• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDM |OT| Future Flo-Rida Hits

Aomber

Yeah this isn't a good song lol. I really wish they didn't do something of this style, Daft Punk could have easily done something down the line of Can't Feel My Face but this is just a very repetitive hip hop beat. I read someone saying that you can almost imagine this being a beat loop from a 1980s casio keyboard and to be honest I'm not about to disagree with that, maybe just better produced. Lyrically it doesn't have much to say either with it more or less being about his McLaren and Lambo with a pretty forgettable melody and some uninspired harmonies.

Pass.

Cagey

Banned
Catching a Gareth Emery show tonight.

Ok, after a few to multiple listens of that new Tritonal album. It's decent. If you are a person who craves that festival/EDM shit, don't listen to it. It does have some of their older sound. I'm drunk right now but there are a few tracks that reminds you that, "hey we are still the Tritonal you know."

I would recommend it to people who enjoy what The Chainsmokers, Vicetone, Hellberg, Zedd, Martin Garrix, Hardwell are doing lately. Alot of vocals and pop influences. As a pop album it is below average. As a pop-edm album, it is absolutely one of this years best album. The productions are good, the flow from each song (albeit not as good) is still decent. A solid 3/5 from me.
When you say Tritonals older stuff, what version of them are you referring to?

Catching a Gareth Emery show tonight.

When you say Tritonals older stuff, what version of them are you referring to?

Sorry, my keyword there was 'drunk'. Listening to it again, it's their early Prog House transition. Stuff like Anchor, Electric Glow, Colors. It's not as good as those but it's just there to remind fans who stuck around that they can still make tracks that are similar to the aforementioned songs.

Aomber

IM AT MIIKE SNOW AND HOLY FUCK THIS IS UNREAL BOYS

ALSO - I bought Forza horizon 3 and the music in this game is top notch. Justice, chvrches, flume, wave racer, Oliver Heldens, diplo, all about that. Also there is a whole radio station dedicated to drum and bass which is amazing

Aomber

Music Video of Starboy is out

The Weeknd - Starboy ft. Daft Punk

I did a little bit of research on this song and I now know why I wasn't a fan of this. If we were to go off just the title it would be safe to assume that The Weeknd and Daft Punk worked on this song together and that's it, obviously, because Daft Punk are producers right?

Turns out that's not the case and there are actually several other producers/writers on the track. From a creative standpoint, very often when producers work with many other people the sound of the song will change a lot, which is why it doesn't sound entirely like a Daft Punk song asides from a couple of elements. It wouldn't be fair to give them so much credit for how different this song is to their others because they weren't the only guys behind it. As for the title of the song - in my opinion this was a clear marketing move. For all we know Daft Punk contributed the least amount to the song, just saying they're "featured" doesn't really mean a whole lot. Daft Punk worked on a couple of songs on Yeezus with several other writers & producers - you can see how those turned out as clear examples.

Sources:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starboy_(song)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yeezus

Prepare for Starboy remixes is all I have to say. Especially since Daft Punk was featured on Starboy. Also prepare for new Chainsmoker's remixes since they're releasing their newest junk Friday. I'm only excited because Phoebe Ryan's on it.

Aomber

DJ Hanzel (Dillon Francis) B2B Drezo live @ mixmag right now

https://www.facebook.com/MixmagMagazine/videos/10154139748891026/

Also Zedd released a song for the League of Legends Championships. It's clearly targeting that audience, he flat out said he collaborated with the team on this one so it's obvious they asked him to do something pretty specific. It's definitely not as good as his other similarly styled songs, I could critique it but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt since it's not really a "traditional" single coming from him - ex. Adrenaline was more interesting even though it wasn't my cup of tea.

Worlds 2016: Zedd - Ignite

The one thing I'll say about Zedd is I really wish he applied his more electro, hard sound to pop singles. The work he did on Gaga's Artpop was a great example of that - I feel like that would make him more distinct for the radio waves.
Prepare for Starboy remixes is all I have to say. Especially since Daft Punk was featured on Starboy. Also prepare for new Chainsmoker's remixes since they're releasing their newest junk Friday. I'm only excited because Phoebe Ryan's on it.

How soon until we see some shitty future bass remix of Starboy on Proximity?

Aomber

I'd give it a couple of weeks but I wouldn't be surprised if we hear some next month or so.

I also keep forgetting that Zedd plays videogames lol.

Yeah many producers play video games, honestly that's how a lot of them get into producing in the first place. I grew up playing piano and other instruments but I was also one of those kids who was on the computer way too much playing games or dicking around with some kinda program. I've had a lot of people approach me about starting producing and almost none of them kept it up because they weren't that type of person.

Probably the most obvious examples otherwise are deadmau5 and also Porter Robinson, he recently did a stream where he played Stepmania to his new song w/ Madeon and previously did a stream where he walked around several MMOs. A lot of the inspiration behind Worlds and his music in general stems from video games.

https://www.facebook.com/porterrobinsonmusic/videos/1197622453629676/

I wonder who else plays videogames?

Yo, has anybody been to a Zomboy concert? Dude's coming here for the Zombie Pub Crawl and I think I'm going with my brother and his friends. How is Zomboy live? Does he play alot of dubstep?

Aomber

Yo, has anybody been to a Zomboy concert? Dude's coming here for the Zombie Pub Crawl and I think I'm going with my brother and his friends. How is Zomboy live? Does he play alot of dubstep?

Saw him open for infected mushroom. He played only dubstep but I saw him 3 years ago so take it with a grain of salt.

Man.... I hope he doesn't play too much dubstep and at least varies it up with some trap. If he does, I might just walk around and go to a barclub.

saw him at EDC and he killed it! but it was pretty much all Dub

Aomber

lhoIINA.png

I fucking love this guy

Zomboy is one of my favorite producers, but the one live show I went to was underwhelming. It's like he was trying to fit as many songs as possible into his time slot. Didn't spend more than 30 secs on any one song.

Urgh. I'm sure I'll be drunk and stumbling around so I may or may not enjoy it/ignore how his set is going. Dude is starting around 1am.... I'm probably going to be blackout drunk before midnight :/

I just checked the others before him..... They don't have any recent tracks. I think one is a local dubstep producer. It doesn't bode well.

The last two years we had Seven Lions (2015) and Steve Aoki (2014)..... Fuuuuuuck. I can't believe I missed Seven Lions and Steve Aoki's crazy antics. This year we are having Zomboy, Rae Sremmurd, Smash Mouth, Andrew W.K., and Ja Rule. The rest that aren't EDM focused seems good but I'm not a huge listener of them.

Aomber

Nice song right here! While Galantis always seems to stick to one tempo, it's cool how they seem to naturally evolve their sound as artists, borrowing sounds from previous records and introducing new ones. This definitely gives me peanut butter jelly & no money vibes, but with new very soulful elements and feelings. Just a good vibes, fun song, lyrics aren't anything crazy - super simple but get stuck in your head like a worm, great chords, and that Galantis touch added to it. I'll be honest, I'm not 100% sure what Hook N Sling contributed to this one lol, he doesn't really have a "sound" so it's hard to tell, but nevertheless they created a great song together. They actually took snippets of recordings of a full orchestra they recorded with which is cool.

Only thing I wish is that Galantis wasn't so "EDM". Honestly their songwriting is great but it's never as genius as it could potentially be - for example they add a little snare build up to all their songs that never needs to be there. The song could have more room for some really neat musical content but instead those EDM moments take up more space than I'd personally like.

Galantis & Hook N Sling - Love On Me (Official Audio)

rObit

Banned
Nice song right here! While Galantis always seems to stick to one tempo, it's cool how they seem to naturally evolve their sound as artists, borrowing sounds from previous records and introducing new ones. This definitely gives me peanut butter jelly & no money vibes, but with new very soulful elements and feelings. Just a good vibes, fun song, lyrics aren't anything crazy - super simple but get stuck in your head like a worm, great chords, and that Galantis touch added to it. I'll be honest, I'm not 100% sure what Hook N Sling contributed to this one lol, he doesn't really have a "sound" so it's hard to tell, but nevertheless they created a great song together. They actually took snippets of recordings of a full orchestra they recorded with which is cool.

Only thing I wish is that Galantis wasn't so "EDM". Honestly their songwriting is great but it's never as genius as it could potentially be - for example they add a little snare build up to all their songs that never needs to be there. The song could have more room for some really neat musical content but instead those EDM moments take up more space than I'd personally like.

Galantis & Hook N Sling - Love On Me (Official Audio)

Beat me to it! Was just going to post this. Honestly I'm not quite feeling it. I'm definitely hearing the same influences as you, but to me it just feels like they took some of the sounds from No Money and made a less-catchy Peanut Butter Jelly with it. Maybe I'm just not feeling the hook, idk.

The Flumesmokers just released their newest single

The Chainsmokers - All We Know ft. Phoebe Ryan [Premiere]

It's kind of like a slightly punchier Oh Wonder track. I can dig it.

Welp Aomber, I was wrong. A remix of Flumesmoker's All We Know (hah, love it) came out today by TH3 DARP. Lol, goddamn. Pretty soon we're going to have remixes coming out after a minute from a song's release :p

mr stroke

Just got back from Life Is Beautiful Vegas and wow Flume owned it. A litttle disappointed he didn't play anything new, and just all his hits (crowd went nuts at Never be like you) and album songs. Still a great set.

I would die to see a a 4-5 hour Flume set in a small club or maybe even a boiler room set some day.

Anth0ny

what websites do you guys follow for new music? I follow all of my favorite artists on soundcloud, but sometimes it's kinda hard to sift through all of the reposts and, well... crap.

Mainly interested in electro house/future house/dubstep/deep house. right now, besides soundcloud, I'm mostly discovering music from going to raves or listening to sets on youtube and downloading individual songs by going through the setlist. There has to be an easier way! <3

Aomber

what websites do you guys follow for new music? I follow all of my favorite artists on soundcloud, but sometimes it's kinda hard to sift through all of the reposts and, well... crap.

Mainly interested in electro house/future house/dubstep/deep house. right now, besides soundcloud, I'm mostly discovering music from going to raves or listening to sets on youtube and downloading individual songs by going through the setlist. There has to be an easier way! <3
I'd check out some blogs, podcasts of artists and follow some music youtube channels that post music in X or Y genre &#8211; but real talk? Most EDM sucks. At the end of the day however you choose to find good music, that's gonna happen.

Honestly? I find most of my new music by Youtube suggestions and reddit. Listening to random Tritonal songs brought me to BRKLYN, random Coone podcast's brought me to Sephyx, Radical Redemption, etc. Soundcloud barely directs me to new songs or producers. Other way? Mostly here with our EDM group ^_^

Listening to podcast's that relate to you will introduce you to many new songs and producers.

mr stroke

Podcasts and BBC radio one will get you a TON of new music every week

Top Bottom