• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blair was great! He really had some good points and interesting opinions the few times be appeared on camera.
He always seemed like he wanted to be somewhere else I think, I wasn't too surprised when he didn't show up for EZA

Three things I miss about GT Time are Elyse, Ian in the booth, and the icebreaker questions.

wiibomb

Blair was great! He really had some good points and interesting opinions the few times be appeared on camera.

seriously. I might be one of the few to really miss him, I think not much much people actually gave thought to what he said, but he did bring very interesting points of view

Hasney

Nah, I loved Blair. Remember the old GT thread where a bunch of people didn't like what he said on GT Time a few rimes, but I always dug him.

He always seemed like he wanted to be somewhere else I think, I wasn't too surprised when he didn't show up for EZA

That's a bit unfair, but I don't expect anyone from outside GT to realize everything he went through. He was asked to go above and beyond and have far more patience with technical issues than anyone can imagine for years on end. It honestly must have taken a lot of strength for him to have stuck with GT to the end. He wouldn't have had to deal with much of that at Easy Allies, but he had a lot of potential life changes to consider.

Nah, I loved Blair. Remember the old GT thread where a bunch of people didn't like what he said on GT Time a few rimes, but I always dug him.
I liked when he defended the hitman episodic decision saying if they played into the advantages of that it could be great. Kyle and the panel were all against him. Haha

Axass

Did he say anything controversial? I only remember him from the Dragon Quest XI stream and little else.

Hasney

That's a bit unfair, but I don't expect anyone from outside GT to realize everything he went through. He was asked to go above and beyond and have far more patience with technical issues than anyone can imagine for years on end. It honestly must have taken a lot of strength for him to have stuck with GT to the end. He wouldn't have had to deal with much of that at Easy Allies, but he had a lot of potential life changes to consider.

Yeah, I remember some things being mentioned offhand on streams about archiving and uploading videos and issues with that and the like. Dude seemed to be a workhorse to get things done.

Did he say anything controversial? I only remember him from the Dragon Quest XI stream and little else.

Not really, just things a bit more against the grain. The Hitman example above is a good one because everyone did seem against him on it both on the panel and the forum.

Oh, I don't blame him at all! Didn't he say that he one day wanted to leave the games industry too?

Piichan

Banned
So the latest Tales from Japan episode, Ben talking about how nice Japanese people are is great and all, but I couldn't help but think he should've prepared his trip a little better lol.
Don't mean this in a mean way!

Speaking of Anime, I've recently been trying to get into it. I know sub's are the way to go, but is there anywhere that has full seasons that are dubbed? At work I can watch/listen, but watching and reading sub's is impossible.

I don't think I saw anyone else answer this, but you should check out Funimation's streaming service. It's like Crunchy Roll but with a focus on dubs. They actually signed a deal with CR recently to effectively combine much of their streaming libraries, too. Still the same $7 a month and there are apps for the consoles in addition to streaming from the website.

Naythan

Blair was a good counterweight to people like Huber (he was a little bit more on the critical side more often than not). He provided a nice balance and seemed like a good dude.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Of because of one man, respect.
I think one of the most insane things is that Oda has managed the level of quality he did through weekly publication which is known to have rather gruesome schedules, although OP is not without problems, it's just impressive that it has remained this coherent(You especially notice when you read the kind of mistakes that are submitted to the SBS which mostly things like scar placements).
Like nowadays when he takes a break every 3 weeks no matter how bad the cliffhanger I just think to myself you deserve it dude. Rest well.

Crabrawler is a One Piece character
That goes through a similarly terrible design change

Lies, he emerged a beautiful butterfly full of child inspiring wonder.
Franky timeskip spoiler
Like nipple lights.

Karu

I think I just lost my first Pokemon battle in 20 years all the way back to the original, lol. Granted, i had only 4 Pokemon in my team and have options on EXP Share Off and "Set", but still...feels weird. Weirdly good, haha.

LycanXIII

The full #WhyIGame collection:

dcb5ad85f9.jpg

Huber's is a pretty good one.

Sophie as a pup is glorious.

The way the show is (tentatively) structured right now is we'll talk about a series in all of its different forms. So Berserk, for instance, we'll discuss the manga, the 97 anime, the movies, the 2016 anime, potentially the games, etc. It will be a broad look and then we'll dive into critical discussion/appreciation for the story as a whole. I hope that gives a clearer understanding. Keep in mind that this is still a work in progress so things could change.

Nice!

So much to look forward to as a JRPG fan, DQXI, whatever this news is, 3rd, etc etc etc etc etc.... It's so funny because I still remember the early to midlife PS3 times vividly where titles like Ni no Kuni where like shining beacons of light.
Might be unfair to say though cause at that point I didn't own any handhelds nor could read a whole lot of Kanji.

Right? :) It's great. I remember saying this some time last year too as the JRPG announcements started ramping up and then this year we got even more big ones announced/shown off too. :)

Speaking of Anime, I've recently been trying to get into it. I know sub's are the way to go, but is there anywhere that has full seasons that are dubbed? At work I can watch/listen, but watching and reading sub's is impossible.

Also can anyone add an EZA icon to my Avatar? Maybe on the bottom left or top right?

I don't think I saw anyone else answer this, but you should check out Funimation's streaming service. It's like Crunchy Roll but with a focus on dubs. They actually signed a deal with CR recently to effectively combine much of their streaming libraries, too. Still the same $7 a month and there are apps for the consoles in addition to streaming from the website.

Pretty much what Brad Grenz said, Funimation has the biggest selection of dubs (just like CR with subs) so they are a good choice if you want to stream a lot of full shows dubbed, and thanks to that CR deal they will also now be able to choose from the shows CR picks up too for possible dubbing candidates. Plus if you're interested in new stuff, in addition to all the shows they've already released, ever since Space Dandy for Toonami, they now simuldub a lot of shows each season so you even get dubs for a good amount of the new shows that are currently airing only a few weeks behind.

Personally I enjoy anime both subbed and dubbed and dubs have generally gotten damn good unlike in the old days.
Hope that helps.

Yeah, I liked that he often offered a different perspective, even if I sometimes disagreed with him. Loved how he went to bat for Hitman at the time, I couldn't understand the dislike for that game from most of the GT crew, I was really looking forward to a return to proper Hitman open sandbox gameplay regardless of what form it appeared in.

I'm guessing he was stuck with the job of maintaining the GT website? Yeah, I could understand why that would be a hard job.

Blair was definitely a necessary counterweight when he was on. He always had an interesting — and different — perspective. It's a shame he couldn't do EA but totally understandable. I find Huber's enthusiasm and absence of critique a little annoying at times — especially when there isn't anyone to offer a different perspective.

I just want to add that sometimes there's an absence of flow with the podcasts because of the rotating guests. But that's par for the course considering the structure EA.

Damiani putting in so much stream time is awesome and such a diversity of games.

He's streaming every day! Even Christmas I think. It's really cool and I appreciate him for doing it. How old is Damiani by the way? I always thought he was in his 20s but the stretch goal on Patreon mentioned 30 years of gaming experience and I was taken aback.

Mista Koo

Ben praising natural localization that isn't literal is weird. An earlier episode featuring Huber had localization talk that made me unnecessarily agitated as a bilingual, it made me drop the show as a podcast and started watching it exclusively using timestamps. Interestingly enough, this is the first time since then that I haven't used the timestamps and watched the whole thing up to the spoilers part.

I've heard a lot of praise for Brotherhood but I wasn't able to watch it. I was watching it during its original Japanese run and defending it over the original series. Until I reached an emotional scene featuring my favorite character that wasn't done remotely as well and I was done. Everytime I hear it mentioned I want to go back and watch it but it's a bit of a slog to try and watch it from the start knowing that I have to watch ~20 episodes of stuff I've already watched before in both adaptations but don't quite remember well enough to just skip it altogether.

How old is Damiani by the way? I always thought he was in his 20s but the stretch goal on Patreon mentioned 30 years of gaming experience and I was taken aback.
I thought only Ben was in his 20s. But given that all of the allies were born in the 80s, they're all 27-36.

Hasney

Ben praising natural localization that isn't literal is weird. An earlier episode featuring Huber had localization talk that made me unnecessarily agitated as a bilingual, it made me drop the show as a podcast and started watching it exclusively using timestamps. Interestingly enough, this is the first time since then that I haven't used the timestamps and watched the whole thing up to the spoilers part.

It's not weird to me. They make the best localisations when done right. Hell, I think Phoenix Wright is better for all it's weird localisation.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Ben praising natural localization that isn't literal is weird.
How so? Literal translation in most cases is usually pretty terrible(for delivering something that read well, it's great if you're learning yourself).
Great translations end up being very smart rewrites wherever necessary in a lot of cases.

Mista Koo

It's not weird to me. They make the best localisations when done right. Hell, I think Phoenix Wright is better for all it's weird localisation.
How so? Literal translation in most cases is usually pretty terrible(for delivering something that read well, it's great if you're learning yourself).
Great translations end up being very smart rewrites wherever necessary in a lot of cases.
It's weird to hear him say that, because the other episode I speak of left an impression that he and Huber wanted everything to be as literal as possible with minimal changes. I'm not arguing which is better.

UrbanRats

Finally caught up with TTE.
What a goddamn cliffhanger...

I want Moof to die by Pomper's hand, the dramatic value of that is too high to pass.

It's weird to hear him say that, because the other episode I speak of left an impression that he and Huber wanted everything to be as literal as possible with minimal changes. I'm not arguing which is better.

It's surprising that you got that impression. Good localization, in my opinion, usually includes thoughtful changes to make conversations more natural.

Budi

Here's one more who misses Matt Blair, always interesting to listen! And a funny guy too. I hope he is doing great nowadays.

sora87

Here's one more who misses Matt Blair, always interesting to listen! And a funny guy too. I hope he is doing great nowadays.

Would be cool if they got him back for a special guest appearance on the podcast or group stream one night.

Budi

Would be cool if they got him back for a special guest appearance on the podcast or group stream one night.

Hell yeah it would, actually I would like to see even more of the old GT crew. Like they had Ryan Stevens as GT Live guest. Justin Speer, what are you up to?

Finally caught up with TTE.
What a goddamn cliffhanger...

I want Moof to die by Pomper's hand, the dramatic value of that is too high to pass.

Those last 2-3 turns I was yelling at the radio like "Pomper Noooo!!!!"
First you don't punch the mind flare's hands holding onto the portal then the mind flare is prone and you have advantage, and you attack Carl.....twice!?

It is all worth it in the end though. It is hilarious being able to hear the disbelief in Ben. The fact this whole town thing could have been avoided entirely is funny to me.

Yo, that TTE shadowdrop

Perfect timing!

I think one of the most insane things is that Oda has managed the level of quality he did through weekly publication which is known to have rather gruesome schedules, although OP is not without problems, it's just impressive that it has remained this coherent(You especially notice when you read the kind of mistakes that are submitted to the SBS which mostly things like scar placements).
Like nowadays when he takes a break every 3 weeks no matter how bad the cliffhanger I just think to myself you deserve it dude. Rest well.

Lies, he emerged a beautiful butterfly full of child inspiring wonder.
Franky timeskip spoiler
Like nipple lights.
Yeah, I actually started really liking him around Punk Hazard. I think the shaved head was throwing me off.

Somnia

Pretty much what Brad Grenz said, Funimation has the biggest selection of dubs (just like CR with subs) so they are a good choice if you want to stream a lot of full shows dubbed, and thanks to that CR deal they will also now be able to choose from the shows CR picks up too for possible dubbing candidates. Plus if you're interested in new stuff, in addition to all the shows they've already released, ever since Space Dandy for Toonami, they now simuldub a lot of shows each season so you even get dubs for a good amount of the new shows that are currently airing only a few weeks behind.

Personally I enjoy anime both subbed and dubbed and dubs have generally gotten damn good unlike in the old days.
Hope that helps.

Thanks for the help! I'll take a look at this later today at work :)

I haven't watched TTE yet, should I start with the first one?

If you don't mind being behind, I'd absolutely start with episode 1. Take them at your own pace - sure they come out weekly, but it doesn't mean you have to consume them that way. It's also available as a podcast, if you don't mind laughing out loud like a madman in public.

So now we have Therese, Pomper, Necator, Yogalla, a "maybe still alive" abandoned baby, a Mind Flair,
Zombie Moof
, two romantically involved teenagers, that villager woman who ran past Therese into the forest, Carl, those two "mummy wrapped golem thrall things" and "something with a bow and arrow" all lost in a spooky forest. Who's gonna run into who and when? Not to mentioned an entire village of dead bodies if the Mind Flair wants to re-heal with a brain smörgåsbord.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom