• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
A bit of a facepalm during the PS Plus question.

How much does it cost Sony to run SFV's multiplayer?

It costs them nothing. Capcom has their own servers for matchmaking (which are kinda terrible), but once a connection is established everything is peer to peer between the players. There are no bandwidth costs of any sort for Sony.

Charging for P2P online is an absolute scam. At least Microsoft is using dedicated servers this generation.

It costs them nothing. Capcom has their own servers for matchmaking (which are kinda terrible), but once a connection is established everything is peer to peer between the players. There are no bandwidth costs of any sort for Sony.

Charging for P2P online is an absolute scam. At least Microsoft is using dedicated servers this generation.

Only for a handful of games, the vast majority are still P2P.

I doubt Sony would've dared stick online play under PS+ if Microsoft hadn't fucked up so badly in 2013 but given what we were facing at the time, it was pretty understandable that no-one seemed to care.

Hasney

Nah, they were going to do it this generation regardless. MS made it a norm so they could see it being easy money. With or without the fuck up, they'd be charging.

jett

D-Member
Only for a handful of games, the vast majority are still P2P.

Well that sucks.

I doubt Sony would've dared stick online play under PS+ if Microsoft hadn't fucked up so badly in 2013 but given what we were facing at the time, it was pretty understandable that no-one seemed to care.

Nah it was inevitable. Microsoft was making money hand over first with XBL, there is no way Sony would miss out on that for another generation.

The latest podcast was a really good way to get more insight into the Allies especially that last love and respect statement. That should've been done with everyone involved.

Budi

A bit of an update on the Danganronpa situation, I've played it for an hour now. So just finished the prologue. I'm not certain what to do next, continue or hit the refund. I think I'll play for 50 minutes more and decide after that. It seems like the game opens up now and it's not just reading anymore. Do the characters get more interesting and have more depth when getting further? I was shaking my head at most of the introductions, they seemed to be very one note characters. And not exactly believable.

I was constantly thinking that this isn't just for me, but at the same time I'm extremely intrigued to see what is going to happen. Very conflicted about this. What is the thing that makes these games so great, what am I looking forward to? Also I had no idea what to pick at the difficulty settings in the start so I just left them be, did I fuck up?

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
A bit of an update on the Danganronpa situation, I've played it for an hour now. So just finished the prologue. I'm not certain what to do next, continue or hit the refund. I think I'll play for 50 minutes more and decide after that. It seems like the game opens up now and it's not just reading anymore. Do the characters get more interesting and have more depth when getting further? I was shaking my head at most of the introductions, they seemed to be very one note characters. And not exactly believable.

I was constantly thinking that this isn't just for me, but at the same time I'm extremely intrigued to see what is going to happen. Very conflicted about this. What is the thing that makes these games so great, what am I looking forward for? Also I had no idea what to pick at the difficulty settings in the start so I just left them be, did I fuck up?

The appeal of Dangan Ronpa at least for me is just to revel in the insanity of a story that is incredibly Japanese in the best ways. There's just nothing quite like that.
It's maybe bit like pacific rim in the sense that, that movie is also mostly reveling in the insanity of the ridiculousness of what's happening on screen? Definitely not for everyone.

Budi

The appeal of Dangan Ronpa at least for me is just to revel in the insanity of a story that is incredibly Japanese in the best ways. There's just nothing quite like that.
It's maybe bit like pacific rim in the sense that, that movie is also mostly reveling in the insanity of the ridiculousness of what's happening on screen? Definitely not for everyone.

All right, well that bit is kinda working for me since I do want to know what the hell is going on and whatever crazy things might happen. I guess I just need to fix my mindset and not except Obsidian or CDPR level of writing.

Edit: I dig Monokuma! I hope he "wins" in the end.
There's no way to play the game with japanese voices and english text?

Saw this on my twitter feed and couldn't stop laughing. I think it summarizes recent events and the greatness of TTE in general

C0XljSGXEAAMojP.jpg

WarRock

I was constantly thinking that this isn't just for me, but at the same time I'm extremely intrigued to see what is going to happen. Very conflicted about this. What is the thing that makes these games so great, what am I looking forward to? Also I had no idea what to pick at the difficulty settings in the start so I just left them be, did I fuck up?
Yes, they'll get more depth. It's supposed to start looking like light a bunch of generic tropes. Give it a couple of deaths.

Karu

I really like the level design of a lot of the outposts or whatever they're called, but yeah it's definitely one of those "solid 7s" nothing else that particularly stands out.
As a fan of the Jim Sterling review method (and movie/book reviews in general), I would probably rate it around a 3 or 4 out of 10, but that's just me. :D

You mentioned going back to DriveClub on a recent podcast, would you be up for a "What's DriveClub been up to?"-stream after the holidays? Would be really appreciated! Probably still my favourite game of this generation together with Bloodborne and Transistor. Certainly my fav Sony 1st party game. Really enjoyed your Forza Horizon stream also.

Dangonronpa, the 1 & 2 collection will be a purchase for me. And if I like those, 3 also. Really like that they made an effort to bringing all those Vita games to other platforms.

Nier Automata and Gravity Rush 2 demos have me hyped. Especially Nier was awesome. Propelled to a Day One purchase, no question.

arkon

Got a good chuckle out of Kyle's story about being interrupted during important story moments or endings in games. Takes me back to my childhood and the typical situations where I was literally dragged away from the console because my mum got fed up of calling out for me to get my dinner.

Dude...this is epic :D

The vast majority of Xbox One games use p2p multiplayer hosting just like last gen and many of the games that do use dedicated hosting do so on PS4 as well (this is basically all at the publisher's expense FWIT).

But...At least PlayStation Plus started as game subscription service with additional convenience features like cloud saves and automatic patching. I was a subscriber from the beginning and have never regretted a cent of it. By contrast MS was indeed just charging people $50/month for 10 years to not block p2p game hosting and not block subscription streaming services. It was truly an unmitigated ripoff. Luckily for Xbox gamers they were finally shamed by PlayStation into actually offering something of value with Games for Gold.

Anyway you slice it I'm getting 72 games a year from PS Plus for $60 plus ongoing access to a library of literally hundreds of past offerings at this point. You don't have to love every single game each month for that to be an incredible deal.

PS: I'm convinced one of the main reason PSN downloads are typically slower for people than Xbox downloads is because Microsoft pays blood money to all the big ISPs to make sure their traffic gets priority access. It makes sense since this is an ecosystem of CDNs that also serve Microsoft's OS customers and cloud platform so getting preferential treatment for their data transmissions is a bigger issue than just gaming.

Nah, they were going to do it this generation regardless. MS made it a norm so they could see it being easy money. With or without the fuck up, they'd be charging.

Nah it was inevitable. Microsoft was making money hand over first with XBL, there is no way Sony would miss out on that for another generation.

Even in 2013 when they were going all out? I dunno, it always seemed to me like they saw the perfect opportunity to get it in while no-one would care and went through with it. If Microsoft hadn't fucked up so horrendously (and had better exclusives), that move would've made me seriously consider moving over to Xbox because I was really fed up with PSN at the time.

That said, personally, it really doesn't matter to me. I barely even play online but my PS+ sub gives me like 10-15 games I actually want per year, lets me play all the games from previous years AND gives me online save backups (which was the initial reason I subbed in the first place). So PS+ is well worth the money for me.

Merry Christmas 🎄 to all the allies ;)it's already Christmas eve in my part of the world

Oh yeah, well it's 20 minutes away from Christmas here. :p

Happy Holidays, peeps.

I should probably go to bed already.

Auctopus

Haven't heard the whole podcast yet but a quick note about the aesthetic/art direction conversation.

I don't believe aesthetic = art direction but art direction does = aesthetic. Art Direction is far more important in terms of a game's longevity compared to its general aesthetic.

Art Direction is the reason why MGS still looks good today, it's the reason that Dark Souls 2 will age before Dark Souls 1 too. It's the reason that some PS1 games now look utterly horrendous and some of have stood the test of time.

The vast majority of Xbox One games use p2p multiplayer hosting just like last gen and many of the games that do use dedicated hosting do so on PS4 as well (this is basically all at the publisher's expense FWIT).

But...At least PlayStation Plus started as game subscription service with additional convenience features like cloud saves and automatic patching. I was a subscriber from the beginning and have never regretted a cent of it. By contrast MS was indeed just charging people $50/month for 10 years to not block p2p game hosting and not block subscription streaming services. It was truly an unmitigated ripoff. Luckily for Xbox gamers they were finally shamed by PlayStation into actually offering something of value with Games for Gold.

Anyway you slice it I'm getting 72 games a year from PS Plus for $60 plus ongoing access to a library of literally hundreds of past offerings at this point. You don't have to love every single game each month for that to be an incredible deal.

That's the main reason I'm not as bummed about paid-multiplayer as I should be. I never bought an Xbox for this reason. And even if Sony is now charging for mp, at least it raised the bar.

El-Suave

Merry Christmas everybody! EZA has brought so much joy this year and we got Last Guardian and FF XV within two weeks, it has been pretty amazing. Found DQ: Builders under the tree, too.

Wiggy

merry christmas everyone!

And crazy bump for the patreon, must be some ally's way of wishing the gang a merry christmas

Slevin

Where is all this momentum coming from on the increased patrons? Did the YouTube Live and Game Awards appearances cause this? I figured their Patreon had reached its limit at 37,000 and would either stay there or steadily decrease over time. Either way this is fantastic news.

Ok who donated $800 to get to $40k

It was at $39.2K earlier today. I saw on patreon a push to get the final $900 maybe more bumped their pledge than I expected?

Hopefully it stays and we get the Damiani show

Axass

Ok who donated $800 to get to $40k

It was at $39.2K earlier today. I saw on patreon a push to get the final $900 maybe more bumped their pledge than I expected?

Hopefully it stays and we get the Damiani show

Mango said on Patreon he upped his pledge, so probably a bunch of hundreds dollars come from him. Maybe some of the other 500 tier guys upped their pledge too.

Where is all this momentum coming from on the increased patrons? Did the YouTube Live and Game Awards appearances cause this? I figured their Patreon had reached its limit at 37,000 and would either stay there or steadily decrease over time. Either way this is fantastic news.

Patreon apparently sent a mail around the 12th to all ex-patrons, asking them to reconsider backing. All Patreon projects got a huge boost.

Budi

I bet that Schick Hydrobot became a Patron! Maybe we hear about him in the first half time podcast next year.

Ruruja

Merry Christmas EZA.

Been a great year (EZA-wise), L&R.

Can't wait for E3 2017 personally, last year was so damn cosy and perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom