• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piichan

Banned
I'm cleaning my apartment tomorrow, and I will be listening to the EZA podcast while I do it. Just wanna say I'm thankful for these dudes making something that should be annoying shit, something to look forward to. Ell and arrrr.
EDIT: fuck,did not think this would get a new page (>_<)

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I'm cleaning my apartment tomorrow, and I will be listening to the EZA podcast while I do it. Just wanna say I'm thankful for these dudes making something that should be annoying shit, something to look forward to. Ell and arrrr.

lol, in other communities somebody would have reposted the very same post to have it on the next page instead of at the bottom of the last one.

Budi

lol, in other communities somebody would have reposted the very same post to have it on the next page instead of at the bottom of the last one.

I was wondering what is bad in having a post at top of the page? I'm certain I've seen other people curse it here too.

sora87

I was wondering what is bad in having a post at top of the page? I'm certain I've seen other people curse it here too.

I guess it's because it's what everyone's going to see first for the duration of this page? I wouldn't care myself lol.

Hasney

I always find it funny on the GOTY nomination threads and people giving a shit about reserving their spot. I always click go to first new post, so anyone who does that doesn't have their list read by me and I'm sure quite a few others no matter where it lies.

I always find it funny on the GOTY nomination threads and people giving a shit about reserving their spot. I always click go to first new post, so anyone who does that doesn't have their list read by me and I'm sure quite a few others no matter where it lies.
I thought that was banned lol, it's completely pointless and a waste of space.

Chuck

Still without luck

is that thread up?

Hmmm I'm torn on what to play next for my holiday break. I had planned FFXV and then dishonored 2 in the next two weeks. But I guess from all the trails talk by EZA I now have this desire to finally work off trails from the Sky games off my backlog. What to do, what to do.....

sora87

Tales from Japan really, really makes me jealous Ben.
I need to go there someday, I've been obsessed with that country for like 20 years now!

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Hmmm I'm torn on what to play next for my holiday break. I had planned FFXV and then dishonored 2 in the next two weeks. But I guess from all the trails talk by EZA I now have this desire to finally work off trails from the Sky games off my backlog. What to do, what to do.....

Unless you already have Trails in the Sky SC I'd recommend putting some time into FC and see if you like it enough to get SC as well given with the steam sale starting to day.
Assuming you play them on PC of course.

wiibomb

oh such a good podcast this week... I loved all the discussions.

and who the hell thinks the song was cringey??? it was awesome!

Started playing Mad Max solely for the aesthetics, but maaaan...

In one of the very early quests I am supposed to go to a fortress and destroy ten cannisters there to reduce the threat in the area, but it's such a slog. And why ten? Give me a bunch of dudes to beat up and then let me make one huge explosion in the end. Nah, gotta be ten. #fun.

Quest after that? Collect around 600 scrap to upgrade several parts of your car. How many do I have? 25. Got you, even more fun. #fun

I always like looking for the fun in these kind of games. I mentioned over and over again that I love Watch_Dogs unironically, but geez, this is just trash.Might just drive around with my cars for a few hours and delete the game after that. Not worth it.

I really like the level design of a lot of the outposts or whatever they're called, but yeah it's definitely one of those "solid 7s" nothing else that particularly stands out.

Mista Koo

It's not. A bunch of us use 100 posts per page.

Unless you already have Trails in the Sky SC I'd recommend putting some time into FC and see if you like it enough to get SC as well given with the steam sale starting to day.
Assuming you play them on PC of course.
I own both on pc. But stramlink seems to no longer work with those games and really not looking to sit at my computer. Think I'll fire up my psp version on ps tv

Edit: never mind I fixed it! (The confit defaulted to windowed mode)

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I own both on pc. But stramlink seems to no longer work with those games and really not looking to sit at my computer. Think I'll fire up my psp version on ps tv

I see in that case good luck :) Trails games are a commitment like Dark Souls just in a different way. Hope you make it over that hurdle and enjoy your time with those games.

I lose track of what I'm posting in what places but just in case I haven't said it here.
Back when I finished Trails in the Sky in 2011(I think it was 2011?) I went away with the feeling that it was the most solid B rank RPG. Super good all around but not remarkable in any way. 5 years later and 4 games into series I'm currently tackling my 5th game(Zero) I feel like I have to revise that assessment.

I don't feel like I'm necessarily wrong with that assessment judging just off of one game but the series just becomes insanely remarkable once you take the follow ups into consideration and you just have to respect how much Falcom committed to this vision they started 12 years ago and are still continuing.

It's a series that has stayed with me story wise/characters wise and I can't say that about a lot of other JRPGs despite enjoying some of them a tremendous amount.

I see in that case good luck :) Trails games are a commitment like Dark Souls just in a different way. Hope you make it over that hurdle and enjoy your time with those games.

I lose track of what I'm posting in what places but just in case I haven't said it here.
Back when I finished Trails in the Sky in 2011(I think it was 2011?) I went away with the feeling that it was the most solid B rank RPG. Super good all around but not remarkable in any way. 5 years later and 4 games into series I'm currently tackling my 5th game(Zero) I feel like I have to revise that assessment.

I don't feel like I'm necessarily wrong with that assessment judging just off of one game but the series just becomes insanely remarkable once you take the follow ups into consideration and you just have to respect how much Falcom committed to this vision they started 12 years ago and are still continuing.

It's a series that has stayed with me story wise/characters wise and I can't say that about a lot of other JRPGs despite enjoying some of them a tremendous amount.
Cool! And I got it working on steamlink again. Thank god

Yea I dabbled in it for a couple hours years ago but knowing the cliffhanger, SC localization uncertainty and other games I wandered away from it. But I remember really liking the characters and localization in the 3 hours or so I played.

It reminds me in some ways to my first JRPG that started my love of the genre: Lunar the silver star story on sega cd. Went from that to FF6 on SNES and then Chrono trigger on SNES and away I went!

Somnia

I feel like Mad Max was worth the $9 I paid for it, but I'm glad I did not pay $60. Don't think I'll ever finish it as I'm not a trophy/achievement hunter so maybe I'll go back one day when I'm bored.

I feel like Mad Max was worth the $9 I paid for it, but I'm glad I did not pay $60. Don't think I'll ever finish it as I'm not a trophy/achievement hunter so maybe I'll go back one day when I'm bored.
I bought it at launch and really enjoyed it, it's very much "one of those games" but the combat is good and it looks nice

Once I stopped to play something else I never had any interest in going back, ended up trading it in. It's addictive but nothing in particular to draw you over any other games

UrbanRats

I also enjoyed Mad Max, didn't pay full price for it tho.
Fighting in the car was just so much fun.

With less junk missions, and the nemesis system, it could've been a great game.

Attacking the convoys was thrilling, though I wish it had some climb mechanics, so you could jump on enemy trucks and replicate Fury Road.

I also enjoyed Mad Max, didn't pay full price for it tho.
Fighting in the car was just so much fun.

With less junk missions, and the nemesis system, it could've been a great game.

Attacking the convoys was thrilling, though I wish it had some climb mechanics, so you could jump on enemy trucks and replicate Fury Road.
Yeah Uncharted 4's chase sequence is more Fury Road than anything in Mad Max the game

Budi

Considering the reception EZA anime show got here, I guess here would be good place to ask about Danganronpa. I have Trigger Happy Havoc and Goodbye Despair wishlisted on Steam, the winter sale started and I'm thinking of buying them. I know Ben loves them atleast and I don't want to look too deep into the games since I want to be somewhat surprised by them. So they are good, right? And these are mainline games, not some spinoffs? There's nothing wrong with the PC versions? It says Visual Novel on the tags, but there's more to these games than just clicking through dialogue and watching at talking heads? Can person who doesn't identify as otaku enjoy these games? Is it a continuous story between the games, should I skip the first one and go straight to Goodbye Despair?

If someone could answer any of these questions or just sell me on the games, I would appreciate it!

Edit: I don't mind if games are bit lighter on the gameplay. Afterall, I'm buying Telltale Batman at the same sale.

Jonnax

Considering the reception EZA anime show got here, I guess here would be good place to ask about Danganronpa. I have Trigger Happy Havoc and Goodbye Despair wishlisted on Steam, the winter sale started and I'm thinking of buying them. I know Ben loves them atleast and I don't want to look too deep into the games since I want to be somewhat surprised by them. So they are good, right? And these are mainline games, not some spinoffs? There's nothing wrong with the PC versions? It says Visual Novel on the tags, but there's more to these games than just clicking through dialogue and watching at talking heads? Can person who doesn't identify as otaku enjoy these games? Is it a continuous story between the games, should I skip the first one and go straight to Goodbye Despair?

If someone could answer any of these questions or just sell me on the games, I would appreciate it!

Edit: I don't mind if games are bit lighter on the gameplay. Afterall, I'm buying Telltale Batman at the same sale.

Yes. The games are excellent.
There is gameplay so it's not a typical visual novel where you're just clicking through text and making binary choises.

Play 1 and 2. 2 has a bit of Otaku pandering in it which is annoying because after playing 1 I remarked it was a breath of fresh air without it.

Apparently the spin off game Despair Girls is crap.

Also there's an anime which acts as a conclusion to the series. Danganronpa 3.
Don't watch it. 1 and 2 round off the story perfectly well.

It's like Golden Sun 1 and 2. Nothing that Dark Dawn bought to the table reached the excellence of the original 2 games because they told a complete story that didn't require sequels.

Auctopus

Just finished the Nier: Automata demo. I knew it was going to be good but that was seriously great. It might've become Day 1 for me (or at least Day 1 after reviews).

I've been mega hyped for Nier: Automata but I have some major reservations after the demo

Asset reusage, cheap looking areas, repetitive encounter design (turret guys spawn at both sides of the room.........uh then they spawn again, yeah sure), and I can already tell the forced perspective shit is going to get irritating

Still:

Incredible combat, music, animation, character design, and promise of story.

Absolutely my most anticipated game still, but I'm definitely not as pure 100% hyped as I was from just trailers

Is Huber saying he doesn't think Aliens is an action film as controversial as Kyle saying The Witness (or was that Portal?) is not a puzzle game?

These people must be stopped.

Auctopus

I totally get you there.

- That environment could get very old quick.
- The combat rooms, despite being a staple of the genre, were completely copy/paste.
- The boss fight was more of a QTE than some people would probably care to admit.

However, the feel of the combat definitely makes up for some of that.

Quick question, perfect evade is done by pressing the R2 button at the right time. For a perfect counter, did I need to press R2 as well as the face buttons because I couldn't do them as consistently as the evades.

I totally get you there.

- That environment could get very old quick.
- The combat rooms, despite being a staple of the genre, were completely copy/paste.
- The boss fight was more of a QTE than some people would probably care to admit.

However, the feel of the combat definitely makes up for some of that.

Quick question, perfect evade is done by pressing the R2 button at the right time. For a perfect counter, did I need to press R2 as well as the face buttons because I couldn't do them as consistently as the evades.
I actually don't know about that, but I would recommend mapping evade to either R1 or L1

Having R2 to evade and R1 to fire was too weird for me, I put fire on L1 and evade on R1 and it made a huge difference

It's kind of crazy how you can just mash evade to constantly dodge with no penalty.....game breaking even lol

The boss fight is really not very good. I dig the sawblade things (more so in my second playthrough) but the big last fight is just slowly chipping at its health until the cutscenes do big damage for you, finishing off with like 5 super powered robot arm hits

Auctopus

I don't remember a single QTE in the boss fight.

QTE wasn't really the right word but I was expecting it to be a ground level fight but you only do about a 1/5 of the health before it becomes platforming/ace combat etc. down to half health before you just
smack it on the head with its own arm

Not that I'm complaining, really entertaining fight.

I actually don't know about that, but I would recommend mapping evade to either R1 or L1

Having R2 to evade and R1 to fire was too weird for me, I put fire on L1 and evade on R1 and it made a huge difference

I played it again and I think I figured it out. The menu says "Counter (with perfect evade)" - I think you have to press an attack at a certain moment after a perfect evade.

Budi

Yes. The games are excellent.

All right, thank you very much! I guess I'll start by just buying the first one for now. Need to play it before the sale ends, if I end up loving it so I can pick up the sequel too.

Edit: To hell with it, I just noticed there's a bundle for them together. Would save couple of bucks. If I don't like them I blame Ben, not you Jonnax =P

WarRock

I haven't played the second one (yet), but the first Danganronpa is one of the best games of the last generation that nobody played. Great script, nice characters, stylish visual presentation and awesome soundtrack.

Fortunately they ported both games to multiple platforms and localized them!

Karu

It's like Golden Sun 1 and 2. Nothing that Dark Dawn bought to the table reached the excellence of the original 2 games because they told a complete story that didn't require sequels.
That's probably gaming disappointment numero uno. Man, what a let down. :-/

Lost Age was and is in my Top 5.

The Danganronpa games are both currently on sale for PC in the Winter Sale as well...

In the UK, both D1 and D2 in a bundle are £25
Ooooooh, waiting for the PS4 versions before I replay through them for the first time tho

These are my GotY because I first played them this year. So good.

I want to try Another Episode too. I stopped watching Danganronpa 3 after the second episode because I was afraid to watch the third, but someone spoiled for me that it's safe to watch the third. But apparently at some point there are Another Episode spoilers so I'm still gonna wait.

UrbanRats

I've been mega hyped for Nier: Automata but I have some major reservations after the demo

Asset reusage, cheap looking areas, repetitive encounter design (turret guys spawn at both sides of the room.........uh then they spawn again, yeah sure), and I can already tell the forced perspective shit is going to get irritating

Still:

Incredible combat, music, animation, character design, and promise of story.

Absolutely my most anticipated game still, but I'm definitely not as pure 100% hyped as I was from just trailers
I'm honestly more hyped now that I know the gameplay feels right.

Asset reusable did worry me a bit, but not too much if the final game can manage enough enemy variety.

Speaking of games I'm glad I didn't pay $60 for, Mafia 3. The combat is great, the story is told pretty well and I love the characters and the music. However, this game feels incomplete and very repetitive.
Like, the fact that they couldn't film full cutscenes for some characters just feels so freaking lazy. It makes me so mad sometimes.
And the repetitive nature of find out what's going on in this area, destroy the rackets, recruit the underbosses, go after the main boss, rinse and repeat 8 more times is just the most like WTF were they thinking decisions I've ever seen.
Despite that, I'm still enjoying it in short bursts and I want to see how it ends so I'll complete it more than likely. Sigh, what could've been?

J-Skee

Just finished the podcast & it made me want to go back to the first EZA podcast. Good times. But then I had the idea of listening to an old GT Time episode & it looks like Defy killed the RSS feed for it. I would assume the only way to catch those would be on YouTube? And while I'm on the subject, did the podcast videos under Viacom ever make it to YouTube? I never saw what was in Damiani's mug back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom