

Great episode, Ben!

Gigarator

Yep. Crabrawler sucks.

rpREmaF.gif

Joqu

I watched the two back to back and I like the original Fullmetal Alchemist a lot too. When the stories diverge the Brotherhood / manga story is probably the superior one, but I really thought the way the original handled the shared stuff was superior. The emotional stuff just plays better IMO. I found the art and soundtrack to be better too, so basically, if the original had been able to stick to the manga story later on I think it would've been superior to Brotherhood to me for sure, though the latter would've never been a thing then of course.

Anyway, it's interesting to have those different final acts, especially with the original's movie, which is basically a required watch. They can coexist! I really love them both, people should watch both.

Hope you give it a watch later on, Ben. Like you said, you're going to be depressed when you're done with Brotherhood. The 2003 series will satisfy that craving man.

And then you'll be done with both and things'll never be the same again. ;__;

(Well ok, the brotherhood OVAs are worth a watch too.

...and that brotherhood movie. Sacred Star of Milos I think it's called? I enjoyed it, but it's nothing amazing. Just a fun side thing.)

The Anime pandora's box has been opened lol. The fan recommendations are coming in FAST. Haven't seen Usagi Drop recommended. Super short and really jolly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom